Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old June 16th, 2012, 01:55 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: caps' maps - updated 6/6

I would like some feedback on this map--I'm now considering a submission to BoV, although I'm not entirely sure what is entailed in that.

Reset the Swamp - added 6/16/12
Spoiler Alert!

I feel like I have polished this map pretty well, but maybe it still needs more overhauls. The only other change I am contemplating at this point is stacking 1-2 more 7-hexxers in the center, but the low-ground there is a predominant feature of the map in my mind and I'm very reluctant to change that.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:56 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm now considering a submission to BoV, although I'm not entirely sure what is entailed in that.
Hi capsocrates,

"Reset the Swamp" does look more polished with each iteration, so kudos for putting in the work. But I think you are in danger of putting the cart before the horse here.

After publishing a map, I'd suggest getting it worked into tournaments first to see how it stands up. If a map is battle tested, the BOV panel will be much more inclined to review.

Cheers,

~tgx
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
Quote:
I'm now considering a submission to BoV, although I'm not entirely sure what is entailed in that.
Hi capsocrates,

"Reset the Swamp" does look more polished with each iteration, so kudos for putting in the work. But I think you are in danger of putting the cart before the horse here.

After publishing a map, I'd suggest getting it worked into tournaments first to see how it stands up. If a map is battle tested, the BOV panel will be much more inclined to review.

Cheers,

~tgx
Alright, thanks for the tip. I've never really followed the BoV Submissions thread, just peeked in now and then. Any suggestions regarding improvements to the map? Does it look like any fun?

--
--
--

--
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:22 AM

Re: caps' maps - updated 6/16 - Reset the Swamp

I have an early version completed for a map that can be played with one of Auggie's 3'x2' road mats (since mine came in the mail today).

I'm finally going to tear down Reset the Swamp from my coffee table so I can put together Posies or Helplessness Blues.

--
--
--

--
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM

Just uploaded a nice map for use on Auggie's 3'x2' Road Mat. I got a game in tonight and really enjoyed it. I'm sure its not perfected yet, but I'm not stressing about that right now.

--
--
--

--
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:28 AM

Here is a little something I'm cooking up for the Online Heroscape Map Contest. Its based off an idea I've had previously (see Pocket Full of Posies in the OP), but it has no terrain restraints.

I call it Hell In A Handbasket. Let me know what you think. So far I've just had fun with it, and I have no idea how it plays. Any critiques are welcome.

The .pdf is here, and the .hsc file is here. Although I would discourage anyone from making an online version yet unless they want to playtest it, since I will probably be making tweaks.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; January 12th, 2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: I wonder how obvious it is that I whipped this up in under an hour?
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:11 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Interesting design, looks like there are plenty of options in the middle. Plenty of high ground if you want to brave the lava, or defensive options if it suits the unit more (which I suppose would be those with special attacks).

I know the columns support ranged figures not attacking over the gap (if I remember my rules right) but I'm wondering if all the height transitions in the middle will still make it difficult for melee units to make the distance.
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

The use of void space and columns is smart, and a lot of fun.

I worry though that, despite the huge footprint of the map, there's little incentive to go anywhere other than the middle.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post

I worry though that, despite the huge footprint of the map, there's little incentive to go anywhere other than the middle.
Well, that's sort of the point. Its a brawlers map for sure. The idea is to have instant action. If things go well for you in the center you can spill the fighting over into the other players' half of the board, but its not supposed to encourage camping on your own half of the board.

What do you suggest, though?

--
--
--

--
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:05 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

Well, that's sort of the point. Its a brawlers map for sure. The idea is to have instant action. If things go well for you in the center you can spill the fighting over into the other players' half of the board, but its not supposed to encourage camping on your own half of the board.

Personally, I'd want more than one path to the other side of the map. Maybe something around the edges. It is reasonably wide in the middle, at least, but I'm just not sure what extending those walls so far out from the middle is really accomplishing.

Also, the map is completely flat (no height advantage given or received) outside of that middle area.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I'd want more than one path to the other side of the map. Maybe something around the edges. It is reasonably wide in the middle, at least, but I'm just not sure what extending those walls so far out from the middle is really accomplishing.

Also, the map is completely flat (no height advantage given or received) outside of that middle area.
I suppose rectifying the height situation wouldn't necessarily encourage camping in the outsides. I'll tweak it.

You've given me another idea. I should have another map or two posted sometime later this week.

--
--
--

--
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM

I haven't uploaded any pictures for this post, but there are pictures in the .pdfs below.

Here is Hell In a Handbasket 1.1 in .pdf and .hsc.

Here is Hell In a Handbasket 2.0 in .pdf and .hsc. This version is probably much better and I think it addresses Typhon and dok's concerns simultaneously.

And here is Sooner or Later (a disappointment so far) in .pdf and .hsc.

EDIT: Here is Hell's Loop, which is more like what I wanted Sooner Or Later to be like. PDF and .hsc

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; January 14th, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios