Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM

theats has disabled reputation
2007 GENCON NEWS: See 1st Post for Gencon Heroscape News!

Image courtesy GaryLASQ

Following the aftermath of the Comic-con pictures and news, it became apparent to me that the same could happen with Gen con. I had to look over SEVERAL DOZEN articles and pages to find everything. I believe the solution to this problem is to have everything in one thread, in one post.
edit from bunjee, link to a few more photos:
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller....php?album=738

IT HAS BEGUN!! :: 8.16.07

First image posted! Card for Wave 8 Hero, Kato Katsuro! :: posted by Grungebob on 8.16.07

More card images posted! 'Swarm of the Marro!' :: posted by Grungebob on 8.16.07

Note that all images can also be found in the gallery, located HERE.

NEW SotM GLYPHS! And HS Tourney Prize Table! :: posted by Grungebob on 8.16.07

Check out the trophy with the laser etched skull in the glass block!

Note that all images can also be found in the gallery, located HERE.

First Images of other Wave 8 and 8.5 cards! Discussion here! :: posted by Bunjee on 8.16.07

Click image above for Bunjee's GC07 gallery!

Images of the new Large Expansion Figures Posted! :: posted by Retlaw on 8.16.07

Click the link above for more! Or, check all the images out in the Gallery!

News Direct from Craig Van Ness! :: posted by Wytefang on 8.16.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
I got a chance this morning to speak with CVN himself (Woot!) and I learned the answers to a few questions I'd had - perhaps they'll prove enlightening but maybe someone else has already posted these or learned and shared these things but here goes, anyway:

1. The small Marvel expansion set for this December WILL come in two booster packs (as expected by most of us).

2. I mentioned to him that we all noticed the lack of X-men figures and asked him if this might be for a 'reason', emphasizing that we're expecting a specific larger set or something like that and Craig smiled knowingly and said, 'maybe so'. I told him we want Sentinels because it'd be really, really cool and he agreed with that, also (doesn't necessarily mean that they'll release any but it was a positive sign).

3. He indicated that with this most recent Master set (Marro) we'd see far less Utgar figures and more of the others as the storylines come together with the imminent release of the new website which would have FAR more expanded Thorgrimm's Journal entries. He seemed to imply that we'll see more Ullar and Vydar figs, as well as more Aquilla later next year.

4. A different Hasbro HS employee indicated that we'd see the Large Figure expansion set and the new Terrain set (Jungle) in October and probably see Wave 8 in either late, late October or early November - which Craig seemed to agree with also.

5. He said that they're constantly looking to come up with new, interesting figure powers but that they don't want to add too many, ever, all at once, so as to not alienate potential new players (which makes sense and may be obvious to some of you but was still interesting to me)

I asked him about doing another slightly more in-depth interview with him later this weekend (Saturday, probably) and he agreed so hopefully I can ask him more of your questions from that one 'questions for Craig' thread.

Oh, one other thing, he said that with the release of the Wave 8 Samurai hero (I forget him name at the moment), they'll probably take a break from releasing Samurai figures for a while because they feel he completes that group. I didn't take away from that comment that they weren't going to make any more ever but that we may see a break from those kinds of Einar figures for a while.

They're only selling 80 copies of Swarm of the Marro each day to spread them out better - same with the promos. They had all the Wave 8 figures on display in a really cool case - the same one that showed all the Large Figures coming out too. The Redcoats looked really, really crisp (imho) and the wolves looked great and were a bit stockier and longer than I'd thought they would be. The Marro Cavalry were a wee bit smaller than I thought they looked in their pictures and the other mounted figures were pretty darn sharp-looking, for the most part.
GenCon thoughts from Pathdoc! :: posted by Pathdoc on 8.16.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathdoc
Here are my GenCon thoughts:
- Had a chance to talk with CVN as well. A real nice guy. Signed an autograph for my son who was excited about meeting him.
- I was very impresed with the sculpts on the large hero set and wave 8. The new dragon and the cyclops are really great. The Pictures from ComicCon do not do them justice.
- The Marro Hive had a little bit of detail that I do not think anyone has mentioned. The "eggs" on the top have little developing Marro in them and they are covered by clear plastic. Sort of reminds me of frog eggs (e.g. developing frog surrounded by gellatinous yolk). I was REALLY impressed with the quality of the sculpt.
- A lot of folks have complained about the "aquarium plant" appearance of the jungle plants. I can tell you that in person they really do not look like aquarium plants. They are much higher quality plastic and there is a great deal of variation in the types of leaves. Another interesting observation is that the tiles they are attached to are dome shapef, not flat. The tile surface is not the regular grass tile but has the detail of a variety of fallen leaves and stalks.
Also of interest was this tidbit about the launch of the NEW Heroscape.com website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathdoc
For the new website, the signs said September.
AND THE BEAT GOES ON! :: 8.17.07

SotM Glyph Rules, Clearer Card Pics, and MORE! :: posted by Retlaw and bad_calvin on 8.17.07

Click the link above for more! Or, check the images out in Retlaw's Gallery!

A Few Close up Wave 8 and Wave 8.5! :: posted by Retlaw on 8.17.07

GenCon News Bites from Lonewolf! :: posted by Lonewolf on 8.17.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
Hey guys want to give a shout out before I head over to the Con this morning. I spent about 15 minutes talking to Craig and a couple of the other developers...and thet had some big news.....I haven't read through the 50+ pages in the other thread, so if this is a repeat I apologize....

The HEROSCAPE.com website is getting a major overhaul right now and it going to have an all new look and feel. They are hoping to have it online sometime in September....

They also said that the game designers would be posting a lot more strategy tips and general game playing information.

They specifically talked about setting up a game night where you had 6 people playing on one big map....they weren't completely specific about it, but they didn't mention that there would be 3 2v2 matches going on on the same map in different areas.....but figures could jump over to the other matches as well. No details on how any of that works, but they said that they get together for a lot of game nights like this and they wanted to encourage the development of community HS groups by giving more game playing info for specific situations.

By the way , I asked Craig my Nakita/Reaver scatter question and he said that he would have to look at the Nakita card and get back to me later in the week. Do I get any brownie points for stumping the designer?

That is all for now.......I'm off to the Con.
Image of the 'Ticalla Jungle' packaging :: posted by Retlaw on 8.17.07

GenCon Championship Finalists! :: posted by Grungebob on 8.17.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
1st- Lonewolf
2nd- Choo Choo
3rd- Jormi Boced
4th- Funrun
5th- Rÿchean
6th- Skyknight
7th- Truth
8th- Revdyer

These players will advance to the final rounds tomorrow.
edit from bunjee, link to a few more photos:
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller....php?album=738

Images of Swarm of the Marro and Wave 8 figures! :: posted by Retlaw on 8.17.07

Click the link in the title above for more images! Or, check the images out in Retlaw's Gallery!

Erik Arneson HS GenCon Images on About.com! :: posted by Erik Arneson on 8.17.07

Click above image for a direct link to About.com gallery!

First Look! Swarm of the Marro Rules! :: posted by stay_golden_PONYBOY on 8.17.07
Quote:
Marro Hive Rules

There are a few that apply only to the Marro Hive. The Marro Hive may never be moved from it's starting location by any special power on any Army card or glyph. Figures can never move through a space occupied by the Marro Hive. For example, Shiori cannot use her Phantom Walk special power to walk through the hive. If the Marro Hive is destroyed, it becomes a terrain obstacle and is not removed from the battlefield. When placing the Marro Hive, it is always placed on it's 6-hex swamp water tile base. When placing the 6-hex swamp water tile base, you cannot create an overhang (no empty space can be under the base). The 6-hex base can only be placed on the land tiles. When calculating height advantage against or for the Marro Hive, consider the Hive to be sitting in the swamp water.
Quote:
Swamp water is treated as land with water properties. Water clone works on it. Water suit etc.

No move penalty. Treat it like land.

Pg 10

Moving onto swamp water. Unlike moving through water: when you move onto a swamp water space from another space, you may continue moving if you have moves left.

Moving "up" rules still apply.
Quote:
Pg 14 Unique Heros with same name. A player cannot have 2 heros with same name. Gives examples of Drake and Rae.
Quote:
The new scenarios mention the Moon Tribe, Green leaf tribe, and large alien birds.

Moon Tribe are Kyrie.

Green Leaf tribe are extinct for 1000 years.

Montiqua is the only surviving member of the Green Leaf Tribe.
Quote:
Pg 10.

Flipping a double-spaced fig. Anytime during a double-spaced figs move you can flip it. Se ex 12. To flip a double spaced fig, turn the fig around while keeping it on the same 2 spaces. The flip is free: it does not count as part of your move. The double spaced fig does not take any leaving engagement attacks when flipping since the fig is staying on the same 2 spaces. Leaving engagement attacks explained on pg 12.
THE GOODNESS NEVER ENDS!! :: 8.18.07

8 Marro Images from Hasbro's HeroScape Display :: posted by Retlaw on 8.18.07

Click the link in the title above for more images! Or, check the images out in Retlaw's Gallery!

HeroScape GenCon Flickr Gallery from Padwhite! :: posted by Padwhite on 8.18.07

Click the link in the title above for his post! Or, check the images out in Padwhite's Flickr Gallery via the above image!

Heroscaper MattsterTruckRally New GenCon HS Champ! :: posted by spider_poison on 8.18.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison
The results are in, and MattserTruckRally is the 2007 GenCon Champion! A mistake was made in earlier reportings of the results, where ManTrain was listed as a finalist, not Mattser. Congratulations, MattserTruckRally! Here are the remaining placings:

1st MattserTruckRally (NOT ManTrain)
2nd Rÿchean
3rd lonewolf
4th Jormi
5-8th (no particular order) funrun, Revdyer, Skyknight, truth)
Congrats to all the winners, and a big THANK YOU to all the participants and volunteers involved!

NOTE: MORE TOURNAMENTS HAPPENING TODAY!

First GenCon Tournament Images! :: posted by GaryLASQ on 8.16.07

See more images by clicking on title or image!

Kepler's Saturday GenCon Experience! :: posted by Kepler on 8.18.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelper
Okay, so this morning my son and I hit the road about 5am (a little earlier than I anticipated).

By time we arrived at GenCon and got the badges it was about 10:30. We immediately went to the heroscape booth and picked up our Master Woo and chacked out the awesome HS display. Also, I picked up Swarm of the Marro master set.

I wanted to do a D&D demo to get that exclusive, but the D&D area was packed all today. We will try again first thing tomorrow. Hopefully they still have some promos left (a black-robed Raistlin).

After we looked around the exhibit hall a bit we went up to the HS tournament room and met a few forum members such as Truth and GBob. Craig was there and he gave my son a Mimring card signed by the HS team. He thought meeting Craig was very very cool.

Other highlights of the day included seeing the trailer for the new Dragonlance movie (it looks really good) and getting a book signed my Margaret Weis, I picked up the new Reaper Minotaur and Ogre PPP miniatures, and I checked out Imax's dice towers (I am thinking about getting one before I leave tomorrow). He spent most of the time wandering around the exhibit hall. I got into a long conversation about a guy asking about HS after he saw the SotM set I was holding. During the conversation I gave a plug to House Mouse Games.

We are now back at the hotel and my son is watching Rise of the Silver Surfer while I type this. We will be back again tomorrow to check some more stuff out.

It was a great decision to come. We are bothing having a blast. My son said this morning that "GenCon is the best place in the world."

Theophilus.
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:56 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I think it is a good idea but no doubt others will make their own threads anyway.
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandars_Hope
I think it is a good idea but no doubt others will make their own threads anyway.
If this is stickied, they will think twice, hopefully.

Theophilus.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM

HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm so glad you created this thread. I was wondering if I should look here, or in EVENTS, or somewhere else. Now you've answered my question.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouseGames
I'm so glad you created this thread. I was wondering if I should look here, or in EVENTS, or somewhere else. Now you've answered my question.
You're welcome. I think I will most likely end up getting wave seven, as well as SOTM from you, as I cannot find 7 anywhere.and as for wave 8, looks like you would be the best resource. I am Very interested in the Lexan mats. How many 24 hex pieces would fit over them?

Theophilus.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
If this is stickied...
Done.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p
Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
If this is stickied...
Done.
JOY ^_^

Theophilus.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I just hope this thread doesn't get filled with non-Gencon news before hand. Erm, speaking of...
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Wow, good idea, theats. It'll help clean up the forums for sure. Now we play the waiting game...
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I just hope this thread doesn't get filled with non-Gencon news before hand. Erm, speaking of...
Yup. We'll probably have to change the title to include:

(First news on page 12!)

Old August 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Well, I'll be cramming stuff into the first post, so it won't matter. I can start at 5:00 pm tomorrow, when I return from school, I know, kinda long wait, that is eastern, btw. If an admin or mod wants to give me a head start, that would be much appreciated.

Theophilus.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
theats, you know that regardless of this post existing, and even the thread being stickied, folks are going to post GenCon news in their own threads. Also, considering MANY of the 'Scaper.com power-names are at GenCon, they very well may feel that certain news they have requires a post of its own.

That said, do your best to try and make this thread a 'ONE STOP' news source by also linking in the first post of this thread to the various GenCon threads that pop-up. Albeit, not ALL of the threads. Only those deemed important, you know?

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News