Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
May 2 Anniversary Countdown, celebration suggestions

There are 8 days left until May 2, Heroscapers.com's fifth anniversary. I've started a 24-day countdown (since 4/8 ) by suggesting ways to celebrate this happy occasion.

My first suggestion? I'd sure be lost if this site were to suddenly disappear. The amount and usefulness of fan-generated content needs to stick around--maps, Unit Strategy Guides, custom figure content, etc. Maintaining all this data costs money, and that's why I'm a Site Supporter, along with 403 other members.

24) Contribute to Heroscapers.com by becoming a Site Supporter.

23) Find and play the game with others.
22) Playtest and critique custom figure designs from the C3V and SoV.
21) Study GreyOwl's HeroScape Customizing Compendium to design a quality custom army card.
20) Follow the C3G project; you're no longer limited to ten superheroes and a tiny Master Set.
19) Use the Reputation system to encourage and recognize quality posts.
18 ) Study the Unit Strategy Guides.

Encompassed about by mountain waves

Last edited by UtahScott; April 24th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:15 AM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: May 2 Anniversary Countdown, celebration suggestions

Keep the game alive by playing regularly with others--but first you have to find others. You can look for local gamers within your zip code by using the "Find Gamers" feature on www.boardgamegeek.com, or by looking for gaming groups on www.meetup.com, or here using the Meet Local Players threads. You can also setup the game at your local gaming store.

23) Find and play the game with others.

Old April 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

I got another player into Heroscape today, who immediatly purchased about $80 worth of it. I didn't read this till after though. Of course that seems to happen a few times a week now with more than 20 new players introduced in the past 2 months.

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Keep it up, lafleurhero (hope business stays good for you). Maybe some of us Utahns can engage in an inter-state throwdown with you this year...

Today I'll focus on another aspect of keeping our game alive: once you have players, you need figures to play with, and since the official game is dead, there are a couple customs projects I'd like to point you towards:

The C3V project, and the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Both groups plan on making their releases compatible with each other and with the official game. The C3V project will be creating all-new custom waves from scratch, while the Soldiers of Valhalla look to tweak the best of existing custom designs and put an "unofficially official" stamp on them.

Both projects could use your input, feedback and figure playtesting.
22) Playtest and critique custom figure designs from the C3V and SoV.

Last edited by UtahScott; April 12th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Bolo knows what's in an order marker Bolo knows what's in an order marker

I have been and will continue to be a Site Supporter.

24) Contribute to Heroscapers.com by becoming a Site Supporter.

If a chicken and a 1/2, can lay an egg and a 1/2 in a day and a 1/2, how long would it take a grasshopper with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a cucumber?
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

I still think people here are jumping the gun on customs. It has only been what 2 months since the last new release? At least wait till NHSD and see if there is any new or changed news about Heroscape licensing. I may be in the minority on this but the majority isn't always right. Even if the nay-sayers (which seem to be the majority) are correct and there will never be any more official Heroscape, it is still too early to start making "official" customs. I do not support the project as it is. It may change next year.

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurhero View Post
I still think people here are jumping the gun on customs. It has only been what 2 months since the last new release? At least wait till NHSD and see if there is any new or changed news about Heroscape licensing. I may be in the minority on this but the majority isn't always right. Even if the nay-sayers (which seem to be the majority) are correct and there will never be any more official Heroscape, it is still too early to start making "official" customs. I do not support the project as it is. It may change next year.
Wake up, man! Heroscape is dead! DEAD! They're all dead, I tell you! We're the only ones left! Oh God, what will we do? What CAN we do?? How will we survive? What will we eat? Where will we go? How will we ever move on??

I was a nay-sayer once. Man, cowboys are heavy.
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Individual TDs are free to accept or not accept SoV/C3V units as they choose, of course. They are, as you said elsewhere, customs, and you may wish to forbid them at your events just as R˙chean, who is wonderful in every way, will not allow them at GenCon.

If there comes a time when you change your mind, they will be there. For me, at the rate C3V and SoV are cranking out units (joke, people ), and with the high standards both groups are maintaining, I'll allow them at most of my events.

Heroscape isn't Magic the Gathering (or chess, for that matter) with its structured tournament system and formats. Individual tournament directors can and should make decisions for what best serves their own local Scape-playing communities. If you are pleased with the way your events are going for your local group, I wouldn't want you to change a thing.

As to your suggestion that the SoV and C3V are working too quickly, well, all I can say is it doesn't seem that way to me. Both groups were formed quickly, but the processes are not ones that led to piles and piles of customs getting popped out all over the place.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
how do I look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Quote:
Wake up, man! Heroscape is dead! DEAD! They're all dead, I tell you! We're the only ones left! Oh God, what will we do? What CAN we do?? How will we survive? What will we eat? Where will we go? How will we ever move on??

I was a nay-sayer once. Man, cowboys are heavy.

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
While I'm sorry to see that negativity had to be brought into what was supposed to be a celebratory thread, I'd like to point out that C3V/SoV would've been largely the same projects, with the same goals, standards and quality control, if they had started while Heroscape was still in production. Plus, at this point the groups would continue working even if Heroscape resumed production. Support these projects or not, but the timing of the projects should have little to do with one's opinion.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

I plan on celebrating it by finishing up my first strategy guide that's been sitting around unfinished for a few months

Oh well, at least it'll get done.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Back from Real Life now.
Quote:
I still think people here are jumping the gun on customs. It has only been what 2 months since the last new release?
Mid-November, actually; time flies when the game is dead, Dead, dead!

You must remember that customs have been online since the .net days, if I recall. This isn't a new thing. I'm not advocating customs as much as I'm excited about what the underlying frameworks of the aforementioned customs projects will produce--a living continuation of a dead game, internally consistent and backwards-compatible with the official releases. It's a new item on the menu, and you don't have to order it; do whatever you and your fellow players enjoy.
Quote:
At least wait till NHSD and see if there is any new or changed news about Heroscape licensing. I may be in the minority on this but the majority isn't always right. Even if the nay-sayers (which seem to be the majority) are correct and there will never be any more official Heroscape, it is still too early to start making "official" customs. I do not support the project as it is. It may change next year.
I've playtested a few C3V designs. They're fun. They fill gaps. I don't want to wait until this summer, let alone NHSD. If the WotC transfer is any guideline, more than eighteen months elapsed between the official transfer and advance teasers for MasterSet 3; tack that onto the six months since last November and it's a two year wait time for more official figures, if a summer announcement is forthcoming. I think these custom projects will do much to stem abandonment of the game by some percentage of players. And NHSD isn't a monolithic thing, it's scattered groups who party around the same time. I moved our date back a week because a longtime player could never make the second October Saturday. There is no HeroScape playstyle dogma, nor should there be. Play it so it's fun for you and yours.

I echo the earlier sentiments of Dad-Scaper and Sherman Davies, but I don't think lafleurhero's being negative.

Back to the original topic...

I'm going to run out of ideas before I post 24 things, so anyone may join in if they desire. I'll continue on in the customs vein for a few more posts. A lot goes into making a custom, and if you want to create a good one, you need to do some research. GreyOwl has come to the rescue with his (second edition, now) HeroScape Customizing Compendium. 50+ pages of design theory, covering everything from suggested fonts to rebasing custom figures.

21) Study GreyOwl's HeroScape Customizing Compendium to design a quality custom army card.

Next, any elaborate customs project will be well-advised to follow in the footsteps of the comic-book superhero C3G. Their two-year anniversary is this month, and they've released 80+ Superhero-themed army cards, not to mention complete expansion sets with multiple maps and interlinked storylines, custom glyphs, destructible objects...the list goes on and on... Take that Marvel HeroScape set out of the dusty corner and enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed, as a stand-alone brother of the original game.

20) Follow the C3G project; you're no longer limited to ten superheroes and a tiny Master Set.

HSers.com is a pretty good community, and it maintains it through individual effort. There is a system in place to reward quality posts, called the Reputation system. If you see something that's well-reasoned, is a good resource, and makes this site better, thank the source and give some Reputation to the poster. Others will do likewise to your quality posts. You need at least thirty Rep points to actually contribute to others' totals, and you can get 20 right off the bat by becoming a Site Supporter (see #24).

19) Use the Reputation system to encourage and recognize quality posts.

Okay, caught up now.

Last edited by UtahScott; April 13th, 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion