Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker
Re: Speed/Range vs. Bonding vs Major Q9

Depending on the map of course....

In a battle like that - start off with low threat units, stuff the other guys will take out in their second wave of attacks. Avoid Q9/Braxas/A+Bonds..and avoid the Hive+Stingers. Most armies have only one or two options for taking down some of those powerful combos, and will focus on that first. If you take a solid army of B-/B units that fly under the radar you will find you can set up and ride out the first wave or two.

Easy to play, but not real low profile:
MDG 100
10th Foot x4 300

Low profile options:
110 NoNW
30 Eldgrim
50 MW
210 Aubrien Archer x3

Its fast, durable enough and offers potential for a lot of shots without drawing immediate attention.

If you just cant lay low that long, at 400 I would go with:
240 Stingers x4
160 SBN
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM

genesiseffect75 is surprisingly tart

What about swapping out 1 of the Stingers for Nagrubs x2 for bonding?

Wow, 7 attack for SBN - that's a piece I wouldn't probably have considered but it's awesome.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM

genesiseffect75 is surprisingly tart

Or what about :

Q9
Raelin
Stingers x2
Marcu

Does that seem too random?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you want to go pretty low profile, you could try

Q9 180
Raelin (ROTV) 260
DW9k 400

Get the two borgs up on some height with raelin hiding behind them. Three figures will not look very intimidating at all, especialy with the much maligned deathwalker in there so there is a good chance you would get ignored off the bat. Q9 and DW9k both give good options for anti squad or anti hero with good range.

Order marker managment should be pretty easy. Hopefully you could manuever them and pick off targets of oppurtunity.

The big risk is if anyone has Dead eye Dan, he could kill DW9 with one lucky shot. Low number of figures can go against you also because it doesnt allow much room for error.

However, it should be an easy army to use and has the potential to do well.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

I dont think anyone will ignore Q9 if they have seen it played or played it themselves - and the threat that army represents with only 5 lives on the hitting power is awful fragile when two bad rolls could end it all. It has the potential to lots of damage but also the potential to get beat up quickly.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

Other important parts of free-for-all games are politics and intimidation. It is good to have units that have relatively good survivability and not to have large/huge figures (particularly heroes like dragons and hivelords.) In my experiences, higher point units are less likely to be attacked because they are not 'easy points.' And, large figures just tend to draw a lot of attention.

Therefore, some units I would recommend are Knights of Weston, Marrden Hounds, Sentinels of Jandar, Minions of Utgar, Roman Legionnaires, and Microcorp Agents. Other units that are OK are Deathstalkers, Anubian Wolves, Heavy Gruts with Nerak, and even Shaolin Monks or Einar Imperium with Raelin. While those last two do not have as great of defense (without Raelin), their mobility and multiple attacks are much more useful in free-for-all games.

I might try something like this:
  • 2x Roman Legionnaires 100
  • Marcus Decimus Gallus 100 (200)
  • Ne-Gok-Sa 90 (290)
  • Brunak 110 (400)
You might consider swapping out Brunak for Airborne Elite, as they are soldiers and would give you ranged power.

Or a knight-based army
  • 3x Knights 210
  • Alastair Macdirk 110 (320)
  • Eldgrim 30 (350)
  • Marro Warriors (400)
Eldgrim's spirit works well on Marro Warriors.

My final bit of advice is do not be the first to attack an opponent next to you. You just might provoke them into hunting you down for the rest of the game.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart

In army 1, the obvious substitution is sonya for the marro warriors cause you cant use x2 of them. For army 2, you could switch Krug with grimnak and switch Q10 with x1 heavy gruts and one more arrow and one more swog and isamu. You dont have to do this but i dont think Q10 fits there. Or you can keep krug and switch Q10 for 1 arrow and 4 swogs and isamu (or 2 arrows and 2 swogs and marcu) if you like krug.

The army you should chose is army 3 considering you are a novice and that army is easy to use because really, who can't use Q9 and raelin? Also, army 2 can be easy too use as well because there is minimal OM placement. I would avoid army 1 because all of the figures there require strategic moves and it is more complicated. If you like the speed and range idea, try Cyprien, Sonya and either x2 Shades, or x2 Microcorps or one of each.

Good luck!

"The greatest advice ever given to me was don't be an idiot. Before I do anything, I always think, would an idiot do this? If they would, I don't do it."

~Dwight, The Office
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you can't get Raelin I advise you go with Q9 + Minionsx2. It's a slow moving army but it hits hard from both range and melee -- and it has lots of defense.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion