Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Faustus is surprisingly tart
Faustus Custom Army Cards - UNDERCOVER AGENTS

*edited S.W.A.T. TEAM - thank you Rhydderch and ChaosChild!*
*edited LOGAN - thank you LilNewbie!*
*added UNDERCOVER AGENTS*

These are just rough drafts, the final versions would have the bases removed and the red target areas on the right hand side.

These are all continually open to feedback, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Please let me know what you think! These have not been playtested yet.
Thank you!
------------------

LEAK
If either agent is adjacent
to an enemy figure you
may choose not to attack
with all agents this turn.
Opponent must reveal all
of their order markers for
this turn.

DEEP COVER
When being attacked by
an adjacent figure, roll the
20-sided die. If you roll
11 or higher, that agent may
not be attacked by that
figure.
-------------------

This may belong in the marvel customs thread, but I prefer to put it here b/c I want it playable with normal heroscape figures. I don't want it to be judged as a super, but as a normal custom.

(Oh yeah, some may not know: Logan is Wolverine's alter ego...)

HEALING
Before moving or attacking,
if Logan has any wound
markers, roll the 20-sided
die. If you roll 11 or higher
remove one wound
marker from this card. Use
this power once per turn.

RAGE
When Logan attacks, if he
has any wound markers,
he may attack one
additional time.

COUNTERSTRIKE
When rolling defense dice
against a normal attack from
an adjacent attacking figure,
all excess shields count as
unblockable hits on the
attacking figure.

-----------------

BODY ARMOR
When rolling defense dice against a
normal attack, S.W.A.T. always add
one automatic shield to whatever is
rolled.

TEAR GAS GRENADE
Range 5. Lob 12.
Instead of moving and attacking with
S.W.A.T, choose one S.W.A.T. figure.
This figure may target one enemy
figure. No clear line of sight is needed
Any figures adjacent to the chosen
figure are also affected. Roll the 20-
sided die for each figure. If you roll 19
or higher, remove all order markers on
that figure and it may not roll defense
dice for the rest of the round. Use this
power once per round.

SNIPER FIRE
Instead of moving and attacking with
S.W.A.T. you may choose one S.W.A.T.
figure. This figure may target any figure
within range and line of sight. Roll the
20-sided die. If you roll 18 or higher
and the targeted figure is a squad
figure, destroy it. If you roll 20 and
the targeted figure is a hero figure,
destroy it. Use this power once
per round.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
First, it is a good idea to keep all your customs in one thread.

Second, I like these guys. The could use some official modern human figs and a S.W.A.T. tem is an obvious choice.

On to the critique.

Body Armor - With one auto shield and a good chance of rolling one more, these guys are going to be tough to take down. I would lower their defense to 2. When you playtest them, put them in the opposing army. You won't like 1 auto shield and 3 defense then.

The other 2 specials are not Special Attacks because you are not rolling attack dice. I would use "Instead of attacking" for Tear Gas and look at Deadeye Dan's Sharpshooter for Sniper Fire.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Pretty good job with the ability descriptions and the overall theme of the card. I would model their Sniper Fire Special Attack after the Sharpshooter ability on Deadeye Dan however. If you do keep it as a special attack I would add "Attack: Special" to keep it consistent with official cards. You may also want to add "within 8 clear sight spaces" since that is the range of the ability. Finally instead of 1D20 you should say "20-sided die" since that is what the official cards use.

You did a very good job of writing abilities which look like the official ones but I think the overall combination of abilities on these guys is overpowered.

Not only do they have decent stats combined with the Tough ability and an extra 2 defense but they have a grenade ability which combines Crippling Gaze from Dund and Paralyzing Stare from Me-Burq-Sa except the defense penalty lasts the entire round. The ability is broken IMO.

The Sniper attack is also too powerful. You basically have the Sharpshooter ability from Deadeye Dan, only you have 3 figures to choose from. I realize you can only use the attack with one figure every turn but you can now choose which figure to attack with and even if one figure dies you have 2 others who can use the ability. Finally I think it is very problematic for the squad to have a better version of Sharpshooter than even Deadeye Dan.

Your version destroys a squad figure on a roll of 13 or higher while a 19-20 is required for hero figures, but Deadeye Dan can only destroy a figure if he rolls 19-20. That includes the squad figures. So yours is basically a drastically improved version of Sharpshooter on a squad.

As I said I like the abilities. I just think they are too powerful even with the high cost. Their only weakness is their low move. I would seriously try to tone down their abilities and maybe lower their cost accordingly if it turns out that way when you try them:

BODY ARMOR: the ability is ok but I would lower their base defense to 2.

TEAR GAS GRENADE: should not remove defense. It is too powerful for an entire round and kills Deathwalkers. Removing turn markers is enough. As is the SWAT Team can completely lock down an enemy for an entire round. I would also increase the D20 roll to 16.

SNIPER FIRE: should not be so powerful. Maybe the roll should be 19-20 for a squad figure and 20 for a hero. Alternately you could remove the ability altogether or add one which says the SWAT receive 1 additional attack die when they attack a figure more than 6 spaces away.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM

All great advice. I think I originally had 2 defense and then I upped it for some reason. You're right, it's too powerful. So back to 2.

I looked at Deadeye Dan's ability and then for some reason I picked this overpowered way of doing it! Seemed like a good idea at the time. I will try to think up something that will bring the power back down. You're right, I shouldn't supplant Deadeye Dan. My version should be less powerful.

I'm kind of interested in maintaining the tear gas grenade's ability to affect both order markers and defense. Perhaps I could make soulborg's immune? Can't see tear gas really affecting them anyway. I don't feel like it's TOO powerful as it can only be used once per game. Maybe if it doesn't hurt soulborgs it won't be so bad? Any opinions? I don't mind making it a little harder to pull off, but if it's too hard I feel like it would be disappointing: "I use my one tear gas grenade...oh, I roll too low and it's wasted" game after game...at least most disappointing abilities you can use them every turn!
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
What's the recommended way to go about this? Edit my original thread and add them to that, or to just add a post with a new one?

One thing that deters me sometimes from checking out other people's is when I open a thread and it takes forever to load...it seems like I only get to see about 1/4 (the top 1/4) of 18 cards...
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM

theats has disabled reputation
were they made from srgt. drake, a roman legionare, and an airborne elite?

Theophilus.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
were they made from srgt. drake, a roman legionare, and an airborne elite?
Nope. Those are all Heroclix figs
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM

theats has disabled reputation
seriosly, the one in the back looks like a spearman convert, the right looks like drakes stance with the sword cut off and gun replaced, and the other like An AE, but if you say so i guess you would know.

Theophilus.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
seriosly, the one in the back looks like a spearman convert, the right looks like drakes stance with the sword cut off and gun replaced, and the other like An AE, but if you say so i guess you would know.
LOL! I can see how you might think that from the small picture but yeah I believe they are Heroclix figures. Annerios also used the same figures for a squad he made.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustus
Quote:
What's the recommended way to go about this? Edit my original thread and add them to that, or to just add a post with a new one?

One thing that deters me sometimes from checking out other people's is when I open a thread and it takes forever to load...it seems like I only get to see about 1/4 (the top 1/4) of 18 cards...
I prefer having all of them in the first post, it makes them easier to find. However, it is also a good idea to add new ones to the end of the thread so people don't have to keep going back and forth when giving feedback. I know it takes a while to load a bunch of cards but, it beats searching the entire thread for a specific custom. Also, edit the title of the thread when you put up a new custom.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I agree with CC about putting all your cards in the first post for easy reference and then making a new post for the card so everyone can focus on that one for discussion. Interesting squad. I'd go with the suggestions from CC and Rhyd...they are great custom analyzers!

Newb.
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
I agree with CC about putting all your cards in the first post for easy reference and then making a new post for the card so everyone can focus on that one for discussion. Interesting squad. I'd go with the suggestions from CC and Rhyd...they are great custom analyzers!

Newb.
what he said...

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards