Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
The geography of Valhalla Project

Ok... Heres something we can fool around with waiting for Wave 6...

From the map of Valhalla, we can deduce some facts, and from these, with our knowledge of Earth and our "real world" geophysics, we can then induce some conclusions on the size of Valhalla, and so on.

We will gain nothing but the fruits of our labour, but it should be interesting, no?

So; any geographers, geologists, physicists or anyone bloody interested - please help, as I am by no means an expert, but a mere investigator...

My deductions:
  • Volcarren is Volcanic. Volcanic regions on Earth tend to be equatorial/tropical (please confirm/deny). (note - is it actually just where theres tectonic friction? utterly irrelevant to latitude?)
  • Thalenk is tundra. Tundra regions on Earth tend to be sub-polar (please confirm/deny).
  • The centre of Volcarren is approximately 1100 miles South of the centre of Thalenk (assuming the scale of 200m per box is miles).
  • The Archipelago surrounding Haukeland suggests it's own continental plate.
  • The dissemination of islands between Volcarren and Kinsland suggests separate continental plates. (Which is supported if the supposition above about tectonic plates = volcanic regions is true)

Some other thoughts:
The unnamed region in the South East - seems to be quite marshy. What can this tell us?
What about the attributes of native inhabitants? Moltarns, Dumuteff's, Kyrie, and so on... From expansion pack names, we might be able to deduce where in Valhalla they come from, too...

If you are actually still reading this... I know it is utterly futile, and that the chances of the designer having any thought as to Valhallas geography are slim to none; but hey, what harm can it do to suppose our own metaphysical backstory for the wonderful world of heroscape?

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
hey i dont get the gibber jabber its to much for my brain but yea a good idea i think the marshy lookin areas arnet named cause no body has been able to all the way through to actually see the lands beyond and the obsidean people wont tell them what is there but i could be wrong
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
I have no objections to this at all. Wonderful idea!

Okay, I will give a quick clarification about the volcanic regions.

Volcanoes, geysers, hot springs, etc. are formed either by tectonic friction (much like earth quakes) or magma swells under tectonic plates. Geothermal activity is unaffected by latitude (or longitude). This is evidence to the fact that one of the most volcanically active regions on earth is Iceland. The Pacific tectonic plate is another big geothermal region. The area circling the plate (Argentina to Alaska to Japan to New Zealand) is called the "ring of fire" by geologists. The other kind of geothermal activity is caused by large swells of lava that form under the crust. These can form anywhere on Earth; both the hot springs under Yellowstone and the lava flows in Hawaii are caused by magma swells.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Adam has disabled reputation
or the marshy area towards the southeast could be unnamed because MAYBE they could be making a marsh expansion? COMPLETE THEORY HERE, NO REAL EVIDENCE

WARDEN 816~~The GRIM RAPERBOT
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:12 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
When and if they decide to bring in anything from the remote Island of Haukeland, I bet we could expect something unique. An isolationist type of Island not unlike Australia. Perhaps Haukeland races, Kyrie included, have developed their own looks and civilizations. Strange powers and weapons could start to appear.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM

I always thought the marshy area was a jungle. Or a dense rainforest.

Old November 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Another way of looking at the region is that it is not, in fact, physical, but is instead metaphysical. Both Valhalla and Valkyries are from Norse Mythology. Although Vahallaa would be only a mere building, not a battlefield/continent. And all the Valkyrie would be female ... Hmmm, maybe those aren't just large pecs on Taelord?!?

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:34 PM

That is an interesting take. Let us say that all of the land in Vahalla is based off of Norse mythology. Norse mythology was in turn based off Scandinavian lands. That is today's Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and parts of Germany. Now none of that land was vey tropical, so by this theory the southeast section would be marsh.

Here are some other characteristics of viking controlled land:

* There were lost of deep, cold lakes contrasted by huge, icy moutains
* You have sections of land where lava is literally melting ice
* These lands are surrounded by some of the roughest seas in the Atlantic
* Much of the land is covered in dense forest (I beleive it is mostly coniferous)
* There are a large amount of misty, sheer cliffs on the seashores
* The land that was not covered in forests were usually long hilly plains of grass (think Scotland)
* The land was very sparsely setteled at the time

Old November 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
We do know that Grungebob island is tropical:

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Jotun has disabled reputation
I'd like to imagine that whichever location Vydar dwells in would be a technologically advanced area resembling Necromunda or some post-apocalyptic setting but since much of Vydar comes from Alpha Prime I guess they wouldn't bring all their cool stuff with them. Or would they?
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Another way of looking at the region is that it is not, in fact, physical, but is instead metaphysical. Both Valhalla and Valkyries are from Norse Mythology. Although Vahallaa would be only a mere building, not a battlefield/continent. And all the Valkyrie would be female ... Hmmm, maybe those aren't just large pecs on Taelord?!?
Yeah... In Norse mythology Valhalla is in Asgard, which is on the limb of a giant tree, as is Midgard (where we mere mortals reside), aswell as Hel, Nifelheim, Jotunheim and several others.

Of course, if it is metaphysical - hypothetically speaking - then geography doesnt matter at all. However, as it's fictional, and I would put money on it having no geographical continuity, the geography still doesnt matter.

But, if we assume it is "physical", and take what scant evidence we can, and induct our a posteriori knowledge from our own world, and to an extent Norse mythology (though as you say, the links seem to be in name only), we can while away some time.

Uprising = yeah, id thought about Haukeland. Perhaps thats where our pirates will come from

Chimpy = thanks for the clarification. Alas, that means were unable to gauge the equator , and therefore the size of the "planet".

Isnt there a resource someone compiled which lists all the HS references to places and people? Could be useful...

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Pheonix~flame~kyrie has disabled reputation
What it seems to me is that if you look at the south, like the swampy area or Crumland, it seems like it is dry and arid, maybe suggesting that they're close to the equator on whatever planet valhalla is on.
Or maybe none of this is rellevant, and the climate and landmass is suspended by the Kyrie's own magical power.
Could be either i guess.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion