Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old March 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Tolamos knows what's in an order marker Tolamos knows what's in an order marker
Thumbs up Who sculpts their own custom figures?

Hello everybody! I wanted to see just how many people actually spend the time and effort to create their custom characters completely from scratch. I'm not talking about using bits and pieces from other figures, I'm talking full out, start from just an idea in your head and create it.

Well, for all you master sculptors out there (and even the not-so-masterful) I invite you to post pictures of your work here on this thread! Let all of heroscapers.com marvel at your artwork and congratulate you!

And for all those who have never created a figure before, I encourage you to do so because it feels good to know that you have a one-of-a-kind figure that you created with your own hands, and because it is just so much fun!!

My Customs! Trades

"Say hello to my little friend!"
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Re: Who sculpts their own custom figures?

Well, after a few days with no posts I decided to start things off with one of my own customs. Here he is:

I hope you like it and that it encourages everyone to get out there and start making some figures!

My Customs! Trades

Old March 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Old March 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolamos View Post
Well, after a few days with no posts I decided to start things off with one of my own customs. Here he is:
Wow! How did you go about making that?

This is something I've tried to do since joining the site, but haven't been able to. I used a cheap clay/play dough in my attempts. While it held details well in the crafting proccess it was very unstable and crumbled.

If you could suggest some working material (clay, plasti-cast, ect.) and tools, I'd definitely give it another go.
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Wow! How did you go about making that?

This is something I've tried to do since joining the site, but haven't been able to. I used a cheap clay/play dough in my attempts. While it held details well in the crafting proccess it was very unstable and crumbled.

If you could suggest some working material (clay, plasti-cast, ect.) and tools, I'd definitely give it another go.
It is quite a long process, but it is fun and worth it. The first thing I did was to make a "skeleton" with aluminum foil (I used wire in some of my other customs) then I put some soft-ish oven-bake clay on it (I think I used Super Sculpey) and shaped it with some ceramics tools and toothpicks. I then bake the clay and let it cool. Next I bought this thing called "Alumilite Super Casting Kit" at Hobby Lobby. I made a mold of my figure then casted him. This makes a plastic copy of the figure that (so far) has not had any problems as far as breaking and another great thing about it is that you can make multiple copies! All that's left to do after that is to paint it.

I hope this helped you out! Good luck making some figures! I'm excited to see what you can make!

My Customs! Trades

Old March 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

The molding and casting part is probably what I'd need to work with. Since my pieces tended to become brittle or fall off the "skeleton" after time recreating them in solid plastic and having a mold would be great.
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

How much did the "super sculpting kit" cost? I'd like to make my own but I'm not sure if it would be within my price range.

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:04 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
How much did the "super sculpting kit" cost? I'd like to make my own but I'm not sure if it would be within my price range.
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit $70

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit $30

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit $70

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit $30
I have purchased the large kit from a local hobby store for $50...Hobby Lobby also carries it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM

If you go to the Hobby Lobby website they usually have coupons that allow you to get up to 40% off one Item! This brought the cost down to about $40. I was able to make 9 molds with it and casted 12 figures (and a whole bunch of mess ups), a large amount of glyphs and one-hex terrain, and a ton of bases for my figures! By the time I'm done painting every thing, I might have a small master set worth of stuff! I think I got my money's worth out of it

My Customs! Trades

Old March 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Nice! I'd like to see some pictures of that.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Just another note....Alumlite comes in 3 colors for the parts you create from the molds.

The standard casts in a light bone color...but they also have white and black. You can tint the white to any color you want with a little trial and error.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards