Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM

ReverendBayes is surprisingly tart
Re: Monsterpocalypse NOW

The 4th and newest expansion of Monsterpocalypse released yesterday.

It's called Monsterpocalypse NOW, and represents a new entry point for players.

6 new factions are introduced that, for those already into the game, mesh well with the previous 6 factions.

Looks like PP did a huge overhaul to their MonPoc website in honor of this release, including a complete figure gallery for all 4 sets, and lots of other stuff:

http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/

Can't wait to get some!

Uncertainty: Something you can always count on.
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: Monsterpocalypse (Heading to your way this fall)

Makes me sad, since I loved that game and have no one to play with...

But if anyone here wants some figures from the first set, I've still got 'em for trade!
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker

I really enjoyed playing MonPoc. I actually prefer it to HeroScape, but I was spending too much time on it and had to give it up. I love the new Apes faction and the Tritons and Subterrans are neat ideas as well.

PS - The last thing I have of my collection is a Mega Rogzor. If anyone wants to trade, let me know.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

hope you'll enjoy it

Last edited by Gabbi; December 19th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

OK, Scapers I need your help deciding whether or not to take the Monpoc plunge. About a year ago I was making the same decison (even made a post in this thread stating so), but time, $$ and the collectible aspect of the game made the decision for me.

What's changed? Really just the $$ part. Instead of gifts this year my parents gave me a good chunk of change and I was told to 'blow it' on something fun (or a the very least I was expressly forbidden to pay a bill with it).

I still don't have a ton of time, but I've been able to work games in a bit more than in the past lately.

So that leaves the collectible hurdle to get past (never done any kind of collectible game). Keep in mind, my gaming OCD is fighting the sensible method of just jumping online and grabbing a couple starters, boosters and get my game on.

Instead I'm trying to find a way to 'beat the system' and maximize what I will get for what I will spend (also I don't plan to pick a couple factions and sell/trade the rest, I'm keeping it all, other than dupes I won't ever need).

Beating the system is probably not the right term, but I did find out (common knowledge I'm sure) that if I purchase a case of monster boosters instead of just a booster here or there, that there is a very good chance (no guarantee) that I will get all the monsters in that series.

In order to get everything otherwise I found that on average you would need to purchase 24 boosters to get all the monsters.

I'm only interested in Series 1 right now, and figure (especially with the release of the new factions in Series 4) that it's going to become very scarce in the near future (though I have no idea what PP's production practices are as far as bringing stuff back eventually, like Scape spoils us with).

I also don't plan to play anywhere but my game room, or a friends game room, not interested in tourneys, just a fun ole monster battle.

Also mind that I've recently purchased/received a whole mess of new games over the last 6 months (Confrontation, Pandemic, Doom, Space Hulk, Drakon, Summoner Wars, Grind, Dominion, Snow Tails, FITS, Dungeon Twister, with Scape and 40K already on the shelves), so I have no shortage of stuff to play (also plan to purchase Castle Panic, Smallworld, and the Arcane Legions starter... and maybe Hive). Monpoc will just be another choice among many. So telling me that 'I have enough other stuff, I don't 'need' this one, and there will always be another game on the horizon that will trump the one currently on your radar' is perfectly valid.

All that said, right now I'm simply trying to decide whether to 'force' myself to just go the two starters, two monster boosters and two unit boosters route to just dip my feet a bit, or if I give in to my OCD and get most if not all in one shot.

If I do the latter my plan is to do one of these two things:

I
1) 1 Case of series 1 monster boosters (should get them all this way)
2) 1 Case of series 1 unit boosters (should get them all, plus I get a ton of buildings this way, which, lets face it, the more buildings the more fun).
3) map pack
4) Get an accessory pack (or two) which will give me everything I need except for the rules.
5) Download the rules.

This method keeps me from having to purchase a starter set and guarantee a duplicate monster since I'll be getting a case of monsters.

or

II
1) 2 Starter sets
2) case of monster boosters
3) case of unit boosters
4) map pack
5) sell/trade the dupes (which will probably be difficult at this point)

No accessory packs needed (not really anyway).

Asking whether or not to get into Monpoc on a Monpoc forum didn't seem like the best way to get an unbiased opinion (though I suppose that could happen here too, the difference being I very much value/trust what many here have to say about gaming).

So the options are:

1) Stay away, you don't 'need it.'
2) Get in, but go slow, even if it means you'll miss out on some stuff, it's only home games for you.
3) Go all in, it will save you $$ in the long run (if this one, which purchasing method? I or II above?).

One last note, are the strategy guides necessary, or just a nice to have?

-insert signature here-
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

The game is great and quite deep. Way more deeper than you'd expect considering its theme and the somewhat toony look of the miniatures.
Monsterpocalypse is a great boardgame, with a solid ruleset behind it. It is not a game with quick rules to make fights with giant monsters making noises with your mouth. For this, there's Monster Island.
So, think if this is what you're looking for.
If the answer is yes, and if you're not a completist, I would suggest you to grab a couple of starters only (maybe one from Set 1: Rise, and one for Set 4: Monsterpocalypse Now) to get the minimum to play for two players (you can add a couple of unit boosters, if you like) and try the game to check if you like it.
Then, if you like the game, look at the factions, choose the ones that appeal you the most, and go eBay (or other web shops) to get exactly what you want.
This is what I've done myself. And what I do for every collectible game I play. I start getting a starter and maybe some boosters, just to see "how it is", then, if I like the game, I get what I want via secondary market, purchasing just few booster now and then just for the joy of opening them, but I purchase the main amount of my collectible miniatures as singles, choosing what I'm paying for.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Gabbi; December 28th, 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

So I'm kind of necroing this thread but I was just looking this game over and it looks pretty cool. Those of you who have it? What are your thoughts?

How varied are the armies? Do you have particular favorites?

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Great game - a lot more strategic depth than one might imagine. A lot goes into selecting 2 monster forms, up to 15 units, and up to 12 buildings for your force - not to mention a map!

The city may appear to be background, but selecting your buildings carefully can really swing things your way. Securing certain buildings with your units grants your army particular abilities. Other buildings create hazards when destroyed, which your monster may or may not benefit from. Still others are just great for tossing enemy monsters through for BIG damage.

The dice mechanic is genius - how well you manage your "Action" dice determines how often you can take turns with your Monster, as opposed to your units. Better yet - YOU decide how many dice to chuck for an important attack, reducing the luck factor by a good bit.

Each Faction has it's own feel, but the Monsters within each Faction can vary greatly in playstyle. Though I like the look of the Terrasaurs, I'd say my favorite has got to be the Lords of Cthul.
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker

I've got a bunch of series one stuff that I would like to get rid of. PM if any of you would be interested.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Does anyone have a picture of the Ares Mothership figure next to a heroscape figure? I'm considering it for a custom but don't know anything about the scale. Any other comparison shots of the "UFOs" would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
I've got a bunch of series one stuff that I would like to get rid of. PM if any of you would be interested.
Same here, I collected at the beginning, and then my LGS stopped carrying it, and I had no one to play with. Sad, I really loved that game...
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:58 AM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
So I'm kind of necroing this thread but I was just looking this game over and it looks pretty cool. Those of you who have it? What are your thoughts?
This is gonna sound bad (but its not meant to): if you liken Heroscape to checkers, Monsterpocalypse would be chess...

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures