Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old June 3rd, 2020, 10:40 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] PYRIA (Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer) - Playtesting

Now, for the promised design feedback. I think this design could use a little dose of restraint. Here are my thoughts:

4-dice fire line special attacks have thus far been reserved for Dragons and other Large+ units
The only other non-dragon large units I know of with an attack of 4 are the Incendiborgs, and their fire line only goes out 2 spaces
Rhogar Dragonspine's fire breath goes out to 3 spaces... but he has 3 attack

I suggest reining in the design a little with either 4 attack and 2 spaces or (my personal strong preference) 3 attack and 3 spaces. You may need to bring the price down (maybe not) but I think it will make for a better design overall, and probably more likely to pass the VC sniff-test if we end up going that route.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:18 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Now, for the promised design feedback. I think this design could use a little dose of restraint. Here are my thoughts:

4-dice fire line special attacks have thus far been reserved for Dragons and other Large+ units
The only other non-dragon large units I know of with an attack of 4 are the Incendiborgs, and their fire line only goes out 2 spaces
Rhogar Dragonspine's fire breath goes out to 3 spaces... but he has 3 attack

I suggest reining in the design a little with either 4 attack and 2 spaces or (my personal strong preference) 3 attack and 3 spaces. You may need to bring the price down (maybe not) but I think it will make for a better design overall, and probably more likely to pass the VC sniff-test if we end up going that route.
Thanks for the detailed feedback! Only just getting back to ya now, but been thinking about this and wanted to provide my rationale for the design as it currently stands. I supported 4 attack from the perspective of the unit's function moreso than it's relation to previous fire lines. It makes sense to me that Pyria's flamethrower would be stronger than Rhogar's, because she's a spellcaster and he's a paladin. This reflects both in theme and mechanics, as Rhogar has much better survivability and a healing power to make his turns and board position more valuable. My fear with 3 attack is that it would cause the design to not be worth an OM in many cases, and I don't mind putting a splashy fun SA on a small/medium figure particularly in a master set.

Thaaaat said, I've been a mix of busy/slacking here and haven't gotten hands on with this design. I'll put her through her paces some and keep your points in mind while I do. I may also consider suggesting other tweaks (maybe 5 L or 5-6 range) to reign her in in other ways.
Old June 9th, 2020, 04:39 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

To put it differently, the 4-attack, 3-space version feels like it lacks too much restraint.

If the 3-attack, 3-space version is weaker than 120 points then that is a cool thing IMO--there's nothing like her at, say, 90 points.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 9th, 2020, 08:25 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

3A, 3R sounds fine to me. We need to be careful about low 100s figures in he set anyway.
Old June 9th, 2020, 11:46 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

3A sounds meh. But its not my pod to say what she should be able to do.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:38 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I would be happy with 3A, but only if they are two separate attacks.

Long live heroscape
Old June 10th, 2020, 09:22 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@The Long eared bat , @Pumpkin_King , @capsocrates , @All Your Pie
How about:
Quote:
TWIN FLAMETHROWERS SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 3.
Choose a straight lines from Pyria 3 spaces long. All figures on those spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Pyria’s Twin Flamethrower Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. When Pyria attacks with her Twin Flamethrowers Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.
Although attack goes down one, I think new advantages of splitting attacks outweigh this, because
  1. If she whiffs one attack she has a second
  2. She can go over the same line.
Old June 10th, 2020, 09:35 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm perfectly fine with a drop to 3 attack on the special. (I'm much less excited about making it two attacks.) But then, I don't agree with caps in the first place. I think the unit is fine as a powerhouse, it is also fine as a lower-cost 3-attack version. Which version is more fitting for the set is more of a question of rest of the master set.
Old June 10th, 2020, 12:30 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree with Scytale. Pyria could work just fine with 4 attack or with 3 attack and a reduced price. Which one fits the best is more of a question of the set as a whole. Right now, we don't have many sub-100 point options, but there are still plenty of units left that haven't been designed yet.
Old June 10th, 2020, 12:59 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Right now, Sorin and Kiora are lookinh like they’ll be sub 100. Won’t be surprised if Nahiri joins them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 10th, 2020, 03:38 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Could we put a hold on discussion of the two options until we have a better sense of the rest of the set? I think that the difference between 4A/4R and 3A/3R is small enough that we can have a good sense of the unit until we zero in on costs across the set.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Could we put a hold on discussion of the two options until we have a better sense of the rest of the set? I think that the difference between 4A/4R and 3A/3R is small enough that we can have a good sense of the unit until we zero in on costs across the set.
I'm not sure I agree. I suspect the unit may play differently with a weaker special. Right now the potency of the special is too good to pass up. With a weaker special she may be more willing to sit back and rely on her normal attack. Though 3A may not be where that line gets crossed.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs