Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old May 16th, 2014, 05:58 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
His name is pronounced Ah-She Doo-Loo.
As I thought. That's an unimpressive name to my ears. The Doo-Loo part in particular; it sounds like some kind of candy or baby-babble. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilou View Post
Because of Stealth Underground Movement, I would think that it would be easier for A-D to get in a position to use both her/his auto-kill and regular attack. Whereas, it would seem that often Grimnak will have to chomp away at weaker units who are in his way and may or may not get to use his base attack.
Well, your opponent can just set a trap to get Ashi in a bad spot to attempt a Devour+Attack. Dok tried it on me, but I didn't fall for it.

If you keep your figures spaced out, you shouldn't have a problem with him Devouring+Attacking. Unless you're trying to set something up on your next turn to get him in a bad spot.

Also, Ashi only has 4 life, while Grimnak has 5.

Last edited by MegaSilver; May 16th, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
As I thought. That's an unimpressive name to my ears. The Doo-Loo part in particular; it sounds like some kind of candy or baby-babble. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.
Eh. I loved it as soon as I came up with it. To each his own.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

My youngest daughter named her Furby Loo-Doo, but at the end of a compound said quickly I could get used to saying Doo-Loo with a straight face (FWIW).

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
The name Ashi-Dhulu seems sorta Lovecraftian to me. I like it.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun

With the species changed to Worm (or something non-Demon) it would have my approval for review.

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; May 16th, 2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: and only after that change will it get that approval
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I would say that at least at first blush, Ashi-Duhlu seems slightly undercosted when compared with Grimnak.
I recognize that Grimnak bonds and provides an attack aura.
You recognize it but you have failed to internalize it. I'm mildly surprised people feel the need to continue this conversation when the Heavy Gruts exist.

A-D is a useful cleanup figure that is a nice add-on to some cheaper builds. Grimnak is the central figure of one of the strongest builds in the game.

Quote:
But A-D has two more attack (4 vs. 2) and one more defense (5 vs. 4), which give A-D a fighting chance against some of the heavy hitters in the game.
Actually, somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 less attack. (4 vs. 2 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4)

Also, as Mega pointed out, 1 less life. 5D+4L is probably marginally better than 4D+5L, but it means worse synergy with Raelin (and it would mean worse synergy with Nerak, if Grimnak had that stat line). You could argue pretty easily that 5D/4L is better for A-D (who will often be working solo) and 4D/5L is better for Grimnak (a midgame unit who will often be protected by Raelin, Nerak, or both).

Quote:
Plus, Devour with Stealth Underground movement in many situations gives her/him an auto kill from 4 spots away that can't be screened against.
The only person who can lock her/him down is Major X-17, who barely sees play, whereas Grimnak can be screened by anyone (Rats, Goblins, etc.) and has to face leaving engagement attacks to get to juicier targets.
My goodness, have you ever even played Grimnak + Heavies?

This is one of the primary appeals of the build - Grimnak Chomps, Heavies (with their disengage) flow through the gap unimpeded. Also, Grimnak can be screened for using his own Heavies, protecting him from a premature death. I will very frequently position Grimnak such that he doesn't even get to use his attack of 2 - I just chomp and then put Heavies in positions that keep him from being swarmed.

Quote:
As far as attacking uniques, Grimnak has the ability to chomp uniques 25% of the time. Both get to attack after using their auto-kill power. However, A-D's attack of 4 is going to more reliably wound heroes and kill squaddies than Grimnak's weak attack of 2.
Do I need to say it?

First 25%>0. Secondly, Grimnak can get 2 attacks of 4 and 2 attacks of 3 on that same unique after his attack of 2.

Quote:
Because of Stealth Underground Movement, I would think that it would be easier for A-D to get in a position to use both her/his auto-kill and regular attack. Whereas, it would seem that often Grimnak will have to chomp away at weaker units who are in his way and may or may not get to use his base attack.
Which he doesn't need.

FWIW, in the A-D test I ran I never devoured and attacked in the same turn. (A-D did fine in that test, FWIW, but a decent player can make it difficult for A-D to get both Devour and attack.)

Quote:
Overall, A-D is a less "swingy" unit and seems like a figure who could work in a lot of different army combinations, whereas Grimnak is pretty much only going to be optimally used with Blade Gruts or Heavy Gruts (not that there is anything wrong with those gruts).
Not just nothing wrong. It's one of the strongest builds there is.

Grimnak is far more valuable in a Heavy Grut build than A-D will be in any build. He's also a very consistent performer in that build, taking down opposing squad figures at a steady clip and stabilizing the board position of the Gruts.

Mega's contention that A-D is worth between 100 and 120 points was hilariously overprecise, but based on my experience testing, the figure is not overpriced. More to the point here, the comparison to Grimnak is simply not apt.
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:30 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!

Just want to say that I love the thematic effect of a gigantic worm-demon burrowing down, disappearing, and then suddenly materializing to swallow some poor shrieking Orc.

Man, I hope this guy is accepted to VC in some form...

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:43 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like the title to some horrifying Lovecraft Children's book.

See Ashi burrow!

Burrow through the ground!

See Dhulu gobble!

Gobble up the town!

See Ashi-Dhulu AND BE DRIVEN TO THE DEPTHS OF MADNESS PATHETIC MORTAL FOOL!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Ashi-Dhulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Anyway, Devour is not intended to let Ashi move with Stealth Underground Movement twice in a turn right? As written I think it might, but as long as the intent is clear that can be fixed in editing.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:47 PM

It's before moving, and SUM is instead of moving, so he only moves once.
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:58 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
It's before moving, and SUM is instead of moving, so he only moves once.
Well if that's the intent fine, but like I said, I don't read it that way as it is currently written.

I'm mostly going off of Spider-Man's (the official one, not the C3G one) Spidey-Sense and Swing Line interaction here. Spidey-Sense specifically lets you break the time restriction placed in Swing Line, and I read Devour as doing the same thing. It lets you 'immediately' move with SUGM while you're still in the before moving phase, and you've still got a move phase to do whatever you want with.

But like I said, as long as the intent is no double-dipping that can be fixed later.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like the title to some horrifying Lovecraft Children's book.

See Ashi burrow!

Burrow through the ground!

See Dhulu gobble!

Gobble up the town!

See Ashi-Dhulu AND BE DRIVEN TO THE DEPTHS OF MADNESS PATHETIC MORTAL FOOL!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Ashi-Dhulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
You mean like this?

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs