Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old August 28th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What's for dinner?

I’m all for vegetarian dishes, for the record. I just think things are better when they embrace what they are. I would rather have a meal that features mushrooms and vegetables than one that features something pretending to be meat.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 28th, 2020, 08:28 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I’m all for vegetarian dishes, for the record. I just think things are better when they embrace what they are. I would rather have a meal that features mushrooms and vegetables than one that features something pretending to be meat.
I agree completely, especially if there's a farmer market in town and you can purchase local produce that you can't find in stores. I think a lot of it is accessibility. For instance, it's much easier to buy some Impossible Burger from the store than to learn a new dish. Through my years or experience in kitchens I always ask my coworkers why in America, more so up here in the Northwest than the South, are people on average not the best cooks. Now I know that's generalizing a bit and I understand that there are great home cooks out there but doing research into other countries it always seemed to me that Americans were a bit behind.

The answer, in my opinion, is just that America really is such a young country and up until a couple hundred years ago, we really didn't have a cuisine of our own. Recipes in European family passed down from generations and family meals being a huge party of daily life isn't as much of a thing here. No one in my family can cook so I was never taught until I started in food service and I think cooking can be really daunting for people which is why these fake meat products are so popular.
Old August 29th, 2020, 12:46 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We definitely use portabellos for that, in my house. Especially on evenings when I'm grilling burgers & hot dogs for the meat-eaters.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 29th, 2020, 08:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've been avoiding eating food prepared by others during the Pandemic, finally breaking down for an occasional delivered pizza when one of two gamer pals who are willing dropped by for a one on one game. Then I made a visit to a local pizza shop when it reopened recently. A few days ago I went to the large new City Point Mall in downtown Brooklyn, where a dozen or so of the closed vendors from its basement food court were running tiny booths with tables on the street outside nearby.

So at Pierogi Brothers I had a plate with a kielbasa sausage and some potato and cheese pierogi, with a Polish beer. It felt like a banquet! NYC without restaurants is crummy, and I'll probably break down and visit the local coffee shop for BBQ next, now that they are setting tables outside, which I discovered on my last neighborhood walk about.
Old August 30th, 2020, 10:50 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I've been avoiding eating food prepared by others during the Pandemic, finally breaking down for an occasional delivered pizza when one of two gamer pals who are willing dropped by for a one on one game. Then I made a visit to a local pizza shop when it reopened recently. A few days ago I went to the large new City Point Mall in downtown Brooklyn, where a dozen or so of the closed vendors from its basement food court were running tiny booths with tables on the street outside nearby.

So at Pierogi Brothers I had a plate with a kielbasa sausage and some potato and cheese pierogi, with a Polish beer. It felt like a banquet! NYC without restaurants is crummy, and I'll probably break down and visit the local coffee shop for BBQ next, now that they are setting tables outside, which I discovered on my last neighborhood walk about.
I enjoy joining you on those walkabouts when I come to visit.

Old August 31st, 2020, 10:48 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Coffee shop for BBQ? New York for sure.
Old August 31st, 2020, 05:11 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

[I]Tornado,[/I]

Its one of those huge diners with a 20 page menu! The Greek owner family sent one of their members down south to learn how to do it a couple of years ago. They offer chicken, pork, and beef in various combinations with cool sides too. Not as good as they make down south, or in other BBQ specialty locations, but certainly worth eating!

New York City without restaurants is a sad place indeed. That's why I'm so tempted to go back "already." (Not to mention without everything else its known for).
Old August 31st, 2020, 06:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very cool. Always impressed when cooks travel to learn from the best.
Old September 7th, 2020, 01:27 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
We definitely use portabellos for that, in my house. Especially on evenings when I'm grilling burgers & hot dogs for the meat-eaters.
When I got married I was a pretty heavy meat-eater (as in a meal without meat isn't a meal), but my wife likes lighter fare and my diet has adjusted to include some non-meat meals. One that I LOVE is sweet potato tacos. Still feels hearty and filling to me, and the mixture of textures/tastes is great.

Can't find the exact recipe we use, but something like this. I tend to do tortilla, refried beans, sweet potatoes, avocado, cheese, and then plain greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream.
Old September 7th, 2020, 02:28 AM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thai beef salad. Grilled flank steak, sliced thin against the grain, with cucumber, shredded mint, cilantro, and shallot, in a fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice marinade, with thai spices and toasted rice powder. Yeah, I get down lol
Old September 7th, 2020, 03:30 AM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
When I got married I was a pretty heavy meat-eater (as in a meal without meat isn't a meal), but my wife likes lighter fare and my diet has adjusted to include some non-meat meals. One that I LOVE is sweet potato tacos. Still feels hearty and filling to me, and the mixture of textures/tastes is great.

Can't find the exact recipe we use, but something like this. I tend to do tortilla, refried beans, sweet potatoes, avocado, cheese, and then plain greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream.
Not sure how you prepped your sweet potatoes but if you have a spice mill or mortal and pestle a great way to season them is to lightly toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorn (just until aromatic). Once you have your spice mixture dice your sweet potatoes a bit larger than a brunoise (one sixteenth cubic inch), toss and coat in oil, canola or olive oil, and then toss in seasonings and roast until tender.
Old September 9th, 2020, 11:46 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post

Not sure how you prepped your sweet potatoes but if you have a spice mill or mortal and pestle a great way to season them is to lightly toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorn (just until aromatic). Once you have your spice mixture dice your sweet potatoes a bit larger than a brunoise (one sixteenth cubic inch), toss and coat in oil, canola or olive oil, and then toss in seasonings and roast until tender.
That's about the size we use, maybe a bit smaller. And the mix we use is cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, salt, and chili powder (total of 5.5 tsp with 0.5, 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1 respectively per 2 lbs sweet potato), so similar. The coriander sounds interesting, I'll try it out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General