Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
I am curious and I couldn't find anything definitive with a variety of search terms so here goes:

Was there a method for how the Marro heroes are named?
No, not really. We liked the three names with dashes. I think Rob came up with that in the beginning.

Some of them were named after family and people who worked at Hasbro/MB.

Su-Bak-Na
Was named after Chris Schubach, she was in charge of all the copy, the cards, the rules, everything.

Me-Burq-Sa
Was named after Mike Burque. He was a cost engineer for Heroscape.

Tor-Kul-Na
Is named after my twin boys, Troy and Luke. Tor (no Y) and Kul (no E)

Also, really strange names are easier to clear legally.
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaFossil View Post
As a fan of miniature games (and Heroscape newb, as my signature states,), what tips would you give someone who's trying to make their own miniature game?
Try to come up with something that is new and different. That's not that easy, because it requires a game designer to know what has been done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaFossil
PS If I make my game, I want Heroscapers to be able to use it. What's the standard mm size of the minis?
Drake Alexander is 6 ft. We based all the sculpts around his height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaFossil
PPS How do I sign up to beta-test your new games?
send me a private message with your email address
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Craig,

First off I want to thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions. It really speaks to your authenticity and passion for your games.

Secondly I want to thank you for standing by Heroscape over the years. I remember seeing the first master set and Mimrings artwork during the 2004 holiday season. I knew I had to have it. It was the only thing on my Christmas list. I was 11. I then joined Heroscapers in 2006.
This game and website, as many here can attest, changed my life and gave me an escape in an otherwise turbulent childhood. Quite simply put, your game was a savior for me and I will always be thankful for that.

On a less sappy note I do have a question!
I am a big sucker for story development. What was the basic train of thought while developing the basis of the Heroscape storyline?
I love the idea of it being Sgt. Drakes journey. But how did this soldier's story get infused into a traditional lore, like Valhalla and the Kyries. Which is very Norse.
chief,
Thank you for your kind words.

The idea of Norse Valhalla is not quite family friendly. Fight all day, then feast and drink mead, then do it all again the next day. Forgive my one sentence explanation.
So we wanted to create a Valhalla that was different. A place that could bring heroes and armies from all different time periods and planets. The key, for me to the story, is that the Archkyries save the heroes and armies right before they are about to die (in most cases), giving them a second chance, a new evil to fight, a new mission (if you were on the side of the good guys).
I have always been a big fan of Band of Brothers. I think that's why Drake was from that time period.
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
Craig, did the Heroscape Design Team ever get a direct acknowledgement from Higher that shipping two Orm's Return for every Road to the Forgotten Forest was a mistake. I know that it was reversed in later printings and large expansions, but I was just wondering if you guys got a direct statement from someone that they understood what a mistake that turned out to be.
Yes, we knew that was a mistake. We recommended 2 of the forest pack for every one big figure pack. Somethings are under your control and some are not. Players buy more of the expansions that could be repeat purchase items.

There seems to have been a similar mistake made with the release of Common Squads and Unique Heroes. Once Squad-Scape caught on as a strategy, everyone wanted multiples of the commons and maybe some of us bought a second pack of the heroes. I can remember seeing several heroes packs still on the store shelves or finding them in the Clearance aisle when all of the 'good' common squad packs were long gone.

I always felt that the figure distribution in the expansion Waves was poorly handled. For example, I personally purchased ten packs of 4th Mass and 10th Reg for reenacting Revolutionary War era scenarios, but in the process, I also obtained ten sets of Anubian and Badru wolves that I did not want - five of each would have been sufficient, hehehe.

In hindsight do you think that the British Red Coats and Colonial Militia squads should have been packaged with two Unique or Uncommon heroes such as a Captain/Lieutenant and Quartermaster/Sergeant accompany them instead of the wolves? Perhaps even a second squad of sharpshooters or rangers that were related thematically? And I mean this question as a pattern for all of the production runs, i.e. (IMHO) Taelord and Runa should have been packaged with the Minions of Utgar, etc.
Early on, we were trying to make this story a battle for all time. we tried to grow all the armies at the same time. I think that's why we mixed them up, so you would collect more.

If I could do it over, Commons and Uniques would never come in the same assortment. One you purchase once, and the other you might purchase more than once.
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
It seems like Heroscape really drew from Viking mythology. Whose decision was that? I'm not complaining, Vikings are awesome, but I was just thinking about how many Viking references there are in the game and they are all over the place, from the faction names, to various units.
I think it was more about the Kyrie, less about the vikings. We liked the idea of a winged race. Norse mythology was a good place to start, we gave players something familiar but different.
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Stranger View Post
Allow me to be the billionth person to thank you for helping to create one of my favorite games bar none.
And I have to ask...who first came up with the concept for the Marro? They're my all-time favorites.
Dark Stranger,
Marro- We knew we wanted a skeleton race, but we wanted the race to look different than regular skeletons. Bob Naismith, Heroscape sculptor, drew up some different sketches. He is great at coming up with different races. He would sketch up all these different races, and often write little facts about their weapons or their alien features. We liked the Marro Warriors, and since they more fleshy than regular skeletons, they would be easier to mold. I think Rob came up with the name.
Once we had the look for our skeleton alien race it was kinda easy to expand it. I love the way a huge Marro army looks on a giant battlefield!
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:16 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

I would like to say that Heroscape is my all-time favourite game and that I/we are eternally grateful to you and your team for creating such an awesome game, Thank you.

As for my question, how big is your collection? Do you have multiples of everything? I'd love to know the details.
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
This is the first thread over two pages long that I have read in its entirety. Thank you for not only designing a game that so fantastically captures imagination and brings out the inner child in us, Craig, but also even half a decade later taking the time to come and be a part of the community that you made possible.
Thank you for the kind words. I can't take all the credit. I have said this before, but the Heroscape team is responsible, everybody who worked on it. Stephen Baker designed the terrain, which, early on, IMO really caused Heroscape to take off.

Heroscapers is a great community with so many creative and talented people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
While I have my doubts as to the ease of reacquiring the HeroScape license (let alone the patents for things like the brilliant terrain) or efficiently making a profit now that Arena of the Planeswalkers has proven that corners can be cut and people will still buy it (I doubt Hasbro is keen on going back to the expansive terrain fields and painted minis, or even letting someone else compete with their new product), the simple fact that you want to do it is reassuring and inspires a glimmer of hope. I wish you the best of luck in getting Soaring Rhino off the ground so that you can eventually build up the resources to accomplish this. How are things looking for the company now? I saw that the Kickstarter failed, but it seems that production has continued nonetheless and expansions are under development?
I am a person who believes things happen for a reason. Yes, we cancelled our first KS because we knew we were not going to hit our number. We think that this was a good thing. We listened and we learned.

We created a new cover that tells more of the story of the Shifting Realms.
We created all new art for the too green gameboards.
We created new card art.
We changed from normal meeples to cool custom meeples.
We created new graphics.
This go around we are reaching out to online reviewers.

We will be launching our new and improved Shifting Realms KS sometime in October 2017.

Jeff and I are really excited about the game we have now, and to be honest, if we hit our first KS, I don't think the game would have changed.

Our website is up- soaringrhino.com
We announced the names of additional titles for 2018.

You can see pictures of the new Shifting Realms art here-
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ings?comment=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
Also, was there ever an end to the war planned as some form of closure (even if it was just for Sergeant Drake getting home), or was it envisioned as an endless story? After finding the journals and other bits of lore from Valhalla, I have to say that it's gotten me hooked, and I bemoan the little content available for Aquilla and Valkrill.
Drake and his crew were driving the story, especially after swarm of the marro came out. Colby wrote most of the journals and I wrote the early ones, which were... not that good. I always looked forward to getting a batch of journals from Colby.

At one point, we talked about sending Drake back home to earth to make way for a new group of heroes.
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEROSCAPERMTL View Post
I would like to say that Heroscape is my all-time favourite game and that I/we are eternally grateful to you and your team for creating such an awesome game, Thank you.

As for my question, how big is your collection? Do you have multiples of everything? I'd love to know the details.
My collection is pretty big. I have lots of unopened product. Multiple copies.

As far as terrain, I have many huge bins in my basement. For example, I have about 20+ fortress sets. These come in handy for those epic heroscape game nights.

I have many many figures and cards. I made boxes for them. I probably have at least 5 sets of every common card/figures.

That being said, I know at one point there were players who made my collection look tiny!
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEROSCAPERMTL View Post

My collection is pretty big. I have lots of unopened product. Multiple copies.

As far as terrain, I have many huge bins in my basement. For example, I have about 20+ fortress sets. These come in handy for those epic heroscape game nights.

I have many many figures and cards. I made boxes for them. I probably have at least 5 sets of every common card/figures.

That being said, I know at one point there were players who made my collection look tiny!
Didn't you flock a couple of sets? I think you mentioned that to me once. I'd love to see a picture of how they look!
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:38 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

This has come up in a couple of conversations I've had with friends, family, and other heroscapers since I've acquired all of the Flag Bearers about 3wks ago.

Why is the Utgar D20 the same as a regular D20?
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I . . . don't think it is. Precisely.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 6th, 2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: was that a joke? i know there's a smiley thing, but i'm not sure...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion