Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old August 7th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: vegie's GenCon reports

Even those mini reports were still good to read about. poor KidScaper....I cried inside when I read that ...looks like Zelrig really showed up to play. Looked like some really fun armies to play. Can't wait till next year...haha...I'm saving up now for it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

great report, I hate the elves, so I am very impressed with them making day 2, way to go

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I interpreted "WTF happened" as "I honestly can't remember what the f*** happened in this game, but at least I remember who won."

Took me a second to realize I was wrong there.
Old August 12th, 2016, 12:58 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

Very good read. It was pretty intense there this year. I probably told you this in person, but I heard from multiple people, "Vegie made Day 2 with Elf Wizards." It was in the tone of voice, "Can you believe it?" I don't know if sweating bullets is the right term, but people were concerned. Cleon is good though.

Good sportsmanship by Weesel.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 12th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

@Robber won our local warm up tournament with the elf wizards.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 13th, 2016, 03:11 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Tragic that we don't have the identity of the other side of the historic elf wizard mirror match.

Nice write-ups. Truthfully, your army was the only one I was afraid of on day 2. Of course, we know how that turned out, but anyway.

Last edited by dok; August 13th, 2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Q23 had 4x Phantoms, BTW
Old August 13th, 2016, 04:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You know, I think I played the other Elf Wizard army in my game 2 or 3.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Props for using the elf wizards! That is awesome! I'm so glad you did well with them. I'd give you reputation but it says I have to give it other people first
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

BTW it looks like your elf wizard opponent was "Nathaniel C". I don't think he has a HSer ID.
Old August 20th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Main Event

This year I was pretty settled on an army until the last minute. My dad couldn’t come up with an army he liked, so I let him play my Roman build. It was fine though. I was managing to trick myself into preferring the Phantom build I played online at that time. There’s always the curse of success in the online prep event tricking you into thinking you’ve come up with a good RtW army; the meta for the two events are very different.

Phantoms x2, Greenscales x2, Othkurik, Me-Burq-Sa

Not to get too down on the choices I made though. This Phantom army is very fast and fragile. It requires some planning around all outcomes for your attacks. You can’t play Othkurik too aggressively because he only has five life, but you can’t play too cautiously either because he only has four range. Finding the balance between that, and the balance between Phantom and Greenscale Order Markers is not easy but it’s really important to do well with the army.

Game 1 vs. ?? (Romans x2, Redcoats x2, Ne-Gok-Sa, Marcus)

I opened with Othkurik and Greenscales, who climbed to the top of the hill, and Acid Sprayed down incoming Romans and Redcoats. Othkurik took some small wounds to disengages and Roman attacks, but went down to the last four 10th WTFing next to Marcus on initiative switch. The Phantoms were able to close out the game on the remaining figures.

1-0

Game 2 vs. infectedsloth (Raelin, Horned Skull Brutes x2, Kozuke, Mezzos x1, Tarn)

This game is really hard to put down in words without writing a ton of them. IS’s army has lots of pieces and isn’t a “run one piece at your enemy at a time” army. My army rewards mixing order markers effectively and IS did that well. Some highlights of the game: Othkurik Acid Spray to kill both my Mezzos in one hit; Raelinless Kozuke counter striking two Phantoms; triple Berserker Charge to catch Othkurik. It came down to MBS vs. two Tarn in a melee duel, and MBS won. But the game was about how we got there.

1-1

Game 3 vs. Dragon Ruler (Dwarves x3, Migol, Mogrimm)

I opened with Phantoms, trying to clear out as many Dwarves as possible before they could lay into Othkurik. I only cleared out five or six. I was forced to run the most fragile dragon into Dwarves. It was a bad situation, but it was actually Migol that did him in. Migol threw a 2/2 smash into a 0/4 Othkurik whiff, and Othkurik was gone in a single turn. Six Greenscales weren’t able to beat an entire army.

1-2

Game 4 vs. nicktheant’s dad (Major Q9, Frost Giant, Fen Hydra)

I wish I could come up with a more interesting way to write this report, but it was just a Quiglex show. Q9 handled the Phantom opener, shot down Othkurik during lost OMs, then took down the remaining Greenscales.

2-2

Game 5 vs. nicktheant (Microcorp x3, Major Q10)

Phantoms are very good against Microcorp, but Q10 is very good against Phantoms. Both of us mixed OMs early to get the matchups we wanted, and for the most part it was split. I rolled a lot of skulls, but nick rolled a lot of Stealth Suits. The X factor in the game was Wannok. Phantoms and Greenscales are fast, so they were able to get and hold it, and there was nowhere good to put the wounds. I won through attrition, which is something this army rarely does.

3-2

Half of the 3-2s made it (randomly determined) and I wasn’t in the half. I'd probably be looking at this all really differently had I gotten to take my army to Day 2, but I didn't. Kind of a sad way to lose my Day 2 streak, but I don’t really think I had played well enough to earn a spot anyways. 3-2 isn't that impressive a run, especially if you start 1-2.

Last edited by vegietarian18; August 20th, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old August 20th, 2017, 09:20 AM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

The one sentence battle reports for side events were a big hit last year so I'm doing it again this year. I really do wish more people would write reports; I like reading them.

Coalition War

Major Q9, Deathreavers x3, Raelin, Brave Arrow, Red Wyrmling x2, Isamu

I played this army online and beat dok and Sparkle, and thought that showed it was a good choice.

Game 1 vs. ISB3 (Syvarris, Kaemon, Krav, Zetacron, Deathreavers x3) I already beat a 3-time Gencon time champ in this exact matchup so a 1-time champ was easy. Win
Game 2 vs. Mr. Migraine (?) (Nilfheim, Greenscales x1, Ne-Gok-Sa, Krav, Izumi) Nilfheim died after killing Raelin but before attacking Q9. Win
Game 3 vs. nicktheant (Minions x2, Atlaga, Raelin, Izumi, Brave Arrow?) Left spaces next to Q9 open, and Deadly Strike was deadly. Loss

2-1

Reverse Draft

Blastatrons x2, Raelin, Deathwalker 9000, Laglor

I wanted to play 11 range Blasts and 11 defense Deathwalker.

Game 1 vs. Chompie Son (Stingers x5, Kaemon) Underestimated the power of my army and left the bidding too late. Loss
Game 3 vs. ISB3 (Granites x2, Rats x3, Kaemon) Overestimated the power of my army and left the bidding too early. Loss

0-2

Uniques Only

Ulginesh, Raelin, Jorhdawn, Chardris, Arkmer, Kyntela, Morsbane, Isamu

I really like playing Elves and thought Uniques Only was better for them than Heroes Only is.

Game 1 vs. The Orange Mailman (Raelin, Taelord, Krav, Zetacron, Zettian Guards, Syvarris) Two Krav whiffed with six defense against the same Rain of Flame attack. Win
Game 2 vs. Hendal (Ne-Gok-Sa, Ke-Mo-Shi, Wo-Sa-Ga, Su-Bak-Na, Raelin) Elves can kill individual melee heroes pretty easily. Win
Game 3 vs. Deroche (Major Q9, Krav, Raelin, Laglor, Krug) Negated Quiglex, and the Elves fell apart in the right way to have just enough steam to close out the game. Win
Game 4 vs. videosayg (Major Q9, Raelin, Airborne, Krav, Kaemon) Did not negate Quiglex, and the Elves fell apart in just the wrong way to run out of steam in the late game. Loss

3-1

4x300

I didn’t get to play in Day 2 and had to be there so my dad could, so I played 4x300.

Game 1 (Major Q9, Rats x3) vs. nicktheant (Stingers x5) 3 wound Q9 got Kelda. Win
Game 2 (10th x4) vs. nicktheant’s dad (Charos, Ne-Gok-Sa) WTF happened. Win
Game 3 (Stingers x5) vs. vminer (Phantoms x2, Spider Man) Wannok happened. Win
Game 4 (4th x4) vs. Retlaw (Kurrok, Fire Elementals x5) WTF happened. Win

4-0

General Wars

Nilfheim, Greenscales x3, Raelin, Arkmer

I wanted to try a real Greenscale army after seeing how fragile they are with Othkurik in the Main Event.

Game 1 vs. Deroche (Stingers x5, Zelrig) Deroche focused Nilfheim, which didn’t work well when he couldn’t roll any skulls. Win
Game 2 vs. Rÿchean (Mezzodemons x4, Raelin, Tarn, Airborne) Valda-boosted Tarn hit Berserker to get height on Nilfheim and get 4 wounds on him. Loss
Game 3 vs. Mr Migraine (?) (Stingers x3, Hydra, Zelrig) Hydra couldn’t get into my army, and Nilfheim could handle 9 Stingers. Win
Game 4 vs. nicktheant’s dad (Frost Giant, Fen Hydra, Red Wyrmling x4, Kaemon) Each of the heroes did damage to Nilfheim, but he pulled out the game with 1 life left. Win
Game 5 vs. The Orange Mailman (10th x4, Taelord, Marcu) 4 attack vs 2 defense is a very good attack. Win

4-1

Last edited by vegietarian18; August 20th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old August 5th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Main Event 2018

Raelin
Tagawa Samurai Archers x2
Alastair MacDirk
Knights x1
Syvarris

There wasn’t really an exact idea behind the army, I was just sticking pieces together to see what could add up to 490. I wanted to play Raelin because I didn’t for the first time last year and missed Day 2. Syvarris is good for fishing opponents with long range, the Knights and MacDirk are good at killing things that get fished, and the Samurai Archers are a good screen. The army also necessitates order marker mixing at the round level; you aren’t going to win any games playing this army as three waves. I also felt it had an interesting “trick” to it; even though the army has low quantities of common squads, killing and damaging the heroes is much more crippling to its offense than killing the squads.

Game 1 vs. ??? (Zombies x4, Cyprien, Heirloom) on Highways and Dieways

This was a favorable matchup, because Zombies really struggle with Tagawa Samurai Archers. Still, Cyprien is always a tough out. He opened with advancing Cyprien to the center of the board to threaten damage, and then rolled zombies forward across the road for the next five order markers. I plodded the various pieces of my army forward, eventually placing Raelin in a hole I had left to prevent Cyprien from getting adjacent to her at all. He eventually sent Cyprien in to one of the heightened section of the board, and Alastair stepped in and pounded him in over the course of a few turns as his Chilling Touch was cold (only killed one Tagawa Samurai Archer). With Cyprien gone, he didn’t have a choice other than to send Zombies into my pod, and I just counterstruck and hit through them until he ran out.

1-0

Game 2 vs. Dragon Ruler (Sacred Band x2, Kaemon, Raelin, Marcus, Red Wyrmling x3)
This was a reverse game. Our armies were both similar; he didn’t have any 1x commons like I did but the undisciplined Greeks would be fragile. We both opened very slowly, rolling up our melee. I shot through one of the Knights with Kaemon which made him to take turns with them. He started going with mostly Syvarris and Tagawa Samurai, and I was reluctant to put as much focus on range as he did with a single attacking Kaemon. I tried to advance the Red Wyrmlings but Syvarris picked one off. So, fearing death by a thousand pings, I sent my Raelin deep into his territory and rushed in the Greeks and Marcus. I attacked whatever I could that wasn’t Tagawa Archers, so my damage was spread around sub optimally, but my rolls were suboptimal too. Tagawa Archers were repeatedly cracking the 4 defense Greeks with attacks of 2 and 3. I killed Syvarris, but that was about it. Eventually, I got Raelin to only one life left on a round that I had my 3 on Kaemon, and stepped him up to Quick Release her. He did, and killed her, but failed to get the initiative switch I needed and got smashed by Alastair. But from there my luck turned. The Tagawa Samurai’s dice went cold, and a Raelinless Alastair fell very quickly. The last two Sacred Band and Marcus swung into Tagawa and did some serious damage, and then Marcus died. But the game had come down to two Greeks and two Red Wyrmlings vs. three Tagawa Archers and two Knights. My Wyrmlings held out to the Tagawa Attacks, and my Greeks got rid of some Knights. I pulled out the win with two Wyrmlings and two Greeks left.

2-0

Game 3 vs. Clarrismuss (Sailing, Hydra x3, Marro Warriors) on Fulcrum

He opened with double order markers on Saylind, and summoned two Hydras, one to an island in the middle of the board, and the other in my startzone next to Raelin. Luckily, his third order marker was on the Hydra he summoned first, and he was only able to lay into the Tagawa I had moved up earlier. I got some wounds on the start zone Hydra with my OM3 on Knights, and he put is order markers on the island Hydra. I disengaged MacDirk and threw some Knights around him, but wasn’t able to get more than one wound. This Hydra shredded my Knights, some out of Raelin’s aura. He summoned another Hydra to end the second round, and I disengaged MacDirk again and only got one wound on this Hydra. By this point, MacDirk was at four wounds from disengages and overextends, and the Hydra ate him up. At this point, I was out of things to kill Hydras with, and he ate up the rest of my army. This was a pretty bad matchup made worse by good summoning rolls and solid defense rolls, and I wasn’t upset about losing. Clarrismuss went 4-1, but had to drop Day 2 because of a conflict.

2-1

Game 4 vs. ???? (Warriors of Ashra x3, Syvarris, Raelin, Sharwin, Arkmer)

My opponent seemed fairly new to the game but he had a good army and was having a good day with it. I got to play it though. I shot through a couple Knights with Syvarris as he advanced Raelin, and he got MacDirk in the middle of the board. Early on, he pulled his Syvarris out of Raelin’s aura to shoot my Raelin, and my Syvarris killed him in response in two shots of 4. That was mostly the game. He was forced to run MacDirk in for a second chance at killing Raelin that failed. After that, he had to take horrible 2v5 attacks with Tagawa Samurai into Warriors of Ashra as I shot them with Syvarris from range.

3-1

Game 5 vs. Chill (Ulginesh, Emiroon, Arkmer, Kyntela, Chardris, Jorhdawn) on Common Ground

It was good to see someone else doing well with Elves in the Main Event. I strongly considered this army as my own Main Event army, but felt that with only five wizards it’s just way too easy to lose Kyntela and Arkmer and lose the game instantly with permanently neutered Jorhdawn and Chardris as your only offense. With Syvarris, I was mostly able to achieve that outcome. He shot Kyntela down in two turns in Round 1. Once she was dead, I moved my Raelin up to the ruin, the same one that his was on the other side of. He stepped up Arkmer to attack my Raelin, and I stepped up Alastair and overextended to kill his Arkmer. He was already running out of steam, and then his dice went very cold and mine went very hot. Alastair rolled 5/6 or 5/5 skulls once against every remaining hero as I cleaned up the rest of his army with just the one squad of Knights and Alastair.

4-1

Thoughts after Day 1: I’m satisfied with my Day 1 results and my chances for Day 2. I think my path wasn’t as hard as it could have been, but it wasn’t super easy. I feel my army is in the stronger half of armies that made Day 2, but not enough in the stronger half for cause of concern. I think people will struggle with using one squad of Knights and a bonder effectively, even though MacDirk was probably too strong of a figure to bring. There are a few people I don’t want to face in Reverse (mostly the Matthias all melee Dwarf army) and a few people I do not want to face in normal (Hendal, Wookie) but otherwise I feel I have a chance on either side of most matchups.

Day 2

Game 1 vs. ISB3 (Cutters x3, Agent Carr, Dund, Alastair) on Fulcrum

This wasn’t a horrible matchup by any means, but not one of the ones I would have preferred. I knew that I would need for Carr or Alastair to assassinate Raelin to win, so I very slowly rolled out Cutters and advanced both heroes towards the center of the board as he stepped up Archers and Knights. Carr took three wounds from Syvarris pings, so he was a risky call. At the end of one round that I lost initiative, I had my three on MacDirk and ISB3 had Raelin in a spot 10 spaces away from him, so I sent him in. His first 5v3 got zero wounds. I won initiative, and my next 5v3 got zero wounds. But the overextend final 5v3 got 4 wounds all at once. ISB3 had his OM1 on Raelin, and he made the bold but smart play to disengage with her to pull her on to one of the center islands. The kyrie survived, and the game was looking very tough for me. Alastair was shot down, and I desperately climbed cutters up the watery path to the top of Raelin’s island. He denied me mob on Raelin with Tagawa placement, but on my third turn of trying I got the wound on her. I had lost a lot of cutters doing this though. I tried to send in Carr to smash through a Tagawa to free the island for better mob attacks on the squads, but the Tagawa blocked 4/6 skulls with 4/4 shields. Carr died the next turn, and I had no choice but to send my last cutters into the pile remaining. They managed to take down a lot, by the time the last cutter died, ISB3 had 1 Knight and 3 Samurai and Syvarris left. But as they were doing this, Dund was taking potshots from the Tagawa exactly 6 away; he died before I took a turn with him.

eliminated

It’s sad that I can’t seem to make a real run on Day 2 but I had a good game and ISB3’s army was certainly weaker than mine (only won one game all weekend). I think Syvarris and Raelin were probably both incorrect figures to include in this build; Raelin made it too consistent and Syvarris made it too threatening. While before this event I was thinking that I needed to include Raelin in main event armies more, now I’m thinking the answer is that she has to be excluded, because it makes it too hard to punish opponents for deployment mistakes with your army.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports