Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old December 31st, 2016, 03:49 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

I am curious and I couldn't find anything definitive with a variety of search terms so here goes:

Was there a method for how the Marro heroes are named?
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:30 PM

NinjaFossil is surprisingly tart

As a fan of miniature games (and Heroscape newb, as my signature states,), what tips would you give someone who's trying to make their own miniature game?

PS If I make my game, I want Heroscapers to be able to use it. What's the standard mm size of the minis?

PPS How do I sign up to beta-test your new games?

If I say the wrong thing, It's because I'm a newb who thinks this is cool and wants in while only having the AotP base set
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I'd like to hear a little about Battleship Galaxies. How much was planned, what was the reason it didn't survive, do you truly feel the two fleets were balanced in the base game?
Tai-Pan,
This game system not launched properly. We had 3 years of expansions planned. 8 factions.

If the expansions came out it would of made the game a much more balanced.

IMO, It didn't survive because we didn't launch with expansions and there are other reasons that I can't really talk about.
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
This is a silly question, but its one that I've debated with a few people. When you pronounce the name "Krug", do you have a short u sound like bug or a long u sound like dude? Btw, there is an excellent French champagne called Krug which uses the long u sound.
Krug like bug
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius23__14 View Post
Wait if it's possible to purchase the rights to Heroscape could we Crowd fund this? that way Craig or a public entity could own the rights and then any previous sets could legally be released for 3D printing, as well as reprinting, and continuation of lines? Then any sculptors who wish to produce further expansions could, instead of stealing miniatures from other games. I guess that would be my question to Craig, can something like this be worked out?
darius23,
We would need a plan and funding. Hopefully, when my brother and I get Soaring Rhino going we can work on both.

Hasbro can always say no, but if the plan makes Hasbro a percentage with little effort or risk on there part then maybe we have a chance.
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy-scaper View Post
Hi Craig,
Firstly - thanks for the great and enduring game that Heroscape is! I look forward to seeing your next gaming endeavours... My questions are about licensing; I see the original fluff of Heroscape as being perfect for pulling any license into the universe. As a big He-Man fan (check out my Castle Grayskull in the custom terrain forum) I imagined MotU, as well as other 80's franchises (Transformers, Predator, Thundercats, Judge Dredd etc) as having great potential.

How much control do you have re design when working with licensed products? For example, were the Marvel designs (sculpts/powers etc) your HS version of the characters, or Marvel's version of their characters in your universe?
When you work with a license it can work in different ways depending on the license. With Marvel we had pose drawings created, and Marvel approved them. You create the game and then you usually play it with someone who approves licensed product. Chris Nelson, the designer on Marvel, did a great job on this license.
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Hi Craig, thanks for your involvement in so many awesome games! I doubt you remember me, but I asked you to sign my Heroscape themed Chedwick and Sven Comic t-shirt at Gencon a few years ago. You did, and the ink is still visible (don't worry, it's been washed several times).

I had one question, one of the games that you worked on was tragically cut short of reaching its full potential, and that game was Battleship Galaxies. I really loved that game. It really needed some more expansions but we never got them. Did you guys actually get around to designing some more stuff and are you able to share any of that information?

Heroscape was cut off and that was a huge shame, but at least we have plenty enough to keep going. I couldn't feel that way about Battleship Galaxies.

I hope someday your new business can make a space battle game at some point. The ones that are around are way too complicated and require either modeling or measuring, which I personally don't like. I would love a space game similar in level to Heroscape or Battleship Galacies. I hope that dream can come true some day.

In the meantime, thanks for taking the time to answer questions! And thanks in advance for your answers!
I just answered this question about Galaxies expansions. See above.
A new space battle game system could be fun. I'll put it on my idea board.
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@Craig Van Ness First of all thanks for all your fun work on Heroscape and other games and for joining this site and answering questions now that 1/2 your NDA agreement is null.

I wanted to ask you since it has been 10 years if you can let the cat out of the bag:
Who was responsible for "Hot Lava Death" going on the Volcarren Wasteland box lid tab and how long did it take for Hasbo to find out?

I know it must have made someone at the company mad enough that they ordered it to be covered it up with a sticker at the factory. AFAIK, in a BoardGameSpeak 2004-12-07 Podcast (cannot find a download for it now) someone yelled "hot lava death" and I guess it became a running joke among the Heroscape creators, but who decided to put it on the box and did the actual graphic design for it? I don't know if either your exiting NDA or just whoever did it's pride prevents you from telling, but was hoping you can let us all in on the joke.
I think this is a question for Rob...
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
Thanks for all your work on the creation of such an awesome game.

As for a question:
Do you have a go to unit or army type you used in games?
I usually like to field ROTV Raelin, but I like to mix it up quite a bit.
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:21 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I'd like to hear a little about Battleship Galaxies. How much was planned, what was the reason it didn't survive, do you truly feel the two fleets were balanced in the base game?
Tai-Pan,
This game system not launched properly. We had 3 years of expansions planned. 8 factions.

If the expansions came out it would of made the game a much more balanced.

IMO, It didn't survive because we didn't launch with expansions and there are other reasons that I can't really talk about.
Awe man don't tease us like that. I love that game. 8 factions?! That would have been amazing. There is a severe lack of space combat games with hex maps and simplified rules. Battleship Galaxies was so perfect for that. I really hope you guys seriously consider delving into that genre for one of your future games. I would buy all the stuff. Thanks for the answer!
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
When do you consider a game successful?

Just curious. I know you must consider 'scape to be successful...but why?
Look at this site. Heroscape was and is successful. It depends how you define success. As a coach of many sports for my kids, I like John Wooden's (famous basketball coach) definition.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

While at Hasbro, I made every game I worked on the best that I could with the time I was given. And I had lots of help from many talented people!
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Are you interested in playing in a round of Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa?
What is Curse of Negoksa?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion