Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Spoilers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
...Anyway, LR, I didn't give anything away, did I?...
Nah, ...you just off-handedly mentioned that the invader's ship got BLOWN UP! ^_^

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon
Russel Davies will probably end up as Controller of the BBC. That day, I will declare war on Sherpherds Bush.

Whats annoying me is the every-episode-features-a-new-minor-celebrity. Other than Simon Pegg, everyones really annoyed me.

AND WHERES THE BRIGADIER?
You know, 90% of the time I have absolutely no clue as to what you're attempting to communicate. This time however I can't even make sense of your word combinations ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Mal, I didn't understand all of Euryon's post either. Your post made me go look wiki "Shepherds Bush." It appears that the BBC has some historical relation to that community.

Although Euryon's post is mired in cultural relativism, he's complaining about the same thing that we complain about in our own media currently. Namely that they cross promote their picks for who the current "it" person of the week is. His reference to minor celebs screams to me that the Beeb is practicing the same crap that our own media is.

What's humorous to me (in a sick sort of way) is how close our media has come to what has previously been portrayed in Robocop, The Running Man, and Judge Dredd.

Dystopia here we come!

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Re: Spoilers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidor
...AND one of the commercials on Sci-Fi for the Season 2 DVDs has a brief shot of K-9 in it!!!
Ep 3 - School Reunion. This is the "must not miss" episode of the series. And K-9 is not what makes it so good. I'd drop a hint or two, but that would be unfair. Besides, you've only got a week or two to wait. Long-time Who fans must NOT miss this episode.

Quote:
I hear that the Cybermen are coming back this season too... SWEET.
What - after what happened to them *last* series? I'd be very surprised. Oh, you mean the series that's being shown now to you guys? Ah. Enjoy being 6 months behind, chaps, it's what we have to suffer with every single smegging US show

As for the "it person of the week", the Beeb is *not* doing that at all, IMO. Rather it's a measure of the programme's success (and the regard that Russel Davies is held in) that various celebs *want* to be in Doctor Who. But don't worry - you won't recognise most of them. They're largely Brit names and faces (for example, "Trigger" showing up was instantly recognisable to us - he'd had a long-running role in a very succesful UK sitcom. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of Americans recognise the face though.

When the series was shown in the 80's (and especially by the 90's), although recogniseable faces were still popping up as guest stars, fewer and fewer "names" wanted anything to do with the show. Whereas for both the Ecclestone series (and more so with the second new series), the producers have been able to get people of a certain quality in as the guests. the Simon Pegg episode, for example, has two readily recognised guest stars (though it may be a cultural thing - I can't imagine that someone like Peter Kaye will receive 5% of the recognition he gets here when the show airs in the States).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
"Smegging"

Love it.

But lets not talk "RedDwarf". Because we all know it went to Hell after Series IV (You MIGHT make a case for Series V, but I would still dispute that.)

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:10 AM
ATF Agent

Richard, the cultural reference statement was more to the point of Euryon mentioning going to war against Shepherds Bush. That'd be like me telling a Brit that I'm pissed at Tony the Tiger so I'm besieging Battlecreek (look it up folks).

One "name" that was in the show nearer the end (although I suspect not the end you're referring to) was Brian Blessed. He's one of my all time favs of British actors. I first encountered him as Vultan in Flash Gordon. He was just as cool in the DW episodes he guest starred in and the 1st series of The Black Adder.

Old October 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Quote:
Russel Davies will probably end up as Controller of the BBC. That day, I will declare war on Sherpherds Bush.

Whats annoying me is the every-episode-features-a-new-minor-celebrity. Other than Simon Pegg, everyones really annoyed me.

You know, 90% of the time I have absolutely no clue as to what you're attempting to communicate. This time however I can't even make sense of your word combinations ...
Because I have limited communication skills, or because youre not familiar with British culture?

Anyway, attend:

Quote:
Russel Davies, writer and director of the recent Dr.Who series, will probably end up as Controller (CEO) of the BBC because he is very much the BBC's wonderboy at the moment. That day, I will declare war on Sherpherds Bush, which is where most of the BBC's studios are situated (or used to be), and as mentioned, is the historic home of the Beeb.

Whats annoying me is the every-episode-features-a-new-minor-celebrity. Other than Simon Pegg, everyones really annoyed me. Simon Pegg is Shaun from "Shaun of the Dead" (If you havent seen that movie, and claim to have a sense of humour, rent it, buy it, download it, or something) or Tim from "Spaced" (again, rent it, buy it, download it).

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old October 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Vette71 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
Richard, the cultural reference statement was more to the point of Euryon mentioning going to war against Shepherds Bush. That'd be like me telling a Brit that I'm pissed at Tony the Tiger so I'm besieging Battlecreek (look it up folks).

One "name" that was in the show nearer the end (although I suspect not the end you're referring to) was Brian Blessed. He's one of my all time favs of British actors. I first encountered him as Vultan in Flash Gordon. He was just as cool in the DW episodes he guest starred in and the 1st series of The Black Adder.
I also enjoyed John Cleese's cameo in City of Death, but couldn't stand Alexei Sayle's character in Revelation of the Daleks.
Black Adder was frakkin' hilarious!
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM

Vette71 has disabled reputation
The more I watch series 2 (I hate calling it that, it should be considered a continuation in all respects, but I digress) it really has to be said that Doctor Who is back in a way that it never was with Eccleston.
David Tennant is brilliant! It's like watching classic Who all over again with slick production & effects. Series 1 was almost like a "reimagined version."
But are they having to edit the versions we see in the states for running time or something? I had watched the trailers as they aired in Brittain on the BBC website and each one so far had scenes that didn't show up.
For example, I remember the trailer or TARDISode for The girl in the Fireplace showing the human crew of the spaceship being "taken" by the robots...
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:20 AM
ATF Agent

Holy Crap! Did anyone watch the two parter, The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit? That was awesome! It was Doctor Who w/all his kitch and wit at it's best.

One thing I can't quite figure out, though. Fox was bashed for having the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann, kiss a girl. David Tennant's version, the 10th Doctor, seems to be practically romantically in love w/Rose. What is the deal? If there are any Brits out there w/some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker
what the hell. they went through 3 doctors already with the new series?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:07 AM
ATF Agent

No, just 2. Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor) quit after one season. Please don't get me started, much cussing will follow. Paul McGann was on the 1997 Fox movie that was a oneshot here in the USA. He has an extensive line of novels and audio plays featuring him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media