Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old October 6th, 2022, 05:49 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Folks can't actually think it's financially feasible or maybe I give too much credit as to how much the average fan knows about the inner workings of things (not that I know much, just enough to get in trouble). That's not to say it can't be a deal breaker for some, of course it can, I just disagree if the argument is about value as opposed to personal preference.
I keep seeing this argument but every time I walk into a FLGS I see boxes and boxes of painted HeroClix figures, and they're not really much more expensive than they were when HS was in production. Somehow, Wizkids, even though they are smaller than Hasbro, has been able to produce thousands of affordable painted minis during the hiatus HS took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

Hasbro works in mysterious ways.
Hasbro works in stupid ways. Not having a video showing gameplay ready to go at launch was a blunder, they had plenty of time to work on it before now.
Old October 6th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Folks can't actually think it's financially feasible or maybe I give too much credit as to how much the average fan knows about the inner workings of things (not that I know much, just enough to get in trouble). That's not to say it can't be a deal breaker for some, of course it can, I just disagree if the argument is about value as opposed to personal preference.
I keep seeing this argument but every time I walk into a FLGS I see boxes and boxes of painted HeroClix figures, and they're not really much more expensive than they were when HS was in production. Somehow, Wizkids, even though they are smaller than Hasbro, has been able to produce thousands of affordable painted minis during the hiatus HS took.
Low quality miniatures in a blind purchase model will do that (they're not all low quality, but a lot of them are and the overall quality is pretty mixed). If they lowered the quality here and moved to a blind purchase model, they *might* be able to do prepainted affordably.

But none of that's going to happen, so kind of a moot discussion point.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 6th, 2022, 07:05 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
So that means the operating theory seems to be that there are 8,000+ existing Heroscape fans eager and willing to buy $250 of this in one chunk.

Does that seem like an accurate expectation on their part? I guess we'll see.
Part of this makes a lot of sense. The campaign wouldn’t exist without the Heroscape community continuing to be so strong and active.

But the part I don’t get is why they don’t seem to care about attracting backers outside the community with this campaign. It’s definitely aimed at those who already know and love it and not friendly to those looking to check it out (at launch anyway, there’s still lots of time).

Which is strange for another reason. This seems really solid as a brand new start to a collection.
This is not what I'm seeing with this campaign. They are marketing it far and wide, and soon will have things like gameplay videos up to explain the game to new players.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurrig View Post
I’m only slightly tempted to back a second set, if only to get more TJ terrain. Once this backs I hope they make another Thaelenk Tundra!
This set includes Thaelenk Tundra, it's just unpainted.
It does not include Thaelenk Tundra. It does include a Ticalla Jungle. I think this is supposed to be a joke, but I didn't get it and wanted to make sure no one is confused.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:08 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
This set includes Thaelenk Tundra, it's just unpainted.
It does not include Thaelenk Tundra. It does include a Ticalla Jungle. I think this is supposed to be a joke, but I didn't get it and wanted to make sure no one is confused.

Batman isn't known for having a sense of humor.
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:55 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I’m hilarious

Quote:
This is not what I'm seeing with this campaign. They are marketing it far and wide, and soon will have things like gameplay videos up to explain the game to new players.
Any more spin and I’d accuse you of being a merry-go-round!

Real talk, though: do you feel the information available about the game on the campaign page itself is at all new player friendly? Or are we just counting on the hypothetical idea that, maybe a week in, they’ll give information to that market?

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 6th, 2022, 08:44 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post

But the part I don’t get is why they don’t seem to care about attracting backers outside the community with this campaign. It’s definitely aimed at those who already know and love it and not friendly to those looking to check it out (at launch anyway, there’s still lots of time).

Which is strange for another reason. This seems really solid as a brand new start to a collection.
So this is exactly my point. They’ll have a gameplay video “soon.” That’s not helping the people landing on the page now and saying what is this?

That’s not marketing it “far and wide.” That’s just saying “hey everyone who loves and misses Heroscape come and get it. And if you don’t know and love it we’ll explain later. Just hang out a while.”

Now I’ll give you this a longer campaign than most crowdfunding campaigns. So it could be deliberate strategy to get the hardcore fans in before really going after the new crowd. Let them come over and see it’s already a third of the way funded. Ok, I’ll go along with that idea, but right now between the lack of any demo, rules, card mechanics, and the high entry point, it’s really not a welcoming campaign for non-scapers IMO.
Old October 7th, 2022, 12:08 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I’m hilarious

Any more spin and I’d accuse you of being a merry-go-round!

Real talk, though: do you feel the information available about the game on the campaign page itself is at all new player friendly? Or are we just counting on the hypothetical idea that, maybe a week in, they’ll give information to that market?
No, I do not feel that what is currently on the crowdfunding page tells new players enough about the game. So far the marketing does not either. However, they have said that they are working on gameplay videos. They've followed through on all of those kinds of statements so far, so I have no reason to doubt them.

I believe they do intend this game to reach new players. Their methods so far leave something to be desired, but I think the intention is there.

And I don't think it is spin to say that things like interviews with polygon, ads on Facebook, etc. are "spreading the news far and wide." If they were being insular they would *only* post on Heroscapers and discord (and maybe the Facebook group) but instead they are running ads, working to beef up the campaign presentation, etc. That's what I'm referring to.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 7th, 2022, 12:37 AM

OK, I think I see the disconnect. We're saying that the fact that they're doing a bad job of marketing to newer players suggests that the don't care about new markets. You agree they're doing a bad job of marketing to newer players but believe they do care about new markets and hopefully their actions will catch up with their intent eventually?

So kind of an intent versus competence argument?

Old October 7th, 2022, 12:45 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I think they also need to do a better job marketing to existing players, the main page still doesn't have much terrain info or specific unit stats/abilities.
Old October 7th, 2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I think they also need to do a better job marketing to existing players, the main page still doesn't have much terrain info or specific unit stats/abilities.
Oh, for sure. I know several people (existing players) who have no intention of backing until they get some ideas about the designs in the set.

Someone like me who's interested in the terrain and would probably just resell the figures has no real reason to back without knowing the exact terrain on offer.

Old October 7th, 2022, 03:09 AM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I haven’t been on this site in years. I still have all my Heroscape (a complete set with many dupes and at least 3 of every common, plus enough terrain to run a small tournament) and will never get rid of it.

I won’t back this. It’s $250 for unpainted plastics. No way!

Ok, I backed it.

Should I buy two sets?

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old October 7th, 2022, 05:18 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Love it! Welcome back.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion