Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old January 12th, 2015, 04:28 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker
Re: 3 Player Games - Ethics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Also, when I build a map for a 3 free for all I center it with a 3 hex and make it symmetrical 3 ways branching out from that 3 hex. That keeps everyone spaced apart from each others startzones evenly. Thanks for the topic, It was a fun read.
You should try using a 7 hex circle thingy. It makes a great central point for a glyph or TJ tree.

I like to put the dead figures in three separate piles and count up the points to find a top performer. I prefer this because you can "lose the last one standing part of the game, but still "win" at the same time.
Old January 14th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

I'm someone who prefers all of the diplomacy that goes on. This also makes less competitive units somewhat more valuable as it adds the "I'm not a major threat here" tactic.

Works great. Especially with Nakitas. They die quickly in the beginning, but all it takes is a little diplomacy after some heavy losses, and everyone thinks you're not a threat. (I mean, generally most of the gorillas all go down in one or two special attacks) Then you can unleash the awesome late game power of tough and 3 attack at range when all the special attackers are dead.
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:28 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
I'm someone who prefers all of the diplomacy that goes on. This also makes less competitive units somewhat more valuable as it adds the "I'm not a major threat here" tactic.

Works great. Especially with Nakitas. They die quickly in the beginning, but all it takes is a little diplomacy after some heavy losses, and everyone thinks you're not a threat. (I mean, generally most of the gorillas all go down in one or two special attacks) Then you can unleash the awesome late game power of tough and 3 attack at range when all the special attackers are dead.
Diplomacy makes 3-player games extremely special. When I use begging for "Don't kill me!" It's often because the third player started killing everything else. Diplomacy makes the game special.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Diplomacy is all fine and good, and I love a game with lively diplomacy as much as the next guy.

However, the alternative solutions to forcing balance on a 3+ player game are nevertheless important for semi-official games, or when the players have a tendency to avoid diplomacy altogether. The latter has often been my experience with the people I play with, where the same alliances arise each game invariably. In that type of situation, alternatives to FFAs are quite necessary for an enjoyable game.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've forgotten if I mentioned this previously in this thread or not, but try running a scenario where you *have* to employ diplomacy or risk being destroyed all too easily.

We ran a scenario where each player had to pass 3 bills (as if we were Senators). You could pass them by convincing the other 2 players to agree, by force or diplomacy. Players couldn't harm each other until someone could start a bill however, which meant that players were free to position and advance as they saw fit. It led to a super fun, if maybe possibly broken game.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

@flameslayer93 , that sounds really interesting. Would you mind providing more details about the rules/conditions?

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:37 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Why sure @Killometer . Fortunately I still had it on my phone lol.

Blood on the Debate Floor!!
3+ player FFA

Setup: Players choose 1 of the preset armies and place them in their starting zones. Place a bunch of Treasure Glyphs face up (so no Traps).

Victory: Get 3 of your proposed bills to pass by greed or deed.

Special Rules: A proposal may be made by a player as soon as 1 of their units enter the Debate Floor (wood spaces). The other players take a vote whether or not to pass the proposal. Majority rules. If a proposal is not passed, the proposer has to destroy at least 1 figure from each naysayer's army and they may not have any of their units on the upper level of the debate floor. If there isnt at least 1 of the proposer's figures on the debate floor, the proposal is tossed out. The proposer may withdraw their proposal.

After a proposal has been accepted or rejected, a new proposal may be made by another player. (Players cannot make more than 1 proposal at a time, though multiple proposals can be made).

"Peace" Rules: Figures cannot harm one another until a proposal is on the floor.

The bills were:
Spoiler Alert!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Looks like a blast. What are Wood spaces?

And there has to be a story here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
3000 pe teachers: figs get negated on a 5 or less each turn

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:23 PM
I could go

@Killometer wood spaces are spaces made literally from wood. I purchased them to try them out. They aren't bad, but only serve my needs marginally. They don't have any major effects, outside of ambience.

That would be a Red Dwarf reference. My friends are huge geeks. :hypocrite:

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:59 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I revised this below in the last couple years. I do same rules for Magic:AotP. This is the only tolerable way for me to do 3+ player FFA games, but honestly if 4 players I prefer team games, but the below is almost a necessity if Free-For-All 4 player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
See Three-player free-for-alls: how to structure them. My revised advice (what I do in multiplayer games):

In FFA games at the end of the round, each player should count up how many players he/she rolled attacked dice against (not used special powers to wound/kill) that round and roll a 20-sided die. Follow the below chart to either wound one of your figures or bring back a squad member or remove a wound from a hero (but not resurrect a hero).
Code:
3 Players (or 4+ after down to 3 players):
Attacked  D20:	0 - 5	6 - 10	11 - 15	16 - 20
0		Wound	Wound	-	-
1		Wound	-	-	Heal
2		-	-	Heal	Heal

4+ Players:
Attacked  D20:	0 - 5	6 - 10	11 - 15	16 - 20
0		Wound	Wound	Wound	-
1		Wound	Wound	-	-
2		Wound	-	-	Heal
3+		-	-	Heal	Heal
Once it is down to 2 players, the wound/heal roll goes away. It makes the game last longer but stops turtling, and people go out of their way to attack 2 or 3 different players a round. Squads/bonders and multiple special attackers usually end up splitting which players they attack. Truces still form between 2 players but they don't last long (say until a dragon or Q9 from another player is dead).

My original idea:
Spoiler Alert!
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:37 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Here is a simple yet fun approach. Keep all the figures you have defeated using partial card scoring. If someone has respawnable units just track those on paper. Whichever player has the most points at the end wins. It works pretty well. There could still be the gang up factor but its not likely to make any particular force win.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 17th, 2018, 06:41 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Here is a simple yet fun approach. Keep all the figures you have defeated using partial card scoring. If someone has respawnable units just track those on paper. Whichever player has the most points at the end wins. It works pretty well. There could still be the gang up factor but its not likely to make any particular force win.
We did this before. Someone rolled Cyprien, and I farmed him for points.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles