Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 29th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Ninjaman1993 is surprisingly tart
Re: Expansion Content

I couldn't read the cards for the new planeswalkers very well on http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-0...ion-is-coming/. So I decided to write it all out for everyone's benefit

Ob Nixilis, Demon of Spite
Color:Black
Life:8
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 5
Defense: 4
Height: Medium 5
Cost: 355? (this is a guess from zooming in on the photo a bit)

Flying:
When counting movement spaces for Ob Nixilis, ignore elevations. Ob Nixilis may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Ob Nixilis starts to fly he will take any leaving engagement attacks.

At Any Price:
Destroy target squad creature adjecent to Ob Nixilis. Its controller draws a card. Use this abilitiy once per turn.

Kiora, The Rising Tide
Color: Gold (can summon green and blue)
Life:6
Move:6
Range:6
Attack:4
Defense:4
Height: Medium 5
Cost: 345? (Once again not sure)

Sea Born:
Kiora may move through water spaces without stopping movement, and she gets +2 defense while in water.

Carry by Waves:
At the start of Kiora's turn, move a creature you control up to 4 spaces.

Bident of Thassa:
Once per game, when Kiora ends her turn in a water space, you may reveal the top 3(?) cards of your library. Put a sorcery from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Let me know if I got anything wrong. Hope this helps!
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:28 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

This is great, and much appreciated. On the last power, does "Bident" have an MTG meaning, or might it be "Trident?" Or is Bident the two pronged pole weapon she appears to be carrying?

Does "Gold" signify these two colors specifically, or is it the "color" of any two color/multicolor PW?

I note that the Demon PW has no range, but can fly. So he's still got it over Gideon!
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Gold = multiple colors, yeah. And it's specifically the Bident of Thassa, the Goddess of the Sea from an earlier set. It's like Poseidon's trident only they made it different for no real reason - if it's two prongs it's not a knock-off! (It's also a card.)

Old August 29th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Bident is correct, since it is two pronged and not three. (ninjaed)

As for the gold category, its not gold. It's a green/blue planewalker that has gold used as it's trim to signify that it is multicolored. Legendary creatures back in the day used gold because they were usually multicolored. I think this is a throw back to that.
But it is most assuredly a green/blue planeswalker. Not only can it summon green and blue creatures, but build and cast spells from a spell deck using both colors.

The cost for Ob Nixilis is: 385 (I think, it's a bit smudgy when blown up on my phone)
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I'm glad to see a boxed expansion, it's a good indication that there will be a rules update included. We should get an explanation of the gold planeswalkers at least, but hopefully we will see some clarification or more in depth explaination of some of the more confusing mechanics.
Old August 30th, 2015, 12:33 AM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

Still lazy templating on Ob Nix's ability "At Any Price." What does "It" in "Its controller..." refer to? The intent, I'm sure, is that the controller of the destroyed creature draws, but this way of writing leaves open the interpretation that Ob Nix's controller draws.
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:48 AM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I'm glad to see a boxed expansion, it's a good indication that there will be a rules update included. We should get an explanation of the gold planeswalkers at least, but hopefully we will see some clarification or more in depth explaination of some of the more confusing mechanics.
"Gold" is the template used for any MTG card that has more than one type of colored mana in it's casting cost (which is usually referred to as a multicolored card). Because Kiora is both Blue and Green, she is considered gold. She is still considered both a green and a blue Planeswalker.

Gold is simply an aesthetic choice, signifying that a card is multicolor.
Old August 30th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Quote:
"Gold" is the template used for any MTG card that has more than one type of colored mana in it's casting cost (which is usually referred to as a multicolored card). Because Kiora is both Blue and Green, she is considered gold. She is still considered both a green and a blue Planeswalker.

Right but this isn't Magic so you can't apply rules from the card game. And there was no mention of multi colored planeswalkers in the rules so it should at least tell you how to deckbuild and draft squad.
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:28 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right but this isn't Magic so you can't apply rules from the card game. And there was no mention of multi colored planeswalkers in the rules so it should at least tell you how to deckbuild and draft squad.
I don't have the rule book in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure it mentions something about only being able to cast spells (or maybe just put them in your deck) that match the color of your planeswalker. I would assume that means as long as your deck is exactly 12 cards and is 200 points or less and has no spells outside of any one of your planeswalker's colors, it's legal.

As for armies, who knows. The base set armies all sit at 500 points without any variations. I wouldn't be surprised if all planeswalkers we see come with their own specialized armies.

I highly doubt WotC would reinvent the gold aesthetic templating for multicolor cards for AotP. They're not trying to market this game to us. They're trying to hook Magic players.

Last edited by aquamaniac27; September 1st, 2015 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Typed this on my iPad with autocorrect...
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, you can. Obvious comparison is obvious.
They dont have to mention multi colored planes walkers. Re read the rules. You can summon creatures and cast spells that match the color of your planeswalker. Kiora is green and blue. Gold signifies multicolor.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:43 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

I know nothing about the Magic story. While surfing the web for "Ob Nixilis" it is mentioned that he "gets his spark back". So a Magic character can loose and regain the ability to be a Planeswalker?

Interesting ... so maybe this new expansion will have a hero creature army card (and unpainted figure) that is also called Ob Nixilis.

Could someone into Magic please explain how this spark can be lost and regained?
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Ob Nixilis was originally a Planeswalker. He found a magical object known as the Chain Veil (currently in the possession of Liliana) and tried to use it, but it cursed him; ultimately, while looking for a solution, he ended up on Zendikar and his "spark" was lost. We don't yet know how he'll get it back.

A Planeswalker Spark in Magic is inborn - you have the potential from birth and, at some point, generally after something traumatic, it "ignites." Think of it like Mutants from the X-Men, only magical in nature. If you know anything about the X-Men.

The mechanics are super vague. We know that a spark can be lost (as Ob Nixilis), gained (as Karn), and given away (as Venser). How? No ones knows. Never explained it. It's Magic. And their writers aren't that great.

Ob Nixilis had two Creature versions in the card game, so it's possible they'd give him one now, though I'm not sure if they'd want to introduce that concept quite yet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion