Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Kingdom Builder found its way back to the table after a year's hiatus. Looking like this is one I'll be playing with my daughter only. For some reason the biggun' wants nothing to do with it. I like this one a lot, and the replay possibilities seem endless. Opinions on this one are pretty split. Regardless of the Spiel des Jahres award this one seems to either get love or hate from those who have tried it (my opinion is that if you hate it, then you probably haven't played it enough to see how deep it really is... IMO).

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I like it quite a bit--and it does have more depth than most initially see--but I also have found a pretty split decision on this one. It doesn't hit the table nearly as often as I thought it would.

(Love the expansion, btw--a nice smart way to add just a bit more to the game!)
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played Descent 2.0 over lunch yesterday, and I won as Overlord.

Played Island Siege today. It is a cool little card game on Kickstarter. We played a proto print and play version. Offers some nice choices for a 30 minute card game.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
(Love the expansion, btw--a nice smart way to add just a bit more to the game!)
I still need to pick up Nomads, and there's another expansion that was premiered at Nurnberg called Crossroads.

-----

Yesterday we resurrected another one that took a bit of a hiatus from our table, Carcassonne. It was my daughter who dusted this one off too. I think I need to send her into the game room more often to pick titles. Then later on last night it was another go with 51st State (loving it), and the expansion/stand alone, The New Era arrives at the door today!

Last edited by nyys; February 12th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Great, great game. We are about ready to start our Lair of the Wyrm campaign.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
The New Era arrives at the door today!
Package arrived, but no The New Era. CSI has never steered me wrong, so I expect a quick resolution.

Old February 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Package arrived, but no The New Era. CSI has never steered me wrong, so I expect a quick resolution.
CSI has only screwed up an order once for me, and they did right by it, and then some. I'm not saying they always do this, but I have faith they will take care of you.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Federation Commander

Remember the time Ė probably a few months ago Ė when I said I was going to try one of the scenarios for this game? Remember that? How about the time I stepped on a rake, waddled about, slipped on a banana peel, and sat on a land mine?

Anyway, I finally tried that scenario, which was one of the scenarios published in the free Communique monthly newsletter at the official game site. It took me quite a while to give the rules a second reading before I was ready to tackle it.

The battle takes place on a fixed map, and itís filled with asteroids. When we join the action, a Klingon F5 Frigate is in hot pursuit of a Hydran Hunter ship, which is much smaller. Somewhere on the far end of the map is a Hydran Ranger ship, hidden at a random location. The Ranger is a sizable ship loaded with 9 Stinger fighters on board, and itís much larger than the F5. The F5 is required to follow a pursuit course during the first turn.

Once the F5 is within 10 hexes of a possible reveal location, I discovered the location of the Ranger! Due to the facing of the F5, the F5 was able to easily turn tail and head back on the second turn (the pursuit restriction is lifted). The scenario specifies that the Klingons will bring a C7 ship into the game on Turn 4, and the C7 is a match for the Ranger. The Hydrans decide to pursue the F5, hoping to blow it up before the C7 can arrive.

The F5 makes it back, and the F5 and Hunter are able to exchange fire, with mutual damage to both ships. The Ranger launches a couple of fighters while the Hunter slows the F5 with a tractor beam, which further damages the F5. By the time the C7 arrives, the F5 and Ranger are both badly damaged, and still locked in battle.

With the C7 on the scene, the fighters and Ranger turn their attention to the big guy, leaving the F5 and Hunter to fend for themselves. The F5 decides to attempt disengaging by flying off the right edge of the board. The Hunter decides to follow course. The F5 risks going directly through some asteroid hexes, and avoids damage. The Hunter has a 1/6 chance of taking serious damage and 1/6 chance of taking enough damage to get destroyed, and gets the worst result possible. Ka-Boom, and that leaves the F5 free to head for the exit.

Meanwhile, the C7 is under a ticking clock. You see, one of the scenario rules is that the C7 crew had their food infected, and they must roll at the beginning of each turn after arriving. Once the total reaches 8, the crew becomes ill, and the ship suffers the effects of a degraded crew (+1 to shipís turn mode, +1 penalty to direct fire rolls, etc.). The first turnís (technically Turn 4 when the C7 arrives) roll was a 2, which was pretty good. The Ranger launched the rest of its fighters, and the C7 is tied trying to fend them off. It blows a couple into dust, and captures some in its tractor beam and speeds up so the trapped fighters are ripped to pieces. However, the fighters managed to knock out one of the forward-right shields and deliver some minor internal damage.

At the end of the turn, the crippled F5 reaches the far right of the map and is about to escape, when the Hydran Ranger finds itself with a clear shot and opens fire, blowing the F5 to bits before it can disengage.

At the beginning of Turn 5, the C7 is on a head-on course directly into the Ranger. The C7 really doesnít want to get too close, because the Rangerís weapons are highly effective at point-blank range. Unfortunately, there isnít enough room to maneuver, as they are at the far right edge of the map. Making things even worse, the second die roll was a 6. Any less, and the effects of the food poisoning would at least be delayed another turn. But no, the Klingons got their version of Taco Bell.

The battle was not pretty. The Ranger closed in, a flight of 3 fighters closed in on the C7ís damaged shield, and every ship and fighter opened fire. The C7 rolled the worst possible results, and the degraded crew effect only made it worse. For example, 3 of the 4 disruptors completely missed, costing the C7 15 potential damage points. The Hydrans, on the other hand, delivered a brutal smackdown, and the Klingon ship took massive damage.

It took another two or three turns to finish the job (these ships take a LOT to knock out), but the Hydrans finally took down the ship for the win.

I had to refer to the rulebook throughout the battle in order to verify I was playing certain things correctly. There are lots of options, and lots of rules to remember. I played this over a couple of days.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

Played Island Siege today. It is a cool little card game on Kickstarter. We played a proto print and play version. Offers some nice choices for a 30 minute card game.
Descent over lunch?! 2.0 plays that fast?! I will be strong!

We haven't had much gaming, but I did lose a squeaker in Ascension, 75-74.

Looking forward to the new Mage Wars mages.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Federation Commander

Remember the time Ė probably a few months ago Ė when I said I was going to try one of the scenarios for this game? Remember that? How about the time I stepped on a rake, waddled about, slipped on a banana peel, and sat on a land mine?

Anyway, I finally tried that scenario, which was one of the scenarios published in the free Communique monthly newsletter at the official game site. It took me quite a while to give the rules a second reading before I was ready to tackle it.

The battle takes place on a fixed map, and itís filled with asteroids. When we join the action, a Klingon F5 Frigate is in hot pursuit of a Hydran Hunter ship, which is much smaller. Somewhere on the far end of the map is a Hydran Ranger ship, hidden at a random location. The Ranger is a sizable ship loaded with 9 Stinger fighters on board, and itís much larger than the F5. The F5 is required to follow a pursuit course during the first turn.

Once the F5 is within 10 hexes of a possible reveal location, I discovered the location of the Ranger! Due to the facing of the F5, the F5 was able to easily turn tail and head back on the second turn (the pursuit restriction is lifted). The scenario specifies that the Klingons will bring a C7 ship into the game on Turn 4, and the C7 is a match for the Ranger. The Hydrans decide to pursue the F5, hoping to blow it up before the C7 can arrive.

The F5 makes it back, and the F5 and Hunter are able to exchange fire, with mutual damage to both ships. The Ranger launches a couple of fighters while the Hunter slows the F5 with a tractor beam, which further damages the F5. By the time the C7 arrives, the F5 and Ranger are both badly damaged, and still locked in battle.

With the C7 on the scene, the fighters and Ranger turn their attention to the big guy, leaving the F5 and Hunter to fend for themselves. The F5 decides to attempt disengaging by flying off the right edge of the board. The Hunter decides to follow course. The F5 risks going directly through some asteroid hexes, and avoids damage. The Hunter has a 1/6 chance of taking serious damage and 1/6 chance of taking enough damage to get destroyed, and gets the worst result possible. Ka-Boom, and that leaves the F5 free to head for the exit.

Meanwhile, the C7 is under a ticking clock. You see, one of the scenario rules is that the C7 crew had their food infected, and they must roll at the beginning of each turn after arriving. Once the total reaches 8, the crew becomes ill, and the ship suffers the effects of a degraded crew (+1 to shipís turn mode, +1 penalty to direct fire rolls, etc.). The first turnís (technically Turn 4 when the C7 arrives) roll was a 2, which was pretty good. The Ranger launched the rest of its fighters, and the C7 is tied trying to fend them off. It blows a couple into dust, and captures some in its tractor beam and speeds up so the trapped fighters are ripped to pieces. However, the fighters managed to knock out one of the forward-right shields and deliver some minor internal damage.

At the end of the turn, the crippled F5 reaches the far right of the map and is about to escape, when the Hydran Ranger finds itself with a clear shot and opens fire, blowing the F5 to bits before it can disengage.

At the beginning of Turn 5, the C7 is on a head-on course directly into the Ranger. The C7 really doesnít want to get too close, because the Rangerís weapons are highly effective at point-blank range. Unfortunately, there isnít enough room to maneuver, as they are at the far right edge of the map. Making things even worse, the second die roll was a 6. Any less, and the effects of the food poisoning would at least be delayed another turn. But no, the Klingons got their version of Taco Bell.

The battle was not pretty. The Ranger closed in, a flight of 3 fighters closed in on the C7ís damaged shield, and every ship and fighter opened fire. The C7 rolled the worst possible results, and the degraded crew effect only made it worse. For example, 3 of the 4 disruptors completely missed, costing the C7 15 potential damage points. The Hydrans, on the other hand, delivered a brutal smackdown, and the Klingon ship took massive damage.

It took another two or three turns to finish the job (these ships take a LOT to knock out), but the Hydrans finally took down the ship for the win.

I had to refer to the rulebook throughout the battle in order to verify I was playing certain things correctly. There are lots of options, and lots of rules to remember. I played this over a couple of days.
Great report David. I like that there were certain restrictions instead of just an all out slugfest from the onset. The tampered food is a nice touch and seems like they suffered from "Hydran's Revenge"

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:37 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
CSI has only screwed up an order once for me, and they did right by it, and then some. I'm not saying they always do this, but I have faith they will take care of you.
More likely than not the blizzard this past weekend delayed the local mail.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM

No, I got the package with all the other stuff I ordred, The New Era was missing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games