Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Laupow Woo who?
Laupow's Custom Terrain *Updated-Pics on page two*

Hi all. I have been searching the website, looking at everyone's amazing customs for awhile, and I was inspired to make my own. I put two of these together about a month ago (I only took pictures of one of them), but never got around to posting pictures or anything.

Wooden Fence

A picture of a fence by itself.

Some pictures of it with other figures.

This was a fairly easy, yet time consuming, custom to make. All I did was take popsicle sticks and carve them into wooden stakes with my pocket knife, then glue them together with some some wood glue. After the glue dried (Which took forever! ), I added some small scratches into it to make it look more worn.

Just a note before I take my leave, I did make two of these, one without a giant hole, and I intend on posting some pictures of both fences on a map, later this week.

~The glass is neither half full, or half empty, it is just twice as big as it needs to be.~

Last edited by Laupow; July 21st, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Laupow's Custom Terrain

That is awesome. I made something smaller than that a while back out of the same material but I stepped on it.

Do you feel like staining it? That would make it EPIC.

Welcome to Heroscapers!
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Laupow Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
That is awesome. I made something smaller than that a while back out of the same material but I stepped on it.

Welcome to Heroscapers!
Thanks, and I did consider that. But would staining it cover up the scratches on it, because unlike in the pictures, the scratches are quite noticeable in real life.

~The glass is neither half full, or half empty, it is just twice as big as it needs to be.~

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupow View Post
Quote:

Welcome to Heroscapers!
Thanks, and I did consider that. But would staining it cover up the scratches on it, because unlike in the pictures, the scratches are quite noticeable in real life.
As long as you don't go too thick with it, the scratches will stay. Something like paint could fill them in.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:59 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to Heroscapers!
It depends on the variety of stain. Some do what the name implies and stain the wood a different color, those would probably enhance the scratches look. Other stains also have a varnish like effect to them and those would cover the scratches. Check the viscosity and scent of what you'd be using, if it flows like water and smells like rubbing alcohol it should be good.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Laupow Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to Heroscapers!
It depends on the variety of stain. Some do what the name implies and stain the wood a different color, those would probably enhance the scratches look. Other stains also have a varnish like effect to them and those would cover the scratches. Check the viscosity and scent of what you'd be using, if it flows like water and smells like rubbing alcohol it should be good.
Thanks for the ideas! I may just have to try that soon...

Last edited by Laupow; July 15th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM

dillerbocker is surprisingly tart

Just get two colors of acrylic paint at walmart and drybrush it. maybe a dark brown to paint the whole thing and then drybrush with a tan or lighter color.
"Drybrushing"
You get paint on the brush then you wipe it all off (I use a paper towel), then you very lightly brush your fence. What this does is just highlite the parts that stick out and makes the cracks and recesses stand out more. This is what I did with my saloon (all craft sticks), although I had a black base coat and 2 shades of brown.
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Laupow Woo who?

Alright! I'm back with some more pictures of customly goodness, and they are looking quite fabulous! Here they are on the new map I made...

Hey, I've seen that one before!

Now that's something new!

Now those were just awesome! (Don't you just love commenting on your own photos? )

So with those new pictures, I hope you get a better feel for these fences. I am probably going to stain them, or something, soon so that they look a little more realistic, but for now, I am just trying to locate a tower I started that was meant to match these... I think it just walked away on me. I'll check back in as soon as I find it, or am forced start a new one.

Old July 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Those look really good! I agree that staining the fences will greatly enhance their looks (although you could probably get away with painting them, if you used the drybrush technique).
If you want to do even more, I would suggest putting some type of fake moss or vines on the bases. That would make them look even more at home on a jungle map.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM

Bloodthorn is surprisingly tart

I like the fences too. Another painting idea is to give them a "wash". A wash is when you mix the acrylic paint with water to thin it down to about milk. Then you lightly spread it over the fence and the scratches and dents will have the most paint in them and be darker then the rest of the fence.

Nice pics too! +rep
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I really like these fences, but like everyone else, I think they need to be stained. The stain will usually get into cracks/scratches and make them darker. But if it doesn't come out dark enough, you can get some black acrylic paint, put a little bit in a dixie cup or something and thin it down with some water. Then brush it on so that the black fills in the scratches, this will also give the fence a more realistic look.

You should get and extra popsicle stick or two and scratch them up so that you can experiment on them to get the right look that you want with the stain and black wash. Also, stain won't usually take too well to areas that have glue on them, so I hope that you were careful not to get glue all over the exposed fence If you did, then you can use a brown acrylic paint first instead of the stain and then black wash it.

Good luck.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've used markers instead of stain before. Same result and I had a variety of colors to choose from.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles