Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM

mistercharlie is surprisingly tart
Base set and Zendikar on sale today

The base set for AotP is only $13 on Amazon today, and the Zedikar expansion is only $14.

Base Set:
https://smile.amazon.com/Magic-Gathe...+planeswalkers

Battle For Zendikar:
https://smile.amazon.com/Gathering-P...+planeswalkers
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:05 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Base set and Zendikar on sale today

Folks, give me some advice!

I've never bought, never played, never even seen a physical copy of AotP.

But given these sales prices, I'm thinking that if I ever want to take the plunge, it should be now.

The problem: I don't at the moment, and won't for the foreseeable future, have time to actually open the boxes and play them when they arrive to see whether I even like the game.

So I want to assume I'll love it, and just buy, right now, as many boxes of it all as I could ever want.

Which is to ask: how many boxes of it (I guess there is one MS and two expansions) COULD I ever neeed/want? Does having multiples of a set open up play options? Or is it totally pointless to go beyond one of each?

(I should add: I have all the Heroscape terrain I could ever need.)

Thanks in advance.
Old November 20th, 2016, 09:57 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Folks, give me some advice!

I've never bought, never played, never even seen a physical copy of AotP.

But given these sales prices, I'm thinking that if I ever want to take the plunge, it should be now.

The problem: I don't at the moment, and won't for the foreseeable future, have time to actually open the boxes and play them when they arrive to see whether I even like the game.

So I want to assume I'll love it, and just buy, right now, as many boxes of it all as I could ever want.

Which is to ask: how many boxes of it (I guess there is one MS and two expansions) COULD I ever neeed/want? Does having multiples of a set open up play options? Or is it totally pointless to go beyond one of each?

(I should add: I have all the Heroscape terrain I could ever need.)

Thanks in advance.
Everything they have released (2 MS + 1 Exp) includes only Unique figures. So from a playability stand-point, you won't need multiple squads (sets) unless you have a larger group.

Same goes for Spell cards. With a larger group, and each player being able to customize their spell deck, it might be good to have multiple sets so that some basic spells can be in multiple decks {but recent official rules clarified that you can only have 1 copy of a spell in a deck}. The latest MS, Innistrad, introduced dual-colored planeswalkers so I can see the need for an extra set of spell cards so that players can mix/match with dual-colored planeswalkers but you can also 'draft' a spell deck from a single set.

Is the game fun? Yeah - it is pretty fun. It is certainly a different game than Heroscape but it can be a nice change up from Classic 'Scape.

At a minimum, the 1st Master Set at $13 is going to get you 5 pre-painted figures. That's pretty good if you want to have some ready-to-go customs to make. The Expansion at $8 has 2 pre-painted figures. That's tempting just for the demon looking figure that would make a nice custom for Utgar.

Most of the figures are not painted but if you like to paint or want to commission someone to paint them - they are nicely scaled for Heroscape customs.

For you, as a legendary map-maker, I would keep an eye out for the latest MS to go on sale (Innistrad) and buy 2 sets just for the Cryptolith terrain : ) But I haven't seen them on sale since their release.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:24 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Agree with above, only reason to get more than one of a set is if you play with more than 2 players in a game, or if you have people who really love the deck building aspect (I.e. someone who is really into Magic CCG) and wants to have prebuilt decks set aside for each planeswalker including dual-colored.

I'd get 2 of the base set and 1 or 2 of zendikar and 1 or 2 SoI right now, with the first two sets being so cheap on Amazon, but SoI being the best set, IMHO, both for cryptoliths and for variety of armies and decks.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:40 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

@obfuscatedhippo , @lefton4ya , thanks for the guidance, gents! -- much appreciated.

I'll get two each of the base set and Zendikar now. And perhaps wait to see whether the price of SoI drops a few bucks before picking up two copies of it. Yum.
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:15 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
@obfuscatedhippo , @lefton4ya , thanks for the guidance, gents! -- much appreciated.

I'll get two each of the base set and Zendikar now. And perhaps wait to see whether the price of SoI drops a few bucks before picking up two copies of it. Yum.
Good call. At that price I'm tempted to pick up another Zendikar just for the extra spells.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Also easier for having pre-made armies. I would like to have two of everything so I can have quite a few different builds ready to go.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 21st, 2016, 01:49 PM

TechToaster Woo who?

I know this is an old and dead topic, but with SoI being on sale for $9 right now on Amazon, as well as Zendikar being $4, you should really consider grabbing your two copies of SoI now.

You won't regret it for $9 each, trust me. Even if you prefer Heroscape, SoI gives you alot of stuff to add to your Scape experience.
Old December 21st, 2016, 08:24 PM

mistercharlie is surprisingly tart

I've grabbed three of the $9 SoI's.

Now the wife and I can each paint them the way we want them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion