Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 30th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Last night at the regular Tuesday gathering of the BGG Guild "Exit 105 Gamers" (yes, it's a Jersey thing), which I only attend once a month because it's 90+ miles away ... I got to play a "Mission Scenario" for Fantasy Flights' Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game with my new friend Dan and his 16 y/o brother Justin. We had a great time, but it ran for almost three hours (including set up and clean up - because there are a lot of cards and tokens).

I modified a Mission from the GR-75 Transport Guide by stepping it up to 300 vs. 300 points without counting the BIG ship. It was just there as an obstacle and victory condition. Dan and Justin each had a 150 point squadron of Rebel fighters (12 ships) assigned to protect the lumbering large vessel due to its engine malfunction. It could only move forward 2" at the beginning of each round. I controlled three 100 point squadrons of elite Imperial fighter craft (14 ships) intend on eliminating this threat to the legitimate ruling authority in the galaxy and re-establish peace and order in this sector of the universe.

The full length of the 4' x 8' battle board map that I brought proved a little daunting because it took four full turns of straight maximum speed movement (5) just to make contact (ships within range of each other's weapons) with our respective opponent. But it was an excellent opportunity for each of us to practice our maneuvering techniques and the flow of turn order before becoming deeply engaged in the dog flight that followed. Dan and Justin are very new to the game with only having a starter set and a few ships for the past month. I've been playing on and off sporadically for 2 1/2 years, but haven't played in a while and I'm still terrible at it with too many other interests like HeroScape, Co-Ops, and Zombies.

Our early mistakes led to some costly consequences as tight formations fell apart and individuals ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. The next four turns were quite an exciting jumble of events at ships inflicted damage upon each other, twisted and turned to jockey for better positions or to avoid the drifting asteroids and clouds of debris that began appearing where space ships had previously been targeted.

My forces were evenly split numerically (7 went left and 7 right), however my better ships were on my left flank because of my own fear of the Wookiee flown Millenium Falcon which was flying directly up the center of the map. Unfortunately for Justin, his plan became unraveled as collisions brought his momentum to a standstill and his models disappeared from the table.

Although the ships of rebellion sympathizers are quite resilient, he voiced his frustration over the unexpected poor performance of his two bigger ships and loss of confidence in his own strategy. This situation allowed four of my badly damaged, but still functional Royal Guard Tie Interceptors to slip through the gap and target the helpless transport.

Meanwhile, on the right flank, Dan and I both took a fair amount of casualties (ships damaged and ships destroyed). The vapor trails of where each of our ships had circled and swirled would have resembled a bowl of spaghetti. IMO: This battle still could have gone either way, but we ended the game there because of the lateness of the hour and a need to exit the church.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:17 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

That sounds awesome, Johngee. I've been loving X-Wing, more and more. I'll admit that we rarely play more than 200 points (and often 100 or so).

So, October has come and I thought I'd do my monthly update. As you'll see, homework, school, and work has cut way back on our plays (and especially of long games), but September was a fun month:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf 33 - Yeah, that says 33 plays! My kids are just loving this one--and it fits in after a busy night of homework--"Can we play just one One Night before bed?" How can I say no to that. (We recently added Daybreak, which has opened up the variety and I'll admit I'm liking this game more than I used to.)
Heroica: Fortaan 16 - My sons played most of these. They really went on a kick with Heroica. I played a few with them and the family played one together, but they setup some maps on a cardtable and left them up for days, playing every break they got.
Pokémon Trading Card Game 7 - Again, mostly my sons, though I played a couple of these. They just can't get enough of Pokemon. I think they have at least 15 pre-constructed decks at this point that they keep playing and tinkering with.
Memoir '44 4 - My parents got this and an expansion for my sons birthdays (a month apart). Been great playing this one!
Medieval Academy 3 - This has replaced all our other drafting games (for now). Love the board control aspects this adds to card drafting.
Star Wars Force Grab 3 - Cute, fast game. Sort of Jungle Speed meets Spot It! We got it 50% off at B&N.
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game 2 - Picked up another expansion. I have to say I've come to enjoy this game more with each expansion.
Carcassonne 2 - Taught this to some new friends we met. They bought it right after. Looking forward to having some new gamer friends!
DC Comics Deck-Building Game 2 - Got Forever Evil. Good stuff. Still not Ascension, but it's fun and quick, whatever other faults it has.
Quarriors! 2 - Great to pull this one out again. Still too random, but plenty of fun, especially with the advanced rules.
Splendor 2 - Also taught this to our new gamer couple.
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game 2 - Picked up the Tantive for $20 in a CoolStuff ding and dent sale--been so much fun playing the scenarios for that ship. Great times!
Spoiler Alert!

There you go. I cannot believe that I played 30+ games of One Night, but I have to admit, we've been having a lot of family fun with that one. My favorite of the month, though, is X-Wing.
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

20 bucks, LUCKY!

Old October 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I couldn't believe.

The CoolStuff guy saw my son looking at it on the ding and dent shelf and asked him if he wanted it. Brennan said, "Yeah, but I can't afford it." The sales guy looks at me and asks, "How much could he afford?" I said, "$20," and he said, "Sold."

Then I asked if he'd consider doing something similar for my younger son--who was looking at the Rebel Transport--and the sales guy said, "Sure."

Have to say that the CoolStuff team just rocks; they are amazing!

I walked out of there with both of those huge ships--$40 lighter, but with two very, very happy sons!
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:42 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Lucky again. The rest of us can only order online from CSI...
Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Lucky again. The rest of us can only order online from CSI...
(~~~lol~~~) Ditto. I hope you went out and bought a Lottery Ticket after that. I spent more than $40 for each of my huge Rebel ships and shopped around for the best available prices. At the time I thought I was getting a good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
That sounds awesome, Johngee. I've been loving X-Wing, more and more. I'll admit that we rarely play more than 200 points (and often 100 or so).
<~snip/snip~>
Heroica: Fortaan 16 - My sons played most of these. They really went on a kick with Heroica. I played a few with them and the family played one together, but they setup some maps on a cardtable and left them up for days, playing every break they got.
Memoir '44 4 - My parents got this and an expansion for my sons birthdays (a month apart). Been great playing this one!
Carcassonne 2 - Taught this to some new friends we met. They bought it right after. Looking forward to having some new gamer friends!
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie 1 - Yup, the best is still around!
RE: X-Wing - One group that I'm in only plays Star Wars games and is totally into the One-vs.-One competition style tournaments. These guys have become really good and it and still keep 'tweaking' the Best Builds for even more effective domination of opponents. I'm glad that I recently found a few guys in other groups I'm also in, who are new to the game, so I can play more casually for the FUN of the game and get in more of the multi-player, higher point fleet Mission Scenarios where this game really shines.
RE: Heroica - I found one last month at a Thrift Store for $2 and was going to just dump the pieces into the tub of Legos I keep on hand for my grand kids, but when I read the rules and realized that it was 100% complete, decided to keep it intact as is. It actually looks pretty cool and remembered that it got accolades when it was previewed at GenCon a couple years back.
RE: Memoir'44 - I've only played this once several years ago when it was new. I enjoyed it enough to leave on my Wish List. I FINALLY picked up two copies of the basic game this summer at a B&N 50% Sale and still haven't opened the shrink wrap. I may have to make an unexpected journey to the NYC Gang of 4 to get a learning session with @chas whom I know loves the Richard Borg series of C&C light war games.
RE: Carcassonne - I agree this is a great game to introduce new friends and family to the hobby. You've probably read my complaints about it on this thread, but that's only because I've played it so often with the same opponents, that I know what to expect and don't enjoy the meta. Meanwhile I'm often praising the game itself on BGG.
RE: Splendor - I like this one a lot. It's light, quick, fun, and easy to learn. It's one of the games that I've been begging my wife, step-son, and daughter-in-law to TRY, but they're adverse to anything new.
RE: HeroScape - I CONCUR! It's still the best. One group that I'm in meets Tuesday evenings, but plans a quarterly All Day Saturday Events. I've mentioned HS so often when I'm there that they encouraged me to run an HS Demo at the next one. Soooo, I'll be bringing FIVE 4-Player maps and TWENTY 400 pt. Armies there TOMORROW. I'm hoping some willing participants will show up and I can give a positive report next week.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:34 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

JohnGee,

Come ahead! With two basic games, you can play Overlord format too!

Why save 50% cash when you can spend it all and get more stuff? Now, that's good gamer thinking.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Hey, you guys should check out Vassal for X-Wing!
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Been awhile since playing any kind of Scape, so I set up an industrial themed map, using a couple of @Cavalier 's urban maps for the base level and then a bunch of other stuff for the rest.

Batman, Robin (Dick), Flash and Green Arrow vs. Bane, Penguin, Catwoman, Captain Boomerang and Thugs x 2. Bad guys won, as Bane one-punched flash and then later put the smackdown on Bats.

Catwoman with 3 wounds, Bane with 2 wounds, Captain Boomerang with 3 wounds and 1 Thug lived for the win.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool. Looks fun oh Prickly One.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:40 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Star Wars: Armada

Played it earlier today at a local game store with a friend. We just played the basic scenario... I controlled the Rebels against his Imperial fleet. We both really liked it. It took an hour and a half to explain everything but then it only took an hour and a half to play the game itself. I managed to crash my frigate into an asteroid field and the Imperials slaughtered the rest of my Rebel Scum, but it was a hard fought game. Highly recommended!
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Really interesting and imaginative board for Supers! (Can't give you more rep yet).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games