Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old December 6th, 2020, 04:48 PM

Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker
Post Your Heroscape "Origin" Story

Did you fall into a vat of radioactive waste and learn to play while you recovered?

Did you get bitten by someone at your local game store and suddenly have a desire to build giant maps?

Did your parents send you to this planet and the only thing you have to remember them is your favorite figure?

Whether your story is more or less dangerous/blatantly plagiarized we'd like to hear it!

So, how'd you get into Heroscape? (Related anecdotes are also welcome)
Old December 6th, 2020, 04:54 PM

Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Your Heroscape "Origin" Story

For me it was my grandparents getting me a set of RotV for my birthday. I had seen an ad on TV and thought "that looks cool" and asked for it without any research. While I likely will never do that with a game again, this one hit it out of the ballpark! I was amazed at the level of detail in the painting on the figures.

Immediately my little brother, my dad, and I starting setting up a field. I believe it was Table of Giants, the really long one with water in the middle and 7-hex tiles used for elevation. My dad read us the rules and we starting playing... the basic version.

Soon enough we were playing master games and my brother and I put every Heroscape thing we could find on our wishlists!
Old December 6th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent thread idea, @myth26 .

For us, it was the same! Sort of. I persuaded my mother that my son should get the RotV set, for *ahem* him, and the story of all of those early games is in my Battle Reports thread.

A few years ago, Craig Van Ness came by the Heroscape tables at GenCon (as he always does, once or twice each 'Con), and in a quiet moment I asked him why the Heroscape community was so much more friendly and welcoming than the communities for other games. Because it is!

He said it's because it's a game that people get - like myth's story, and like mine - to play with their families. I love it. Thanks for starting this thread, myth!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 6th, 2020, 07:32 PM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness
KoS origin story

This is a fun idea! Thanks for starting this thread

My introduction to Heroscape was a pretty similar to yours. Back in, I think, 2005, my uncle got me Rise of the Valkyrie for Christmas, and my brother, my dad, and I had a bunch of fun playing around with the base set maps and figures before beginning rack up expansions and wander into customization. I liked the game so much that I got several of my friends into it (including Superfrog, who ended up getting much more involved in the Scape community than me). Now, almost 15 years later I still play Heroscape with my brother when I'm back home for holidays and this year, thanks to the pandemic, I've gotten into playing online in the OHS events

~KoS, who has a lot of fond childhood memories of completely wacky Heroscape games
Old December 7th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Most folks here have never met me, though around the upper mid-west I have met many, many Scapers. My story is slightly different.

After college I had played D&D a bit, in the late 70's and early 80's. Because of needing to move around for my work, I found myself without an RPG group. I had gotten my first computer - a Commodore Vic-20 - in the very early 80's, and I did play video RPGs. Does anyone remember the game "Sword of Fargoal" for the Vic?

Fast forward to 2004. While wandering through the aisles of a big box store, I saw the HeroScape display bubble. The idea of a game that had a customizable, LEGO-like play area looked interesting. However, it was a bit pricey and I was struggling a bit financially due to my recent divorce. In the following weeks a saw displays in other stores, and I spotted the Volcarren Wasteland terrain expansion set.

Several weeks later that very famous mid-western toy store, Fleet Farm*, had posted their annual Christmas Toy catalog, and in it I saw they had HeroScape for $10 less than the big box stores, so I made the trek there and found there was still two on the shelf. I bought the set. I tried to learn the rules by playing both sides of a battle, using the Basic rules. I tried to get my daughter and son-in-law interested in the game, but they lived 80 miles away. We struggled with the Basic rules, and I pretty much put the game away after Christmas.
* Fleet Farm is only a toy store for the 6 weeks before Christmas. The rest of the year it is a farmer's paradise.

I did some searching on-line and discovered that there were some boosters that added armies to the game. I did buy a few (the Romans and the 4th Mass). I did browse the HQ website, but then after a while it was gone. Years later I came across Heroscapers.com. Along the way I had added the SotM and the Marvel set, and had started to add additional boosters.

Then on Heroscapers I saw @Codeman had posted about a tournament which showed an immense prize table. Prizes sounded like fun, but I would need to wait until the next year. Then I came across a notice concerning a gaming convention in Rochester MN, which is where I lived. They were going to hold a 'Scape tournament. I got signed up and in 2008 I went to my very first Tournament. For the first time I played against someone that 1) I had not taught, and 2) using the not Basic side of the cards. I was quite successful with my army of Stingers, Rats and Q9. Of course, at that time I did not realize that the army was full-cheese. In the games I played that day, every army was I played against was composed of figures that I had never seen. My opponents were very helpful, even up to reminding me to scatter my Rats. I only lost one game, and that was to the eventual tournament winner.

At last I had learned how to play HeroScape! In the last year or two I have not been able to attend local events, but I visit Heroscapers almost every day.

Have fun 'Scaping, everyone!
Old July 14th, 2021, 02:33 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I had a Youth Pastor in high school who taught a friend and I to play. In college, I was rooming with this same friend, and he turns to me one day and says "You know that game Heroscape? We should start our own collections!."

Needless to say, after each of us bought one lot on ebay, he stopped collecting, and I kept going, finishing a "Complete" collection, (at least one of everything) in 2016. I have many memories of stalking ebay looking for good deals on lots, and timing auctions to put a bid in at the last second. I remember sitting in an Old Chicagos with friends, as I waited for an auction of Aquilla's Alliance to end, which I believe I got for something around $116.

I've only made it to one Gencon, back in 2015, but I am stoked to be attending ScapeCon this year.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old July 15th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I played with my cousin who first had the game. I was pretty hooked shortly thereafter and we would always play at family gatherings, although with my more competitive spirit ventured off into the tournament scene as a high schooler.
Old July 16th, 2021, 02:25 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See What got you into Heroscape?, How did you get into heroscape database & Players who got hooked through Marvelscape
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
My Heroscory [sic]:

Was at a retreat around 2004 and someone said a few people were playing a nerdy game. Checked it out, though it was cool and nerdy at same time, but did not play since I never played RPG or strategy game other than Risk or Stratego and because I didn't want to be associated as a "Gamer". Anyway, did not even remember the name of the game till later and decided not for me.

Late 2005, roomate got job at ToysRUs and bought Master Set 1 on company discount. I played it and liked it, and actually got real into building maps for it, but still did not want to buy own set for fear of being "Gamer"

He mentioned Marvel Version was coming out, so I thought "That can't be too nerdy to play with Superheroes" (I know it defies logic) and bought Marvel Set using his company discount. I wanted more land, so also bought Lava set at same time. Soon bought an oversized Batman and Superman action figure on clearance and made hand made cards of Bat & Sup and was a custom Hero junkie from then on.

Later I bought Marro set for land and figures as more of friends played with official characters. I also bought HeroClix figures and designed my own Marvel customs, however it was harder to find anyone I knew willing to play comic heroes as many friends all bought the expansions and feel comic heroes are too powerful. Now am hooked on playing non-comic 'scape, buy expansions, and visit this site a lot.

So I guess I started playing official set, "got hooked" through Marvelsacepe, and am now hooked on normal Heroscape. Put me in the YES list.
That was from 2009 right before my first tournament where I got hooked on competitive scape.
Old July 16th, 2021, 05:44 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I saw SOTM in Wal-Mart for $10 and thought that's reasonable enough to try once with the kids and throw out afterwards. I picked it up probably in October and hid it for Christmas.

At the same time I was looking for Zombies to create a Bloodbowl team. I saw a pack of six and picked up two of them for an instant team.

Once Christmas arrived I open the SOTM with the kids and found out just how good it was...I got hooked. That was in 2008/2009...Too old to remember.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; July 16th, 2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Still growing older...better than the alternative I believe.
Old July 16th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Back in Fall of 2004, my friend and I saw the game for sale for 27 dollars at KB Toys. We weren't quite sure what to make of it, but it had a d20, so that was a good selling point.

Shortly thereafter we fell in love. The sparkly water was what did it mostly for me. I remember thinking, "They are going to have Orc Warriors in an expansion because Grimnak has a power referencing Orc Warriors!" Then we found the official (now defunct) website, and I remember thinking that Slither for the Venoc Vipers sounded really cool but 0 Defense? Come on! In hindsight, the Venocs remain one of my favorite squads.

Old July 17th, 2021, 01:50 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

It's hard for me to have a true "origin" for Heroscape since I've had it since I was so little that I truly don't remember the first moment playing the game. I think I first got it when I was 7 or 8 years old, in 2005. What we played until about 2011 was only kind of Heroscape though. We had a lot of terrain and terrain expansions, but no multiple common squads. And we didn't read all of the powers on the cards. I know we never used bonding or anything. So I would say the origin is in 2011.

In 2011 when I was 13 we picked up the game again after a few years hiatus and I was now old enough to understand what was happening. We played a few games and I read the cards again with a few more years under my belt and realized there was so much of this that I had missed. I had been on Heroscapers in probably 2007-2008, but only to the front page blog to read news about new releases and see pictures of cool maps people had built, never found the forums. At age 13 I was capable of understanding how to navigate a webpage and I made it over to the forum section.

By complete luck I found out that there was a tournament in the city I lived in, so we got into competitive play. That was where we learned the rules of Heroscape for real, and when I really started getting into the forums. Have fond memories of reading the Jexik power ranking thread for the first time and realizing what figures were good, and then getting a win over Jexik just a few months later at a tournament in Chicago in early 2012.
Old July 25th, 2021, 01:59 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I saw the commercial while watching Saturday morning cartoons with my kids. I would ogle the crap out of the Toys R Us display every time we were there. Then I got it for myself for a present from Santa Christmas 2005. Played the game regularly with my son, and whoever else we could rope in for the next 5 or 6 years. Don't play it that much anymore, but I still check up on the community here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online