Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old April 6th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
TAF's Customs FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - AMON HEN

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
5/5 - Amon Hen - 5/5

“Soon he came out alone on the summit of Amon Hen, and halted, gasping for breath. He saw as through a mist a wide flat circle, paved with mighty flags, and surrounded with a crumbling battlement; and in the middle, set upon four carven pillars, was a high seat, reached by a stair of many steps. Up he went and sat upon the ancient chair, feeling like a lost child that had clambered upon the throne of mountain-kings.

At first he could see little. He seemed to be in a world of mist in which there were only shadows: the Ring was upon him. Then here and there the mist gave way and he saw many visions: small and clear as if they were under his eyes upon a table, and yet remote. There was no sound, only bright living images. The world seemed to have shrunk and fallen silent. He was sitting upon the Seat of Seeing, on Amon Hen, the Hill of the Eye of the Men of Númenor. Eastward he looked into wide uncharted lands, nameless plains, and forests unexplored. Northward he looked, and the Great River lay like a ribbon beneath him, and the Misty Mountains stood small and hard as broken teeth. Westward he looked and saw the broad pastures of Rohan; and Orthanc, the pinnacle of Isengard, like a black spike. Southward he looked, and below his very feet the Great River curled like a toppling wave and plunged over the falls of Rauros into a foaming pit; a glimmering rainbow played upon the fume. And Ethir Anduin he saw, the mighty delta of the River, and myriads of sea-birds whirling like a white dust in the sun, and beneath them a green and silver sea, rippling in endless lines.

But everywhere he looked he saw the signs of war. The Misty Mountains were crawling like anthills: orcs were issuing out of a thousand holes. Under the boughs of Mirkwood there was deadly strife of Elves and Men and fell beasts. The land of the Beornings was aflame; a cloud was over Moria; smoke rose on the borders of Lórien.

Horsemen were galloping on the grass of Rohan; wolves poured from Isengard. From the havens of Harad ships of war put out to sea; and out of the East Men were moving endlessly: swordsmen, spearmen, bowmen upon horses, chariots of chieftains and laden wains. All the power of the Dark Lord was in motion. Then turning south again he beheld Minas Tirith. Far away it seemed, and beautiful: white-walled, many-towered, proud and fair upon its mountain-seat; its battlements glittered with steel, and its turrets were bright with many banners. Hope leaped in his heart. But against Minas Tirith was set another fortress, greater and more strong. Thither, eastward, unwilling his eye was drawn. It passed the ruined bridges of Osgiliath, the grinning gates of Minas Morgul, and the haunted Mountains, and it looked upon Gorgoroth, the valley of terror in the Land of Mordor. Darkness lay there under the Sun. Fire glowed amid the smoke. Mount Doom was burning, and a great reek rising. Then at last his gaze was held: wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant, he saw it: Barad-dûr, Fortress of Sauron. All hope left him.” -Fellowship of the Ring

"Le aphadar aen." (You are being tracked) -Fellowship of the Ring

While at Lórien Aragorn is given a hunting knife which he uses for the remainder of the trilogy. It is a powerful weapon that can be thrown, but as Lurtz demonstrates in the film, it can also be thrown right back.

"'Eat little at a time, and only at need. For these things are given to serve you when all else fails. The cakes will keep sweet for many many days, if they are unbroken and left in their leaf-wrappings, as we have brought them. One will keep a traveler on his feet for a day of long labour, even if he be one of the tall Men of Minas Tirith.'" -Fellowship of the Ring

Lembas bread is given to the Fellowship by the Elves of Lórien for the long journey to Mordor. Instead of attacking one can heal up to 3 wounds with it, making it best suited away from the heat of combat. Its flavor keeps far better than Cram.

"'You've no guts outside your own sties. But for us you'd all have run away. We are the fighting Uruk-hai! We slew the great warrior. We took the prisoners. We are the servants of Saruman the Wise, the White Hand: the Hand that gives us man's-flesh to eat. We came out of Isengard, and led you here, and we shall lead you back by the way we choose.'" -The Two Towers

The Uruk-Hai scouts who hunt the Fellowship to Amon Hen have perhaps the most obvious choices to me: Tracking for the sake of outrunning their prey. Their Small Abduct power can also immobilize and carry enemy Small figures, but only those not under the protection of a nearby Medium or Larger figure. As Saruman's Uruk-Hai seem to have a diehard loyalty to their master—even more so than Sauron's Orcs—the General of Ozirael seems like the best choice.

"Do you know how the Orcs first came into being? They were elves once, taken by the dark powers, tortured and mutilated. A ruined and terrible form of life. Now... perfected. My fighting Uruk-Hai. Whom do you serve?"

"...Saruman!" -Fellowship of the Ring

Lurtz is strong in melee combat as one would expect, but his strength comes in the form of his Longbow Special Attack, which reduces defense against wounded heroes (especially useful against Boromir's One Shield Defense). He can also command the other Uruk Scouts, enabling them to outmaneuver the Fellowship's defenders with their superior numbers.

That brings us to the end of Fellowship. As always let me know what you think.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; May 26th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old April 10th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: TAF's Customs FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - AMON HEN

I like a lot of your LotR customs overall! Here are some thoughts on the most recent set, along with a couple of others that caught my attention:

I love the idea of having some Treasure Glyphs and the forces of good mostly being heroes against some evil common squads. It feels very thematic. I'm not a huge fan of Lembas Bread, but that's entirely because it feels like a stronger Potion of Healing. That's mostly true for Bonding Heroes or in Classic Scape, though, since the flexibility to be able to use the Bread any time instead of after just revealing an Order Marker is quite powerful, even if it requires giving up an attack.

Mechanically, I feel like Abduct could be very powerful and/or frustrating for the Hobbits since it actively prevents them from doing anything for potentially the rest of the game if things are set up well enough (especially with Lurtz' movement power). Perhaps limiting it to only remove their ability to move or make LEAs would help? That way they could at least make an attack to try to free themselves, even if there are plenty of other Orcs surrounding them and making the attempt mostly futile.

Is Abduct intended to work against opposing small figures that are adjacent to medium+ figures that player controls, or medium+ figures friendly to that player?

Lurtz is super thematic as a captain, I think. I really like how instead of normal bonding, he has a movement activation synergy that ties really nicely into Abduct. Longbow SA is also downright nasty; the movement restriction is a good way of keeping it in check since he has to be developed somewhat independently, though. I'm not sure that I love that each power is completely mutually exclusive, but that's definitely for the best given how strong they are. I like how Longbow counters Boromir, too, if Boromir is already wounded.

Speaking of Boromir, the interaction between Horn of Gondor and One Shield Defense is pretty interesting. Most of the time, he'll probably only be able to reinforce one figure... But on the off chance that he whiffs and kicks the bucket early, he can potentially get a lot of leverage out of moving his allies. I assume that Horn of Gondor is intended to work even if he receives enough wounds to be destroyed?

The Balrog seems very powerful for its points to me. Attack subtraction is a very strong defensive power, especially as a passive benefit at 6 spaces on an 8L/4D figure. It's not quite as good as Raelin, but it's still better than a +1D, 5-range aura against all melee armies. With range, it's a bit easier to take down the Balrog, of course, but that's still a huge aura size to have to work around. Couple that with Jotun-like stats (losing out on 2 move and 1A for +1L and Whirlwind Strike/Chain Grab) and it seems a little crazy. I think that either bumping up the points or decreasing the aura size would help here. Of course, adding more Valiant figures capable of killing the Balrog also helps, too, if you were planning to make a Gandalf the White with better offensive power as well. The Fellowship will just be in a lot of trouble if they don't have Gandalf, then, which isn't unthematic.

That's all the time that I have for now, but I'll try to stop in again sometime to check out the Fellowship itself again. Nice work on these customs!
Old April 10th, 2021, 03:19 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
I love the idea of having some Treasure Glyphs and the forces of good mostly being heroes against some evil common squads. It feels very thematic.
It felt like an obvious choice for Lord of the Rings (or any other franchise adapted to Heroscape) since a lot of the iconic tools and weapons are given to the heroes throughout their journey rather than the beginning. It also keeps the heroes' cards from having too many powers and way too much text for my taste.

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Lembas Bread, but that's entirely because it feels like a stronger Potion of Healing. That's mostly true for Bonding Heroes or in Classic Scape, though, since the flexibility to be able to use the Bread any time instead of after just revealing an Order Marker is quite powerful, even if it requires giving up an attack.
I wasn't overfond of it myself because it felt like a weaker Potion of Healing. Knowing that they're good for different reasons actually makes me feel better about the card. I'd completely forgotten about the OM requirement for Potion of Healing.

Quote:
Is Abduct intended to work against opposing small figures that are adjacent to medium+ figures that player controls, or medium+ figures friendly to that player?
I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how Friendly figures to an opponent would be worded in an Official-sounding way "Figures friendly to that opponent...?" "Figures an opponent controls...?" Or would it already work like that because it doesn't specify "that" opponent?

Quote:
Lurtz is super thematic as a captain, I think. I really like how instead of normal bonding, he has a movement activation synergy that ties really nicely into Abduct.
For these customs and the ones in the coming sets I did everything in my power to avoid having straight-up Bonding. Obviously existing bonding units would further strengthen some of these (like Knights for Boromir or Axegrinders for Gimli), though I wouldn't advise mixing these and classic together (not unless you want Gandalf moving up to 4 cheerleaders for free each turn).

Quote:
I assume that Horn of Gondor is intended to work even if he receives enough wounds to be destroyed?
Yes. I'll make a note of that in the FAQ.

Quote:
The Balrog seems very powerful for its points to me. Attack subtraction is a very strong defensive power, especially as a passive benefit at 6 spaces on an 8L/4D figure. It's not quite as good as Raelin, but it's still better than a +1D, 5-range aura against all melee armies. With range, it's a bit easier to take down the Balrog, of course, but that's still a huge aura size to have to work around. Couple that with Jotun-like stats (losing out on 2 move and 1A for +1L and Whirlwind Strike/Chain Grab) and it seems a little crazy. I think that either bumping up the points or decreasing the aura size would help here. Of course, adding more Valiant figures capable of killing the Balrog also helps, too, if you were planning to make a Gandalf the White with better offensive power as well. The Fellowship will just be in a lot of trouble if they don't have Gandalf, then, which isn't unthematic.
I should've bumped up his points; an earlier rendition of the card had his aura affect all figures (as the Balrog terrified and scattered the goblins as well) and I mucked up on carrying that over

Thank you for the feedback!

~TAF

EDIT: Updated the Balrog to correct the power + raise his points

Last edited by TheAverageFan; April 10th, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:30 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I love the ability names: FIND THE HALFLINGS, and ABDUCT. So hilarious, I can hear that first one in the voice of Lurtz from the movie

Continuing on Lurtz, I like how you are referencing his mannerisms from the movie (seeing as how he was a movie-only character). Walk slowly, pull the bow back deliberately and then fire. Also, Uruk-hai scouts make sense in my mind being equal to the Heavy Gruts in terms of A/D since they are going to be bigger and stronger than orcs but these ones are fitted to MOVE and pursue and go after a specific target which is further supported by Tracking.

I kinda wish the Elven Bread just made you move a few more spaces when you ate it, because it is meant to be traveling food but I definitely understand it healing.

The knife glyph is nifty, good thinking on having it be weaker on bigger creatures and subsequently more deadly on things that a knife should kill more easily.

That's just comments on the more recent stuff, I'll probably pull back around later and look through more LoTR definitely my favorite IP.
Old April 16th, 2021, 06:08 PM

TAF's Customs THE TWO TOWERS - HEROES OF THE DEAD MARSHES

Thank you for the feedback, Shiftrex! And you're in luck if LotR is your favorite IP as I am just now moving on to The Two Towers as of right now:

THE TWO TOWERS
1/5 - Heroes of the Dead Marshes - 1/5

“But Saruman had slowly shaped it to his shifting purposes, and made it better, as he thought, being deceived - for all those arts and subtle devices, for which he forsook his former wisdom, and which fondly he imagined were his own, came but from Mordor; so that what he made was naught, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, armoury, prison, furnace of great power, Barad-dûr, the Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding its time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength.” –The Two Towers

"...Don't suppose I could have one of those nice shiny daggers?" -Fellowship of the Ring

While in Lórien Samwise Gamgee is given some Elvish Rope, without which the Fellowship could never navigate the terribly steep slopes and crevices of the Emyn Muil. With the rope Sam and nearby units can increase their height and movement when climbing down, able to scale down walls to the point where they can safely drop without incurring falling damage.

”Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee--but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.” –The Two Towers

Gollum reminds me a great deal of Marcu Esenwein, and as such he has several similarities: high move, high attack, low cost, and Eternal Hatred. He can also use We Wants It to steal Treasure Glyphs such as Lembas Bread or even the One Ring. Low life and defense keeps his thieving in check however. Given his split personality, Aritima is a shoe-in for General.

”'Who are they? What are they?' asked Sam shuddering, turning to Frodo, who was now behind him.

'I don't know,' said Frodo in a dreamlike voice. 'But I have seen them too. In the pools when the candles were lit. They lie in all the pools, pale faces, deep deep under the dark water. I saw them: grim faces and evil, and noble faces and sad. Many faces proud and fair, and weeds in their silver hair. But all foul, all rotting, all dead. A fell light is in them.' Frodo hid his eyes in his hands. 'I know not who they are; but I thought I saw there Men and Elves, and Orcs beside them.'

'Yes, yes,' said Gollum. 'All dead, all rotten. Elves and Men and Orcs. The Dead Marshes. There was a great battle long ago, yes, so they told him when Smeagol was young, when I was young before the Precious came. It was a great battle. Tall Men with long swords, and terrible Elves, and Orcses shrieking. They fought on the plain for days and months at the Black Gates. But the Marshes have grown since then, swallowed up the graves; always creeping, creeping.'” –The Two Towers

The specters of the dead among the Marshes are deadly. While their move value is terrible, their ability to lure travelers closer with Lull Away 14 can make up for it. Once the prey is near, Hypnotic Grip will immobilize them until they are dead or until an ally is there to snap them out of it. As death has made all the soldiers of the marshes equal in their terror and measure, Hekatiane seemed like the right General.

”The great shadow descended like a falling cloud. And behold! it was a winged creature: if bird, then greater than all other birds, and it was naked, and neither quill nor feather did it bear, and its vast pinions were as webs of hide between horned fingers; and it stank. A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all other things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed.” –Return of the King

The Nine return upon the backs of new Fell Beasts. They don't have space for Rejected By Death, but their powerful stats and swooping, harrying attacks more than make up for it. Between Swooping Attack and Persistent Assault they can continue movement after attacking and even during opponent's turns. Their foes will hardly be spared by fleeing. A scenario between the Hobbits and these will likely require some form of hiding mechanic in order to pass safely through the marshes.

As always let me know what you think.

~TAF

Old April 17th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: TAF's Customs THE TWO TOWERS - HEROES OF THE DEAD MARSHE

Ok, some more LoTR things

Elvish Rope - This seems like a nifty glyph, it does seem like it'll be focused on helping them smaller figures. I suppose a question I have is how does this interaction with current versions of Climb x2/3? Otherwise, I like this because it can help our hobbits to scale some outcrops or the secret stairs to the tunnel of our spider queen. No problems here for me.

Gollum - This is a cool place to use eternal hatred, very thematic when it goes off because our ring obsessed friend is quite the turncoat and never really is in it for anything but the ring. I like that his stats let you make use of the climb x2 really well and that he can move quick enough to get up there and strangle a target evokes good images.

Marsh Spectre - I like this card thematically a lot, except the part where it lava dunks figures XD and counting the minimum number of spaces seems to work out well here. I think the only suggestion I'd have for it is allowing the opponent to be the one moving the figure. Then they still have a bit of control over things but with a stipulation, I know that it'll probably feel better in practice (less like straight up control, more like an effect to try and turn into a benefit). Maybe that doesn't work very well for theme though, in which case it's best to stay where it is at

Wraiths on WIIINGS - I like this figure a lot, it is terrifying and definitely will be great in scenario play. The movement after attacking is evocative of a lot of movie scenes, stealth flying works really well here and so does persistent assault. Was the intent to have figures take a leaving engagement hit and then STILL not be able to shake the wraith? That's monstrous and really awesome. An Uncommon hero with this amount of power is incredible and fits the ring wraiths really well as a group. You don't want to fight them, you just want to never be near them.
Old April 17th, 2021, 06:42 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I will do my best to write more feedback at a later date, when I’m not buried under a mountain of work, but I want to say I love love love what you’ve done with these customs. Adapting Soundwarp’s additional generals to the task is an excellent solution to the problem of Middle-Earth being more complex than Valhalla, and the powers, the theme, they’re just on-point. I can’t wait to bust these out for a LotR scenario one day. I’d +rep, but I’m out of ammunition.
Old April 18th, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex
I suppose a question I have is how does this interaction with current versions of Climb x2/3?
It makes that figure super, super tall, which probably won't matter much since their movement will likely run out before their height. It'd make them be able to drop down safely from quite a height, though I'm not sure if ceasing to climb down and dropping disables both powers since it only applies while climbing Since none of the Hobbits have Climb X2 despite their short height, it won't be a factor anyway.

Quote:
Marsh Spectre - I like this card thematically a lot, except the part where it lava dunks figures XD and counting the minimum number of spaces seems to work out well here. I think the only suggestion I'd have for it is allowing the opponent to be the one moving the figure.
There shouldn't be lava in the Dead Marshes, and even if you were playing on a competitive map with drafted armies it would still be moderately difficult to set up a lava dunk simply because the Specter is so slow to move into a suitable position. There'd need to be lava close to your Start Zone.

Comparatively it'd be much easier to cheese if the figure's controller got to move them. It'd take a lot more wording to get around just moving the figure back and forth and generally only ending up one space closer by the end to satisfy the condition. In the end the lava-dunking version proved simpler, and you can already do it with Official units thanks to the Mind Flayer Mastermind.

Quote:
Was the intent to have figures take a leaving engagement hit and then STILL not be able to shake the wraith?
Yes. The Wraiths do not stop the attack until something forces them to (like Gandalf or the eagles for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn
I will do my best to write more feedback at a later date, when I’m not buried under a mountain of work, but I want to say I love love love what you’ve done with these customs. Adapting Soundwarp’s additional generals to the task is an excellent solution to the problem of Middle-Earth being more complex than Valhalla, and the powers, the theme, they’re just on-point. I can’t wait to bust these out for a LotR scenario one day. I’d +rep, but I’m out of ammunition.
Thanks, any comment on a creator's thread gets that dopamine pumping so I much appreciate it Soundwarp's generals do greatly ease the faction-to-general decision making. I'd have a very hard time placing the Isengard faction under any flag but Ozirael for example--nothing else feels right. Stay tuned for further updates

~TAF

Old April 18th, 2021, 08:22 PM

TAF's Customs THE TWO TOWERS - BATTLE OF THE HORNBURG

THE TWO TOWERS
2/5 - Battle of the Hornburg (Defenders) - 2/5

"Who am I, Gamling?"

"You are our king, sire."

"And do you trust your king?"

"Your men, my lord, will follow you to whatever end."

“To whatever end...
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow.
The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
...How did it come to this?” –The Two Towers

"These are no soldiers."

"Most have seen too many winters."

"Or too few." -The Two Towers

Rohan Infantrymen make for versatile defenders, having solid stats (similar to the Tarn Vikings seemed appropriate) and the ability to throw their spears and javelins from castle ramparts with Lob Weapons. They can also cover for their Heroes with For the King!, making escape for your valuable Heroes much easier. Despite being shared with the Elves, Ullar seemed right for the choice of General, being the ever-loyal and often-unsung ally of the main good Valkyrie.

”Gamling the Old looked down from the Hornburg, hearing the great voice of the dwarf above all the tumult. 'The Orcs are in the Deep!' he cried. 'Helm! Helm! Forth Helmingas!' he shouted as he leaped down the stair from the Rock with many men of Westfold at his back.

Their onset was fierce and sudden, and the Orcs gave way before them. Ere long they were hemmed in in the narrows of the gorge, and all were slain or driven shrieking into the chasm of the Deep to fall before the guardians of the hidden caves.” –The Two Towers

Gamling is a loyal captain, providing boosts to his nearby men with Defensive Aura 1 while also providing a powerful attack with Paired Attack 1. Since he often accompanies his king, powers that benefit or trigger off allies seemed appropriate.

”'I fret in this prison,' said Theoden. 'If I could have set a spear in rest, riding before my men upon the field, maybe I could have felt again the joy of battle, and so ended. But I serve little purpose here.'

'Here at least you are guarded in the strongest fastness of the Mark,' said Aragorn. 'More hope we have to defend you in the Hornburg than in Edoras, or even at Dunharrow in the mountains.'

'It is said that the Hornburg has never fallen to assault,' said Theoden; 'but now my heart is doubtful. The world changes, and all that once was strong now proves unsure. How shall any tower withstand such numbers and such reckless hate? Had I known that the strength of Isengard was grown so great, maybe l should not so rashly have ridden forth to meet it, for all the arts of Gandalf. His counsel seems not now so good as it did under the morning sun.'

'Do not judge the counsel of Gandalf, until all is over, lord,' said Aragorn.

'The end will not be long,' said the king. 'But I will not end here, taken like an old badger in a trap. Snowmane and Hasufel and the horses of my guard are in the inner court. When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth. Will you ride with me then, son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song, if any be left to sing of us hereafter.'

'I will ride with you,' said Aragorn.” –The Two Towers

Théoden primarily serves as a commanding unit similar to Omegacron: his Théoden's Orders ability not only eases Order Marker management for Ullar Humans but enables you to mix and match their Move and Attack. This allows him to Move with certain units and Attack with others, allowing easier repositioning of him, Gamling, or Rohan Infantry during combat. He also provides Attack Aura 1 to empower nearby melee units in the heat of battle (remember that it cannot work with Lob Weapons).

"'I wish there were more of your kin among us. But even more would I give for a hundred good archers of Mirkwood.'" -The Two Towers

Although the Men of Rohan have historically been weary of the Elves of Lórien, in the films they join together to fight the threat of Isengard. Lórien soldiers may have poor defense for their cost, but they more than make up for it with the tremendously powerful Arc Arrows Special Attack, an arcing Explosion attack for 6 which can lay waste to incoming attackers. It can even be used safely from behind the Deeping Wall. Once engaged they also possess Close Combat which turns them into more survivable 3/3's. Lastly Elven Step is a given.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance." -The Two Towers

Haldir meanwhile provides a decent melee option in battle, having both Double Attack and Elven Step. His death also provides a Movement and Attack boost to your army, but only until the end of the Round.

~TAF

Last edited by TheAverageFan; September 12th, 2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old April 19th, 2021, 03:01 PM

THE TWO TOWERS
3/5 - Battle of the Hornburg (Attackers) - 3/5

"A new power is rising. Its victory is at hand!

This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan! March to Helm's Deep! Leave none alive!

...To war!" –The Two Towers

”'Yet there are many that cry in the Dunland tongue,' said Gamling. 'I know that tongue. It is an ancient speech of men, and once was spoken in many western valleys of the Mark. Hark! They hate us, and they are glad; for our doom seems certain to them. 'The king, the king!' they cry. 'We will take their king. Death to the Forgoil! Death to the Strawheads! Death to the robbers of the North!' Such names they have for us. Not in half a thousand years have they forgotten their grievance that the lords of Gondor gave the Mark to Eorl the Young and made alliance with him. That old hatred Saruman has inflamed. They are fierce folk when roused. They will not give way now for dusk or dawn, until Théoden is taken, or they themselves are slain.'” –The Two Towers

Saruman's army is more than just Uruks: it also contains a large number of Dunlendings, who despise the Rohirrim enough to fight alongside orcs in order to wipe them out. The Wild Men are inexpensive and easy to kill, but they are fast and strong with the combination of Indomitable and Scatter. Since they don't have Disengage like the rats do, Scatter is better used for advancing than retreating, helping them cover great distances or engage the enemy. The Dunlending Warriors meanwhile have Wild Onslaught, giving them the ability to reroll a missed attack, though only one in the squad can do so per turn. Being wild, Ragnar seems appropriate.

”At last Aragorn stood above the great gates, heedless of the darts of the enemy. As he looked forth he saw the eastern sky grow pale. Then he raised his empty hand, palm outward in token of parley.

The Orcs yelled and jeered. 'Come down! Come down!' they cried. 'If you wish to speak to us, come down! Bring out your king! We are the fighting Uruk-hai. We will fetch him from his hole, if he does not come. Bring out your skulking king!'

'The king stays or comes at his own will,' said Aragorn.

'Then what are you doing here?' they answered. 'Why do you look out? Do you wish to see the greatness of our army? We are the fighting Uruk-hai.'

'I looked out to see the dawn,' said Aragorn.

'What of the dawn?' they jeered. 'We are the Uruk-hai: we do not stop the fight for night or day, for fair weather or for storm. We come to kill, by sun or moon. What of the dawn?'

'None knows what the new day shall bring him,' said Aragorn. 'Get you gone, ere it turn to your evil.'

'Get down or we will shoot you from the wall,' they cried. 'This is no parley. You have nothing to say.'

'I have still this to say,' answered Aragorn. 'No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg. Depart, or not one of you will be spared. Not one will be left alive to take back tidings to the North. You do not know your peril.'

So great a power and royalty was revealed in Aragorn, as he stood there alone above the ruined gates before the host of his enemies, that many of the wild men paused, and looked back over their shoulders to the valley, and some looked up doubtfully at the sky. But the Orcs laughed with loud voices; and a hail of darts and arrows whistled over the wall, as Aragorn leaped down.” –The Two Towers

The fighting Uruk-Hai of Isengard may not be as large as Sauron's armies, but they make up for it by being well armed and organized. With Uruk Ferocity, they can defeat all but the strongest of foes (Heroes). The infantry also possess Shield Wall, making them 4/4's in the right situation. Berserkers meanwhile can be the equivalent of 5/6's with Tough, and their Reckless Cleave can tear through nearby Squad figures (even their own). Crossbowmen have Besieging Shot, a deadly power that makes them especially effective against castle defenders. Lastly the Uruk Lancers have Reach and Braced Spear 16 (the Cathar Spearmen are just too well-designed for other pikemen to have anything else ).

The Uruk-Hai Commander is the Kato Katsuro to Théoden's Omegacron. His Isengard Command will give the attackers exactly what they need to overcome the defenses of a castle: more activations, though that benefit stops once the troops are behind the walls and can no longer be seen by the Commander.

~TAF

Old April 21st, 2021, 04:20 PM

THE TWO TOWERS
4/5 - Battle of the Hornburg (Reinforcements) - 4/5

"There was a roar and a blast of fire. The archway of the gate above which he had stood a moment before crumbled and crashed in smoke and dust. The barricade was scattered as if by a thunderbolt. Aragorn ran to the king's tower.

But even as the gate fell, and the Orcs about it yelled, preparing to charge, a murmur arose behind them, like a wind in the distance, and it grew to a clamour of many voices crying strange news in the dawn. The Orcs upon the Rock, hearing the rumour of dismay, wavered and looked back. And then, sudden and terrible, from the tower above, the sound of the great horn of Helm rang out.

All that heard that sound trembled. Many of the Orcs cast themselves on their faces and covered their ears with their claws. Back from the Deep the echoes came, blast upon blast, as if on every cliff and hill a mighty herald stood. But on the walls men looked up, listening with wonder; for the echoes did not die. Ever the horn-blasts wound on among the hills; nearer now and louder they answered one to another, blowing fierce and free.

'Helm! Helm!' the Riders shouted. 'Helm is arisen and comes back to war. Helm for Théoden King!'

And with that shout the king came. His horse was white as snow, golden was his shield, and his spear was long. At his right hand was Aragorn, Elendil's heir, behind him rode the lords of the House of Eorl the Young. Light sprang in the sky. Night departed.

'Forth Eorlingas!' With a cry and a great noise they charged. Down from the gates they roared, over the causeway they swept, and they drove through the hosts of Isengard as a wind among grass. Behind them from the Deep came the stern cries of men issuing from the caves, driving forth the enemy. Out poured all the men that were left upon the Rock. And ever the sound of blowing horns echoed in the hills.

On they rode, the king and his companions. Captains and champions fell or fled before them. Neither orc nor man withstood them. Their backs were to the swords and spears of the Riders and their faces to the valley. They cried and wailed, for fear and great wonder had come upon them with the rising of the day.” –The Two Towers

"For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City." -Return of the King

The Riders of Rohan may very well be the most elite troops in Middle Earth during the War of the Ring, routing the forces of Isengard and Mordor alike. As such they are a more deadly variant of the Templar Cavalry, boasting better defense and the ability to plow through clustered groups with their Trample Charge. With Infantry Rout, they will have an easy time cutting their way through weaker squads. Naturally they carry a hefty price tag for such.

"Then without taking council or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'" -Return of the King

Éomer's vengefulness against evil and his feats of battle could only be personified with Bloodlust to me, allowing him to strengthen with each kill until he's ready to take down Mûmakil by the time of RotK. He also grants a movement bonus to nearby Riders, making them even stronger at their job as shock troops.

"There suddenly upon a ridge appeared a rider, clad in white, shining in the rising sun. Over the low hills the horns were sounding. Behind him, hastening down the long slopes, were a thousand men on foot; their swords were in their hands. Amid them strode a man tall and strong. His shield was red. As he came to the valley's brink, he set to his lips a great black horn and blew a ringing blast.

'Erkenbrand!' the Riders shouted. 'Erkenbrand!'" -The Two Towers

Erkenbrand has rallied and gathered the scattered troops of the battles on the fords of Isen and has brought them to Helm's Deep. With Rally the Scattered he can reposition nearby forces whenever one of your Ullar squads is killed, making for faster reaction against losses. He also provides a defense buff for nearby knights, making the precious, expensive Rohirrim more difficult to kill.

"Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.

I am Gandalf the White, And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide." -The Two Towers

Gandalf the White is a stronger version of Gandalf the Grey, being faster and carrying a more powerful toolkit. His Light of the Valar will repel the forces of evil within a large radius, disabling enemy powers during your turn such as the Uruk Lancers' Braced Spear 16 or the Ringwraith's Persistent Assault. Guide the West lets you move a Fellowship's worth of figures after he takes his turn, making the positioning of your units extremely easy.

"A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -The Two Towers

Treebeard's toolkit is very similar to Mok's although he doesn't demand to hold onto his shoulder-riders for the entire game. He carries an impressive attack value as well as Lob Stones Special Attack. Lastly his Long Stride lets him walk through fields of smaller foes with relative ease. As a force of nature Ragnar seemed the right choice of general, this time unleashed upon the forces of evil.

~TAF

Last edited by TheAverageFan; September 15th, 2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 01:54 PM

TAF's Customs THE TWO TOWERS - ITHILIEN & SHELOB'S LAIR

THE TWO TOWERS
5/5 - Ithilien & Shelob's Lair - 5/5

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace” –The Two Towers

"'But fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her, so, using the weapon of the Dark Lord for her good and my glory. No. I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo.'

'Neither did the Council,' said Frodo. 'Nor do I. I would have nothing to do with such matters.'

'For myself,' said Faramir, 'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.'" -The Two Towers

Faramir, Captain of Gondor, carries a varied toolset. His arrows are effective against the winged Nazgûl thanks to Sky Watcher, enabling him to defend Frodo against attacks from above. With Gondor Attack Ehancement he also provides an attack buff to Soldiers and Rangers who follow Einar, making for a deadly pod. Lastly he like Frodo has a better chance of resisting the Ring due to Man of Quality giving him a buff on d20 rolls for Glyphs and Game Scenarios.

"After a while he spoke to them; but they were slow and cautious in answering. They named themselves Mablung and Damrod, soldiers of Gondor, and they were Rangers of Ithilien; for they were descended from folk who lived in Ithilien at one time, before it was overrun. From such men the Lord Denethor chose his forayers, who crossed the Anduin secretly (how or where, they would not say) to harry the Orcs and other enemies that roamed between the Ephel Duath and the River." -The Two Towers

Ithilien Rangers are among the best warriors in Gondor, killing countless forces of the Enemy throughout the Ithilien passage. With Clear Shot they excel at attacking those not yet in the heat of battle. And with Concealment 18 they can dodge any return fire with relative ease. Coupled with height or with Faramir their ranged attacks are deadly.

"'Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship. In those days our bounds were away south beyond the mouths of Anduin, and Umbar, the nearest of their realms, acknowledged our sway. But that is long since. 'Tis many lives of Men since any passed to or fro between us. Now of late we have learned that the Enemy has been among them, and they are gone over to Him, or back to Him; they were ever ready to His will as have so many also in the East. I doubt not that the days of Gondor are numbered, and the walls of Minas Tirith are doomed, so great is His strength and malice.'" -The Two Towers

The Haradrim are the greatest of Gondor's foes during the War of the Ring. The Infantry, though weak on the defense, are fast and strong. They can reposition easily with Scatter and Disengage. And with Lob Weapons they can attack at Range when on a great height (when that would happen I can't say ). Volthrax seemed the right choice of general.

"There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, bastards of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world.

Already, years before, Gollum had beheld her, Sméagol who pried into all dark holes, and in past days he had bowed and worshipped her, and the darkness of her evil will walked through all the ways of his weariness beside him, cutting him off from light and from regret. And he had promised to bring her food. But her lust was not his lust. Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand, who only desired death for all others, mind and body, and for herself a glut of life, alone, swollen till the mountains could no longer hold her up and the darkness could not contain her." -The Two Towers

Shelob is a deadly creature in the dark. Possessing both Lurking Ambush and Lurk In Shadows, she works well in the shadowy caves atop the stairs of Cirith Ungol. Lastly her Paralysis Sting Special Attack can destroy Order Markers, rendering her foes hapless to further onslaught. With 6 Defense, only Samwise the Brave stands a chance against her. As a feral monster, Shelob follows Ragnar.

"Slowly his hand went to his bosom, and slowly he held aloft the Phial of Galadriel. For a moment it glimmered, faint as a rising star struggling in heavy earthward mists, and then as its power waxed, and hope grew in Frodo's mind, it began to burn, and kindled to a silver flame, a minute heart of dazzling light, as though Eärendil had himself come down from the high sunset paths with the last Silmaril upon his brow. The darkness receded from it until it seemed to shine in the centre of a globe of airy crystal, and the hand that held it sparkled with white fire.

Frodo gazed in wonder at this marvellous gift that he had so long carried, not guessing its full worth and potency. Seldom had he remembered it on the road, until they came to Morgul Vale, and never had he used it for fear of its revealing light. Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! he cried, and knew not what he had spoken; for it seemed that another voice spoke through his, clear, untroubled by the foul air of the pit." -The Two Towers

The Phial of Galadriel is Frodo's greatest tool against Shelob, destroying the effects of any Shadow Spaces or powers that trigger off them within 8 clear sight spaces. Shelob will have to attack from out of clear sight in order to use Lurking Ambush.

~TAF

Last edited by TheAverageFan; September 12th, 2021 at 10:57 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards