Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Would you use Stinger Denial?
Heck No! 44 65.67%
It depends on who I'm playing. 18 26.87%
I'll use whatever I can for victory! 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Stinger Denial Poll

A age old topic that was recently revived: Stinger Denial. The debate that surrounds it isn't whether its legal or not, its about whether or not you should do it. So, I just thought it would be neat to get a poll of everyone's opinion. Would you do it?

Last edited by orgsbane; August 28th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Stinger Denial Poll

Your poll has some problems. It says Drain when it should say Denial. It says whatever when it should say whenever.

This poll should not just focus on Stingers. It should talk about any figure with a sculpt that significantly extends into an adjacent space.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 28th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Your poll has some problems. It says Drain when it should say Denial. It says whatever when it should say whenever.

This poll should not just focus on Stingers. It should talk about any figure with a sculpt that significantly extends into an adjacent space.
I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic. You can bring the into the game, with the intention of using them to block engagement,

Actually, I meant to say whatever. BUT, yeah, the Stinger Drain is a mistake. I'm a terrible proof reader. I read things how they are supposed to be, not how they are

It's not possible to edit a poll, is it?
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
Depends...

~Aldin, deniably

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Oops, my bad. "Whatever" is the better word. I'm also not the best proof reader.
I probably should not have posted so quickly.

Quote:
I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic.
This is untrue. They are not the only unit that can be used this way. What is a "true tactic"?
I will not vote in this poll because it irrationally singles out Stingers.

Edit: Just kidding there is value in this poll. But let's not start another discussion here about it. The discussion (old and new) is over here. Let's try to keep it all in one place.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Depends...

~Aldin, deniably
Very nice! Thanks!
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Gary's right. Raelin's spike, Grimnak's tail, and other models can easily be used in this same manner.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

Quote:
Oops, my bad. "Whatever" is the better word. I'm also not the best proof reader.
I probably should not have posted so quickly.

Quote:
I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic.
This is untrue. They are not the only unit that can be used this way. What is a "true tactic"?
Ok. So, someone doesn't draft Grimnak because of the off chance his tail might block someone. I mean that this is not a viable tactic for Grimnak. BUT, someone could indeed draft the Stingers because they can deny engagement.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Spin Master

Let's please not start another discussion here about it. The discussion (old and new) is over here. Let's try to keep it all in one place.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
I think what he's trying to say is that there's less often anything to gain by keeping a figure from engaging the OP, since the OP is, after all, a melee unit. It's at most a very small tool at your disposal; you wouldn't draft the figure with that use in mind. Raelin would often like to keep figures from engaging her, but I've never really seen her spear be an effective denial tool. Granted, there are situations where you might want to limit movement using the OP's club (or choose which way to flip Grimnak/Nilfheim to limit other large/huge figures from engaging) but it's pretty situational.

Stingers, on the other hand, can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.

That said, I don't believe I've ever seen a stinger on level ground that was able to ward off most medium figures using stinger denial by itself. It's kind of hard. The only ways I've seen it be truly effective is if
  1. you put the stinger on low ground, and put the gun across a hex that is one level higher. This way you are actually getting in the way of the base of the figure, which is much harder to work around.
  2. You use multiple stingers to impinge on the same hex.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think what he's trying to say is that there's less often anything to gain by keeping a figure from engaging the OP, since the OP is, after all, a melee unit. It's at most a very small tool at your disposal; you wouldn't draft the figure with that use in mind. Raelin would often like to keep figures from engaging her, but I've never really seen her spear be an effective denial tool. Granted, there are situations where you might want to limit movement using the OP's club (or choose which way to flip Grimnak/Nilfheim to limit other large/huge figures from engaging) but it's pretty situational.

Stingers, on the other hand, can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.

That said, I don't believe I've ever seen a stinger on level ground that was able to ward off most medium figures using stinger denial by itself. It's kind of hard. The only ways I've seen it be truly effective is if
  1. you put the stinger on low ground, and put the gun across a hex that is one level higher. This way you are actually getting in the way of the base of the figure, which is much harder to work around.
  2. You use multiple stingers to impinge on the same hex.
Eloquently said. That's exactly what I mean!
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Stingers can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.
I replied over here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units