Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old May 16th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Creating Heroscape customs is a pain in the...

Don't get me wrong. I love this game, and I love my custom collection but I just needed to vent how difficult custom work can be. I love the design and aesthetic of Heroscape, but it can make a DIY a bit challenging.

First the cards. That Hex design that fits in a 7 hex piece is so signature and distinct that I don't consider a custom completed until it has its own card. Yet, how I've cursed all those little cuts and the accompanying pain in my wrists. The cards also require special printing and you are lucky to fit 3 on a normal page. Storage is mitigated by CD books, but those are hardly modest in size, with larger folders only holding a few hundred cards.

Second the peanut. These bases are so unique and make even large figures fit into tight spots where a huge disk would be prevented. They do however require special molding or 3D printing, since even the most well stocked game store don't have 30 x 60 bases (and when they do they are often too small for really big figures). Cutting figures off their existing base can be difficult, damage the figure or injure your fingers. Once molded you need to paint them and make stickers (Stickers!) if you want them to match 100% (confession - I don't use stickers).

As noted I love my custom collection, but sometimes it really feels like a labor of love, and what else is the internet for if not complaining.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Creating Heroscape customs is a pain in the...

It really is a labor of love. Another challenge is playtesting, or at least finding time to. We’ve taken to breaking a game down into 2 or 3 days to play it until a forgone conclusion or the bitter end (hint: sleep is good).

Then you have to factor in whether or not the game you just played was too far off in any direction. Were the armies considerably unbalanced? Was the map just busted? Did you use your terrain-based powers effectively this game?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

For all it’s challenges, making customs is honestly one of my major creative outlets now. To me it’s an art project more than anything.
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I agree on just about everything said here. Making customs for this game is one of my favorite things to do but it is so time consuming to get a unit balanced that nowadays customs just go to the wayside and lose out to other games that I dont have to play test and balance. I have bought so many miniatures just for heroscape customs that will likely never get the honor of gracing the battlefield.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I agree on just about everything said here. Making customs for this game is one of my favorite things to do but it is so time consuming to get a unit balanced that nowadays customs just go to the wayside and lose out to other games that I dont have to play test and balance. I have bought so many miniatures just for heroscape customs that will likely never get the honor of gracing the battlefield.
I have a freezer bag of those "likely won't" get used. Most are Mage knights that I bought thinking they would make cool figures, but never got excited about them. I have a cool bard, clockwork automata, civil war confederate, and a barbarian with a revolver, that are cool, but without power sets.

Luckily most of the figures I buy are because I already have a power set in mind and are their to flesh out a faction or compliment an existing faction. What triggered this post was 5 larger figures from reaper bones (Giant Skeleton, Shark-man, Treant, Demon and Griffin) that I bought to pull double duty with my AotP game, since a large hero collection was something I felt that game was missing. Since I already have cards in mind, and I'm looking forward to painting them, they will get to see the table at some point.

I've already painted all my AotP figures with 3-4 reaper bones units per colour that still need paint before I start working on cards en masse. I find doing things in bulk stages (Create power set, rebase, paint (if necessary), create cards, print, post to heroscapers) is the easiest I'll even break the stages down further (prime, paint, wash/stain) is even better.

Cribbing off other's customs and not being too fussy with ensuring a figure is perfectly balanced helps a lot. Really the power range from Pelloth and DW7000 to Raelin and Q9 is a fairly wide margin.

The thing is, I don't really mess around with other games. I have full collection of Confrontation, At-43, Pathfinder, D&D, Heroclix, and Star Wars Minis, but only ever played Heroscape. I've seen lots of skirmish games on Kick Starter, but don't see myself getting into them. However, I'm tempted to pick up a Frostgrave rule book and I'm looking forward to the Street Fighter game I backed, but neither require painting or customizing, beyond what I already have.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:06 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I have a freezer bag of those "likely won't" get used. Most are Mage knights that I bought thinking they would make cool figures, but never got excited about them. I have a cool bard, clockwork automata, civil war confederate, and a barbarian with a revolver, that are cool, but without power sets.

Luckily most of the figures I buy are because I already have a power set in mind and are their to flesh out a faction or compliment an existing faction. What triggered this post was 5 larger figures from reaper bones (Giant Skeleton, Shark-man, Treant, Demon and Griffin) that I bought to pull double duty with my AotP game, since a large hero collection was something I felt that game was missing. Since I already have cards in mind, and I'm looking forward to painting them, they will get to see the table at some point.

I've already painted all my AotP figures with 3-4 reaper bones units per colour that still need paint before I start working on cards en masse. I find doing things in bulk stages (Create power set, rebase, paint (if necessary), create cards, print, post to heroscapers) is the easiest I'll even break the stages down further (prime, paint, wash/stain) is even better.

Cribbing off other's customs and not being too fussy with ensuring a figure is perfectly balanced helps a lot. Really the power range from Pelloth and DW7000 to Raelin and Q9 is a fairly wide margin.

The thing is, I don't really mess around with other games. I have full collection of Confrontation, At-43, Pathfinder, D&D, Heroclix, and Star Wars Minis, but only ever played Heroscape. I've seen lots of skirmish games on Kick Starter, but don't see myself getting into them. However, I'm tempted to pick up a Frostgrave rule book and I'm looking forward to the Street Fighter game I backed, but neither require painting or customizing, beyond what I already have.
Frostgrave and frostgrave ghost archipelago are both pretty cool books and fairly cheap to et started in. Bonus is you can use any of your figures you already have. Most of my other minis are for other board games that already have a purpose. Besides dual purposing them for other games like heroscape they work out great for what they were originally made for. I do have at least a couple hundred minis bought just for the this would be a cool scape figure category.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards