Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 16th, 2015, 12:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

All Hail GrungeBob!

All Hail R˙chean!

Cut off a head, and two more will take its place!

Or something like that...
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Do you guys hear that? I think I hear a Doggin crying. Dund is extra sad now because the Planeswalkers don't even have order makers to remove.
Have him force a discard instead

~Aldin, mono-blue

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
They have a Heroscape section on their forums. Just sayin'....
I'm pretty sure that's colorcrayons' site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:42 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

This game is great. If it gets support it will be something special. If it doesn't, it will be a neat thing to mix in with my Heroscape stuff now and then.

--
@Grishnakh , having now played this game, and having previously played with your custom rules and figures, I will say: this game is closer to Heroscape in mechanics than your (awesome!) work (which sits in the Custom Marvel Heroscape section of the boards). Make of that what you will.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Speaking of conversions, anybody turning Magic cards into Arena cards?

Anybody add Arena card templates to their card creator programs?

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:45 AM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
Speaking of conversions, anybody turning Magic cards into Arena cards?

Anybody add Arena card templates to their card creator programs?
I have an MSE template more or less ready to go, but I don't have good digital images of the cards and haven't felt like making mock-ups yet.
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
@Grishnakh , having now played this game, and having previously played with your custom rules and figures, I will say: this game is closer to Heroscape in mechanics than your (awesome!) work (which sits in the Custom Marvel Heroscape section of the boards). Make of that what you will.
OK, drag me back into this! At least you said my customs were awesome!

MtG: AotP is not billed as a Heroscape game. It doesn't say it's a Heroscape game, it doesn't say it's inspired by Heroscape, it doesn't say it's from the creators of Heroscape, etc. To me it sounds exactly like they are trying to distance themselves from Heroscape. So, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying it's not Heroscape and belongs, at least on our Heroscape site, in Other Games.

Go back and look at BattleMasters. It plainly says from the creators of HeroQuest. In the beginning Heroscape said it was from the creators of HeroQuest. Sadly, at least to me, this new game doesn't acknowledge it's heritage. This is a Magic the Gathering game that does indeed use the Heroscape game engine yet makes no mention of it's source material, or acknowledges it's fan base. Makes me wonder how much input Stephen Baker had in this game's development and if he somehow fought to include the HeroScape/Quest name.

As for my stuff it's posted on a clearly marked Heroscape web site, clearly under the heading Heroscape Comic Hero Custom Creations. I consider my stuff as an add on to the existing Heroscape rules and they work soundly within those rules. If you somehow feel that they are too different a) don't use my rules and b) I would infer from your statement that you think the same of all unofficial customs on this site.

So that's what I made of your statement. Perhaps what I don't get is your point here.

Maybe we should change the title at the top of every page on this site to read:

Your Source for all Things 'Scape! and things that are like 'Scape but don't call themselves 'Scape

Last edited by Grishnakh; July 16th, 2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling issues
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Analogizing...

If I ran a Prince William fan site, source of all things Prince William-y, and he had a kid that he didn't acknowledge, but that I could easily prove was his then... yes, I'd cover the kid on the site too.

~Aldin, bastardly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Analogizing...

If I ran a Prince William fan site, source of all things Prince William-y, and he had a kid that he didn't acknowledge, but that I could easily prove was his then... yes, I'd cover the kid on the site too.

~Aldin, bastardly

I capitulated a few posts back and bowed out of this discussion. At this point I honestly think that the admins should go ahead and make a major heading for this game and be done with it. It seems to be the only recourse at the moment.

As a side note thanks for listening to what I've had to say everyone. I was silent on what I perceived as a major issue with this site once before and I swore I'd never do it again (don't even bother to ask). I tried to express my views yesterday quickly and to the point. Evidently I stuck a nerve with the community.

Now I'm going to try to bow out of this conversation again. Unless anyone wants to drag me back in. For those of you that buy it enjoy the Magic Game!
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Consensus is overrated.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Consensus is overrated.
As if I had any say in the matter in the first place!

Wait, I said I wasn't going to post anymore! Drat!
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:41 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
My one suggestion for this community - if you have ANY hope of ever seeing HeroScape revived - is for all of us to buy this new MtG: AotP product now (even if only for the potential customized figures down the road) to make their initial production run very successful.
Sales of Magic: AotP will not bring back Heroscape as we know it. Yes, Heroscape was cancelled in part due to marketing mistakes by Hasbro, but also because of larger economic shifts Hasbro had no control over, like skyrocketing oil prices, a global recession and rising foreign labor costs. Heroscape, with its affordable prepainted plastic figures and terrain, came along at pretty much the only point in history it could have, and instead of moaning about it being gone we should be thankful we got it in the first place.
I absolutely agree with you @Sherman Davies - There's a 98.6% probability that WE will NEVER see HeroScape come back as WE knew it. And I also agree with @chas 's comments regarding Craig Van Ness having given us a early Christmas present with MtG:AotP. I guess the point that I was trying to make I when I referred to HS being "revived" is *NOT* a re-release of any original Master Sets (as sad as that makes me feel, I believe that it is the TRUTH), but that - more hexagonal tiles and 'compatible' figures will ONLY be produced IF enough customers are asking for them, in order to demonstrate to the Hasbro corporate accountants that a DEMAND for them does exist, which they can profit from. This seems to me to be a more logical and practical approach than the emotional appeals of lamenting the "Good Old Days," complaining about what could have been, and forming a chanting picket line outside their office building. The image of that reminds me of the scene from Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail" movie in which the group of monks are bashing their heads against blocks of wood.

yes, Yes, YES . . . I am VERY thankful that I have a HUGE HeroScape collection, and for ALL the FUN that I've had with it over the past decade. I only wish that I had more local friends to share this experience with. I do miss the "Good Old Days." Not because HS was plentiful (and cheap at Clearance Prices) at all the big-box stores and many FLGS, but because there were just more opportunities to play with it, talk about it, and I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to participate in an occasional regional tournament. I am hopeful for a revival of attitudes toward light, fantasy 'war-gaming' on 3D terrain boards with a hexagonal grid. IF I have to accept customized Magic: The Gathering figures and modified rules to see this goal even partially achieved, THEN that seems like a small enough sacrifice that I am willing to pay. Otherwise I might as well sell all my HS stuff and start to play War Hammer 40K or some other nonsense that has not yet gone OOP.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion