Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: DS' Battle Reports ~ NHSD 2014!

I actually won a game on (an earlier version of) Remains with the 10th, long ago. That said, I think the map overall offers lots of very good options for most melee armies. I've even won with Kurrok+FE on that map, despite the LoS issues.

Generally speaking, while the 10th can reach the height, surviving melee can pretty reliably engage on the next turn. It doesn't strike me as particularly range-friendly map, TBH.
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Master of Formats 12/13/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
For once I don't have my own tourney sheet, so I'll have to do this from memory:

The format was Master of Formats. The first round was straight kill 'em all, the second was Reverse the Whip, then Assassin's Creed, followed by Heat of Battle and then a repeat of one of the earlier rounds, determined with the roll of a die.

The point total was 445 with a cap of 3 squads. My plan was to bring the deadly Assassin Tul Bak Ra, along with 3 squads of Dividers and Su Bak Na. Then I was going through our stuff and realized that Mok + Dwarves x3 was an excellent fit at this point total, so that's what I did.

Round 1:

DS ~ Mok, Axegrinders x3 @Gurei-Ornery ~ Kurrock, Fire Elementals x9, Isamu

This was a tough, tough matchup. My army was nearly all melee. On the other hand, I couldn't have asked for a better map. The pathing was very tight and I could limit, at least through the middle, my exposure to Searing Intensity.

I would *really* have liked to have loaded up Mok with gunners and climbed to the middle of the fountain, but my gut was telling me that there wasn't a legal way to do it, and I confirmed as much to my own satisfaction after the tournament. Two space walkers cannot climb waterfalls, it's that simple.

The story of this matchup was the FE's 4 defense holding up against Mok's ranged attack. He was able to melee them, most of the time, but Kurrock was sending them 3 at a time, and they were just too tough to get knocked out with the 3 attack dice Mok was rolling against them; at many key moments they were on the rise, flanking my starting position, and rolling a 5th defense die, too.

Eventually Mok went down to about a zillion hits on Searing Intensity, and the dwarves followed soon enough after.

0-1

Round 2:

Well, not really dignan's Treeline. It started that way, but... It had started as a normal map, and then @Johngee expanded it to accommodate 4 players, and then before bringing it to us he had piled some stuff on two opposite corners so it looked like a massive two player map instead of a four player map. You never know what you're going to get, when Johngee brings maps to a tournament. God love him.

Anyway. Reverse the whip. Hence:

DS ~ Sujoah, Spiders, Tagawa Samurai, Atlaga @Xanth ~ Mok, Axegrinders x3

Speaking of the habits of Maryland-area 'Scapers, I genuinely do not remember the last time Xanth showed up at a tournament without Atlaga. He has an amazing track record with the Bolt. So, here is the question: Was I, using Atlaga, going to get revenge for all of the rest of us, who have been repeatedly bolted by Xanth's freakish luck on the d20? Or was I going to prove the old adage (that @tom made up not so long ago) that you can never beat someone younger than you on dice rolls alone?

I led with Atlaga. It was an enormous map, as I said, and Atlaga had a lot of room to dance around and try to get a favorable position for a shot at Mok. Xanth fanned out the dwarves to try to deny Atlaga a good landing spot, but he took height and simply shot at them until the opportunity presented itself.

I picked up my slightly oversized tortoise-shell finish red & blue 20 sider from GenCon 2013, and rolled it on the giant wargaming table where we were set up . . . it clattered to a stop . . .

:drumroll:

19!!! Vindication for old people everywhere!

Xanth made a brave game of it afterward, chewing through Sujoah and the spiders, before Atlaga finished off the last dwarf. The Tagawa never moved, though in retrospect it would have been fun to load them up with markers, if I could have.

1-1

Round 3:

Assassin's Creed

DS ~ Mok, Axegrinders x3 @kldonnelly ~ Braxas, Rhogar Dragonspine, Isamu, Microcorps

In Clancampbell's version of AC, each player selects his own "general" who will be the target. Kldonnelly selected Braxas; I selected (guess) Mok.

The Microcorps were a good choice for AC, and were well-suited to this map. They would have plenty of opportunities to fire down from height as I slogged across the rough terrain with my dwarves. Still, my dwarves - sans hero - were running at 6 spaces per move, and slowly overwhelmed the Microcorps position. Once the sharpshooters were down, I managed to keep a steady supply of 2-3 in kldonnelly's start zone, replacing them as they were gassed. The acid breath wasn't working too well, and I'd been hoping when I brought this army that I'd find a large or huge hero in AC, so it all worked out pretty well for me.

2-1

p.s. Xanth's Atlaga bolted his opponent's general, in his game.

Round 4:

No, not really. But we were playing on the other map Johngee had brought, which was a similar modified 4 player mammoth.

Heat of Battle:

DS ~ Mok, Axegrinders x3
Jim ~ Charos, Greenscales x2, Marro Warriors, Me Burq Sa

I got to place first, which made a huge difference because there were two 2x1 high ground spots. By dropping one squad of dwarves just so, I made sure that I'd be able to put Mok on one of those. Jim, with all his range, fanned out across the giant map. I kept things more centralized with two dwarves close enough to MBS that they could hassle him immediately.

We went back and forth the first couple of rounds, with Charos and the Greenscales wiping out the dwarves near one of the 1x2 high ground spots. Mok came over, though, and hit Charos - high ground and all - hard enough a few times that the big dragon went down. The cannoneers also took out nearby Greenscales. We did have one dramatic moment, when I rolled 4 skulls on attack and Charos, with height, responded with 6 (!) shields. Those were the only two wounds Mok took in the entire battle; the rest of it was running around trying to chase down Marro Warriors.

Jim's dice were not very good when he needed them to be. For instance, he successfully rolled for Paralyzing Stare against a dwarf, and then he whiffed on the attack. It was the story of Jim's day, as KidScaper told me later.

3-1

Round 5:

Reverse the Whip again! I was paired against my old buddy Bill.

DS ~ Cyprien, Sonya, Charos, Deathreavers x1
Bill ~ Mok, Axegrinders x3

This was not a happy matchup. Cyprien matched up favorably against both Mok and against the Axegrinders, but Charos did not like either one, and Cyprien would not last long.

I rolled out with Cyprien first, hoping to get some big hits with Chilling Touch.

Unfortunately, Cyprine's d20 was ice cold. I believe I rolled 5 or so times against Mok, and put no more than one wound on him. It was awful. I was ready to start throwing my tortoise-shell blue and red d20 from GenCon into the next zip code.

Still, with careful positioning, Cyprien took out a few dwarves and put a couple wounds on Mok with his normal attack (IIRC). Then he went down. Charos managed to finish him off and take out a couple dwarves.

Deathreaver time! I knew that they would give the dwarves fits in a way that Charos had not. And they did, fighting five or six dwarves almost to a draw. The last rat finally went down, leaving one dwarf mano y mano with a heartbroken Sonya. I won initiative but there was nowhere for the cornered Sonya to hide from a dwarf moving six spaces, so she flew up to him, conceding height, and tried to kill him. One skull, one shield: blocked. He attacked from height: two skulls, one shield. Dead.

Ah, well. It was a close one.

3-2

Thanks for running the event, @clancampbell !!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Excellent battle report as usual, D_S!

I'm wondering now; how come Mok could not get on top of the waterfall?
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I explained it elsewhere. Consider water terrain that looks like this:

_ - -

Mok is standing to its left, so the 5 spaces look like this:

Mok
- - _ - -

Where the 3, 4, and 5 spaces are all water. In order to get to spaces 4 and 5, Mok must traverse space 3. So he goes forward one space, like so:

..Mok
- - _ - -

Now he has one foot in the water. For him to get up to the high level, he must do this (note that this is the key position; even if he starts with both hexes in the low water it looks like this):

....Mok
- - _ - -

Now he has two hexes in the water, one on the low ground, one on the high. But if he has two hexes in the water he must stop, which he cannot do. He is in an impossible situation. He therefore cannot get to the 4/5 spaces atop the fountain, because he cannot ever stand on the 3/4 spaces to get there.

= =
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Now he has two hexes in the water, one on the low ground, one on the high. But if he has two hexes in the water he must stop, which he cannot do. He is in an impossible situation. He therefore cannot get to the 4/5 spaces atop the fountain, because he cannot ever stand on the 3/4 spaces to get there.
Hmm, yeah, I can see how that would stop him, though I'd think that since he is not on even ground he could keep going, but.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I don't think that's right, MS. Your approach would give him extra move because of the variance in terrain, which is both counter-intuitive and problematic in some situations. Imagine, for instance, the following setup (viewed from the top down; upper case is the higher level):

Gwwww
GwWww

With the spaces numbered

A 2 space walker on 16 could step down from 1 and, going straight, would have to stop on 23. But the same two space walker, starting on 6, would step down to 7, then up to 8, then down to 9 and stop on 90. Because of the variance in the level of the water terrain, the walker has gotten 2 extra spaces, on water the entire time. That can't be right.

= =
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Re: DS' Battle Reports ~ New 12/13/14!

Tournament Report 3/7/15

Multiplayer Madness!

We returned to the multiplayer format we've been using for years; see previous posts for how it works. Tourney thread here; post tourney thread here.

This time we were at 310 points, 14 hexes. I had a few great armies in mind, some more cheesy than others. There were two *very* strong C3V builds I eschewed, because they both involved showing off high A C3V units. And I don't care to do that. But for posterity's sake, they were Quahon + Greenscales x2, and Marcus + Spearmen x3. I really, really wanted to use Austerios, and I probably spent far too much brain energy working on a build to highlight him, and coming up unsatisfied.

So, late Friday night before the tournament, I had a brilliant idea: Tul Bak Ra + Dividers! Sure, that left me 30 points, but throw in Guilty and done. The idea being, TBR could Teleport at enemy targets and attack high value targets, and then could summon Dividers as he's hit. KidScaper pointed out that my plan was stupid but I paid no heed.

Round 1:

We played this as a 3 player map. I had the 4:00 position. Clockwise, from there:

Dad_Scaper TBR, Dividers x3, Guilty
@CatScaper 10th Reg. x3, James Murphy, Isamu
Micah Syvarris, Aubriens x3

The 10:00 position was empty. This was the only game all day played 3-player on a 4-player map.

This game was the only one where my Plan A worked *at all*. TBR teleported into Micah's start zone and beat Syvarris to death. The Aubriens swarmed him soon after, but by then I was activating just enough Dividers per turn that I could pick off a straying Aubrien (or 10th Reg.) per turn. CS approached the battle somewhat tentatively, and that helped, too. In the end I held off Micah in a squeaker for the board victory.

1st place: 4 pts (Points are awarded 4/2/1/0 in 4 player games; 4/2/0 in 3 player games).

Round 2:

Again.

I kept my seat at the 4:00 position. Clockwise from there:

D_S TBR, Dividers x3, Guilty
Bill Kozuke Samurai, Iron Golem, Airborne Elite
@Johngee Vulcanmech Incendiborgs, Deathreavers x2, Marro Warriors
@Xanth Braxas, Atlaga

In the past, players in this format have tended to avoid bringing units that reward opponents with a high number of points per wound. In different ways all 4 of the players at this board were rejecting that heritage: Bill's fragile Airborne were a hefty 26 points each; my Dividers were 20 each but kept coming back to give more; Xanth's Incendiborgs were *60* each, once the markers were worn out, and Braxas was gobs of points per wound, too. And she had lots to give.

Unfortunately, my seat adjacent to Xanth simply doomed me. Not only was I the *best* candidate for Braxas's acid attack, I was really the *only* good candidate. I had a horde of Medium figures, most of them squaddies.

I really only had one shot, which was to try to put some wounds on the big girl early and count on TBR to survive long enough to set her up to get finished off by the Dividers. So, again an OM1 teleport. Attack of 4: Nothing. Braxas disengages; I roll for disengage: Nothing. Next OM I get another teleport/attack. Attack again: Nothing. Braxas's next move: Acid spray kills two Dividers in front of her and hits on the 17 to kill TBR behind her.

No dividing for me! No nothing! Just acid spray death, the whole game long! I got zero points for the game. Zero. Killed zero things, put zero wounds on anything. Dividers couldn't put any wounds on Braxas and she just moved around near my start zone, killing things. It was - unless you were rooting for Xanth - pretty rough.

4th place: 0 points. (4 total)

Round 3:

Again, clockwise from myself at the 4:00 position:

Kyle Kaemon Awa, Tagawa Samurai x2, Izumi Samurai
@clancampbell Syvarris, Theracus, Elite Onyx Vipers, DED
Micah Syvarris, Aubriens x3

This map was the dream setup for Clan's army, because he could carry Syvarris (or DED, but it was Syvarris) to the top of the tower, shield him with Theracus, and plink away at anything that came near him. It was not such a good setup for me, because of the height variance limiting the value of Teleport and all the high ground for all my opponents, who all had range. So it was going to be tough.

TBR got plinked early by KA for a couple wounds, and then teleported around trying to put the hurt on different things. Mostly Micah's Syvarris, as I recall. TBR didn't last long, though. My Dividers ran around picking off Elves and occasionally getting counterstruck by Kyle's samurai. For the first time all day they also had a pretty good game dividing, but mostly that meant spitting out more targets for the various archer elves roaming around. Clan took first; Micah second. At least I got some points this round!

3d place: 1 point (5 total).

Round 4:

@Robber 's Forgotten Ridge

Again, clockwise from my corner in the 4:00 position:

KidScaper Pelloth, Drow x3
@Sherman Davies Syvarris, Dreadguls x3, Isamu
@kldonnelly Raelin SotM, Omnicron Repulsors x1, Red Wyrmlings x5

I was very excited to see this matchup at the end of the day. I hadn't played a competitive game against KidScaper in ages, and kldonnelly is one of my favorite people to play with, and Sherman was of course our special guest. So I was super excited for this matchup and it did not disappoint.

This map was just enormous. Afterward, KidScaper told me he thought it could have used some road, which certainly would have been available - he pointed out - given the use of trees. At this size, it was just not reasonable for us to cross the map the long way, so we squared off against each other the short way: I sent TBR after kldonnelly's Raelin; and KidScaper tried to get at Sherman's heroes through a wall of Dreadguls.

TBR wasted a lot of energy and probably a few unnecessary wound going after Raelin. Killing Wymrlings was far more profitable and no more difficult. Though the little reds did some damage to Sherman's Dreadguls - wise choice on kldonnelly's part, I thought, rather than sending them after TBR, though he was in her start zone - they really didn't do much to me until they were almost gone and I had begun teleporting Dividers. Then the remaining Dragonling or two battled a barely-breathing TBR and a Divider or two.

Meanwhile, Sherman had his way with the Drow, who didn't do much for KidScaper all day. Pelloth had been one-shot or auto-destroyed in the first round twice, and that will hurt your chances in a four round event.

So I came in second at the table, behind Sherman.

2d place: 2 points (7 total)

9th out of 19.

My army really was kind of stupid. I just wasn't getting enough attacks per OM. The Dividers were too slow on their own, and too slow to the battlefront when teleported one or two at a time. TBR's attack was once per OM, and I had to pull off a smooth OM switch from one to the other to anticipate when he was going down, or (OTOH) when enough Dividers would be in the area for it to be useful. Not a good build for the format.

It was, however, a great day of 'Scaping. It always is. Thanks for coming, all, and especially to those who traveled a great distance and/or brought maps. See you next time!

= =
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: DS' Battle Reports ~ New 3/15/15!

I was rooting for Xanth, so it worked out.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Heh.

It was odd this year, as if everyone had planned in advance to bring high-value targets. Except for @Taeblewalker , whose bravery in bringing the Anubians paid off. And except for @kldonnelly , who brought the Repulsors precisely because she was anticipating Incendiborgs, and who took out a couple of them in one of the early rounds.

= =
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Tournament Report: GenCon Main Event 2015

KidScaper and I went light on Heroscape tournaments this year, choosing only to compete in the Main Event. There's just so much to do at GC, and there are always things you wanted to do but couldn't squeeze in. This year we made room by eliminating Heroscape tournaments from our schedule, though I think (judging by the amount of time we spent around the 'Scaping area) in the future we'd likely add another one or two back in.

The format is 460 points, Reverse the Whip.

Our philosophy last year and this year, and probably enduring into the future, is to guess low. Like I said, this is GenCon. I don't want to enter Day 2 with a comparatively strong army and get bounced in Round 1, because I could have spent the entire Saturday morning doing something else, instead of losing it all for a single one-hour game of Scape right in the middle. So we guess low.

KidScaper, as is his wont, guessed even lower than I did. He packed: Grok Riders x2, Ne Gok Sa, Me Burq Sa, and Theracus. Yes, that's two squads of Groks, *and* 20 points light. I don't know why he does that, but the crazy thing is he was dangerously close to making Day 2 with that army. He won his first game, and made a late game blunder giving away a sure win in Round 2. If he'd been 2-0 to start, he may very well have picked up a third win to sneak into Day 2 at 3-2 with that ragtag band of Marro, and there would have been some unhappy people staring down at their Groks Saturday morning. But it was not meant to be. After going 1-1, he lost 3 straight and finished 1-4. Which, he had told himself beforehand, would be enough to make him happy with that army.

For myself, I still regretted leaving my Death Chasers at the hotel last year, and denying them the opportunity to shine on the game's biggest stage. So I brought a bad Death Chasers army. How bad? This bad:

Death Chasers x4 220/12
Ogre Warhulk 370/13
Brandis Skyhunter 460/14

The thinking being that Raelin would make the build too strong, and BS could either go as an early game assassin or as a cleanup figure, situation dependent. Not that he'd be great in either role, but that would be the plan.

I've forgotten what, precisely, some of my opponents were playing. If you see it & it's wrong, please say so.

Round 1:

DS ~ DCs x4, Ogre Warhulk, Brandis Skyhunter
@vminer ~ Major Q10, Laglor, Iron Golem, Krav Maga Agents

One of the glyphs was Move +2. With Battle Rush & that glyph, I was swarming vminer's start zone by the end of Round 1. The Warhulk, aided by the road and the glyph and bonding, came stomping over as well. It quickly turned the golem into scrap metal, and my hard-hitting melee attack made short work of vminer's clothie ranged units.

1-0

Round 2:

@dok ~ Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x3, Raelin, Me-Burq-Sa, and Marcu

Dok's already written up this battle well enough, I think. Here is his account:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Oh, how I had waited for this moment. D_S and I are in regular contact thanks to our collaboration on the C3V customs project, but we never had a game last year. This event was my only chance to cross paths with him, but fortune smiled on me and paired us up.

I set up on the hill nearer to the healer glyph, and did some sniping with MBS while he sniped with Brandis. Brandis put a few wounds on Raelin, but MBS took him down before he could finish the job. At that point I was able to pretty much play in the aura and define the location of the battle. TKN actually rolled pretty terrible defense and took a bunch of wounds, but I burned Kelda around an initiative switch, then got a ridiculous 6-wound hit with TKN to finish the Warhulk. With the big guy down it was basically cleanup. After missing every stomp attempt for the first two games, I successfully stomped the final ‘chaser to take the game.
My army does not want to see Tor Kul Na, and particularly not on a road-heavy map with tight pathing. Even less so does it want to see Tor Kul Na backed by Raelin and a ranged attacker in MBS. So, my expectations were low before we started, and the game did not disappoint.

1-1

Round 3:

@R˙chean ~ Marro Warriors, Tarn Vikings, Nakita Agents, Krav Maga Agents, Kaemon Awa

I feel like R˙chean's build was very shrewd for the format, in that he has the skills to use this order marker salad of an army, but on Day 2 it might be tough for another person to use as well as he could. My army was a tough matchup on this wide-open map, though, because with Battle Rush I could fan out across the space and menace both glyphs, and with all the jungle his light-hitting ranged attacks might not even be able to take advantage of my low defense.

R˙chean led with his Tarns at the glyphs and his Marro Warriors toward the center. I countered with DC's toward the glyphs and the Warhulk up the middle, and the big guy's defense dice were enough to keep him chugging. In the end, he got all the way into R˙chean's start zone, and - as in Round 1 - my big melee attacks overwhelmed the ranged defender's few defense dice.

2-1

Round 4:

@vegietarian18 ~ Raelin 1.0, Taelord, 10th Reg. x2, Marro Warriors

As with my Round 2 game, my opponent has already given this game a very fair written treatment:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Game 4 vs. Dad_Scaper (Deathchasers x4, Ogre Warhulk, Brandis Skyhunter) on Dance of the Dryads

After the Orcs came rushing across the smallest map in the pool, I was pretty worried that I would lose my Marro Warriors before the end of round one. My OM3 on the Redcoats turned out to be poorly placed when he instead led with Brandis Skyhunter. Brandis was able to step up on to height and drop 5/6 skulls to instantly slay Raelin. I tried to stay confident and just Wait Then Fire down the incoming orcs, and for the most part it worked. 5 attack dice on 2 defense dice is a pretty favorable attack. The Warhulk made some noise but I eventually silenced him with Wait Then Fire. I was fortunate that my cheerleaders were able to block the path into the startzone to draw fire away from my Redcoats, as losing activations could have cost me the match.
I was lucky to get it as close as I did. You did a good job of denying Brandis any good perches during Round 1, and (as you know) his one-shot on Raelin was a super-long shot. Though, come to think of it, he should have attacked again. Oops! Wouldn't have made a difference, I'm sure. The pathing into your start zone was super-favorable to your WTF army. I just couldn't get in, with all the molten lava.

It was a fun game. I would have done better, if only you hadn't played so well.
The narrow pathing near the start zone simply locked down my melee army. I couldn't get past the pools of molten lava to the troops beyond, and they mowed me down. Out of four games to this point, I had lost two where I was trapped in tight paths, and won two where the map was more conducive to spreading out. No coincidence, I don't think.

2-2

Round 5:

@Unseen Shadowz ~ Charos, Greenscales x2, Skahen, Otonashi

We were told the winner was going to make Day 2. But no pressure!

I got off to a nice start, getting some nice rolls early & killing some Greenscales. Unfortunately, my attack dice against Charos went ice cold. All those attacks of 4 - 5 from the Warhulk - should have put *some* wounds up against his 5 defense, but all I got to show for countless attacks was a couple of dead, counterstruck Orcs. For the second year in a row, I lost an important game to Unseenshadowz in a dice fest at the end.

Ah, well. @Xorlof recorded this game on video; if there's ever a link for it, I'll put it here.

2-3

Many, many thanks to all the guys who ran the events: @Matthias Maccabeus , @lonewolf , and all the guys who helped, like @fomox , @Retlaw , and @Xorlof . Thanks, too, to @stay_golden_PONYBOY and everyone else who helped behind the scenes, and to @Hendal , for being the unofficial ambassador of the game. And to @MegaSilver for running a C3V event, though we didn't get to it.

Thanks also to all my opponents, who were all gentlemen and a pleasure to play against.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 9th, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Re: DS' Battle Reports ~ New 8/8/15!

Bumping this old thread, which remains my pride and joy, with a report from G-O's multiplayer event back on 2/9:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I'd love to see Pics, armies brought and battle reports. I bet games were epic! I wonder if there was much turtling? With the point of what you kill format you could technically be the first one eliminated in a game but win on points.
The format has several charms that make it my favorite. One of which is, as you guessed, that turtling is for losers. You have to rush out and kill stuff.

I'll do some battle reports. What the heck, it's been ages.

I came up with a few armies that I thought would min/max the format, but I ultimately settled on one that (I thought) would be fun but not necessarily a winner. Wolves of Badru x3 + Mimring. The idea is that the Wolves don't give points when they self-destruct on their SA. On the other hand - and this is why they are not so great - they are worth 26 points each, which is a *lot* in this format, and they only 3 per squad with a measly 3 defense. Mimring would give me a sniper to couple with them.

As I was preparing the armies for myself and my friends, I realized that the Werewolf Lord, though he's melee and would mean my whole army was basically melee, would give me a bonding option instead. So that's what I did.

I don't remember everyone's army down to every detail. I'm doing my best!

1. Echidna's Garden

Clockwise from the 2:00 position:
DS ~ Wolves x3, Werewolf Lord
kldonnelly ~ Krug, Monks, Warforged x1, Krav Maga
Ken ~ Nilfheim, Raelin, Airborne Elite
Jacob ~ Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider, Krug, Mimring

I opened in both directions, sending the WWL and one or two wolves toward kldonnelly and her high-value squaddies. My other wolves rolled north, toward Jacob's Beast army.

Kldonnelly responded with the KMA and then Krug, who kept hounding the WWL, as it ate two of her three Krav Maga Agents. I didn't even try to hit Krug, who kept hitting on engagement strikes, wearing me down.

Ken put Nilfheim on height toward the center, and used Ice Shards to pick off pieces of the other two armies while mine was still (for the most part) a little far away. The Airborne, unfortunately, did not drop until Round 3.

Jacob focused his attention on me, rather than try to engage the big white dragon. We went back and forth a bit. His Arrow Gruts were not very lucky with their precious few dice, and I wore him out with my wolves.

Eventually Krug wore out the Werewolf Lord, and I had no more presence in the south. But it didn't matter, because kldonnelly's army was pretty much wiped, except for Krug, who wandered around the map trying to hit things. I used wolves to try to pick off high value targets, like the AE after they finally dropped.

I ultimately won with the most points taken, though my army may have been the thinnest on the map by the time the game was called on time.

A word about Echinda's Garden: As I already wrote to AYP in his thread, I think this is the best 4-player free-for-all (as opposed to team) map on the boards right now.

2. Castle Forge

Clockwise from the 2:00 position:
DS ~ Wolves of Badru x3, Werewolf Lord
akden ~ Arrow Gruts x3, Krug, Mimring
Josh ~ Braxas, Greenscales x3
Stephen ~ Arrow Gruts x2, Krug, Vulcanmech Incendiborgs

Round 1 had featured 4 4-player maps, and G-O placed the winner of each one here. Unsurprisingly, the main weakness of my army - the low defense and high value of its squaddies - was badly exposed.

Akden opened with Mimring taking the high ground between us and putting a fireline through my start zone. I'd mitigated the potential for damage as best I could, but he still killed two or three wolves just like that, before my first OM. Josh rolled Braxas south, toward akden, and Stephen came after me. Unfortunately, he successfully picked off a couple of my wolves as they tried to get to Mimring, and the Werewolf Lord was taking too long to get anywhere helpful.

The game ended up being quite exciting, with an unwounded Krug putting 4 wounds on Braxas and ultimately killing her. Akden ran away with the point total. I somehow managed to eke out a third place finish on this 4-player map, despite being eliminated quite early, and that 1 point ended up making a huge difference in the final standings.

Also, perhaps the highlight of my whole tournament came during this game, when I got to use a lycanthropy marker to take a turn with Stephen's Krug. I'd never pulled that off before! He killed two of his allied Arrow Gruts, if you were curious.

3. Fight in the Shade

Clockwise from the 4:00 position:
DS ~ Wolves of Badru x3, Werewolf Lord
Famous Seamus ~ Krug (again), Cyprien, Sonya, Otonashi, Isamu
Juliana ~ Moltenclaw, Phantom Knights x3

Juliana took the high ground near the 12:00 position with Phantom Knights and Moltenclaw. Because she was staying so far away from me, it was hard for me to get at her. Mostly I focused on Famous Seamus, who split his forces against both of us. I opened up aggressively after Cyprien, using the Pounce ability even when I knew it would fail just to start to wear him out.

Juliana played very cautiously. Ultimately, I wore out Cyprien, and Krug killed the Werewolf Lord. Moltenclaw finished off Krug and a wolf or two with his special attack, as wolves eliminated Seamus's remaining lower-value heroes. Juliana still had a *lot* of muscle left on the board, so I ended the game by having wolves just keep pouncing on her units until the wolves were gone.

I edged out Seamus for the win on the board, with Juliana a distant third despite the fact that she had an unwounded Moltenclaw and many of her PK's remaining at the game's end.

The scoring on 4 player maps is 4/2/1/0, and on 3 player maps it's 4/2/0. I finished with 9 of a possible 12 points, good enough for third place.

Thanks to G-O for running it, and thanks to all those who brought maps, and also thanks to all those who showed up, because it was a fun time.

= =
Old October 7th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Re: DS' Battle Reports ~ New 2/9/19!

My poor thread.

Why would Photobucket ruin everything, and plaster its name across the devastation?

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports