Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Notices

Old March 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Confred's MtG Customs

Easily the most common thing I do in my free time is create Magic cards.
Lately I've been making an expansion for my friend's birthday. The loose theme is modular. He doesn't like black, so there is little tie in to that color.

As of March 25, There are 203 cards in the set and too many Uncommons.
I'm in the tuning stage, but I want variety so I'm not sure I want to go as low as 155 cards.

The first 6 cards will be the Warbound cycle. One for each color and then a multicolor. For this set, they are uncommon, but they would probably be rare in another. They have strong pull and will probably dictate your sealed deck color choice.

Warbound Glider

So essentially a 4/4 flier for 2UUU

Warbound Lancer

3/3 hasty for RRR. The cheapest Warbound and thus arguably the best.

Warbound Sentinel

5/5 vigilant for 2WWW. A bit controversial, since big white is not used often.

Warbound Goliath

6/6 trampler for 3GGG. Big enough in his own right, he can also bind with another to get an additional +1/+1 and ability.

Warbound Colossus

9/9 for 2WUBRG. The granddaddy, big boy and Mythic Rare because of the difficulty of mana requirement. 6/6 for 7 isn't terrible if you cannot get the colors. As an added bonus, he binds with another for an additional +1/+1 and ability.

Warbound Lasher

4/1 for 1BBB. The last added to the group and originally left off to isolate black, this warbound doesn't make the choice to go black so easy, but also like black, opens the door to trickiness.
Edit: Nerfed from +2/-2 (+3/-1) to +1/-2 (+2/-1). The enhancement was just too great and I found myself choosing to use its power over all the other uncommon Warbound, whereas before it depended on the situation.

Note: Having multiple of the same Warbounds trigger multiple +1/+1 counters.

Names and creature types of all cards, revealed and unrevealed are placeholder until better choices are found.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.

Last edited by Confred; April 1st, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Confred's MtG Customs

The set's mana producers to help bill the Warbounds.

Worm Stone

When it's used up, pitch it
or maybe you want to keep it for study ...

Capitol Museum

Forest Ring Reliquary

Clan Hold

The set of dual lands. Each share with his favorite, white, and exclude black.

Tropical Keeper

A solid body that just happens to tap for three of any one color.

Spoiler Alert!

Bonus:
Verdant Forrester

He adds Forests to the battlefield, which the Florist can use to fix mana.
Taxworker Enforcer

He slows everybody down, but giving you the slight advantage. A hidden treat is that he also increases artifacts to be better Warbound.

Last edited by Confred; March 25th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Changes:

Reducing the mana versatility reduces his power level and sits him comfortably at Uncommon.

Added more flexibility to his ability while keeping it functionally the same. The change made him decisively not uncommon. I needed less uncommons so common he has gone. Since having multiple of these on the battlefield doesn't affect the ability, I wondered if having it at common would be too ineffective and cloggy. The Solution! Make it an artifact Gnome. This will boost the Brunorn and others that care about artifacts. Plus colored artifacts look cool. And I can get rid of the Llanowar name.

Last edited by Confred; March 25th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Wow there's a lot here. Some of it should be rebalanced, but if it's just for fun, have a blast.

P.S. The thing that produces 3 mana of any color just for a tap is WAY underpriced.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Wow there's a lot here. Some of it should be rebalanced, but if it's just for fun, have a blast.

P.S. The thing that produces 3 mana of any color just for a tap is WAY underpriced.
Balancing and trimming from the cohesive whole is in part the reason for this thread. I think what you mean by "rebalancing" is to 'continue the process of balancing.' However, to me it's more than "just for fun." By the end of this journey, I want every card to be printable tomorrow.
I'm not convinced Tropical Keeper is underpriced. Thran Dynamo with a body doesn't raise an eyebrow for me. I doubt it should be uncommon either. But thanks for specifics, I'll keep an eye on it.

Dende's Ring

Generic mana producer.
Spoiler Alert!

Lousra's Factory

Continuing the controversial theme: Artifact lands. They were a big hit back in the day and now there aren't as many routes for abuse so it might be time for their return. This one turns into a creature to snatch up modulars and gives them as needed.

Bonus:
Grand Design

Inspired by a card in a different card game: Ascension, the Grand Design is a classic expensive card that ties many things together. Instants have never had modular before so hopefully nothing breaks.

Spoiler Alert!

Next: Modular.

Last edited by Confred; March 27th, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Arcbound Servitor

Counters modulate to Servitors, which graft them to others.

Arcbound Scyther

+1/+1 counters theme lead to scaling abilities.

Arcbound Fortress

Originally intended to be a bank for +1/+1 counters. It can be double Warbound and is quite formidable in its own right.

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Arcbound Thug

Continuing with the scaling theme, Absorb also brings in indestructible themes to the set.

Crafted Emergence

Green enhances and fortifies and keeps things going.

Encouraging Defeat

White punishes being attacked. This combat trick knocks out an attacker and fortifies the defenders, should they have modular then all the better.

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Pondering Phylarcy Familiar after its removal lead to three cards up for testing:

Mechanical Drudge

The Familiar could tie into the set by having something that lasts once it receives its +1/+1 counters. This Mechanical Drudge adds a price to what is essentially regeneration and drops the extras.

Spoiler Alert!

Arcbound Channeler

Continuing from the thoughts of Arcbound Phylarcy being too close to Dende's Ring, I combined it with another card that was on the fence. It tapped for 1 mana to anybody and burned them if they didn't spent it.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Confred; March 31st, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM

With Arcbound Channeler being one of two colored Arcbound, I thought of simple versions of other colors.

Spoiler Alert!

Arcbound Ape

More combat tricks for green

Last edited by Confred; March 28th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM

Badger Ranger

Green down your throat. If you don't block, then you're the worse for next time. If you block, I'm better for next time.

Thornbound Cloak

This aura will not only add counters to things that didn't have modular to gain the benefits of the likes of Badger Ranger, but it will allow a modular creature to split up its +1/+1 counters between two creatures - even ones that aren't artifacts.

Nutclamp

Reworked homage to Skullclamp and a crafty little card. It triggers from being blocked. So don't block it? Unblockable sounds good to me. But you can block it. If you do, it gets bigger. If it kills your guy then good. If it doesn't, then it gets bigger and banks for next time. If there isn't a next time, it modulates away with impunity and you get to draw off it.

Speaking of next times...
Blink From Beyond

Speaking of trickery, perhaps this one was over thought but this is a take on a white card. You sacrifice a creature, sending out its modulations, and then you return it to battlefield. Free counters.

Unstable Modulation

There isn't much love in red and at common, this is mostly it. It's like the red Giant Growth but also for some serious modulation. The sacrifice happens at the end of turn to avoid shenanigans.

Bonus: Ambassador Replicant

This is one of those beautiful cards that required just a little tweak to make them shine. In this case, I changed it to an artifact creature to snag those modulars.

Last edited by Confred; March 28th, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Problem: You need to get rid of a creature, but it has modular and killing it doesn't really help you.
Solution: Don't send the creature to the graveyard.

Stall Tactics

Temporarily removes a creature, denies them a draw, and gives you one - Tempo shift

Coil Narl

If you block him, you're going to be wasting mana and built up modulars. If you don't, you're getting smacked.

Fungal Clasm

Save your creatures for some combat trickery. To be extra tricky, regenerate their Arcbounds so they don't die and thusly don't modulate.
Master Treecoy

Regen on a stick. Deny their Arcbound chumps from dieing and modulating or save your own so you guarantee an artifact for your counters to stick to.

Field of Serenity

Can work as a counter spell. Can temporarily deny an equipment. Can deny modulation.

Uthan Stonegazer

...Or you can just repeatedly kill them. Deathtouch guarantees that the super modulated die, and regeneration guarantees its successor should have a similar fate.

Old March 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Arcbound Gnomeling

Essentially a sorcery for 2 that says "Put a +1/+1 counter onto target artifact creature. Gain 1 life.". He accepts modulars and easily offs himself to transfer them to another. The lifegain is butter.

Arcbound Ghoul

With so many things around wanting to die to modulate, this zombie is a natural fit to take further advantage of their deaths. Khabál Ghoul from Arabian Nights, more specifically from Shandalar, was one of my favorite childhood cards.

Arcbound Magus

Vedalken Arcmage was a key component to one of my Mirrodin decks so it was only fitting he would get reimagined for this artifact centric set. When an artifact dies, for say to modulate, you draw a card and keep your engine running.

Luke's Gnome

Originally cut from the set because he doesn't have any real synergies, he returns because he is simply a solid body. Once things started caring about things going to the graveyard, he came back. It was nice to have a sacrificing artifact that didn't modulate. Plus he costs 3 and can be Warbound. ... perhaps I should create an even more generic artifact creature for that purpose..
Iron Giant

Every color has their version of Hill Giant, it's colorless's turn.

Last edited by Confred; March 30th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games