Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of the Protectors of Ullar

Tiberius knows, shades + zombies devour them. Although having their best ability good against their weakness (Combined Arbalest is awesome v.s dragons, especially Braxas.

Also, why is it called Combined Arbalest? Shouldn't it be called Arbarest? lol
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry about the thread necro here, BUT, I have a question: how many units of Protectors should be taken at one time? With their high cost (in game and on eBay) and their rather specialized special attack I cannot see myself taking more than 2 units at a time.

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

As with almost every common (except screens such as rats, nagrubs, greenscales, roman soldiers & sacred band as a screen), 3 is the recommended minimum, but I once overheard Matttser (2* gencon champion) say a he only plays a minimum of 5 * 3-men squads and 4 * 3-men squads. I say 4 squads of protectors is the sweet spot, but that means I would only play them in high point games (530 points minimum to take Raelin or Atlaga as support, but even higher point games allow more heroes). Of course that is for pre-builts army tournaments. In home games or drafting, there are cases where 2 or 3 squads are fine. Also, you can always proxy, so buying one or two squads, and subbing in something else in the start zone and replacing units as they die is acceptable to do in my house and you can always even just print their card and play whoever if you don't want to pay a lot of money.
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Okay, thanks. I will just have to slowly build up a good sized collection of them, as they are $20 each on eBay, which means 4 units would run me $80. Erg.

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

Old March 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

When just playing for fun, 3x is good for most common squads while 2x is enough for any high priced squads. For real cheap squads (point wise), 4x can be okay. If you are really worried about your 2x protectors not lasting long enough, play smaller point total armies when you use them and your opponent will be working with a smaller number of units too.
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Needs Reassurance

The standard point limit that me and my gaming buddies use is 400-500. So, 2x Protectors should be sufficient for my purposes, which works great for me as I have access to 2 squads (one I own, one that a friend owns).

Thanks for the tips!

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Protectors drive me a bit nuts because 2x never seems like enough and 3x seems like too big a chunk of the army point budget. Look at it this way, at 2x they're ranged support for the meat of the army. At 3x they're the army and need to be supported.

~Aldin, figuring that's true for 500-600 point armies (and wondering if anyone else remembers when 400 point armies was the gold standard)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Jungle Acolyte is surprisingly tart

Because we have a lot of neophyte 'Scapers that pass through my house, we keep a list of ready-made armies that people can just grab. One of my personal favorites is

3 x [your favorite kyrie squad, except EI]
Atlaga
Raelin (RotV)

It comes to a nice round 500 points. I have to say, though, that the Minions seem to be more evil in this build than the Protectors.

(Come to think of it, 2 x EI + Raelin + Atlaga/Kiova + Marro Warriors might not be terrible. I dunno, I'm still pretty new at this.)
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Acolyte View Post
Because we have a lot of neophyte 'Scapers that pass through my house, we keep a list of ready-made armies that people can just grab. One of my personal favorites is

3 x [your favorite kyrie squad, except EI]
Atlaga
Raelin (RotV)

It comes to a nice round 500 points. I have to say, though, that the Minions seem to be more evil in this build than the Protectors.

(Come to think of it, 2 x EI + Raelin + Atlaga/Kiova + Marro Warriors might not be terrible. I dunno, I'm still pretty new at this.)
Our games are played tournament style now with 500 points being my groups sweet spot and having a time limit of one hour each game (we usually play 3 games). With that in mind, usually 2x any kyrie squad is as much as anyone wants to invest. One army I am particularly fond of:
Atlaga
2x Protectors
Zelrig
Total=495 points

Sure, I am giving up 5 points but I love this army. I believe I have won around 90% of the games I have used this army. Which is probably why I haven't played it in awhile...broadening my horizons, I guess.

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourshadow View Post
Our games are played tournament style now with 500 points being my groups sweet spot and having a time limit of one hour each game (we usually play 3 games). With that in mind, usually 2x any kyrie squad is as much as anyone wants to invest. One army I am particularly fond of:
Atlaga
2x Protectors
Zelrig
Total=495 points

Sure, I am giving up 5 points but I love this army. I believe I have won around 90% of the games I have used this army. Which is probably why I haven't played it in awhile...broadening my horizons, I guess.
You have a little something for the heroes and squads there, I like it.

I've found the Protectors to be overpowered on some maps. With range and flying you can potentially run and gun forever, and meele figures won't be able to engage you.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:21 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
I've got a question, which I think I know the answer to, but wanted to check. With Combined Arbalest, does it work when wounds have been received in cases where Stealth Armor, Cell Divide, and Sacred Band Death Defy spare the life of the figure? The card for Protectors of Ullar states "for every wound that has been inflicted". The cards for Microcorp Agents, Marro Dividers, and Parmenio state "when... receives one or more wounds". So there seems to be a difference between receiving a wound and the wound actually being inflicted.

My answer is that the wound is received, but not inflicted and therefore does not add to the Combined Arbalest power. Is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
If a wound is cancelled then it has NOT been inflicted.

~Aldin, taking off the bandaid
Can we get this clarification included in the OP? This question came up in a recent game of mine.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:45 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Protectors of Ullar

Done.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units