Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Old February 12th, 2018, 07:03 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!
Re: New England Scene Revival

i'm checking out all the maps and will make choices based off of what pieces I have access to to be able to build as many as I can (will take lots of time) and I found where all the maps are. Why does wargrounds of scape only have 3 maps? Am I missing something?

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:07 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I would only select the ARV maps from this Tournament Worthy Thread when selecting ARV maps. These have been judged and tested to be balanced. Some of the others not in this thread from ARV are not.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
i'm checking out all the maps and will make choices based off of what pieces I have access to to be able to build as many as I can (will take lots of time) and I found where all the maps are. Why does wargrounds of scape only have 3 maps? Am I missing something?
Sadly, WoS died out pretty quickly, and they only had those 3 maps inducted by the time it stopped. They are 3 of my favorite maps, though, and they're used in tournaments all the time.

To address your earlier concern about finding people to attend, reaching out to the old members of the community is great, but also don't underestimate those who will just find the thread online and come. Here in Utah we've had an active tournament scene for the past year and most of our regulars hadn't been to a Utah tournament before we started them. (Come to think of it, I'm the only regular who also attended tournaments before Scape was discontinued.) We have some of our veterans come occasionally, but for the most part it's people finding the game or getting back into it and looking for a place to play. So there's a lot of merit to DS's "If you build it, they will come."

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; February 12th, 2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Now I want someone to make a Field of 'Scape movie ...
Old February 12th, 2018, 08:03 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I would only select the ARV maps from this Tournament Worthy Thread when selecting ARV maps. These have been judged and tested to be balanced. Some of the others not in this thread from ARV are not.
That is exactly where I took them from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
Sadly, WoS died out pretty quickly, and they only had those 3 maps inducted by the time it stopped. They are 3 of my favorite maps, though, and they're used in tournaments all the time.

To address your earlier concern about finding people to attend, reaching out to the old members of the community is great, but also don't underestimate those who will just find the thread online and come. Here in Utah we've had an active tournament scene for the past year and most of our regulars hadn't been to a Utah tournament before we started them. (Come to think of it, I'm the only regular who also attended tournaments before Scape was discontinued.) We have some of our veterans come occasionally, but for the most part it's people finding the game or getting back into it and looking for a place to play. So there's a lot of merit to DS's "If you build it, they will come."
Oh ok, didn't find much else on WoS. Kind of feel bad, I hope I use at least 1 from there. Oh yes I completely expect random people to attend because I will be hopefully hosting at a game store but I'll try to tag whoever veteran players I can find.

Old February 12th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The next step is finding the place. The step after that is posting a thread in the Events subforum, including tagging and PMing people.

There is no guarantee you will have twenty people, though I hope you do. Rather, there is the guarantee that if you *don't* do it, then you will have zero people. Just do it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

This is looking good itsbuzzi, it's great that you're thinking about definitely doing this.

Some miscellaneous facts about how many of the northeast tournaments ran back in the day (though not /really/ back in the day, I think my first event was ~2007):

Fees/prizes. Rather than entry-fees we mostly did bring-a-prize. That way everyone left with a prize too, and it felt more like a swap than a cost. A booster was fairly typical, but there'd be Master sets and more at the top end and it wasn't unusual for two people going together to take a booster of two common squads and split it out as two prizes. Of course, this was when boosters were ~$10 and often available for cheaper. During the Nakita glut, I think people would take extra of those just to try to get them off the store shelves. (At one event, someone claimed that as the prize, opened it and took the snow tiles, and put the rest back for someone else).

Structure: Swiss was the most common (and that's what people have been describing here). However, Rolling Rumble was gathering popularity too and we had a good few events using that structure. I think it's fair to say that we were one of the least competitive 'scaping regions.

Maps. We usually discussed these in the event thread. BoV ones were common. There was usually one person in the area on the BoV judging panel and so BoV nominees were often used. Then favourite maps by local 'scapers. There was even an event that used Ruff Stuff. (This was before the other map-endorsement projects existing; no slight intended on them.)

I'd certainly try to make it out. However, I have more commitments in life now and it's right on the edge of a journey I'd make when I was young and less encumbered (3.5hrs?). When the time comes though, I can certainly help spread the word. We can dig up old users here and I'm still in touch elsewhere with a handful of those who aren't around any more.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
This is looking good itsbuzzi, it's great that you're thinking about definitely doing this.

Some miscellaneous facts about how many of the northeast tournaments ran back in the day (though not /really/ back in the day, I think my first event was ~2007):

Fees/prizes. Rather than entry-fees we mostly did bring-a-prize. That way everyone left with a prize too, and it felt more like a swap than a cost. A booster was fairly typical, but there'd be Master sets and more at the top end and it wasn't unusual for two people going together to take a booster of two common squads and split it out as two prizes. Of course, this was when boosters were ~$10 and often available for cheaper. During the Nakita glut, I think people would take extra of those just to try to get them off the store shelves. (At one event, someone claimed that as the prize, opened it and took the snow tiles, and put the rest back for someone else).

Structure: Swiss was the most common (and that's what people have been describing here). However, Rolling Rumble was gathering popularity too and we had a good few events using that structure. I think it's fair to say that we were one of the least competitive 'scaping regions.

Maps. We usually discussed these in the event thread. BoV ones were common. There was usually one person in the area on the BoV judging panel and so BoV nominees were often used. Then favourite maps by local 'scapers. There was even an event that used Ruff Stuff. (This was before the other map-endorsement projects existing; no slight intended on them.)

I'd certainly try to make it out. However, I have more commitments in life now and it's right on the edge of a journey I'd make when I was young and less encumbered (3.5hrs?). When the time comes though, I can certainly help spread the word. We can dig up old users here and I'm still in touch elsewhere with a handful of those who aren't around any more.
Glad to see I'm on the right steps. I really want to do this as I think it'll be super fun! I'm glad you're telling me how past events went. I know when people make an event they try to mimic past events. Here it's a bit harder because of the gap in events.

The fees and prizes were really up in the air for me. I know how they went in the past but now sets are so expensive (I still call the different sized boxes by how expensive they were, $10 for figures, $20 for square boxes, $40 for master sets) I didn't want to break the bank setting this event up and didn't want to deter anyone from coming telling them they need to bring something. So I'm still up in the air on this but would prefer a lower cost, such as the entry fee, just to have a lower cost of entry and thus more people (that's the hope).

It appears that we were in fact one of the less competitive groups and am stuck on which type of event to pick. I used to play MtG competitively and therefore know very well how to run a Swiss but Rolling Rumble seems to be less competitive and so may be more fun but as the TM I feel it may get clustered and disorganized fairly easy if I don't set it up right.

Maps, now I got this one. I used to always make maps at my house to play on but homemade maps can become unbalanced if not created correctly. I like the idea of the APV, WoG and BOV maps because they have been playtested, approved, and work. I downlaoded every single map from these threads (only the finished ones) and will compile a list of what parts they need and will check my inventory to see which combination I can make the most maps (More maps can accommodate more people so why not have more than less)

Thank you for offering to spread the word that would be super helpful. As I have said I would like for sometime in the summer as that seems to be the least busy of time (and there is plenty of time to plan). The location I also wanted to make it semi center from everyone but I don't know who would come so I don't know where to place it. I'm ok with driving a distance but not too too far. So location is still up in the air but I was thinking perhaps lower Mass or Center as that isn't too far from me. If you have where past events were maybe those locations would be happy having us again. Familiar locations may attract new and veteran people alike.

Old February 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

I played in some of the local MA/RI tournaments back in the day and it was a lot of fun. I would definitely be interested in attending and would try to get as many people as possible.
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman-chu View Post
I played in some of the local MA/RI tournaments back in the day and it was a lot of fun. I would definitely be interested in attending and would try to get as many people as possible.
Glad to hear! Was checking past posts to see who to tag when I make the official post and didn't see your name, glad you spoke up.

As it stands I'm thinking about either Easter break or summer (trying to get my friend from college here too) and thinking about past places that hosted and places I know of. These places are in Providence RI, Rehoboth MA, Swansea MA and Warren RI.

I will be working on maps today and am thinking about Swiss or Rolling Rumble, that's to be determined. There may or may not be an entry fee for prizes as actual items are risen in price significantly. Will keep working on it and hoping to post the official thread soon.

Old February 17th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Stop worrying about prizes. Use the entry fee / store credit system. Sometimes people surprise me by bringing prizes to give out to the winner(s), and I'm always glad to take them and then award them in addition to the store credit prizes. But nobody comes for the prizes. Entry fee / store credit and done. Also quit worrying about your format; that's something you can figure out later.

Much bigger issues are (1) where and (2) when. Focus on that.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 17th, 2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Stop worrying about prizes. Use the entry fee / store credit system. Sometimes people surprise me by bringing prizes to give out to the winner(s), and I'm always glad to take them and then award them in addition to the store credit prizes. But nobody comes for the prizes. Entry fee / store credit and done. Also quit worrying about your format; that's something you can figure out later.

Much bigger issues are (1) where and (2) when. Focus on that.
Thanks for the insight. Still working that out. Have lots of potential and need to limit it. Thinking around easter, so I have lots of time. Would try to give about 2 maybe 3 weeks in advance so not worried just thinking a lot.

Old February 18th, 2018, 10:33 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

There was 2 tournaments at the Artist village in Pawtucket that I remember. They were great because I live in Attleboro. I wouldn't worry about prizes and format too much. The big thing is finding the location and enough people to commit. I have a game club at school and all the students love it, but when they find out it's no longer in stores they lose interest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers