Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old May 14th, 2021, 11:58 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/19/2022 - Outsiders)

Seeing that the entirety of my brief activity on this site has been contained to this forum, I thought I would contribute some units of my own. Much of what I post here is intended to fulfill a particular thematic or mechanical niche and has been contemplated and tested until reaching a certain quality level. Special thanks go to @Xorlof for designing the X-2 Custom Card Creator, a great tool I've recently discovered. All comments and feedback are welcome.

Featured Unit:

Older Units:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Blue Trails; November 20th, 2022 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Updated unit lists; edited title
Old May 15th, 2021, 12:00 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 5/14/2021)

The figure used is a Pathfinder Battles miniature from the Darklands Rising collection. The name of the figure is Arboreal Regent. The figure's base is double-spaced.

Figure Photo:
Spoiler Alert!

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Blue Trails; May 27th, 2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Formatting errors
Old May 27th, 2021, 09:58 PM

I'm back with another unit. I don't generally enjoy designing squads as much as designing heroes, but this one has proven fun at my table.

Figure Pictures:
Spoiler Alert!

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!
Old May 29th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Torin's always been one of my favorite units of the D&D waves, so a squad that can keep up with him without the OM-headache seems pretty good. It's a pretty strong 200-point pod right there

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 30th, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Torin's always been one of my favorite units of the D&D waves, so a squad that can keep up with him without the OM-headache seems pretty good. It's a pretty strong 200-point pod right there

~TAF
I'm glad to hear that. Every now and then, I like to make units that give a little help to a figure that is relatively weak or difficult to use effectively, and my feelings on Torin are similar to yours. Thanks for commenting!
Old July 7th, 2021, 12:24 AM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 5/27/2021)

After spending more time on this site and reacquainting myself with photo-editing software, I think I can make this thread a little more pleasant to browse. I'll start with a recent update to a previously-posted unit.

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo, Inc.

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Darklands Rising set. The name of the figure is Arboreal Regent. The figure's base is double-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
- Acolarh: Ullar's Amulet
As a figure who follows Ullar, Mimameid may benefit from Acolarh's Ullar's Amulet movement synergy.
Synergy Benefits Offered
Arboreal Body: Tree-Dependent Powers:
- Eilan Sidhe: Through the Green
- Eilan Sidhe: Nature's Protection
- Quasatch Hunters: Jungle Tracking

As always, any comments are welcome, and critiques are appreciated.
Old August 5th, 2021, 12:14 AM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 5/27/2021)

I notice that I forgot to update this thread's title when I last posted here. I don't track the views this thread gathers, so I'll just say that there are now two new additions to some of you.

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo, Inc.

The figure used for this unit is a Starfinder Battles figure from the Planets of Peril set. The name of the figure is Dragonkin. The figure's base is double-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

- Marcus Decimus Gallus: Soldier Leadership
As a Soldier, Edasich may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus's Soldier Leadership special power.
- Marcus Decimus Gallus: Soldier Attack Enhancement
As a Soldier, Edasich may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus's Soldier Attack Enhancement special power.
- Gen. Simon Fraser: Prepare the Charge
As a Soldier, Edasich may benefit from Gen. Simon Fraser's Prepare the Charge special power.
Synergy Benefits Offered
N/A

Comments and feedback are welcome.
Old August 5th, 2021, 12:46 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 8/4/2021 - Ancient Marrde

Ranged flyers are quite dangerous, especially with his high Range and Attack. As a ranged support to a Roman army he becomes fast too. The fact that he's double-spaced will help against this.

I like versatile figures, especially ones like this where their distance plays a part in how they work. I wonder if you could save a lot of text by just making his second power only work on non-adjacent figures, making it not clash with his first. Good work in designing one that's not just Special Attack reliant.

~TAF

Old August 7th, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Ranged flyers are quite dangerous, especially with his high Range and Attack. As a ranged support to a Roman army he becomes fast too. The fact that he's double-spaced will help against this.

I like versatile figures, especially ones like this where their distance plays a part in how they work. I wonder if you could save a lot of text by just making his second power only work on non-adjacent figures, making it not clash with his first. Good work in designing one that's not just Special Attack reliant.

~TAF
Thanks for commenting. You've nailed the unit's capabilities: Edasich can deal a frightening amount of damage, and he loves Roman builds, but that double-base can be a significant liability. In testing, I actually would have traded Flying for a single-spaced base on certain maps with lots of uneven terrain.

Your idea for the second power is interesting. Beyond making the card look neater, it would give a little more depth to the unit's gameplay by making mass engagements riskier. Moreover, it would make Edasich easier to eliminate once he's engaged, which is probably appropriate given his offensive potential.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 08:36 PM

BATTLE REPORT – MIMAMEID

BATTLE 1 – RANDOM ARMIES
600 Points
Custom Map of my own making
3 Glyphs – Dagmar (Initiative+8 ), Wannok (Wound), Oreld (Intercept Order) – randomly arranged

ARMY 1 – BAD GUYS – Minions + Snipers
Taelord the Kyrie Warrior, Omicron Snipers x2, Minions of Utgar x2
ARMY 2 – GOOD GUYS – Native Americans and Tree
Mimameid (played by Jotun), Mohican River Tribe x3, Brave Arrow, Venoc Warlord, Marcu Esenwein

Spoiler Alert!

BATTLE 2 – MELEE ONLY ARMY
600 Points
Same Map
2 Glyphs – Kelda (Healing), Valda (+2 Move) randomly arranged

ARMY 1 – BAD GUYS – Romans + Raelin
Roman Legionnaires x3, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Valguard, Raelin (SotM)
ARMY 2 – GOOD GUYS – Microcorp Legion
Mimameid (played by Jotun), Microcorp Troopers x4 (played by Microcorp Agents), Raelin (RotV)

Spoiler Alert!

BATTLE 3 – WHATEVER ARMIES
500 Points
Custom Map of my own making
3 Glyphs – Jalgard (+2 Defense) face-up in center; Dagmar (Initiative+8 ), Wannok (Wound): randomly arranged
ARMY 1 – BAD GUYS – Knights + Sharwin
Knights of Weston x3, Thorgrim, Finn, Sharwin Wildborn, Otonashi
ARMY 2 – GOOD GUYS – Orcs + Tree
Arrow Gruts x3, Krug, Swog Rider x2, Mimameid (played by Jotun), Isamu

Spoiler Alert!

Final Thoughts:
As a standalone Hero, Mimameid’s tankiness and single-attacking remind me the most of Charos. Charos is well-known for being one of the tankiest units in the game (and Mimameid only having 1 less Life). Mimameid mostly excelled at tanking hits as well, taking a long time in most of the games to be killed. His aura of Thick Roots, despite only being 2 spaces, covers quite the area given his being Double-Spaced. It proved exceptionally annoying and cost a couple Attacks here and there because of it. When it worked as intended I was surprised by how much it affected the game. I found myself going around him a lot rather than through him, making him an effective blocker in many scenarios. In an important lane with his roots down he costs movement to those going by, and even if it’s only one space that still took its toll in a noticeable fashion.

Of course, the thing with Charos is that he is dangerous. 5 Attack and Counterstrike make him threatening to be sure, and his offensive potential is further bolstered by having Bonding nowadays with the Greenscales. Additionally he is much more mobile since he has Flying. Mimameid by comparison was slow and lumbering, and unless he was forced to fight as he was in the final match where he was the last unit alive (outliving even Isamu and the entire reserves in the Start Zone) I didn’t put many OMs on him at all. In that sense if you’re wondering if he is boring or unfun I would say “Yes”, since he mostly moves into position and then just sits there until he is killed or forced to fight. Effective, sometimes, yes. But not the most fun of units. He’s not really worth killing right away so you may be in for a real slow slugfest come the end of the game.

Perhaps an Attack of 5 or a more potent Special Attack (I found Crashing Boughs to be not all that useful, generally using his Normal Attack 9 times out of 10) would liven him up a bit: give the player more of a choice between laying down Thick Roots or activating him and doing some damage.

As it stands, he is effective at his job when placed correctly against the correct army. Bad placement or a bad matchup (as it was in the Minions’ case (wings and all)) makes you sorely miss the 200 Points you spent on him. He feels terribly expensive in games where his power causes little disruption. 200 Points is a lot—you could have 20 Deathreavers for that much. But I’d sooner him be more dangerous and 200 Points like Charos is rather than the same but with a reduced cost, where he’s still a little dull. The best tanks are the ones that can't be ignored, after all.

Overall he was better than I'd thought he'd be when he worked as intended. I wouldn't say he's unfair since he's so expensive. But he is somewhat unfun: a little dull to use and he takes a long time to kill.

~TAF

Old August 29th, 2021, 12:32 AM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 8/28/2021 - Undead Wolf)

As I continue to mull over the excellent playtesting feedback posted above, I'll take this opportunity to share a more recent work.

Original figure image credit goes to The Gallant Goblin.
Alternate Card:
Spoiler Alert!

The figure used for this unit is a Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures figure from the W15 Gnoll Witherlings set. The name of the figure is Gnoll Witherling (either figure works). The sculpt is unpainted.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

- Khosumet the Darklord: Relentless Assault
As a figure with the Relentless personality, Sotakh the Darklord may benefit from Khosumet the Darklord's Relentless Assault special power.
- Death Knights of Valkrill: Unholy Bonding
As a medium Hero with a Relentless personality, Sotakh the Darklord may take a turn using the Death Knights of Valkrill's Unholy Bonding special power.
- Ornak: Red Flag of Fury Aura
As a Unique Hero who follows Utgar, Sotakh the Darklord may take turns using Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Aura special power.
- Torin: Evil Eye Protection
As a medium figure who follows Utgar, Sotakh the Darklord may benefit from Torin's Evil Eye Protection special power.
- Wolves of Badru: Darklord Bonding
As a Darklord, Sotakh the Darklord may take turns using the Wolves of Badru's Darklord Bonding special power.
Synergy Benefits Offered
N/A
Comments and feedback are welcome.
Old August 29th, 2021, 12:44 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 8/28/2021 - Undead Wolf)

Really cool card! I like how undying ties in with his ability to start shrugging off wounds, thematic for an undead lord of darkness ^^

80 points is an interesting place to put him but I think it makes sense given his low life total. 4 defense is still solid and I like that there is 1 power on the card. It is always great to see a custom hit that level of specificity. Gnoll witherling huh? I will have to look into that miniature.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards