Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Phantom Knights- What's your army idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledpie View Post
IMO, Darrak is better when you can strategic bond with the Axegrinders, so they get ahead of him and he can come up and get Sneak Attack. Basically I think Theracus is a little superfluous. Maybe another squad of Axegrinders instead of Theracus, which brings the total to 480.
I think the idea is to use Darrak's Sneak Attack with Theracus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
IMO, Darrak is better when you can strategic bond with the Axegrinders, so they get ahead of him and he can come up and get Sneak Attack. Basically I think Theracus is a little superfluous. Maybe another squad of Axegrinders instead of Theracus, which brings the total to 480.
The idea is both.

Pickledpie, you're quite right in that Darrak is best used when bonding with the Axegrinders to get Sneak Attack. However, what Theracus does is get him into the mix of things really fast, while at the same time providing another engagement for Sneak Attack to work. Here's how it works:

OM#1 - Theracus Carries Darrak out and drops him off.

OM#2 - If the big baddie is now within 5 spaces of Darrak, Theracus flies in alone, engages the baddie, and attacks him. If he is further than 5 spaces away, Theracus Carries Darrak into engagement with him.

OM#3 - The Axegrinders Strategically Bond with Darrak, who (moves in and) attacks said baddie with Sneak Attack, since the baddie is engaged to both Darrak and Theracus. Meanwhile, the Dwarves get a head start moving up the map.

OM#X - The Axegrinders take the rest of the OM's, Bonding with Darrak until Darrak is dead.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought that Migol actually works better for this because of his survivability.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think you're forgetting the first round where the dwarves move without bonding so they can move faster. Then Theracus carries up Darrak/Migol and they get into the swing of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Fenmeister Woo who?

3x PK 210
Concan 80
Sir Dupuis 150
...something.... 60

Hmm...those last 60 points are tricky. I'm thinking Eldgrim+Guilty (to boost concan's move) 2x Air Elemental or the Izumi samurai for screening.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
I think you're forgetting the first round where the dwarves move without bonding so they can move faster. Then Theracus carries up Darrak/Migol and they get into the swing of things.
Nope - I'm planning on a full-out assault with just Darrak and Theracus alone, while the Dwarves move up.

The opponent is forced to deal with the threat immediately, in their starting zone. This play really puts the opponent on the defensive and, while their dealing with Darrak and Theracus, the Dwarves are creeping up 4 spaces per turn through the bonding.

Then, once Darrak dies, I don't lose any OM's because they were all on the Axegrinders anyway, and then they can sprint into engagement.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thematically, they could team up with the NotNW . . .

140 PK x 2
120 Kaemon (who else? )
110 NotNW
80 Raelin
40 Theracus
10 Isamu

Next Generation

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The idea is both.

Pickledpie, you're quite right in that Darrak is best used when bonding with the Axegrinders to get Sneak Attack. However, what Theracus does is get him into the mix of things really fast, while at the same time providing another engagement for Sneak Attack to work. Here's how it works:

OM#1 - Theracus Carries Darrak out and drops him off.

OM#2 - If the big baddie is now within 5 spaces of Darrak, Theracus flies in alone, engages the baddie, and attacks him. If he is further than 5 spaces away, Theracus Carries Darrak into engagement with him.

OM#3 - The Axegrinders Strategically Bond with Darrak, who (moves in and) attacks said baddie with Sneak Attack, since the baddie is engaged to both Darrak and Theracus. Meanwhile, the Dwarves get a head start moving up the map.

OM#X - The Axegrinders take the rest of the OM's, Bonding with Darrak until Darrak is dead.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought that Migol actually works better for this because of his survivability.
Aha. Now I get it. I may actually try this out, considering I'm getting this packs anyways.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Not sure how effective it would be, but how about:

Krug
Arrow Gruts X3
Swog Riders X2
Phantom Knights X3
Isamu

=520 Points.

Krug and the Arrow Gruts shouldn't have too much trouble taking out big dogs, while the Phantom Knights destroy range.

-scorp

scorpiusx is a Rashomon of Tornak and DeMarco James...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:03 PM

FinalVictory is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I really like the idea of advancing Krug with the Phantom Knights. If your opponent is activating ranged figures, they have no choice but to either attack your heavily armored knights, or get Krug nice and angry before he gets to the front lines. If they activate melee squads, then you freely get Krug onto the front lines, collecting a few wounds or getting free attacks.
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Knights x3 210
4th mass x3 420
Raelin 500

A solid force, lots of choices for the unit and this specific army. I think this is going to be my new favorite unit.

Record Count Since First Tourney
Wins 45 Losses 52
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Knights x3 210
4th mass x3 420
Raelin 500

A solid force, lots of choices for the unit and this specific army. I think this is going to be my new favorite unit.
In this situation you might want to swith out the 4th for the 10th in a 520 Point game, because the 4th won't have their bonus.

-scorp

scorpiusx is a Rashomon of Tornak and DeMarco James...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

This is similar to a couple of army ideas that have been posted, but here's one.

The D&D Wave 1 Does Different Things Okay But Nothing Great:

Lawnmower - 120
Kelda - 200
Air Elementals x2 - 260
Phantom Knights x2 - 400
Syvarris - 500 (Yes, I know Krav would work better, but I wanted to be different)

You've got a hydra for multiple attacks and use against melee foes (with the elementals screening) and the ghosts for anti-range. Syvarris will make sure the enemy can't camp effectively, and Kelda keeps gas in the tank. Not sure if it's tournament-worthy, but it'd probably be fun for using some of the new figures and in a has-range-and-melee type army.

At 520, you could drop Syvarris for Stingers x2. 540...Maybe add Theracus for a mount for the elf? Or Stingers and Marcu.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion