Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old June 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM

ranoobu is surprisingly tart
Re: D2 - changes in the base size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post

Especially didn't tell her how many Commons you are going to be buying?
OK I take that back. I did warn her about the impending dent in my wallet around August.

But other than that. I don't really talk about the goings on in HSer land.

Aeston's Before Heroscape - An interesting read for any Heroscape fan. I loved the final conclusion to the post as well lol

Good trades: SirGalahad
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoobu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
I couldn't help but laugh when I showed my wife the newer bases and she said.........."so".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demerean View Post

Fiance said the same thing. When I told her people were throwing a fit about it online, Her exact words were "People on the internet will whine about anything."

Fiance = Full of Win
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post

I was reading this to my g.friend and she said "so what" before I finished and "That makes sense right away". Dem' Women be smart.

Continuing the downward trend...I didn't tell my fiance anything
Especially didn't tell her how many Commons you are going to be buying?
Nope she know my purchasing habits, 1 Unique pack and 2 of each common pack. I keep it solid across every release. Except for Elementals, Marro, Orcs, and the zombies.

3x of the Elementals so I can fill up a 600 point army with just them and kurrok, Marro, orcs and zombies, because we needed alot of each of them for scenario games.

I like Facts.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Barbasol is surprisingly tart

You know, it just occurred to me... haven't the D&D people already had (have?) the chance to buy these figs with a smaller base? I mean, they are recycled D&D molds right?

Ok, maybe you can't get them anymore or they were rare figs or whatever. Yeah it still makes sense to make the Heroscape version compatible. But it still strikes me as a little humorous and ironic.

And, as someone else mentioned, a bit funny that several of those wyrmlings, and even the silver/blue hero, seem to be larger than the bases and overlap significantly.

Also, looking at some of the "classic" figs... a lot of them use the holes on opposite edges of the base. Even the smaller figures like the agents and Kumiko. I guess that's sort of irrelevant at this point though—a smaller base isn't going to restrict future scale or poses much since they aren't using new sculpts anyway.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Boy, just wait until people find out about the resized hexes...

Last edited by fomox; June 13th, 2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: TOG is right about easier storage... my wife will be pleased.
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I keep hearing people say.."In order for Scape to survive WOTC has to do this and that". Well, how long can you keep saying that? I mean, they already have 1 Master Set and 2 D&D Waves under their belt. Guru dropped some hints about D3 as well. I'm not in the "know" nor do I really care to be but that line as been played out, seriously.

I don't care about the new smaller bases. I don't play any other mini games and I don't play RPG games. All I know is that some of the new figures in D2 look wicked. I don't think having a Classic base or D&D base makes the figures or game any less appealing. I mean, the new bases looks the same, just a little smaller. Put me down for 4x D2
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
I think with all those extra RotV figs, you can 'carve out' the inner part of the older, bigger bases, and simply superglue the new figure inside. I will definitely try that out; you won't have to disfigure the paper on the new figure at all. Just rough cut out the legs, and then carefully XActo out the rest till it's a smooth ring; glue and you're done. They're the same height, right?
If you get this perfected, then mass produce it and make some money selling HS Base Rings.

Seriously though, it is a good idea and I'm tempted to try it myself. But the glued connection may not hold up well to the stress of figures going on and off ladders.
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

I am not at all upset about the base size change. They fit on the ladders, and that is good enough for me. Further, if I recall correctly, DW9000 from the 1st Master Set is on a larger-sized base, so it's not like we have uniformity anyway.

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Uprising: I always enjoy your posts. But no Business plans to "survive." Capitalists want to GROW and INCREASE THEIR PROFITS. That's the game. For Heroscape to mutate and eat up all the other games, it must change. You are what you eat.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

The base change was likely for material cost savings primarily thou so I don't really buy the change for marketing reasons. By reducing the diameter by 2mm they are saving around 3-5% of the material cost. The change does not appear to be to drastic though I would prefer the old bases.

Better marketing would be in the following areas.

Lava terrain expansion - New D&D figs with lava resistance are useless to new players without this exclusive, rare, and out of print expansion.

Official Scenario Support.

Some advertising or a slot on a SciFy/Space geek cast.

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A thought has occured to me. So they've changed the bases to be more attractive to other minis gamers, specificly D&D minis. What so all of sudden those guys will go "cool we can us these in our games now, lets grab them." I seriously doubt thats going to happen very often.

Maybe if they buy them they'll see how great scape is and play. Again, I doubt it. Again, I don't think folks are going to pick up this stuff because the bases are different. Even if a few do, I doubt that will make them want to play heroscape. Anyone who wants to play scape will, and those that don't, won't. No matter what size the bases are.

Maybe a few folks will pick up the stuff to use in D&D minis. However, is that really what we want. Mess up the continuty, uniformity, and cohesiveness of the bases. Risk P***ing off, and alienating your exsisting fan base. All for what? To make a few bucks off of players of another game?

How does this help Heroscape at all? WOTC is a company long known for p***ing off fans of their games. This is just a continuation of that reputation. Smaler bases, and now D3 is coming. Way to listen to your fans WOTC. I've said from day 1, WOTC only cares about D&D and Magic, this will not end well.

You can say what you like about the economy. However, by their own admission, one of the reasons for the change to D&D figures was to attract more fans to D&D. Now the smaller bases pander to the D&D crowd, and D3 is on the horizon. Heroscape is slowly losing its identity.

Its not a popular opinion, but I really wish WOTC had turned down heroscape and Hasbro had let it die. I would rather remember the game fondly, then watch it become something I don't know anymore.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

The base change is a minor irritant to me. Nothing major, but just for consistency sake stuff like this is always unfortunate.

See, I've been here, done this before. Hell, D&D Minis went through this very thing, with the Large sized bases changing in size about halfway through its lifetime (and if I recall correctly, they had even less of a good reason for changing it).

Honestly, even if they do throw a reason at you, who knows why this happens? It just sort of does, and then people throw reasons for it. Seeing it time and time again, I've adapted a response of just shrugging and saying "whatever."
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
A thought has occured to me. So they've changed the bases to be more attractive to other minis gamers, specificly D&D minis. What so all of sudden those guys will go "cool we can us these in our games now, lets grab them." I seriously doubt thats going to happen very often.

Maybe if they buy them they'll see how great scape is and play. Again, I doubt it. Again, I don't think folks are going to pick up this stuff because the bases are different. Even if a few do, I doubt that will make them want to play heroscape. Anyone who wants to play scape will, and those that don't, won't. No matter what size the bases are.

Maybe a few folks will pick up the stuff to use in D&D minis. However, is that really what we want. Mess up the continuty, uniformity, and cohesiveness of the bases. Risk P***ing off, and alienating your exsisting fan base. All for what? To make a few bucks off of players of another game?

How does this help Heroscape at all? WOTC is a company long known for p***ing off fans of their games. This is just a continuation of that reputation. Smaler bases, and now D3 is coming. Way to listen to your fans WOTC. I've said from day 1, WOTC only cares about D&D and Magic, this will not end well.

You can say what you like about the economy. However, by their own admission, one of the reasons for the change to D&D figures was to attract more fans to D&D. Now the smaller bases pander to the D&D crowd, and D3 is on the horizon. Heroscape is slowly losing its identity.

Its not a popular opinion, but I really wish WOTC had turned down heroscape and Hasbro had let it die. I would rather remember the game fondly, then watch it become something I don't know anymore.
If you really wish that you could remember Heroscape the way it was, why do you keep posting here about the new stuff. Just ignore the D&D stuff. Wizards are listening to their fans. Just not all of them. While there are those of you that Hate the D&D wave, or just dislike them, there are those of us that think it is a good change. The fact that D3 is on it's way is exciting to me. I have had enough Marro to last a life time and would like a change of pace.

I don't care about the base that the figures are on. It's fine. If it bothers you so much that wizards are changing things, you don't have to get the products.

I promise, we all understand, you don't like D&D figures in your heroscape...

I like Facts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News