Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 16th, 2021, 02:31 PM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness
AtG's Customs [NEW 4/22/22]

Welcome to my Customs showcase! I'm seeking initial feedback on anything like the left box, right box, verbiage, mechanics, value, utility, name, and model choice.
Thanks for swinging by

CURRENT CONCEPTS

These are the other three figures from the pending Ogre Warband set that Gozar comes in.

Some mechanical/simplification updates to Ilvara.

"Martial (Spectacles, XVII, XXVI) celebrates Carpophorus, who was renowned as a bestiarius, having dispatched a bear, lion, and leopard. Had he been alive at the time, "Marathon would not have feared her bull, nor leafy Nemea her lion, nor Arcadians the boar of Maenalus" (XXXII). Indeed, says Martial, the redoubtable Carpophorus killed twenty wild animals at one time."

Last edited by AndreThaGiant; April 22nd, 2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old August 16th, 2021, 02:50 PM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: AndreThaGiant's Pre-Pre-SoV Thread

After several iterations, I've finally landed on this card for the Wasteland Marauders. For those of you that haven't seen this card in the Pre-SoV Workshop, it is a squad inspired by the "War Boys" from the Mad Max world.

WASTELAND MARAUDERS
VALKRILL

Species: MUTANTS (same as Motley Max)
Type: COMMON SQUAD (squad of 2)
Class: MARAUDERS
Personality: WILD

Stats:
L1
M5
R1
A3
D3

Abilities:
WITNESS ME!
After revealing an Order Marker on the Wasteland Marauders' Army Card and taking a turn with the Wasteland Marauders, if at least one Wasteland Marauder is engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Warhulk Hero you control.

MUTATED SKIN 14
When a Wasteland Marauder would receive one or more wounds from a terrain effect or special attack, before inflicting those wounds, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, ignore any wounds.

INCITE VIOLENCE
Anytime you roll the 20-sided die for a Warhulk Army Card, you may add 1 to your roll for every Wasteland Marauder that is adjacent to that Warhulk.

Outgoing Synergy(that I'm aware of)
Pseudo Bonding: Motley Max, Ogre Warhulk

Incoming Synergy(that I'm aware of)
Valkrill Attack Aura: Skull Demons

The models intended for use are from Pathfinder Battles, City of Lost Omens set. Xulgath Skulker #12 & Xulgath Warrior #13. Both with great availability online, priced at roughly $2 per figure.
Old August 16th, 2021, 02:56 PM

@Dad_Scaper @Scytale if you don't mind?
Old August 16th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I don't like the name Witness Me!. Some may get the reference, but I don't.

Incite Violence is strangely terrible with the Ogre Warhulk. It makes him even more likely to kill them. While that's thematic, I think in practice it's a bad power (unless you want to discourage synergy with the Ogre Warhulk).
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I love how you reused War Cry as Witness Me! The Mutant Skin power (basically Stealth Suit) gives them a chance to live long enough to do something useful. The bonding is easier because all you need is to have an engaged Marauder; the Warhulk you take a turn with does not need to be in clear sight or x number of spaces. I might bring the price down five or ten points, but I guess playtesting will reveal whether that's a good change to make.

Solid unit!

Old August 16th, 2021, 08:35 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
INCITE VIOLENCE
Anytime you roll the 20-sided die for a Warhulk Army Card, you may add 1 to your roll for every Wasteland Marauder that is adjacent to that Warhulk.
..."to a Warhulk" instead of "to that Warhulk" ?

Not a fan of Mutant as a species...for me mutants tend to be a species that have mutations - but that might just be me. I'd use Xulgath or come up with your own name for the species...or possibly call them Lizardfolk Mutants who are Wild Marauders.

But in general, I like the design.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; August 16th, 2021 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Mutations like a third eye is something to watch for.
Old August 16th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'm digging this design. I'm cool with these being mutants circa earth 2210. As I feel it establishes a cool precadent.

Witness me is a fine name fora personal custom, not so fitting for canon.incite violence is superfluous at best. Remember not every custom needs 3 powers.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 16th, 2021, 09:47 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I'm digging this design. I'm cool with these being mutants circa earth 2210. As I feel it establishes a cool precadent.

Witness me is a fine name fora personal custom, not so fitting for canon.incite violence is superfluous at best. Remember not every custom needs 3 powers.
The Ogre Warhulk power "Mine!" also has an exclamation point, if that's what's bothering you.

Old August 16th, 2021, 09:50 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What a great idea Andre

I'm a fan of incite violence, but I'm also a Rakdos player at heart so that may be why lol. A 2 man squad seems like a great fit for a warhulk that just wants a couple of cronies around to make trouble and egg him on.
Old August 16th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
The Ogre Warhulk power "Mine!" also has an exclamation point, if that's what's bothering you.
Which also raises the question, how does "Incite Violence" work with "Mine!"?

I kinda like that Incite Violence increases the Warhulk's odds of killing his own. They're egging him on and then they get clobbered: a very Mad-Max visual gag really. Even if they get killed (which they might not with the Mutated Skin) it's probably worth it; the Ogre Warhulk doesn't feel worth his 150 points when he's not swinging at his full power. That whirlwind attack for 5 on a double-spaced figure is what you're paying for.

Don't know how they'll compete with the Deathchasers on that front though. They don't really need the Warhulk that bad but he may certainly still prefer them.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old August 16th, 2021, 10:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the tag, and thanks for sharing this custom!

I suppose from the name of the thread that you believe these will one day be suitable for the SoV. I will comment on them with that in mind. Note that you don't *have* to do that. You can make your own excellent customs, and they can be excellent customs. Or you can make your own excellent customs, and ask a bunch of picky strangers to tell you if they belong in the official canon. They might tell you no. They might not! Their answer does not bear on the excellence of the customs themselves. As we will see, soon enough, in my comments below.

You have here a "mutant" that you indicate fits in on the near-future Earth where we find Motley Max. I firmly disagree.

Earthlings are *all* humans, with a single exception. That single exception - Motley Max - is very nearly human-looking, as well. The creatures on this card do not look nearly-human. They look monstrous. Their heads are almost avian in shape, and I do not look at them and think, "these things may have had human parents." And without that quality - the human parents piece - I cannot conceive of them as mutants.

Still drilling down on the mutant issue, it does not make sense to me that an army of "mutants" would be so similar to each other. Isn't the defining feature of a mutant that it's an aberration? Why would so many "aberrations" coincidentally be the same as each other? That's certainly not the X-Men vision of how mutants are, and it's not mine either. I do not think that a mass of (relatively) identical figures work as "mutants." That's just unacceptable, to me.

I recognize that others have said that it looks ok to them. I wonder if they've all thought this through, and I'd be concerned - in your shoes - that this particular criticism might get traction later, even if it's not an issue now.

I would also back off "mutated skin." It's not suggested by the mini and it's not present on the only other mutant, so it comes across (to me, anyway) as an easy way to make your two-man melee squad more durable. Which is a laudable goal! The challenge is to do it elegantly, rather than in a way that looks forced.

I don't care for the power name "Witness Me!" because I don't think it's communicating a clear theme. How is that working? What story is being told here?

I like the idea of something that motivates Warhulks. I also like the idea of a common squad that might be able to justify fielding two Ogre Warhulks. That would be cool!

But I'd take the theme here back to the drawing board, and see what other ideas these cool minis give you.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 16th, 2021, 11:07 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
You have here a "mutant" that you indicate fits in on the near-future Earth where we find Motley Max. I firmly disagree.
I agree that these would not make sense from near-future Earth, however nowhere does this thread indicate that. It says "inspired by the "War Boys" from the Mad Max world", to give a sense of the real-world inspiration behind the theme and powers. Andre may have suggested it elsewhere, but as you say I would advise against that.

Quote:
Earthlings are *all* humans, with a single exception. That single exception - Motley Max - is very nearly human-looking, as well. The creatures on this card do not look nearly-human. They look monstrous. Their heads are almost avian in shape, and I do not look at them and think, "these things may have had human parents." And without that quality - the human parents piece - I cannot conceive of them as mutants.
Given the above, not looking human is a moot point. Other beings can mutate and thus also be mutants. There is no reason the species Mutant must be exclusive to mutated humans.

Quote:
Still drilling down on the mutant issue, it does not make sense to me that an army of "mutants" would be so similar to each other. Isn't the defining feature of a mutant that it's an aberration? Why would so many "aberrations" coincidentally be the same as each other? That's certainly not the X-Men vision of how mutants are, and it's not mine either. I do not think that a mass of (relatively) identical figures work as "mutants." That's just unacceptable, to me.
I understand where you're coming from, and yet most X-Men look like normal homo sapiens. There are a couple other slightly different sculpts with different skin tones and patterns, would that help in your eyes? That would be acceptable to me.

Quote:
I would also back off "mutated skin." It's not suggested by the mini and it's not present on the only other mutant, so it comes across (to me, anyway) as an easy way to make your two-man melee squad more durable. Which is a laudable goal! The challenge is to do it elegantly, rather than in a way that looks forced.
See above comment about different skin tones. If it was a three-figure squad and each one was a different color, would the theme come through better and feel less forced? Again, I'd be on board with it.

Quote:
I don't care for the power name "Witness Me!" because I don't think it's communicating a clear theme. How is that working? What story is being told here?
I get the reference though I've never seen Mad Max (shame, I know), so I may be wrong but I think it fits with the whole "glorified violence" mentality of the post-apocalypse (as well as the Incite Violence power). Saying, "I found another skull to bash in! Come watch!"

Quote:
I like the idea of something that motivates Warhulks. I also like the idea of a common squad that might be able to justify fielding two Ogre Warhulks. That would be cool!
That would be cool. I haven't played the Ogre Warhulk much, though I never cared for him too much either, at least in part on account of the price tag. It still might be a tall task given that two of them are a whopping 300 points, but as with other mediocre and underused units, I always love to see more on the battlefield.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards