Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
I haven't posted anything from the other thread, but have read it all. It is quite disturbing to see something like that unfold. Glad Sky handled the situation properly and that we have good admins here to make the scapers community aware of what is possible...

Having recently played in a tournament, I've got to meet some really cool people. And I've been offered by some of these people to hang out for some scapin'. I'm honored by their invitations and can't wait to casually hang out and play a great game we all love. It all comes with instinct... I can tell you this... When my g/f and I played the tournament, by instinct and first impressions of who we thought were some of the sincere, down to earth, cool people, turned out to be the ones that invited her and I to hang out into their homes, which means our gut instincts were correct. It doesn't mean any other members at the tournament are any less good people, it just tells me my awareness is on par. If I felt those who invited me were strange in their mannerisms, I'd decline on their offers.

It's the ones that look, act, and talk off-kilter that prove to be the ones to watch out for. And just as its understandable these people are aware that they'd be letting me into their homes, I too would have to be aware that where I'm going is safe for me as well. As it stands, I feel that I can safely trust those that have invited me. so I guess after all my rambling my point is that FunRun is totally right... It's good to meet cool people, we just all need to be aware. Thanks for everyone doing a good job as a community bringing all their thoughts and points to the table, so everyone is aware of something like this.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I've met online friends in real life twice. Both initial meetings were at public places and one of those meetings has turned into an enduring RL friendship where we go to a con together every year and celebrate the 4th of July together. My wife has met some online friends as well and it's worked out pretty good. The 'in public' first rule would have to be the standard-bearer, but I can certainly testify that meeting people can be worth it!

~Aldin
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
I have met four individuals from these boards scapers and HQ...three of them were guests at my house. and one was met at an alternate location while I was out of town with family. Due to circumstances, we were unable to play but decided to meet and chat anyhow.

Out of all the encounters, the only one that struck me as odd was with UD. We all know UD is strange and I expected him to be exactly how he was. I had no idea that what uncovered recently would be something that now disturbs me about inviting someone to my home and more importantly to my family.

I am not afraid to invite others to game and if given the chance will do so again. his recent event will not stop me but will make me stay vigilant and remain cautious.

The important thing to take out of this is that there are dangers and one must be careful. One must also realize that for the few bad apples out there, there are many more great people that truely outnumber them...those are the people I consider my friends and will gladly welcome.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
In light of our most recent events and in line with this topic, I wonder if anyone here has good alternatives / suggestions for ways or places to meet with fellow gamers in a public location outside of our homes? Atleast until a personal face-to-face relationship has been establised.

I was recently in the local Ihop (yeah, so? I like the chocolate chip pancakes.), when I saw a group of guys in the back playing magic the gathering. They did this once a week. Now one of the guys knew the Ass. Manager and MtG is a little less room intensive than HS but it got me thinking. Maybe there are certain major chains out their who, during slower times, would be happy to have some gamers visit them from time to time.

Anyone else have any other ideas on locations?

Bannister

PS Yeah I know it put in the stars, but I thought it was funny so I left it.

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister
In light of our most recent events and in line with this topic, I wonder if anyone here has good alternatives / suggestions for ways or places to meet with fellow gamers in a public location outside of our homes? Atleast until a personal face-to-face relationship has been establised.

I was recently in the local Ihop (yeah, so? I like the chocolate chip pancakes.), when I saw a group of guys in the back playing magic the gathering. They did this once a week. Now one of the guys knew the ***. Manager and MtG is a little less room intensive than HS but it got me thinking. Maybe there are certain major chains out their who, during slower times, would be happy to have some gamers visit them from time to time.

Bannister

The big book store chaines like Barnes and Noble allow this sort of thing.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:

I was recently in the local Ihop (yeah, so? I like the chocolate chip pancakes.), when I saw a group of guys in the back playing magic the gathering. They did this once a week. Now one of the guys knew the ***. Manager and MtG is a little less room intensive than HS but it got me thinking. Maybe there are certain major chains out their who, during slower times, would be happy to have some gamers visit them from time to time.

Bannister

Cool, thanks there is a Books a Million near me, I will have to check that out.

How about Libraries and Churches? We have held large events in a local church that has a gymnasium. They rent it out for $35 an hour. Both of these have tables and such so...? The church would work for a large gathering but no so much for a first time meeting between 3 of 4 gamers.

Bannister

Old September 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM

toddrew has disabled reputation
May be stating the obvious here, but the denver area members have met at different gaming shops, and of course were welcome there

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Yeah, gaming shops are certainly one place if you have the connections.

However, in my immediate area there was one. The guy barely even looked up from behind his screen to say they weren't really interested.

There are a couple of other Warhammer type places but they are not convenient for me anyway.

So...yeah smok'em if you gott'em I say.

Bannister

Old September 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Quote:
Yeah, gaming shops are certainly one place if you have the connections.

However, in my immediate area there was one. The guy barely even looked up from behind his screen to say they weren't really interested.
Kinda the "Simpson's Comic Shop Owner" type, eh? I often (well, not that often) wonder what the heck these people are doing running businesses for the public - to spread their disdain for life?

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I guess I kinda should pipe up here and this is going to sound kind of odd to you guys but here goes. First i would say that even when I use to chat with UD back on HQ I would have never invited him to my home by himself. No way no how, maybe in a tournament setting it would be different.

As far as not inviting people to my home now? No way. There are many here I actually would invite to my home to hang out. There are just to many good people here to ignore. I think after almost a year of chatting to some of you guys online I have a pretty good feel for who you are.

Many of you I know have families, many hold alot of the same morals I do. When I was in Cali for our get together I would say that not meeting the Socal crew would have been a huge loss for me. They are a class act all around and my door is open to anyone of them. As for the rest of you, there are quite a few of you I know more about than I do most people right here in my home town. Heck I even knew all about UD and while I did not see the danger fully either, he would not have been coming over for pot roast dinner by himself. It only goes to show alot of times your opinions you form of people are pretty well right. I think the gut factor is a huge piece of advice to follow.
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Quote:

Bannister

One of the best place I know of is your local library. Libraries almost always have meeting rooms that you can rent out. This is a very public option for open gaming. Typically they are a little cleaner than some of the game shops I have played in as well! I am hosting an event at a library here in PHX. The room holds 40 people and costs $5/hr. The event is going to be 5 hours, so that is only $25. I am picking up the tab on the room, but I am sure if you have enough people to chip in, it is a very inexpensive, safe, clean, public place to play. The only downside I have come across so far is that you can't bring food in the room.

--Lonewolf
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
Quote:
Quote:

Bannister

One of the best place I know of is your local library. Libraries almost always have meeting rooms that you can rent out. This is a very public option for open gaming. Typically they are a little cleaner than some of the game shops I have played in as well! I am hosting an event at a library here in PHX. The room holds 40 people and costs $5/hr. The event is going to be 5 hours, so that is only $25. I am picking up the tab on the room, but I am sure if you have enough people to chip in, it is a very inexpensive, safe, clean, public place to play. The only downside I have come across so far is that you can't bring food in the room.

--Lonewolf
Denny's (late night) had a backgammon group that met. You might try some pubs, cafes, etc. If you're in Indy, there's always The Ram.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events