Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Magic Duels: Origins

I have a confession to make. I have been interested in Magic the Gathering since I first saw the box on the shelf of the local comic book store back in '93, but I thought it was a fad and I never so much as bought a single pack. I've watched people play, at college, at a restaurant where I worked, at game stores and conventions - but even though it looked interesting, I checked my bank balance and passed.

I'm also a sucker for card-based video games and card games within video games. I was a huge Etherlords fan back in the day, loved the card games in Final Fantasy and Might and Magic, played the heck out of Prime World: Defenders, and I've played Solforge, Hearthstone, Infinity Wars and even a bit of the free bits of Magic 2014 and Magic 2015.

But 2014 and 2015 seemed so limited. I understood I'd only play them for a year knowing they'd be obsolete with the need to buy them again. All of which leads to this: Wizards has announced that they're going to release a new version which will track with the physical version for releases, but with all the online goodness of single player campaigns and earning cards through play!

I'm planning on playing the new Magic Duels: Origins from day 1 and would love to friend anyone else who is considering it.

~Aldin, thinking about cross-posting this to the confessions thread

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Fascinating

Color me intrigued.

~Dysole, with an off again on again relationship with MTG
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:48 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Magic Duels: Origins

Could be interesting, I've got enough crap to buy already though (including physical Magic cards for various formats), that I think this will have to be on the backburner for a while.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

"Who is going to play some card game when they can role-play?" laughter

My response to being asked if I wanted to demo a new game called Magic at Gen Con way back in the day.

~Tornado, non-prophet-ly

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:34 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I'm only interested in the mobile versions. I've got physical Magic cards for at-home play. The old Magic Apps were dissapointing and underwhelming. This one looks like it could be a great game. Hopefully, it will be.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

I'll think about it...looks interesting.

H E R O S C A P E
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:35 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

One of the features I've read about elsewhere (sorry, can't remember where, no link) is that when you've maxxed out your usable number of copies of a card, future boosters will not include that card! If that works the way I think it should, that makes collecting all the common cards pretty straightforward (I assume that you simply no longer get as many cards once you own all the commons) and makes building a variety of uncommons and rares even easier.

It also highlights a benefit that MtG has which is exclusive to them. They already have a system in place for producing new, balanced and interesting expansions every 4-6 months. That bit of hard work and effort which seems to absolutely bury smaller teams working on stuff like Infinity Wars won't even be a consideration beyond code and digitization for MtG. I like their odds of success once they finally manage to leverage their extremely popular physical product into an equally compelling digital one.

~Aldin, hopefully

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:46 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
One of the features I've read about elsewhere (sorry, can't remember where, no link) is that when you've maxxed out your usable number of copies of a card, future boosters will not include that card! If that works the way I think it should, that makes collecting all the common cards pretty straightforward (I assume that you simply no longer get as many cards once you own all the commons) and makes building a variety of uncommons and rares even easier.

It also highlights a benefit that MtG has which is exclusive to them. They already have a system in place for producing new, balanced and interesting expansions every 4-6 months. That bit of hard work and effort which seems to absolutely bury smaller teams working on stuff like Infinity Wars won't even be a consideration beyond code and digitization for MtG. I like their odds of success once they finally manage to leverage their extremely popular physical product into an equally compelling digital one.

~Aldin, hopefully
I don't know, I'm liking how Hearthstone (which I'm trying not to get massively sucked into for hours), has where if you get more than two copies of a card (which is their limit in a deck), you can disenchant the extras for dust, which can be spent to make other cards. I personally do flip-flop in wanting extras which I can trade or not have to pull them again for the third time. What happens when you get all the commons though? That's ten cards out of a fifteen card booster, that's a lot of cards you're not possibly getting. Is it filled with cards from other sets then?

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Yeah - not sure how the rubber meets the road with something like that. I have, however, discovered that once I have all the commons in any given TCG that the act of getting more is more frustrating that fun. I played one game where you could level up the cards you had by fusing other cards into them and beyond a certain point, the amount of boost you got from commons almost wasn't worth the time to fuse them. The amount of dust for disenchanting a common is pretty small.

Having said that, early on I love that bit of an extra boost. I just happen to think that filling out my commons options more quickly is something I'll like even more. Must admit I haven't played Hearthstone in a while though it is by far and away the most popular with my friends. Mechanically it just doesn't grab me the way some of the others do.

~Aldin, brushing off the dust

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Okay, the game relased yesterday and it's a bit rocky. Server connection issues mostly, though folks with older machines are having some more serious problems (for whatever it may be worth, most folks experiencing issues appear not to meet the minimum system requirements). Having said that... I played for about six hours yesterday.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but Hearthstone bores me whereas Duels excites me. I'm having a ton of fun fooling around with different styles. Booster packs are split up thusly: 3xCommon 2xUncommon 1xRare/Mythic Rare - 6 total, no extras. Deck building allows for a maximum of 4 of a common, 3 of an uncommon 2 of a rare and 1 of a mythic rare. I've earned five packs so far and it looks likely that by the time I finish the story campaigns, completing skill lessons and daily challenges I will have earned another 5-10.

I'm not really sure what to say beyond that. I like it. It's free to play. I haven't played against other human beings yet - and may not do so before I finish the campaigns. We'll see. I LOVE not getting extra cards I don't need. knowing that when I open my 20th pack the only commons I get are commons I need to complete my collection is an absolute joy.

~Aldin, releasingly

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
"Who is going to play some card game when they can role-play?" laughter

My response to being asked if I wanted to demo a new game called Magic at Gen Con way back in the day.

~Tornado, non-prophet-ly
Curse my empty rep popgun, but this made my day.

I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole I crawled out some time after Fourth Edition. I heard about something called a Cube and decided to investigate it. Then I heard about Pauper and Peasant Cubes with the sirens' song that it was an affordable path. Just a little bit o' Magic, you see. Perfectly painless. Perfectly affordable.

Ok, so I located a place that sells complete collections of commons and uncommons (1 copy of each card) from several sets. I discovered this after already purchasing a 5,000 card bulk "spin the wheel and takes your chances" collection of commons only. Oh, yeah, and that was after purchasing all 5 decks of Commander 2014. Did I mention getting Deckbuilder's Toolkits from three different core sets?

I have nephews who were into Yu-gi-oh and like Magic. My brother also expressed interest. At least I'll be able to actually play when we meet next for gaming.

I shuffled the Gatecrashers commons and did a Winston draft for two sides (solo), built both decks (40 card per limited format), and played best of three solo. I had a blast, and I'm definitely looking forward to meeting up with my bloodline for a day 'o drafting. But looking at the carnage that used to be my bank account, I do confess I went overboard.

An online version does sound like fun, but my metered internet connection pretty much closes that option. I need to locate my self control at some point to keep falling further down the hole, but I'm not quite ready to climb out until I hook up with my bloodline for some drafting fun.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah I started playing it. I've been going through the story mode so far. I'm enjoying it although the bugs are really annoying. They need to get that fixed asap. There have been crippling bugs that prevent play or freeze at the exact same time.

I haven't done anything more with it so we'll see how it goes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games