Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 16th, 2022, 11:39 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

I'll take Ullar.

Old August 17th, 2022, 04:18 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

You mean after I announce that the draft has started? You go last, you know. You're welcome to Acolarh if no one else picks him ahead of you.

K. has chosen Ornak/Utgar. Since we have no comments for changes to the scenario, I'll consider his choice valid. SD is next. I'll still take any scenario comments if he has any.

September 14 has now been confirmed as our next game date for this scenario.

Last edited by chas; August 17th, 2022 at 04:37 AM.
Old August 17th, 2022, 04:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Three New Factions For Heroscape 2.0 Revealed So Far

1. The DawnRaider Syndicate This is a multi species faction. They are "pirates" lead by Captains who have special powers that bonus them. The first named is Pirate Captain Bonny, who is the blue robed mini from the GenCon case display. Its been pointed out that she is based on a historical pirate. They do not follow an Archkyrie General as such, but ally with one when they wish. "Monster Hunters" has been noted to be a Pirate squad.

2. The Lifeborn Order Represented so far by the big Dragon in the GenCon display.

3. The Ironclad Collective These are cyborg type mechanoids, represented by the Melter Deathforge and a squad in drawings, and a guy who is almost all mouth.

Other Notes

* Also promised or sketched: Historical units, a Marro Pirate, and a dragon riding figure who may be Sonlen (or not) with an Ullar banner on his back.

* Its been mentioned by Avalon Hill that "Age of Annihilation" is the name of the new era, not necessarily that of an upcoming Master Set. So it could be a general logo like "The Battle of All Time."

* Sir Heroscaper is now doing update videos on Youtube. There is also a 'No Post' consolidated thread on General Discussion/ Heroscape News collecting all of the sketches and other Avalon Hill feedback that is now being revealed daily.

Last edited by chas; August 17th, 2022 at 05:32 AM.
Old August 19th, 2022, 07:43 AM

Our next game date has been changed from Wed. Sept. 14; to Wed Sept. 21. Guests are welcome after we finish our draft, which should be soon.

Last edited by chas; August 19th, 2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 05:54 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Looks good. Similar to a Princess capture game we played once. I’ll take Utgar.

I'll take Aquilla. Chas is next.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 09:23 AM

THE DRAFT RESULTS FOR FACTION FLAGBEARERS September 21, 2022

Yikes--you took my pick! Just because I wanted to see Scytale's custom on the table, since I have a thing about playing everyone once, and I don't recall if we ever used him, although I did have the card from ages ago. Well, you're more of a dwarf guy than I am. You don't have to go dwarf of course, but there are a few C3V dwarf cards we haven't used on the table yet, I think.

TW proposed Mogrimm Forgehammer as a good proxy Acquilla Flagbearer since he's holding his axe high like a standard, but unless SD has a figure he wants to use or isn't using MF as himself, I'll offer one from my entire custom Dwarven Army (collected before most of those we have now came out, along with my own custom Orc Army too). Its always a bit confusing to use an existing figure as someone else, rather than a new proxy figure. (I sent a message to Scytale on his customs thread to see if there have been any changes to Dorrond's card since the old days).

Choosing a Flagbearer of course has two factors: the ability of the Flagbearer himself, and which type of army you want to play, since half must be of your Flagbearer's faction. Come to think of it, one would also want to consider which C3Vs have come out since the Flagbearers that would work well in such an army. And that's all the C3V figures there are, so we have lots of possibilities for new synergies there!

Back to the drawing board for me. Okay then, I'll take Vydar/Laglor. So I'll have to be a straight shooter! I've enjoyed using him before, and he's been one of the tops in popularity when we started using FBs.

And now, since TW has already chosen, the quick draft is finished, and we can start building our two armies each for September 21. Kolakoski is probably already making changes to his, since he's the only guy who's choice was confirmed before this, and he loves to improve his army builds. Anyhow:

OUR DRAFT PICKS

Kolakoski: Utgar/Ornak

Sherman Davies: Acquilla/Dorrond Greatstone (Scytale Custom)

Chas: Vydar/Laglor

Taeblewalker: Ullar/Acolarh

If anyone else in or near NYC wants to join in, the available Factions/Flagbearers left are:

Jandar/Sir Gilbert: A popular FB who has been on our table a lot.

Einar/Hamtaro Taro: Less used, but gives his bonuses to all his faction mates.

Valkrill/Gothlok: Our C3V entry, he's been used several times as well.

Note: Armies don't have to be approved before the game day, since there's nothing controversial about their builds for this scenario. But do contact me if you have any questions about them. Remember, one army for Free For All, and one for Team Play, although you can use the same for both types of games if you prefer. As I always say: "I insist that you do what you want."

I do have all the Classic Flagbearer cards and figures here for us. Now I just have to pick a map!

It will be interesting to see how Flagbearers if any are handled in the new Age of Annihilation, since its been confirmed that that's Sonlen riding his now grown dragon and carrying Ullar's flag, in one of the new designer sketches we've seen so far!

Last edited by chas; August 23rd, 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 12:42 PM

Our correspondence from Scytale's thread:

From me:

Just a note to Scytale and everyone that Dorrond Greatstone, his custom Acquilla Flagbearer, has just been drafted for the September 21, 2022 Faction Flagbearer scenario we'll be playing here in our New York City Gang Of Four homage to the new implementation of Factions in Heroscape 2.0, the new Scape revival! You can check it out by hitting my signature line and forwarding to the end of the thread, where we are now discussing this game.

Let me know if there have been any changes to DG since his first printing, since that's the one we'll be using.

From Scytale:

Wow! That's quite an honor! I hope it goes well.

I have not made any changes to Dorrond, so you're good to go.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:27 AM

Heroscape On youtube

Since I've recently been viewing Sir Heroscaper's Age of Annihilation Update videos on youtube, I've been seeing all other kinds of Heroscape content there. They remind me that Capture The Flag (but not the Flagbearers) was an old type of Scape scenario, since one is there to see (also by Sir H.). They use a long thin board in a two player more conventional game with glyphs. I can't use that map for the four of us on a larger format, but the idea of returning a "Flag" to the enemy start zone is also there.

So if you haven't looked on youtube for Heroscape material, there is plenty there to see from years gone by, and also new stuff about Scape 2.0!
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:55 AM

Map For Faction Flags Scenario (September 21)

"Everything Old Is New Again"

I've been looking at some of the original HeroScape rules booklets, due to some of the recent Heroscape 2.0 reveals on new Powered Up figures including the rest of the Heroes from Swarm of the Marro. So I've chosen a battlefield from the original ROV game maps!

The map will therefore be THE FORSAKEN WATERS BATTLEFIELD

For centuries, the Dark Lakes separated the Regions of Laur and Nastralund. When the search for the Wellsprings began, the lakes became a source of dispute between the Archkyries on each side. The each built a fort on their shore, but dozens of skirmishes quickly reduced the area to ruins.

This can be found on Page 8 of the original Battlefield & Game Scenario Booklet from Return of the Valkyries or on Page 20 of the 2nd Edition Rules.

It seems to be offline on the Official Game site section. (If anyone can find it and post it here, please do). So a short description follows. We will be adding a 24 hex start zone for each player, since it was originally meant for smaller armies, and we may have a guest player or two--we've just been contacted by a local player who has a playing pal also. If either bails in, they can draft from the remaining three Flagbearers.

This is a somewhat symmetrical map, based on eight 24 hexers with a few other hexes here and there and water in the center. Its got a set of Ruins but no trees/roads/other terrain that was released subsequent to Rise of the Valkyries. There is height and water, but we won't be using any of the glyphs.

I am therefore adding a rule that each army is limited to 24 hexes, which should have been there in the first place, and highlighting it here, as well as adding it to the scenario description upthread.

Last edited by chas; August 28th, 2022 at 05:03 AM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 05:40 PM

Fifth Player Joins Up For Next Game

A local Scaper who is getting back into the game after hearing the Heroscape Age of Annihilation news, Magic Gama just came over to meet me and play a couple of 2 Player 500 Point games today (we each won one). He's chosen Jandar/Sir Gilbert to play in Faction Flags on Sept. 21.

He also wants to play on a Saturday here next month. He's very enthusiastic about Scaping! We played on another of the original Scape maps, Trollsford Swamps (without a scenario or glyphs), which only took me 20 minutes to build.

As another nod to Scape 2.0, which will be providing powered up versions of the rest of the Swarm of the Marro heroes, I had Shiori in one of my armies, although I never activated her.

Last edited by chas; August 31st, 2022 at 06:42 AM.
Old August 31st, 2022, 06:47 AM

September Saturday Scape

Since the new guy is so enthusiastic about playing, we're going to do a second Saturday session on one of the next two Saturdays--either Sept. 3rd or 10th. The rest of you are welcome to join us, as is anyone else! After I've heard from you all offline, I'll announce the date.

Since we played on one of the original ROV Battlefield maps and will be using another for our Wednesday game in September, I've a notion to play on all five of them, and will probably use a third for this Saturday game. Like the first game, we'll be using 500 point armies. Last time we just used Classic figures; this time we'll open it up to our usual Classic/Custom options.
Old September 1st, 2022, 08:49 AM

One Army Or Two?

Now that I've picked a map for Faction Flags on September 21, I have to think about Army Building. In the scenario I suggested that player might want to choose different armies of their faction for the Free For All and the Team Game. What do you think. Is it worth building a different army for both formats, or will you do only one?

This may simply come down to building one army, and then making up a variant with the cards I couldn't fit into it for the second. However, the idea that different units would work better in a team game is intriguing, and I'll be considering that.

For those taking part, and those just lurking and theoryscaping here, what would you do?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion