Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Standardized tests are the stupidest thing ever.

Hell, even the AP tests don't really mimic college courses at all.

In general, college is about as similar to high school as basketball is to golf.

Did I mention that I make weird analogies?
I know that standardized testing is lame, but the colleges do need something that shows your aptitude level. It's easier for them if the high schools handle it so that everything comes preformated and usable and they don't have to orchestrate all those tests. The SAT in some form or another is here to stay, but ALL the rest can go back to the backwater moron that thought them up.
Sort of... but at the end of the day, standardized testing just gives you an estimate. It often just measures the approximate socioeconomic level of the student, or how good they are at taking that kind of test. The difference between a 1400 and 1500 or a 1500 and 1600 on the SAT is largely one of how much studying you did to prepare for that particular test. If someone gets a 1200 on the SAT is she necessarily way less intelligent or conscientious than that guy who got a 1570? Maybe she came to the U.S. 3 years ago and her parents speak exclusively Spanish or Polish at home.

It doesn't really measure memory at all.

Hard work and finding a subject or career that you enjoy is far more important than your score on some silly 'Scholastic Aptitude Test.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane
Quote:
Standardized tests are the stupidest thing ever.

Hell, even the AP tests don't really mimic college courses at all.

In general, college is about as similar to high school as basketball is to golf.

Did I mention that I make weird analogies?
I know that standardized testing is lame, but the colleges do need something that shows your aptitude level. It's easier for them if the high schools handle it so that everything comes preformated and usable and they don't have to orchestrate all those tests. The SAT in some form or another is here to stay, but ALL the rest can go back to the backwater moron that thought them up.
Sort of... but at the end of the day, standardized testing just gives you an estimate. It often just measures the approximate socioeconomic level of the student, or how good they are at taking that kind of test. The difference between a 1400 and 1500 or a 1500 and 1600 on the SAT is largely one of how much studying you did to prepare for that particular test. If someone gets a 1200 on the SAT is she necessarily way less intelligent or conscientious than that guy who got a 1570? Maybe she came to the U.S. 3 years ago and her parents speak exclusively Spanish or Polish at home.

It doesn't really measure memory at all.

Hard work and finding a subject or career that you enjoy is far more important than your score on some silly 'Scholastic Aptitude Test.'
I quite agree, which is why I always recommend that people heading into college should do their first two years at the highest quality community college they can find and for them to do all their general education requirements there (they transfer the easiest and it's better to get them out of the way early). There's no need for SAT scores, it cuts your overall college costs drastically, and transfer students get into quality four year universities before high schoolers.

Colleges admit students in the following order: continuing students, transferring students, returning students (people who've got some college but have been away from it for more than a year), and then high school applicants. Transferring is the way to go.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Well, in Massachusetts we have a thing called MCAS. It is the "Massachusetts Comprehension and Assessment System". MOst people find it mindnumbingly boring, but I like it! I always get advanced, and they are extremely easy. We also have a thing called G.R.A.D.E., which is basically an MCAS dedicated to literacy. I also pass those with flying colors (in fact, in seventh grade, I was the top scorer in my section* of the school) Oh, by the way, I thought the SATs went up to a maximum of 2400 now. Yes, now that I think of it, they did. So, what specifically do colleges (let's say MIT for example) look at when going over an application?

*My school was divided into three sections, Gold, Maroon, and Blue. I was in gold. I actually do not know if I got the highest score in the entire school, but it is highly possible. (most kids in our town are illiterate, one exception being me and johnnyscaper.)

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Stop bragging about being smart in a thread about how you got an F.
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Everything in my school is on the internet now. We don't get report cards sent home, you have to look on the computer to find out what you got. Just thought I'd say it...

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
Cool! I have to see Johnnys grades! I can use it to knock him down a few pegs.

But that would suck. Everyone has access to the students at your schools grades.

My Signature
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
I took the SAT about 6 years ago; it was still on the 2 part, 1600 point system. If it's on a 2400 point scale, I'd assume the average MIT student has at least a 2100. I won't tell you how I did, but I didn't beat my sister, which kinda bugged me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
Everything in my school is on the internet now. We don't get report cards sent home, you have to look on the computer to find out what you got. Just thought I'd say it...
Same here. And dfire, you can't see anyone's grades. You have to put your username, which is created by parts your school's name and your full name, and your password, which is anything you can come up with. No one can get in but you and your parents, who have their own account.

At least, that's how it is here.

By the way, my friend, who was in 7th grade at the time, passed the SAT.

Grinnell College '16
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
When are you allowed to take the SATs?

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
When are you allowed to take the SATs?
Pretty much whenever they're holding it. There's no age limit, but you'll need some teacher/administrator backing to take it earlier than the typical junior/senior crowd.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:48 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i didn't take my SAT's.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
That explains a lot k/h!

My Signature

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General