Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 5th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Welcome to C3V

One of our enterprising members - Thanks, @kevindola ! - dug through our archives for the answer. It turns out that our Art Department at the time determined that the official Valkrill card was kind of terrible, compared to the others, and made some minor alterations to make Valkrill's cards consistent with those of the other generals.

At the level the Art guys were working (and still do work), with large, high resolution images, it just wasn't acceptable.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 5th, 2019, 02:09 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
One of our enterprising members - Thanks, @kevindola ! - dug through our archives for the answer. It turns out that our Art Department at the time determined that the official Valkrill card was kind of terrible, compared to the others, and made some minor alterations to make Valkrill's cards consistent with those of the other generals.

At the level the Art guys were working (and still do work), with large, high resolution images, it just wasn't acceptable.
Wow, such service! Thanks guys for caring enough to dig out the answer. I remember back in 2012 when I picked up my first Valkrill card I thought something was off with it. The new design choice does allow it to compliment utgar more. Red and gold are a bizarre combination. Thanks again!
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I always thought it was because when you print a card, the colors are usually a bit washed out on the physical print, compared to the image on your screen.
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Oh, there are people who probably remember. And I don't think it was an accident. @robbdaman , do you remember why the Valkrill coloring is a little different? I can't remember who else was working on those templates at the time. To my mind, it's a feature and not a bug - given, like I said, the original designers also had minor variations in the cards over the years - but I don't remember.
Valkrill's card was created by a hi-res scan of a card and then re-engineered from that is all I can truly say. I think the less dark ones we tinkered with looked even more washed out than the official cards so I believe we did some print tests to see how they looked in comparison after which I think we determined the richer dark colors looked better but I can't say for certain what the rationale was. It has been a long time after all. Could be to more match the saturation of the other generals. Half the templates were official ones provided by a graphic designer that worked with Hasbro, a source who I can't name but he may still work with Colby.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:21 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Thanks, Rob. I thought you’d remember.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:49 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I think I remember asking about why the Valkrill official cards looked so poor and they were a different printer and quality level compared to the old. More obvious halftone if you look at the closely, cost cutting when they switched to using D&D to keep the game going.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 6th, 2019, 12:09 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Compare these scans for yourself. I've used BftU as a control (since it had very good production quality on the cards and was very close in time to D3).

Feral Troll (BftU) vs. Frost Giant of Morh (D3)

Erevan Sunshadow (BftU) vs. Eltahale (D3)

Tandros Kreel (BftU) vs. Red Wyrmling (D3)

Darrak Ambershard (BftU) vs. Blue Wyrmling (D3)

You can see the D3 ones are less saturated, and it looks like our Art guys from back then decided to reverse engineer what the original cards would have/should have looked like.
Old September 12th, 2019, 12:37 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any of you fine gentlemen have a Valkrill basic side template? I've located the advanced side just not the basic. Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:03 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Anybody want to make the Books for the new units? PM Dad_Scaper if you're interested.
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

Hey folks, the next PAM (Public Access Member) poll is coming up soon. The list of names on the poll mainly comes from internal suggestions based on people who are engaged and involved in our process, or those who we think have cool ideas that we could benefit from.

In light of some of the recent discussion I thought I would give you all a heads up about that before the names get posted.

If you don't think we would have you in mind but you'd like us to have you in mind, please send me a PM with some reasons why you'd be a great 9-month addition to the C3V. Thanks!
Old September 24th, 2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Hey folks, the next PAM (Public Access Member) poll is coming up soon. The list of names on the poll mainly comes from internal suggestions based on people who are engaged and involved in our process, or those who we think have cool ideas that we could benefit from.

In light of some of the recent discussion I thought I would give you all a heads up about that before the names get posted.

If you don't think we would have you in mind but you'd like us to have you in mind, please send me a PM with some reasons why you'd be a great 9-month addition to the C3V. Thanks!
This is great super! I know the community will appreciate you sharing this information. Small steps in the right direction.
Old May 19th, 2020, 11:45 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Hi folks, I'm only going to post about this here one time, as it is a little off-topic. Although I work with C3V as a Designer and SoV as a judge, I am also helping on a similar project to make Lord of the Rings customs. We want to try to serve the community at large with what we make, so please help us out by answering these four quick polls.

To keep this thread on topic, please send any questions or comments to me via PM or to the HoME general discussion thread.

Thanks and I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming... which should be speculating on what will be in C3V's next release, and when it will be!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs