Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old April 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Amazing Volcano, with instructions, tutorial photos coming

I was perusing the threads looking for a decent looking volcano, and couldn't quite find what I wanted. With some really old clay, some cheap paint, and some of my mother's candles, I made my own. I was really worried about getting it to look good. I'm generally so OCD that if something's not official, I won't use it in most cases. So my goal was to create something that looked so good that it could have been an official release. This is what I came up with:

I think it turned out pretty good. The color difference between the volcano rock and the Marvel asphalt pieces isn't noticeable under normal light. I need a little bit of touch up paint where some of the wax broke off.

Okay, per request, I'm adding a how-to to this post. I am also planning on making a second volcano which I will start this week and I will add pics as I do that.

How to build a volcano

Materials required: Molding clay, 7-hex base (I used a concrete piece from Marvel because I never use the concrete pieces), black, white, and bright red paints (I used some generic art paint), 2-3 different tones of red candles (I went to a craft store and bought a cheap tall red-coated candle, a dark maroon scented candle, and a deep-red candle), a couple of small paint brushes (I used a couple that came with my sister's art set, one was flat and broad and one was a very small round one), glue (I didn't glue this one and it came off while I was moving it. I glued it back on using a quick dry construction glue)

Step 1: Pound clay out into a flat, more or less rectangular form

Step 2: Tear away parts along the top to create a somewhat jagged top to the volcano. I wanted to have one side much lower than the other and have several flow off points. I also wanted to have a hole low on the high side for the lava to flow from. The top edge should look rough, like natural rock. This part will define the ultimate shape of your volcano

Step 3: Form a conical shape with the clay form, connecting the ends. Place this on the base and press into your desired shape. Some stretching, pinching, or reforming may need done to get desired shape. Try to avoid smoothing out the clay to maintain a natural look.

Step 4: If you don't like what you have before you, wad up the clay and start over. If you do like the form you have, continue to step 5.

ALTERNATE: I used steps 1-4, but my sister proposed the idea of using a common kitchen funnel and molding the clay to that, then tearing off the clay to form the 'skyline' if you will, of the volcano. The only possible problem I could see with this is if the clay sticks to the funnel, the form may be destroyed when you remove it.

Step 5: Let the clay dry until completely hard

Note: Depending on the brushes you have or the patience you have, you may want to do steps 9 and 10 to paint the inside before completing step 6. I didn't do it that way, but it might be a good idea.

Step 6: Lift the form from the base. It may be slightly stuck, but if you don't glue it on, it will eventually break. Apply glue to the bottom of the clay form and set the form back to the base. This may take some patience as the clay will have formed to the creases on the hex and needs to be placed exactly where it was. Let the glue dry. Ensure it dries and bonds completely by gently lifting the volcano by the clay part and bump it against something or apply gentle force as though you wish to slide the volcano from the base. If the volcano comes off, repeat this step until it stays or you are otherwise satisfied.

Step 7: On a small surface (preferably either disposable, cleanable, or somethign that it doesn't matter is stained) mix a little bit of white paint with a fair amount of black paint. Test the color by applying a very small amount to the volcano and let it dry. Ideally, it should match the color of either the grey part of lava tiles or the color of the Marvel asphalt tiles. Continue adding small amounts of black or white until you are satisfied with the color.

Step 8: Paint the entire exterior of the volcano and the parts of the base that show. Let dry.

Step 9: Mix a little bit of black paint with a fair amount of red paint. Test as above. The color should match up to the dark red on the lava field tiles. Continue modifying by adding black and red paint until you are satisfied with the color.

Step 10: Paint the inside of the volcano, focusing mainly on the upper half or above the lowest break in the top of your volcano. Don't worry about reaching the very bottom, as that will be covered by the lava. I also added a little bit of red anywhere the clay had a crevice.

Step 11: Time for the lava. If your candles are not in any kind of container, I would either melt them in a pot or place them on a saucer to contain the liquid wax. I placed my red coated candle in a pot and heated it up. This also allowed us to reheat any wax that ran off the volcano and use it again. We lit the other two candles.

Note: If at any time during steps 12 and 13 you do something with the wax that you don't like, stop immediately, break the wax from the volcano, reheat, and reapply.

Step 12: As you get liquid wax from the candles, begin to pour the wax onto the volcano. I poured the wax so that it ran down from the dips in the top of my volcano. Anywhere there was a point lower than what was immediately surrounding it, I added a stream of wax. Be careful, precise, and slow. Focus only on the streams of lava flowing down the sides for the moment.

Step 13: Begin pouring wax into the center of the volcano. Only pour a little at a time. The wax will flow out of any holes or openings in the volcano. Slowly, the wax will build up and block the holes, while giving you a lava stream coming out of the opening. Several strategies can be used to decrease cooling time. For openings around the base, I blew gently on the wax as it came out. To cool the wax on the inside of the volcano, I put an ice cube inside the volcano and under the base. Once all the holes are clogged, use whatever color you have most of and pour more in at a time until it starts flowing over the top. Then begin alternating colors again. Once you are satisfied with the way the lava flows over the lowest points of your volcano, apply a final bit of wax and blow strongly into the center of the volcano. This will cause the wax to dry in a slightly wavy form and make it look fluid.

Step 14: Touchup work. If there are any spots not covered by paint or wax, use small amounts of wax or paint to cover them. Be careful not to get paint on the wax. If any wax is crusted on the sides of the base, heat a metal instrument such as a knife and remove it. DO NOT BREAK IT OFF. This can cause connected wax to come off and look bad.

That's it. I'll add pictures when I get to making the second one.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; April 7th, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Bigger pictures. Thanks Retlaw
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Volcano - Tai-Pan's first custom

Wow.....thats amazing. I think that has to be one of the best volcanos I have seen. Its just amazing. Keep up the good work.

DragonSlayer2

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Did you take any pics of the process? It would be interesting to see how you put this all together.

Great job!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Looks nice - any chance at getting some bigger pictures?

Nevermind -- I figured it out:

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How did you do that? I uploaded them to googledocs and then copied them to here and couldn't find anyway anywhere to make them bigger.

I don't have any pictures, but it was so much fun and turned out so well, I'm thinking about making another one to offer as a tournament prize next month. Then I can make a tutorial for it. If you're interested in a picture-less explanation, I can do that too. It's really not hard at all, and literally anyone can do it.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Utgars_General is surprisingly tart

Please, at least make a text block for us until you make a second, then throw in some pics!

My Customs Last Updated: June 9th, 2011
-Now with space-and-time saving organization, and 'Nids!
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Just make sure not to leave it out on a map in the sun! Or you could if you want a real lava effect on adjacent tiles by the end of the day...

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM

We don't have enough sun or enough days without wind to be able to play HeroScape outdoors in Wyoming, so that's not a problem.

An additional bonus is this volcano adds a pleasant smell of strawberries to any battlefield.

Jugger

Old April 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM

masonator97 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Wow, that is one really cool volcano! Keep up the good work.

The cake is a lie...
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Nice! +Rep

Edit: Sorry, have to spread it around some more.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
How did you do that? I uploaded them to googledocs and then copied them to here and couldn't find anyway anywhere to make them bigger.

I don't have any pictures, but it was so much fun and turned out so well, I'm thinking about making another one to offer as a tournament prize next month. Then I can make a tutorial for it. If you're interested in a picture-less explanation, I can do that too. It's really not hard at all, and literally anyone can do it.
Just remove the "th_" in the image name, so that:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/th_005-1.jpg

becomes:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...6631/005-1.jpg
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Re: Amazing Volcano, with instructions, tutorial photos comi

Thanks, I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computer coding.

Would someone please rep Retlaw, I can't for a while still.

Jugger

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles