Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 17th, 2023, 07:16 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

A PERFECT SCAPE SESSION!

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
--Hanibal Brooks, The A Team

The perfect scenario. The perfect battlefield map for that scenario. Games where the lead shifts back and forth, and the dice decide many knife edge situations. Very fascinating situations and decisions to be made, including a brand new type!

Game Scores

Game 1 (Full Card Scoring, with my variation that the last hit put on someone taking the entire card) : Kolakoski 325 Thrasher Darkrai 250 Chas 200
Game 2 (Partial Card Scoring): Thrasher Darkrai 610 Kolakoski 465 Chas 215
Game 3 (Partial Card Scoring): Thrasher Darkrai 490 Chas 172

We host a custom scenario each month. They usually only get playtested during our first game, with adjusments made on the second and/or third game. In this case, the scenario was so well received that the only changes we made (now reflected back in Post #1700) were a clarification giving the owner a choice when the most valuable card was defeated and another had to be picked to be the one that couldn't be taken during a Switch from two equal value cards, and a change from Full to Partial Card Scoring after Game 1. The only negative was that two of us were missing, but I wouldn't be surprised if this Switcheroo scenario is run again.

One of the interesting things about the scenario was how Switching options changed as armies took casualties, and options shifted. The SIR role also kept it lively by varying the order players got to choose the switch. In the first game, it was the same several times.

I alse choose the map. It turned out that TD had played on it online before, but never seen it physically on the table. I've noted the specific start zone modifications I made to change it easily from a 2 Player map.

Game One

I hadn't seen Runa on the table for many years. I threw her out ahead, and got two lucky 20s on two different turns, taking out TDs Concan and one of his Ordo Borealis bears! His bears were for the first time no my Wookie proxies, but TD's own custom figures he had printed out and painted himself. Wow. Too bad no one took any pictures.

My first time using the Skeletons of Annilinta was great, even though a squad's worth, like most Common Squads in the games were taken during a switch. Due to the first early Switch for Round Three, everyone ended up taking another's card which was in an enemy start zone, and battling it out amidst most of an enemy army. So while there was action between all of us on the "front line" mid map, there were also simultaneous conflicts going on in at least two out of three start zones! Wacky fun!

Game Two
The TD Red Mantis Blade Dancers sliced through my Pathfinders. My Private Chuck (SD's special birthday custom for me) got many shots on one of them early on, but couldn't wound him. They were a great pick for this scenario, and TD had painted them very nicely--he even put blue capes on the women figures! As for the corporal, he was switched away from me and Sir Orrick had to kill him for the points. This happened with Sir Orrick also later on!

As usual we used proxies when two armies were fielding the same cards. In this case, since TD had four Nottingham Brigands, I gave Kolakoski two proxy different archers to use. And Switcheroo makes it even more confusing to keep track of who is controlling who, although it was ultimately not a problem.

Game Three
This was a pretty one sided game, because the Dwarves took Breach down early, while my anticipated fight between him and Mok never happened, as TD loaded two dwarves on him (it was his first time using Mok) and kept in in the start zone until later in the game. I've never heard of Mok being used as clean up, but it sure worked here for him. Mika Connour was a perfect choice for a map with lots of shadow on it already, but with half of my Warforged switched out and half of TD's dwarves taken by me, it was a pretty confused battle. I note that we marked pieces that changed sides with color coded plastic "stones" (plastic pieces sold in most craft stores, and a mainstay of gaming here in The Game Palace).

Last edited by chas; September 18th, 2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old September 18th, 2023, 07:30 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've now started a thread called Chas Scenarios in Customs/Maps and Scenarios. I think besides my own gaming, my best contribution to the Heroscape Community would be my scenarios. While most are already here upthread, this should make them more accessible, especially for those who don't travel here to this thread.

You can check it out here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=62932

I've got 22 up there by going back in time as far as 2015; cutting and pasting the ones that got a good reception from the gang here. After I posted to the rest of the membership and suggested they note any they particularly liked, Kolakoski put a few up from even further back (thanks, bro). Thanks, man. He and I used to colaborate on many of his scenarios as well; many of our best are on his Blog!

Others of mine for Superscape are posted in Marvel Scenarios too.

Our regular rotation allows each of us about 4 per year, so that will cover the last third or so of our games.

If you have any favorites let me know here, since I may have missed some.

Last edited by chas; September 24th, 2023 at 07:14 AM.
Old September 18th, 2023, 02:32 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

They Came To Kahora!
It's all about the treasure, of course!

"Captains, you'd best watch your backs. No one can be trusted with so much treasure at stake!"

The Map. Echidna's Garden by All_Your_Pie.

All Glyphs are Brandar's Chests. 3 additional Glyphs will be placed on the Map.

The Crews. 500 points/player. Heroes only. Medieval weapons only; no guns. Classic, C3V, SoV, AoA, no Marvel. This will be a free for all. Each player must have, and will designate, one Hero (120 points or less) to be his/her Captain.

The Betrayals. Every non-Captain Hero has the Stab in the Back Special Power. Every time you roll for Stab in the Back, add 4 to your die roll. (Thus, a roll of 1-5 results in a Betrayal.) If any enemy player has no Heroes left (is “out of the game”), you must give the betraying Hero to that player. Note: When revealing a numbered Order Marker on a non-Captain Hero's card, you must take a turn with that Hero. You may not pass to avoid Stab in the Back.

Brandar's Chests. A Hero may have only 1 Brandar's Chest on its card.

Free For All. At the beginning of the game, the players will place their Heroes, one at a time in random initiative order, in the existing Start Zones. For the first 3 Rounds, all players will be considered friendly to one another. Normal play will commence at the beginning of Round 4. Betrayals, however, will begin in Round 1.

Victory Conditions. After 13 Rounds, the player with the most Brandar's Chests wins. In the event of a tie, continue play as though it was the 13th Round until someone wins.

Last edited by kolakoski; October 3rd, 2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old September 20th, 2023, 05:09 AM

Renegade Games Heroscape Revival Event October 7

Just a reminder that Sat. October 7, two and a half weeks from now, there will be a segment for Heroscape's Age of Annihilation revivial from 3-4 PM on youtube! This seems to be set up like the one Hasbro did last Fall, as a part of a larger event including presentations of other of their new games during other times that day.

It will be interesting to see if Craig Van Ness will be there. When last heard from he was working for Avalon Hill, but of course he could appear in various capacities.

Hopefully we'll get some good information for the relaunch, which might occur at GenCon 2024.

Here in Brooklyn Heights, we continue my Heroscape Revival Project, with AOA cards by Anitar (and a few by me) now integrated into our regular monthly Classic/VC games. There are also my rules for Illusory Walls upthread. Anyone who drops by as a new NYCG4 member or one time guest can play with my cards and proxies, which now cover every card in the old Hasbro offering. Thrasher Darkrai has even collected some figures for AOA, although now he plans to wait for Renegade to provide more of them.
Old September 20th, 2023, 02:02 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met

Made numerous revisions to Post #1755.

Much easier betrayal system than chas' Switcheroo!

Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:56 AM

Scenario Revival: Battle of the Teutoburg Forest by Griznakh

While going through my old scenarios I found this one I played back in 2009 by our professional artist pal who used to help run our Islandscape Tournaments back before Covid. Griznakh is famous for his many custom enhanced board games, and his amazing city buildings and many other extras for Heroscape itself. This is the only historical scenario he made, which is a famous battle (massacre) between the Romans and the Germanic Tribesmen in Ancient times.

I decided to print out the wonderful pages he left behind including historical background, scenario rules, armies needed (4 Players), and photos of the map used plus the battle being set up and waged with figures and proxies. I'll probably solitaire it first, and then offer it to others around the upcoming winter holidays too.

I now have many more figures to use, so I should be able to mount the game more easily. For example, I'll use Greeks for the second Legion player (with Roman rules), and I have lots of extra archer types.

You can find the scenario here, on Page 60 of Maps and Scenarios in the Customs site section:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=24805

Take a look, and if you try it out, let us know!

I'm happy to say that after looking through my very large collection of figures, I can easily set this up. In fact, I'm considering expanding the game to enough figures for 6 players instead of 4 (our regular group is made of 5, and I'll invite my other gamer friends also). This would of course include a lot of proxy figures. I'll publish a list of the figures I decide to use at some point. What the hey, in the historical battle the Romans had three Legions anyhow!

Basically for the Romans, I'll use one "Legion" of Classic Romans, my second custom Roman army (trimmed in black instead of red; there is a lot of controvery about what colors Roman Legionnairs actually wore, although in most movies they are show with red), and Greeks for the third Legion with Parmenio (conveniently the historical Legios XVII, XVIII, and XIX). This was one of the worst defeats the Romans ever suffered, and they never used these numbers again, whereas most Legion numbers of disbanded units were reused!

For the more varied Germans, besides Tarn Vikings and Aubrien archers, I'll be using MacDirks, Warriors of Ashra, and various proxy barbarian types, Nottingham Brigands, etc. All squads, whichever their figures, will use the Roman Legion or Tarn Viking cards (Germans).

Griznakh says he hasn't made any further changes to the scenario, so I should be ready to go. I'll read through the rules and units to see if I want to make any more changes. I could add some helpless camp followers to the Romans, but the scenario is already against them!

Being a history buff, I'm pretty sure I did try this scenario out as is soon after it first appeared, but since it was 13 years ago, I don't remember any details. If any of you other members recall participating, let me know what you recall about it!

Last edited by chas; September 24th, 2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old September 24th, 2023, 09:59 AM

Changes to Teutoburg Forest For Its Revival

I'm changing very little. I don't know if the sand and swamp areas will be used, in his game and my own, I recall all the fighting being near the German wall and in their forest. But for now no map changes.

I'll replace his extra custom trees and rocks with Rock Outcrops and more trees and/or bushes.

The extra Roman player will set up in the March Column, which can snake around toward the end.

The extra German player will set up on the elevated ground inside the wall and forest, like the other players.

The largest change is just which figures and proxies to use. All non Leaders except archers will use the Roman or Tarn Viking cards. I have some nice custom banner bearers; I'll use one for the Roman side commander Varus, and the Elf one for Arminius (aka "Herman the German"), just for decoration without any special effect. In the list below 'Red Romans' are the classic figures, 'Black Romans' are my second custom Roman army trimmed in that color. You'll want to use your own figures to fill in for the figures, but this gives you some good suggestions.

Teutoburg Figures List

The Third Player on each side are my own adds to expand the scenario.
Units are given in squads, not single figures except for Leaders.
On the left are the required units; on the right the actual figures being used.
"Proxy" indicates msc. unassigned figures.

Roman Player One (Legio XVII)

Romans x4 (4 Figures/Squad) 4 Classic Red Romans
Roman Archers x3 (3 Fig) 3 Classic Red Roman Archers
Marcus Decimus Gallus (Cmdr Varus) + Custom Red Flagbearer Marcus
Retarius Retarius

Roman Player Two (Legio XVIII)

Romans x4 4 Black Romans
Roman Archers x3 3 Black Roman Archers
Cruxius Crixius

Roman Player Three (Legio XIX)

Romans x4 4 Sacred Band (Greeks)
Roman Archers x2 2 Red Roman Archers
Parmenio Parmenio

German Player One

"Germans" x4 (4 Figs) 3 Tarn Vikings, Msc. Proxy Swordsmen

Archers x2 (3 Figs) 2 Aubrien Archers
Valguard (Cmdr Arminius) +Elf Flagbearer

German Player Two
"Germans" x4 4 MacDirk Warriors
Archers x2 6 Nottingham Brigands
Thorgrim Thorgrim
Finn Finn

German Player Three
"Germans" x4 8 Proxy "Barbarians"
Archers x2 Aubrien Archers, Proxy Msc Forest Archers
Eldgrim Eldgrim

Cards Used

Only 12 Cards are used. Each side uses 1 infantry, 1 archer, and 4 Leaders.

Roman Cards (6)

Roman Legionnaires
Roman Archers
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Crixius
Retarius
Parmenia

German Cards (6)

Tarn Viking Warriors
Aubrien Archers
Valguard
Finn
Thorgrim
Eldgrim

Last edited by chas; September 24th, 2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 7th, 2023, 09:49 PM

Renegade Games "Meet The Team" Heroscape Stream

Did any of you watch today's stream? Its interesting that they will be putting out an application to playtest. I took some notes. The first content reveal will supposedly be in 3 months, with a relaunch in 2024. There will be a new stand alone Master Set. There will also be smaller buy in packs. Age of Annihilation stuff will all be issued, including the stretch goals. They are working on 3 terrain packs and there will be more later. Product will be issued in multiple Waves. There will be Organized Play.

No decision yet on whether minis will be painted. Old figures will not be reissued, as all the moulds have been destroyed. Some of the team have been lurking on the site and will be posting there soon. The two most directly involved have been long time Scapers.

To find the hour long stream on youtube I entered "Renegade Heroscape."

The link to the Renegade Playtest Application Form is now up on this thread on Post 284; it wouldn't copy here: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...87#post2600687

Last edited by chas; October 10th, 2023 at 05:25 AM.
Old October 10th, 2023, 10:44 AM

Well met!

Time to consider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I've been working on my game for next month. The premise is that an evil person (Sudema) is performing a ritual to summon a powerful demon, and the good guys have to stop her. But it won't be easy; she will send her minions to greet the would-be heroes, and the heroes will have to fight past them to reach her sanctum.

Hero armies:
1) Sir Dupuis, Knights of Weston x2 and Sir Gilbert (395 points)
2) Migol Ironwill, Mogrim Forgehammer and Shieldsmiths of Granitekeep x2 (390 points)
3) Syvarris, Sonlen and Aubrien Archers x3 (400 points)

Minion armies:
1) Horned Skull Brutes x2 and Goblin Cutters x2 (250 points)
2) Death Chasers of Thesk x2 and Ogre Warhulk (260 points)
3) Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Riders x2 and Krug (250 points)

Second wind rules will be in effect. After getting past the minions the heroes will face Sudema herself plus her army of Undead creatures.

Sudema's Armies:
Sudema and Crypt Guardian x3 (320 points)
Zombies of Morandin x5 (300 points)
Skeletons of Annelintia x2, Iskra Esenwein and the Rechets of Bogden (310 points)

I am not sure yet what exactly Sudema is trying to summon, but it will be bad! The fight against the minions goes until one side is eliminated, but if the fight against Sudema goes past six rounds without killing Sudema, the demon will arise and the heroes will have to fight it. Even if they kill Sudema herself, they are bound by duty to eliminate all of her Undead army. There is no time limit to this; whether the demon is successfully summoned or not, play continues until one side is eliminated.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas and criticisms.

As before in my scenarios, one person can control more than one army (like Sherman Davies did last time) if we don't have six people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
TW,

Elven army #3 for me! And K. didn't pick an army, he made up his own, and you didn't mention which are still up for grabs. So does his replace any, or not?

Chas
Of course, we have no idea how this will go. As aforesaid, I have been permitted to build a 400 point army for this, as opposed to choosing one of the pre-built ones:

120 Asterios
120 Bahadur
80 Kumiko
80 Prince al'Kahora
400 points, 4 spaces

The Knights or Shieldsmiths, depending on the whim of the third "good guy" player, will have to screen for both of us. If the "good guy" player decides to create his own 400 point army, we can only pray . . .

P.S.: Note: Our dojo is having a reunion dinner in the West Village at 6:00 P.M. on the 21st, so I anticipate leaving the Game Palace by around 5:00 P.M. Hopefully, we'll start on time . . .

Old October 10th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Well met!

Time to consider:

Quote:
I've been working on my game for next month. The premise is that an evil person (Sudema) is performing a ritual to summon a powerful demon, and the good guys have to stop her. But it won't be easy; she will send her minions to greet the would-be heroes, and the heroes will have to fight past them to reach her sanctum.

Hero armies:
1) Sir Dupuis, Knights of Weston x2 and Sir Gilbert (395 points)
2) Migol Ironwill, Mogrim Forgehammer and Shieldsmiths of Granitekeep x2 (390 points)
3) Syvarris, Sonlen and Aubrien Archers x3 (400 points)

Minion armies:
1) Horned Skull Brutes x2 and Goblin Cutters x2 (250 points)
2) Death Chasers of Thesk x2 and Ogre Warhulk (260 points)
3) Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Riders x2 and Krug (250 points)

Second wind rules will be in effect. After getting past the minions the heroes will face Sudema herself plus her army of Undead creatures.

Sudema's Armies:
Sudema and Crypt Guardian x3 (320 points)
Zombies of Morandin x5 (300 points)
Skeletons of Annelintia x2, Iskra Esenwein and the Rechets of Bogden (310 points)

I am not sure yet what exactly Sudema is trying to summon, but it will be bad! The fight against the minions goes until one side is eliminated, but if the fight against Sudema goes past six rounds without killing Sudema, the demon will arise and the heroes will have to fight it. Even if they kill Sudema herself, they are bound by duty to eliminate all of her Undead army. There is no time limit to this; whether the demon is successfully summoned or not, play continues until one side is eliminated.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas and criticisms.

As before in my scenarios, one person can control more than one army (like Sherman Davies did last time) if we don't have six people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
TW,

Elven army #3 for me! And K. didn't pick an army, he made up his own, . . .

Chas
Of course, we have no idea how this will go. As aforesaid, I have been permitted to build a 400 point army for this, as opposed to choosing one of the pre-built ones. Previously posted:

120 Asterios
120 Bahadur
80 Kumiko
80 Prince al'Kahora
400 points, 4 spaces

For various reasons, I might go with:

130 Kozil
120 Asterios
80 Prince al'Kahora
70 Martial La Hire
400 points, 4 spaces

The Knights or Shieldsmiths, depending on the whim of the third "good guy" player, will have to screen for both of us. If the third "good guy" player decides to create his own 400 point army, we can only pray . . .

P.S.: Note: Our dojo is having a reunion dinner at 6:00 P.M. on the 21st, so I anticipate leaving the Game Palace by around 5:00 P.M. I feel badly about not being able to stay longer.

P.P.S.: These are personal musings. Comments welcomed, but not required, from or concerning potential third "good guy" army. As always, my army is subject to change . . .

Last edited by kolakoski; October 10th, 2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old October 12th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

TBH, I think the armies I put together for the good guys make more sense than an all-hero army. I designed armies on both sides to have two squads each, so they strike a nice balance between Heroscape and Squadscape. Someone should definitely take either the Knight army or the Dwarf army as written.

Old October 13th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Well met!

Quote:
TBH, I think the armies I put together for the good guys make more sense than an all-hero army. I designed armies on both sides to have two squads each, so they strike a nice balance between Heroscape and Squadscape. Someone should definitely take either the Knight army or the Dwarf army as written.
All true, I suppose. However, Asterios is the perfect counter to the bad guys' squads. The other heroes have, or have the potential to have, multiple attacks. They also have a good chance against the bad guys' heroes and whatever demon they summon. But, most importantly, Bahadur and Prince al'Kahora have been specifically paired before and have a fun back story with us; Kozil, only recently hitting the table for us, has been fun and effective; Kumiko has a power similar to Asterios'; and Martial La Hire is quite strong, and interesting, for a 70 point filler. Making "more sense" isn't as important to me as the continuing creation of a fun, personal lore.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion