Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old May 26th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 5/26/21: WWII Medic]

It makes the medics too powerful as healing just 1 wound earns back their points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 26th, 2021, 06:50 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I feel the opposite: taking a turn to remove just one wound may earn back your points but it's likely a waste of an Order Marker. Unless it stacks with multiple medics which the wording doesn't seem to indicate. Not ideal unless you've got multiple wounded human heroes across the board at the same time which might be rare.

It'd be pretty funny though having Varan taking all the hits for the medics around him while they heal him at the same time.

Given that they have to compete with the Pathfinders for marching space, I think they're fair.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 26th, 2021, 06:54 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Unless it stacks with multiple medics which the wording doesn't seem to indicate.
It does. You heal each unique hero adjacent to at least 1 medic.

Quote:
Old May 26th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan
Unless it stacks with multiple medics which the wording doesn't seem to indicate.
I mean more like if one hero is adjacent to three medics if he heals three wounds, which the "at least" clause seems to debunk as far as I can discern.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 26th, 2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan
I mean more like if one hero is adjacent to three medics if he heals three wounds, which the "at least" clause seems to debunk as far as I can discern.

~TAF
Oh, right. It can heal 3 heroes 1 wound each but not 3 wounds on 1 hero.

Quote:
Old June 1st, 2021, 09:30 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The 77th Infantry Medic is pretty interesting. A common hero that is limited to one attack per Order Marker is somewhat of a throwback, as I believe the Sahuagin Raider is the only other such unit left at this point in the VC era. Although the Medics are clearly designed to work best alongside Jandar's other Human soldiers, I could see some real value in drafting a couple Medics to support armies that rely on frail, melee-range Human heroes, such as a ninja-heavy build, or to squeeze more uses out of Myrddin's Mystic Sacrifice.

I think you made an error when writing the combinations listings, though: the second paragraph of Marching Orders' synergies names the 8th Infantry Pathfinder as the synergy recipient.
Old June 5th, 2021, 11:10 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! Sorry that it has taken me a while to get back to responding; you all know how life goes sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
It makes the medics too powerful as healing just 1 wound earns back their points.
The point about each Medic only having to heal one wound to earn back their points is persuasive; my anticipation is that most medics will actually die before they get to heal with their 2 defense, but against melee, I could see it getting a bit brutal. Even just absorbing an attack for a Pathfinder can be really good against armies with fewer attacks per OM.

Something that could be interesting is increasing the points just a little more and bumping up the defense to 3, to make them a more solid investment, perhaps? That might make them a bit more frustrating to go against, but more equally durable to different armies.

Quote:
I feel the opposite: taking a turn to remove just one wound may earn back your points but it's likely a waste of an Order Marker. Unless it stacks with multiple medics which the wording doesn't seem to indicate. Not ideal unless you've got multiple wounded human heroes across the board at the same time which might be rare.

It'd be pretty funny though having Varan taking all the hits for the medics around him while they heal him at the same time.

Given that they have to compete with the Pathfinders for marching space, I think they're fair.
The Order Marker requirement is definitely steeper than the points in my eyes, especially in a Pathfinder build where you will have to juggle using your orders to march, attack, or heal. Ironically, a good deal of their value comes from redirecting attacks from the Pathfinders to let you have more turns with 3 ranged attacks of 4, albeit this can still be a bit difficult to maintain.

I actually toyed around with increasing the attack to 3 initially to better justify the "wasted" turn, but I found that points ran out so quick already that the Pathfinders might appreciate a cheap supplemental force to absorb attacks and whatnot instead. I also like the slight elegance to having two very different troops that each require their own Order Marker to activate. Varan is definitely a great combo if the opponent can't shoot at the Medics instead to deal wounds faster than they can heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Oh, right. It can heal 3 heroes 1 wound each but not 3 wounds on 1 hero.
Correct, my intention was that they could heal John Varan, Drake, and Lt. Col. James Smith in one turn, but only one wound from each. My hope is that the positioning requirements and low defense are sufficient to restrict their points, but 15 points is of course a bit aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
The 77th Infantry Medic is pretty interesting. A common hero that is limited to one attack per Order Marker is somewhat of a throwback, as I believe the Sahuagin Raider is the only other such unit left at this point in the VC era. Although the Medics are clearly designed to work best alongside Jandar's other Human soldiers, I could see some real value in drafting a couple Medics to support armies that rely on frail, melee-range Human heroes, such as a ninja-heavy build, or to squeeze more uses out of Myrddin's Mystic Sacrifice.
I was definitely hoping that it would feel a bit unique in how offensively poor the turns were. I don't think that it's super viable in a competitive setting to spend turns hoping to undo your opponents' last attacks, but I think that it should make for some fun casual games and help further define the WWII soldiers' unique archetype.

That's interesting that you think they'd be good with other Human heroes as well. Heat of Battle could be a very good format for them, and Myrddin is a really fun synergy that I had forgotten about. If there's a way to get around their poor mobility without Jandar's soldiers, then they could be a lot of fun in other builds, too.

Luckily, I have a drafted hero themed around the oft-forgotten Common Heroes that does something very much along those lines, and I'll one day get around to posting it.

Quote:
I think you made an error when writing the combinations listings, though: the second paragraph of Marching Orders' synergies names the 8th Infantry Pathfinder as the synergy recipient.
Thanks for catching that! I just fixed it.
Old June 14th, 2021, 10:32 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I was definitely hoping that it would feel a bit unique in how offensively poor the turns were. I don't think that it's super viable in a competitive setting to spend turns hoping to undo your opponents' last attacks, but I think that it should make for some fun casual games and help further define the WWII soldiers' unique archetype.

That's interesting that you think they'd be good with other Human heroes as well. Heat of Battle could be a very good format for them, and Myrddin is a really fun synergy that I had forgotten about. If there's a way to get around their poor mobility without Jandar's soldiers, then they could be a lot of fun in other builds, too.

Luckily, I have a drafted hero themed around the oft-forgotten Common Heroes that does something very much along those lines, and I'll one day get around to posting it.
Well, I think you've succeeded. Personally, I tend to favor units that are fun to use in multiple builds even at the expense of tournament-level viability, which leads me to look for out-of-the-way things like the aforementioned Myrddin synergy when I read people's customs threads, and the Medics seem to hit that mark. Something about the guarantee of removing several wound markers with a single Order Marker makes me think the Medics could at least see competitive use for forcing an approach in the endgame, though.

I was not aware of Heat of Battle before you mentioned it, but that does seem like a good fit for the Medics, as mobility is certainly their weak point. It's worth mentioning, though, that the points needed to draft Varan and two or three Medics aren't an enormous expense for a mobile, semi-protected healing pod with multi-special-attacking capabilities, especially in games at higher point totals. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing what you have brewing if it can make this job any easier.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards