Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Custom Creations

Notices

Old November 22nd, 2022, 05:18 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Missing Menagerie (ALL AoA Personal Customs by Anitar)

Seven faction-based units have designer's notes, but no official cards of any kind.
Seven flashes of inspiration have enlightened me as to what they might be able to do.
Seven cards... seems like a perfectly doable amount.

So, this is what I've got. Feedback is welcome, particularly pertaining to the point values... I haven't exactly put them through rigorous testing so far.

From the Clockwork Combine: Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt, daredevil, sharpshooter, and master of rapid (re)deployment. He can also ram you with his dirigible, and make Tuck Harrigan playable without the use of bears.

From the Dryan Lifeborne Order: Ewashia, Mistress of Tides, tentacle-riddled magus who uses water for offense and defense alike, and can extend that boost to her familiar.

Onshu the Welkineye, much-anticipated funky little friend whose magic eyes open up some strange and varied new tactical options.

Girushia, Grove Keeper, strikingly resilient thorn in your side who makes would-be assailants choose between slowing to a crawl or getting skewered.

And Vrono the Brambletoth, incarnation of pain and anguish sinking its sharp brambles into opponents and itself alike to pierce through the thickest of armors.

From the Nemesis War Brood, the Oathbound Phalanx and Oathbound Legionnaires, shock troops rapidly switching between formations whenever the situation demands in order to deliver either a series of scattered strikes or a single focused one.

Alternative project names: "Seven Stars Falling","Fill in the Blanks", "It Is Broke, So I'll Fix It!"

====================================

EDIT - Dec 3 - ...And here's a second batch! We didn't get as much info about the stretch goal Heroes, but a fair bit of what we've seen in SotM still carries over.

Evil Raelin: The Spear of Gerda, as ever, is enchanted to keep Raelin's allies safe. Of course, it has become a twisted, wicked thing just like its wielder; rather than bolstering defenses or blocking attacks, it now burns away at the vigor of those who dare to stand in her path.

Shiori: Years of training, years of war, and a worthy cause have refined Shiori's skills to a sublime level, combining the fine techniques of the ninja with the ambient magical energies of Valhalla to perform feats beyond the realm of any Earth-bound human.

Q11: A bleeding-edge new model, summoned by Vydar before his construction was complete and filled in with repaired material from fallen Soulborgs. This veritable one-man arsenal deals death with more weapons than anyone else can hope to wield, only to inexplicably rush forward and push a fellow combatant out of the way of incoming attacks-- even his own.

Sonlen: When you hear of "dragon veins", what do you think of? Paths of mystical energies coursing through the world? Stones said to transform or eject whatever ails you?
Or merely the lifeblood of a literal dragon Or merely the lifeblood of a literal dragon
? Whatever the case, this dragon's spellwork has come to weaponize them, bringing and forestalling death in equal measure while Sonlen-- as ever, unchanged by the years-- takes command.

Sgt. Drake Alexander: HEROES NEVER DIE!

====================================

Edit - Dec 19 - Seems I couldn't help myself. Have some more.

Jarkol the ice troll raises his hammer high as he charges into the thick of battle at the behest of his Dryan master. Revna's crawling hordes break before his might, each bug unfortunate enough to come within an arm's length being quickly reduced to a puddle. And yet amidst the chaos, one winged witch calmly saunters toward Jarkol, without an ounce of fear.

Just before he can crush her, however, the witch vanishes in a flash of white light. Suddenly, Jarkol's body spins around and drives his hammer through the ranks of his allies. He fights against this strange influence, striking down one more enemy before he's forced to deal a decisive blow to his own master.

The Dryan forces quickly break and flee, leaving Jarkol behind in a haze of fear and confusion until the witch reappears before his eyes.

"Oh, you poor fool," she croons. "No more friends, no more guidance, nobody you can trust to take you back. Allow me to solve your little... predicament."

As the witch vanishes once again, Jarkol finds his legs driving him inexorably forward, into a deep, deep ravine.

The witch, Misaerx, surveys the scene of the bloodbath she's created. The troll's bones made for a wonderful host while they lasted. Perhaps she doesn't have to be done with them just yet, she muses, adding more and more new pieces to her macabre ensemble.

Battered. Beaten. Broken. That's all Qhyrion was after the accident that nearly tore her wings off entirely, or so everyone claimed. With neither flight nor magic of her own, she was branded a pariah and coldly cast aside.

But Vydar knew better. He saw in Qhyrion something that his other subjects lacked, something of value, and personally gave her shelter. She couldn't figure out why; her eye for detail was so focused that it was good for little more than nitpicking, her aptitude for melee combat was useless against her airborne peers; and her quick wit seemed to never quite be quick enough.

Everything started making more sense when the war began, when troops were summoned from other worlds, when Vydar's court was filled with marvels of technology. Qhyrion took it upon herself to learn how the machines of Earth and Alpha Prime worked—through careful observation, in lieu of an official rank that would let her interrogate those in the know. Battle after battle, she watched the symphony of steel and electricity impose itself upon the world, and salvaged whatever scrap was left behind when the armies moved on.

Today, she stands a proud warrior of Anund. Clad in ablative armor of her own design, equipped with an electromagnetic force inductor installed in her spear, and most importantly of all, bearing a pair of devices unlike any she's seen elsewhere—bestowing much-needed structure and strength to her damaged wings. She's reclaimed all that she's lost and more, through her own merit and determination.

At long last, Qhyrion takes to the sky once again!

A paragon among heroes, the champion of champions, Xiamara has safeguarded the people of her native Haukeland since well before the onset of the war. Constantly updating her arsenal throughout the years, taking up new and powerful equipment forged by the mighty Volarak as befits the situation, she now bears the Periapt of Negation. With one swing of its attached chain, the Periapt locks itself onto the neck of the enemy, silencing whatever array of diverse abilities they may have brought to bear in battle. Only a command word spoken by Xiamara will unlock the chain, recalling it to her hand to be used again and again on new foes.

Watch. Wait. Reposition. Listen. Hide! Feel. Move closer. Draw your weapon. Wait. Wait... And strike! The rhythm of the hunt is a thing of beauty, one which Glinerva of the Moon Tribe plays like a true virtuoso. With the Mask of Quillivon, she spurs her allies onward into the perfect position, ready to pounce on the most unsuspecting of enemies. Glinerva herself joins them in their battle as well, armed for melee and ranged combat alike with a crescent-tipped polearm unknown to all but her own people.

Volarak's most advanced creation yet calls upon the power of a singularity—a black hole. Space warps until every direction leads straight toward the center of the disturbance, where Mielki, the Guardian of the East, holds her ground. Enemy shots clatter against her enchanted armor to little avail, no matter where they were aimed. So long as Mielki still has the strength to stand defiant against the relentless onslaught, she'll never let her allies come to any harm.

A tribesman trembles in the deep forest, all alone, in the dead of night. He reloads his gun, swiveling about to find where the enemy may have been hidden, only to be floored by a blow from behind. Collapsing to the ground, he looks up to see the face of a wild stag, bones piercing through its skin as its eyes drip rivulets of blood. The gruesome beast lowers its antlers and charges...

A water elemental is stranded. The desert sun is sweltering hot, and its beloved marshlands are nowhere to be seen. There's no shelter to take, no path to safety. Even the sands reject its attempt to sink into them. Its body starts to bubble, as it can do nothing but stand around and boil alive...

An elementar erodes away under the unrelenting sands of time...

A quasatch is trapped in a forest fire...

A dwarf is stuck in a cave-in. The mines collapsed all around him, and he barely has enough room to breathe, let alone move... But he refuses to be afraid. If this is his day to meet his maker, then so be it, but his spirit will not be so easily broken!

The illusory nightmare shatters around him. Corpses of friend and foe alike scatter the landscape, their faces locked in silent screams. Still standing before him is the accursed Kilkorax, looking over all the dead and dying and drinking deeply of their suffering.

"Still one left?" she asks, more curious than anything. "Trivial." Drawing all of the residual fear in the area into the tip of her spear, she drives it straight through the dwarf's heart. He perishes before he hits the ground, leaving Kilkorax all alone to bask in her vile handiwork.

Loviatäk is weary.

The attack came at the break of dawn, and hasn't let up since. Humans upon humans, marching in lockstep formation under yellow-and-purple banners, are squaring off with all the kyrie Minions her meager estate could muster—and she's the one expected to take command, to give orders that can somehow be heard over the din of battle.

"Come to us, o heroes," she mutters, reciting from her family's oath. "Come, and die."

But this is a battle of attrition that her forces can't hope to win. Humans are dying, sure, but nowhere near fast enough. Even if her Minions are as relentless as they're supposed to be, they'll succumb to exhaustion before the dust settles.

Loviatäk descends from her rooftop vantage point to join up with her forces. She holds her gleaming axe aloft as she calls upon its magic. "From steel and strength, to ash and blood... Dye these fields a single red. This is no battlefield... only a slaughterhouse."

Her half-hearted incantation gets the job done, and the Minions surge with a new vigor, throwing caution to the wind as they claim lives with brutal efficiency—heedless to the loss of their own lives in exchange. The humans, too, grow strong and reckless; and both sides are dying off quickly. Too quickly.

Loviatäk sighs, cursing her misfortune. As her forces dwindle, she's forced into the front lines herself. She wasn't prepared for this. She feels a stabbing pain, and lashes out toward its source, splitting a human soldier in two.

Just as her life seems to be forfeit, she hears a lion's roar resounding from over the hill. She's held out for long enough, and reinforcements have arrived. This time, she's going to live to die another day.

Loviatäk sighs, cursing her misfortune.

Last edited by Anitar; January 7th, 2023 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Vrono v1.1
Old November 22nd, 2022, 05:21 PM

TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Missing Seven (AoA Personal Customs by Anitar)

You're an absolute machine getting all these rules out this fast! Now I gotta look for proxies for these guys too!
Old November 22nd, 2022, 05:35 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

These all look really solid. I especially like your take on the Airship and the Oathbound alien guys. Probably because those units interest me more than the Dryan.
Old December 1st, 2022, 06:47 AM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any chance you plan to tackle the unrevealed 7 valkyrie and the SotM Heroes?
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:33 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Any chance you plan to tackle the unrevealed 7 valkyrie and the SotM Heroes?
Short answer: There would (unfortunately) be no value in me doing the kyrie. The SotM Heroes are a possibility; they just haven't been on my mind lately.

Somewhat longer answer: Here.
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:32 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

These cards look good! My brief thoughts on each:
Zed: 160 points seems like a lot for those stats. His special is good, but at three defense getting that close will be pretty risky.
Ewashia: Ebb and Flow + Concealing Mist might be broken on certain maps. I think most maps (specifically waterless maps) she'll be pretty underwhelming, which is fine. I would either drop her range or drop the range of Concealing Mist to if she's standing on a water space. Otherwise she'll be able to kit back and forth around water spaces, god forbid you have a river on your map.
Onshu: I like Onshu. Onshu is cute. The wording of Projection is ever-so-slightly murky (range OR sight vs location AND target point. If I choose to use just range, do I have to use his target point? Etc.)
Girushia: She needs to be 165 not 65. Tangled is essentially all the Nakita Agents' abilities in one, with an even higher chance for engagement strike to trigger. Regrowth is also way too good with the tree clause. A great many tournament maps have trees or bushes these days. That gives Girushia a 70% chance to heal at least one wound every turn, but also a 40% chance to heal three wounds?? That's crazy good. That's so good. With Familiar flexibility she can just sit there creating and invincible wall against Melee with tangled while the Wizards blast away, and once every other round take a turn to fully heal against any ranged attacks.
Vrono: Vrono is funny. I like Vrono too. The Tearing Thorns failsafe is pretty solid. Drag Along seems pretty wordy, might be nice to simplify.
Oathbound: Honestly pretty solid. Playtesting should fine-tune the total point value (hard to imagine drafting one without the other). 160 seems alright, the healing mechanics might not work out as well as you'd hope. This is picky but I don't love Break Apart as a name. I think something like "All for One" on the Legionnaires and "One for All" on the Phalanx might be cute. Or "Perpetual War" instead of Break Apart. Something that doesn't sound like an ability that a graham cracker also has.

Great work! Would love to see some playtesting results, hope this feedback was helpful in some way.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy266 View Post
Zed: 160 points seems like a lot for those stats. His special is good, but at three defense getting that close will be pretty risky.
The man is a daredevil whose signature maneuvers involve darting in and out of where the fighting is thickest at the exact right times. If the message his card sends to you is "he's got some good stuff, but making the most of it is going to be risky", I think that's exactly where it should be.

Quote:
Ewashia: Ebb and Flow + Concealing Mist might be broken on certain maps. I think most maps (specifically waterless maps) she'll be pretty underwhelming, which is fine. I would either drop her range or drop the range of Concealing Mist to if she's standing on a water space. Otherwise she'll be able to kit back and forth around water spaces, god forbid you have a river on your map.
SotM Drake can do the same, Grappling across rivers and taking ranged potshots. I wonder what differentiates his case from my Ewashia, besides his higher cost? Is it the fact that you can target him with Specials?

Quote:
Onshu: I like Onshu. Onshu is cute. The wording of Projection is ever-so-slightly murky (range OR sight vs location AND target point. If I choose to use just range, do I have to use his target point? Etc.)
Heroscape fosters murky wording.
The intention is that you have to use Onshu for both if you're using Projection, but it can still be used in situations where you're only counting range but not sight, or only checking sight but not range.

Quote:
Girushia: She needs to be 165 not 65. Tangled is essentially all the Nakita Agents' abilities in one, with an even higher chance for engagement strike to trigger. Regrowth is also way too good with the tree clause. A great many tournament maps have trees or bushes these days. That gives Girushia a 70% chance to heal at least one wound every turn, but also a 40% chance to heal three wounds?? That's crazy good. That's so good. With Familiar flexibility she can just sit there creating and invincible wall against Melee with tangled while the Wizards blast away, and once every other round take a turn to fully heal against any ranged attacks.
Girushia... You're right, there's a bunch of stuff I didn't think through, like Tangle's effect on melee Squads (who always risk instant death if they advance too fast), or that you can Regrow without burning through an entire OM on her.
I'm rewriting things now. Perhaps if a successful Tangle roll can either wound the figure or end its move, and only 1 wound can be inflicted per turn (so the other three Knights might not manage to pin down Girushia, but they're not going to all drop dead from advancing too fast). Perhaps if the +8 tree bonus only applies to the criteria for healing 1 wound, and you still need a natural 20 to heal 3. Like that.

Quote:
Vrono: Vrono is funny. I like Vrono too. The Tearing Thorns failsafe is pretty solid. Drag Along seems pretty wordy, might be nice to simplify.
It's like Carry, but with rules regarding engagement because you're probably dragging enemies around. I don't think I can get more concise without muddling or changing the meaning;but if you have a suggestion, I'll gladly consider it.

Quote:
Oathbound: Honestly pretty solid. Playtesting should fine-tune the total point value (hard to imagine drafting one without the other). 160 seems alright, the healing mechanics might not work out as well as you'd hope.
It's not supposed to be perfect. Receiving several wounds at once, or getting wounded when you already have 4 Legionnaires, is supposed to cause a permanent decrease in your bug populace. That way, even an enemy that can only make one attack per OM isn't necessarily going to have all their hard work undone as the formation reassembles.

Quote:
This is picky but I don't love Break Apart as a name. I think something like "All for One" on the Legionnaires and "One for All" on the Phalanx might be cute. Or "Perpetual War" instead of Break Apart. Something that doesn't sound like an ability that a graham cracker also has.
It's a power in which their formation is broken down by force-- from their perspective, a bad thing. I don't see an issue with "bad things" having less-than-pleasant descriptive names, like the Obsidians' "Water Weakness".

Quote:
Great work! Would love to see some playtesting results, hope this feedback was helpful in some way.
The feedback is appreciated. The playtesting... I wouldn't even know where to begin, which is a more respectable way of saying that I haven't done any of it.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 01:12 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If Zed is intended to be swingy, that's fine. High risk characters certainly make the game fun.

The big difference between SotM Drake and Ewashia is bonding. That will never not be the best ability. Drake is one man; Ewashia is all the Jedi. But yes, they would play very closely, so it seems like Ewashia should be a good 30-50 points higher.

Glad the feedback was helpful. When I begin to collect sculpts for AoA proxies, I will definitely put these on the table. You really help the Dryad faction fill out and make the Vorids playable.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 04:07 PM

Re: The Missing TWELVE (AoA Personal Customs by Anitar)

In light of ryguy making some solid points, I've made edits to Ewashia and Girushia.

Ewashia's cost is more in line with the other magi and her own capabilities, and the range of her Mist is shortened; if she dashes across a river but wants to remain concealed, you can at least jump in the water and attack her from there.

Girushia is as described above. No tree can boost her chance of getting a big heal, and a full Squad isn't going to be torn apart by her vines. Not all at once, anyway.

Spoiler Alert!

More importantly, though, the revamped SotM Heroes have now been added to the OP. Once again, feedback is welcomed.
Old December 4th, 2022, 09:03 PM

Some design notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Evil Raelin: The Spear of Gerda, as ever, is enchanted to keep Raelin's allies safe. Of course, it has become a twisted, wicked thing just like its wielder; rather than bolstering defenses or blocking attacks, it now burns away at the vigor of those who dare to stand in her path.

Raelin's original Defensive Auras could help her allies, but never herself. Evil Raelin, naturally, isn't going to be quite so selfless.

That the Defiled Defensive Aura applies its effect to enemies within range encourages a more aggressive playstyle, for a more aggressive person on a more aggressive team.

Quote:
Shiori: Years of training, years of war, and a worthy cause have refined Shiori's skills to a sublime level, combining the fine techniques of the ninja with the ambient magical energies of Valhalla to perform feats beyond the realm of any Earth-bound human.

At this point, she gets her old Concentrated Will boost at all times, so it's reflected directly in the stats.

Note the complete lack of a hit zone. That's right, all three images of her are mirages; if she can create two, why not three?

The base 8 Move (without Phantom Walk) is essentially her pushing her body beyond its natural limits, at the expense of everything else. It's also a way to make it so Mirage Step doesn't completely obsolete other forms of movement.

Quote:
Q11: A bleeding-edge new model, summoned by Vydar before his construction was complete and filled in with repaired material from fallen Soulborgs. This veritable one-man arsenal deals death with more weapons than anyone else can hope to wield, only to inexplicably rush forward and push a fellow combatant out of the way of incoming attacks-- even his own.

Not much of Q10 is left. He doesn't remember much about what Shiori is like, so even a vague resemblance might be enough to set him off.

Q11 most certainly can take leaving engagement attacks when he uses Flash of Mercy. He's not taking calculated actions with his own survival in mind, here.

The R1 A6 normal attack is the obvious hammer, the R4 A5 special attack is a rocket launcher, the R4 A3 special attack is an acid stream, the R7 A2 special attack is the obvious machine gun, and the R2 A1 special attack is concentrated beams of light emitted from his three eyes.

Quote:
Sonlen: When you hear of "dragon veins", what do you think of? Paths of mystical energies coursing through the world? Stones said to transform or eject whatever ails you? Or merely the lifeblood of a literal dragon? Whatever the case, this dragon's spellwork has come to weaponize them, bringing and forestalling death in equal measure while Sonlen-- as ever, unchanged by the years-- takes command.

Most of these Heroes are weighted down by the variety of abilities we've seen them use before, plus the new ones hinted by promotional material. This was my attempt to make a "simple" one, with only one detailed power plus a Flying keyword.

Dragon Vein is, in-universe, only an upgrade to the magic that the dragon uses for Healing. It can't exactly Swoop out from under Sonlen and instantly return anymore.

Why Stealth Flying specifically? The dragon never had to worry about engagements when its SotM self darted into enemy lines before; perhaps, I figure, that's a trait specific to this dragon.

Quote:
Sgt. Drake Alexander: HEROES NEVER DIE!
It would've been so easy to make the Drake that everyone expected, and nothing more. Thorian Speed, a reskinned Chain Grab, and Flying. But doing exactly what everyone expects is boring, so I added a little bit of extra spice. If anyone merits that treatment, it's him, right? He's supposed to be the protagonist; the least I can do is make that apparent in his skillset and point cost.

Grapple Chain, unlike Chain Grab, doesn't have a height limit because he can simply Fly up to wherever the target is perched. It can also move Drake himself, as a nod to the functionality of Grapple Gun/Arm and the logical outcome when one tries to play tug-of-war with an entire dragon.
Old December 5th, 2022, 07:41 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

YOU DID THE SOTM HEROES--GREAT!

I owe you some notes, so here are some first impressions.

Raelin Defiled Defensive Aura This is what I was going to give her at first. Terrific option for her; will be fun to try out.

Shiori Unseen Blades Wow; nasty! Unseen Blades Very thematic.

Q11 After I called him that too, it occurred to me that he's probably supposed to be Major Q11, so I added that. But I see you changed his left hand descriptor away from that.

Adaptive Arsenal Now this is a creative new take. I'm not sure what the point of the "each die" language on the Range 2 option is: since Special Attacks cannot be modified, you're always only rolling one die. You might as well list the Range 7 attack first, so that they are all in range order.

Flash of Mercy I'm surprised Q11 takes no damage himself. Especially since the lore has him being destroyed doing it. Good take on the idea.

Though I hate "Memory Loss" plots, as much as "Imaginary Stories," its certainly justified here. I note that like my own custom, you let him pick who he'll save. I toyed with the idea of saying "If Shiori is in play, she must be his Charge," but I dropped it.

Sonlen Dragon Vein "Paths of Mystical Energy Coursing Through the World." We'll have to have a discussion about Ley Lines and Feng Shui some time. Nicely done. Interestingly, my own old custom Adele The Pain Giver had a similar ability as an Evil Reverse Healer. She was an extra Kelda figure, one of my favorite Classics, that I picked up at a game con (the seller didn't even know who she was) and repainted in red and gold.

Drake

Grapple Chain I have difficulty with the physics of his moving next to a Small or medium figure (as also in my own 'Grapple Grab'). While you've done more thinking about his Flying ability, and I may cancel the level requirements as you suggested on my custom, I think it would be difficult to combine Grapple Chain with Flying, and conceive of him being limited to one of them at a time for moving himself by rather than another by grappling while flying at the same time. I may copy your language for leaving attacks; my text is too long.

Undying Hero So this works only against super unusual powers only like Cyprien's Chilling Touch? (Which I now notice does not say "Special Attack"). I'd love to see a list of others that can't be used against him. Maybe someone will list them in a Book of Index. Braxas' Poisonous Acid Breath. Grimnak's Chomp. Maybe there are more of these than I realize.

I take it that the idea is that he can't be suddenly eliminated by a Deus Ex Machina power, he only goes down after a struggle! The Captain America of Heroscape. This may work. (At least he doesn't return like Thanos--I hate that guy. Or anyone else that comes back at full strength).

Checking the point values and costs for the 5 Heroes, we're certainly in the same design universe. I hadn't seen these when I made mine, although in your comments on mine you made a few unspecific references to things you were doing for these.

It occurs to me that these will be easy to proxy--just use the old versions! Only 41 more cards to proxy now. But I'll have to decide which to playtest first; yours or mine.

Last edited by chas; December 5th, 2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 5th, 2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I owe you some notes, so here are some first impressions.
And I thank you for that.

Quote:
Q11 After I called him that too, it occurred to me that he's probably supposed to be Major Q11, so I added that. But I see you changed his left hand descriptor away from that.
Per the designer's notes, he didn't come online until after a piece of Q10 was integrated; logically, he couldn't possibly have served in Alpha Prime's military as a Major.

Quote:
Adaptive Arsenal Now this is a creative new take. I'm not sure what the point of the "each die" language on the Range 2 option is: since Special Attacks cannot be modified, you're always only rolling one die.
It's like how VC uses the same terribly flawed wording for Charging Assault that the canon does. If I didn't phrase it the same as Deadly Shot, that could be interpreted as meaning it works differently than Deadly Shot.

Quote:
You might as well list the Range 7 attack first, so that they are all in range order.
They're all in Attack order. Highest to lowest.

Quote:
Flash of Mercy I'm surprised Q11 takes no damage himself. Especially since the lore has him being destroyed doing it. Good take on the idea.
It would've been a mess and a half to have him take the damage for them. What happens if he switches into Grimnak's Chomp, which can't legally target him? What happens if he switches into an attack from Denrick, who should've rolled more dice against him, when the switching occurs after the attack rolls? That kind of thing. Think of it like he's just shoving the other figure out of the way, rather than intercepting the hit.

Quote:
Sonlen Dragon Vein "Paths of Mystical Energy Coursing Through the World." We'll have to have a discussion about Ley Lines and Feng Shui some time. Nicely done.
...Actually, I only found out about that kind of "dragon veins" because of video games. I'm not quite that well-read.

Quote:
Drake

Grapple Chain I have difficulty with the physics of his moving next to a Small or medium figure (as also in my own 'Grapple Grab').
If he's in the air and not firing his jetpack away from the target, he has no leverage at all. Alternatively, maybe the grapnel caught on some solid ground next to the target.

Quote:
I may copy your language for leaving attacks; my text is too long.
Go for it.

Quote:
Undying Hero So this works only against super unusual powers only like Cyprien's Chilling Touch? (Which I now notice does not say "Special Attack"). I'd love to see a list of others that can't be used against him. Maybe someone will list them in a Book of Index. Braxas' Poisonous Acid Breath. Grimnak's Chomp. Maybe there are more of these than I realize.

I take it that the idea is that he can't be suddenly eliminated by a Deus Ex Machina power, he only goes down after a struggle!
There are a lot of them. Among the "revealed" AoA content alone, there's Xenithrax Vines, Parasite, Stomp 8, Blast Furnace 15... and falling damage.

Quote:
Checking the point values and costs for the 5 Heroes, we're certainly in the same design universe. I hadn't seen these when I made mine, although in your comments on mine you made a few unspecific references to things you were doing for these.
Yeah, I was still working on mine when yours went up, and posted them later in the same day.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Custom Creations