Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 20th, 2008, 04:30 AM

outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby!
What got you into Heroscape?

I don't know if this topic has been made... I've searched but nothing really came up. soooooo....what was it? I'll go first, I haven't played a board game since I was about 10, and it was Monopoly, but last X-mas we received some game called Pirateology. It wasn't great at all but it had something about it that my ps2 didn't, live social interaction with a real person playing with you at the other end.That opened up a whole new perspective for me, so I decided to explore a bit more about board games at this wonderful site called boardgamegeeks.com...(I'm sure most of you have been there.) which led me to Heroscape, it looked really cool. it's not everyday you see an alien with a fire breathing dragon on the box. So, after I read a bunch of reviews and browsed a bunch of pics,I knew I had to buy it. And then I was led here! The rest is history.
So what's your story?

my collection so far:
4 rotv sets
2 sotm sets
3 vw sets
1 tt
4 rttff sets
2 fota sets
every expansion except wave 1,and 2 (man, I wish I had Krug!)

SCAPE OR DIE!
Great transactions with: Cavalier,Jim,rudyvalentine,Hilo Scaper,land.scape,Lord Pyre,Cosmo,Hogg,TheSilverSurfer,lefton4ya,Superfrog wargamingaddict87...

Last edited by outforblood; June 11th, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What got you into Heroscape?

I've always liked games, but haven't had many face-to-face opponents. About a year ago, I guess it was, my family/circle started getting more into very happy, non-confrontational German-style games-- Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico. Having people to play against = good. Eurogames = bad. So I went looking for boardgames that were simple enough that they'd be easy to introduce, but basically the polar opposite of those games in every conceivable way. Heroscape fit the bill.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was at a friend's house and we wanted to play a game. It was Heroscape, and though we didn't really follow some rules, I liked it. So, I wanted to buy it a few months later. When Mom was searching to see if it won any awards, I found this site. After I bought it I introduced it to the rest of my friends (with correct rules), and now SuperEsenwein and I are hosting 8-10 person tournaments with friends. Funny thing is, now, that original friend doesn't play Heroscape any more.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker

The commercial got me interested. Then my great aunt got if for my cousin for Christmas that year. Very fun.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

I'll play.

The whole family was camping with some of our friends. One rainy day I was dragged to a Toyworld store (basically the same as Toy 'R' Us in the US) by a couple of friends who were buying parts for remote controlled cars. The store had a big sale on so I was walking around, having a look. I was looking through the board games (which I've always enjoyed - things like Scattegories, Boulderdash; you know, word games) which where on the bottom shelf. I picked up a classic version of Risk (with real wood pieces) when I spotted something behind it that I'd never seen before. It was this huge box with some freaky looking creature and a dinosaur on the front. I discarded the Risk box and picked up this heavy box. I knew nothing about the game but bought it because the price ticket which read $90 (remember I live in Australia) had a big red line thought it and a handwritten price tag which read $30. I was sold.

At the camp that night, I cracked open the box. Robots, vikings, WW2 army men, a dragon, a dinosaur; what the hell had I bought? I was engrossed in the rule book, but couldn't really get my mind around the whole concept so we set up a board after dinner and fluffed our way through a game. After we had an idea of what we were doing, we played again. And again. And again. Eventually the owner of the caravan park came by and told us to be quiet and go to bed.

I played HS quite regularly for a couple of months and one day I wondered if there was any other maps for the game. I jumped on the web and went to the official web site and discovered how much had been released. I was amazed. I was surfing around the web, trying to find a local supplier when I stumbled onto a little site called Heroscapers. It was all downhill from there.

My collection so far:
4 RotV sets (all second editions)
1 Marvel set
1 SotM set
2 FotA sets
2 RttFF sets
All of wave 1
only 1/4 of wave 2 (but I got Krug baby )
All of wave 5
only 1/4 of wave 6 (Archers & Kyrie)
All of wave 7
All of the Large Heroes packs

Not too bad considering I live on the other side of the world.
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

My wife and I attend a small bible study group with people from our church. When we got to the house I was in one room talking to a couple of the people there when my daughter comes running into the room yelling "Daddy you have to see this game!". So I went in to see what it was and it was Heroscape. The immediate connection was made by my daughter because she saw Grimnak and she loves dinosaurs. I had seen Scape at stores like Walmart and TRU, but never looked to hard at it, once I saw how my daughter reacted to it, I thought a lot harder about picking it up. I had it 2 weeks later and the rest as they say is history.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by outforblood View Post
I don't know if this topic has been made... I've searched but nothing really came up.
A few other threads on this topic:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=1876

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=5115

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=3701
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Daddio is surprisingly tart

What a delight to read your stories!

Hmmm....as I recall, it was a few years ago that I happened to notice the game on store shelves while browsing other miniature wargames.

I jumped on the official site and heard that "This is HeroScape" voice and demo. I kept kicking the tires, and quickly realized that I could pick up this game for 40 bucks and get to playing or get into something else and pay 20 bucks...per figure!!!

The game looked fun, so I bought a set. I play with my boys now, age 7 and 9.

"I think you like buying HeroScape stuff more than you like actually playing HeroScape." -Mommio-

Daddio's Random Comments (customs page)
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker

It was mentioned in a gamer's chat room I frequent last November. After viewing a demo video and gawking at the prices on Amazon.com, I finally ordered a Swarm of the Marro when Amazon put them on sale. I also rabidly searched for additional deals, hoping to avoid spending too much. I got an Orm's Return for 6 dollars online, which I thought was a pretty good deal. After Christmas, I drove around town snagging what I could find, acquiring a couple Castle sets on clearance, a lava set, and a number of Wave packs.

I still ended up spending too much though My collection continued with grabbing RotV's on clearance from Kmart. Compared to some of the collections I've seen here, I'd consider my pile intermediate at best:

9 RotV
2 SotM
2 FotA
4 RttFF
2 TT
1 VW
about half the wave packs, both large hero packs

Last edited by Pygon; April 20th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Because of Christmas. How many folks started on Christmas or because of Christmas? Many I suppose.

Old April 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco View Post
Because of Christmas. How many folks started on Christmas or because of Christmas? Many I suppose.
You can count me on that one. I didn't receive HS for the holiday, but while shopping at a Walmart two Christmases ago I spied a pack of the IV Roman Legion. They've always been my favorite historical soldiers so I had to own the pack without even knowing what they were for. Needless to say after I found out...

Collection is a bit too big to go thru, but quickly I have at least one of everything, just about 3 of every common, about 25 master sets, 10 Roads, 30 Castles, and a few of each of everything else.

Played in my 1st tourney yesterday and had an absolute blast... need more scape.

-insert signature here-
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM

bjmorga Woo who?

I started because a friend of mine played when he lived in Mississippi. He sold all of his stuff prior to moving and didn't know he would find someone like me (i.e., another 20-something geek) in his town. I ended up finding a master set for $5 at K-Mart on Christmas eve last year. The rest is history!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion