Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old November 24th, 2020, 11:19 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Preferences for next Fan Fiction (IV)

@TheAverageFan @William099 @Sylvano the Wasabus @BiggaBullfrog

I'm pinging my readers because an idea has struck me, and before I pursued it further, I wanted to get an idea of how it would be received (you'll understand why once I explain it below). I'm pinging Sylvano because he's commented on my blogs from time to time - I don't know if you're a reader, but I figured I would include you in case you are. I'm pinging Bigga even though I'm pretty sure he's vanished at this point.

TL;DR's can be found at the bottom.

So back at the start of this year I wrote Utgar, which I thought was going to be the beginning of my final fan fiction series. That whole plan obviously did not pan out. In case you didn't read that fan fiction, it basically details how Utgar rises from a slave and a prisoner to becoming Valkyrie, and starting the war.

I've long since abandoned all ideas of sequels for that story. The thing is, the way in which Utgar comes to power in that story has always been how I've imagined the war starting. Even as far back as The River that was Red, some inkling of that general idea was there.

This means that as I've been creating my version of a postwar Valhalla for my latest attempts at fan fiction, I've been building off of the way the war has unfolded in my head. Meaning the war began basically as it did in Utgar.

And to be honest... that story is looking a lot more interesting than one in a post-war Valhalla. While a post-war Valhalla is something I've been working on for a long time, and there are stories in it for sure, it lacks a fully formed plan of events. It lacks structure of what happens. Meanwhile, I've had to create a history for the war on Valhalla so that I'll know how everything turned out, thus inadvertently creating a solid structure for said war. (see below*)

The end result is that while the post-war stories are still swimming about in the unformed halls of imagination, I already know what would make good stories in the war, and I already have ideas for main characters, arcs, plots, and all the rest.

The issue with writing the war on Valhalla as I see it is that I do NOT want to continue with where I left off with Utgar. I would want to start over, rewriting Utgar.

The whole setting of that story (and planned series) was that the wellsprings granted immortality. While I was able to work with it for a single story, I quickly found it created more problems than it was worth when I tried to write sequels. No one can die, so a lot of the immediate stakes of things are gone (Get captured? Just kill yourself and reappear at HQ a few days later). Therefore I would not want to continue with that setting, but rather rewrite the story without it.

TL;DR: What all this comes down to is that I have ideas for stories detailing the history of the war of Valhalla. The problem is that they start with Utgar, and specifically they start with the exact story of Utgar I've already posted. My question is: how do you feel about reading a story you've already read? Because I will definitely want to rewrite that story if I go ahead with this plan.

It would be quite a bit different. I would make sure it had a twisty plot and lots more to the story than the original. But it would, at the structural level, be essentially the same. Utgar would be there, with basically the same character arc (though constructed better this time), and he would go through more or less exactly what he did before, with the same outcome. The difference would be in the addition of a much more engaging plot, and the absence of wellspring-immortality. Once that story is completed, then things would obviously be far more original.

I don't feel comfortable with just saying, 'this is basically how things unfolded, just forget about that immortality bit and let's move on'. I don't feel like that would serve all the stories after it well, not having a beginning which is actually written out and detailed.

More concise TL;DR: So if I were to do these war stories, I would have to start with the tale of Utgar you have already read, and rewrite it. What are your thoughts on that?

-------

NOTE: These war stories are an idea amongst several I have. They might be scrapped within a few days, just like any story idea I come up with. The reason I'm bringing them up is because I want to know if you, the readers, would be opposed to reading a story you've already read. If so, then I won't waste my time on this idea, and scrap it now rather than later. If you would genuinely not read a story you've already read, then please say so. You aren't going to completely destroy my ability to write or anything by saying so (I've been doing a fine enough job on that as it is).

~TGRF.

-------

* Some might object that a writer does not need a structured plan of events for a series of stories, and generally I would agree. However, it seems that not having that structure for a post-war Valhalla is greatly hampering my ability to come up with stories for some reason, while the fully structured war version of Valhalla is not. Hence the need for structure.

Last edited by TGRF; November 25th, 2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old November 25th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Preferences for next Fan Fiction (IV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend
My question is: how do you feel about reading a story you've already read? Because I will definitely want to rewrite that story if I go ahead with this plan.
Well you know, when watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood...

I'm fine with it. You rewrote Quest for Valhalla already with HiS, didn't you? People reread Dilmir (with no changes), didn't they? I think as long as it's well written people will read pretty much whatever. Plus as is the case in a lotta fanfiction with preestablished characters there's bound to be retread water (read the Book of TheAverageFan and see Cyprien Chilling Touch someone to death at least 4 different times that I can think of just off the top of my head).

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 25th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

A story is improved with each telling...
Old November 25th, 2020, 12:53 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The war on Valhalla it is then. We'll see where this leads.

~TGRF.
Old December 1st, 2020, 10:58 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I read your post in my email but didn't make it over to the thread to comment, however better late than never. I fully support your plan and can't wait to see what you come up with! I've been working on my masters degree so I have basically been a professional lurker on the site the last two years but I'm still around. I finish my degree in two weeks and graduate in January so I hope to change that soon!

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction