Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha
Have you talked to other students in your class? Do they have the same problems with her?
Considering I'm in the same class, I would say he's over reacting. Yeah, she kinda avoids his questions - but he really doesn't ask anything specifically.
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
You know that I do Johnny. Just because you don't ask any questions at all doesn't mean that she answers mine (you non-participating wretch).

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I can give a little bit of the teacher's side since I work for a school district and deal with many, many educators. Usually an honor roll teacher expects their students to work hard and earn their grades right from the onset. If a student is failing, that's what they've earned and that's what they'll get. No extra credit and no extra help.

Normally a teacher will explain why a student is failing, but some are jerks (teachers are people too). The easiest way to find out if a teacher is being unreasonable is to go, like many have suggested, to your guidance counselor. Their job is to help you do well in school by pointing out what you need to do to improve, what you can add to make up for past mistakes, and to police unfair practices by your teachers. My sister (an honor roll student herself) had to go to her guidance counselor to get the grade she deserved because her teacher graded her low because she didn't agree with the views expressed in the paper my sister turned in. The guidance counselor is your friend and an asset, put it to use.

As for the teacher being fired because of low test scores? Not likely. Teacher's unions at the K-12 level are notoriously strong and teachers usually only get fired in their first two years (before they have tenure) or if they do something out and out illegal, like sleeping with a student. What would likely happen to a bad teacher whose students struggle because of their unhelpful practices is a talking to from the principal. If the principal has to do too many of those they start writing the teacher up for as many things as possible. When the teacher has finally amassed enough write ups then they can be fired....maybe. Like I said, notoriously strong unions.
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Do what Dark Spade suggested and talk to the guidance counselor. As Grungebob pointed out on the first page, I'm still not convinced that there wasn't a simple grading error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I don't think I saw this discussed, but is there a chance that there was a mistake? I mean I find it hard to believe that an F came as a complete surprise to you... Usually you know when you are performing unsatisfactorily.
That, or perhaps one project or test carried an extreme amount of weight toward the total grade and you messed up badly on said project or test and didn't realize how much of a percentage that it would count toward your total grade. If you did okay (not great) on most of your projects/tests/quizes but clunked on one (the wrong one to clunk on), then it's understandable to be surprised by the "F".

It's best to be straight with your parents, they might be a little upset, but I would hope that they would appreciate your concern (see EJ) and you all could work together to figure out how to rectify it and get you back on track.

The one thing I have always stressed with my 15 year-old daughter is to get into good study habits. She has a great memory and her school work always came pretty easy, but I told her in elementary school that she better not just rely on that memory and should learn how to study properly because middle school would get harder. When she got in middle school, she got great grades but I bugged her to keep up on her good study habbits because highschool will be much harder. Now that she's in highschool, she has a 93.4 average, but I still tell her to keep the good habbits for studying because college will ge even harder. Seems to be working so far. If she came to me with an "F" and I knew that she was working as hard as usual and not sluffing off, I wouldn't be mad, but more curious as to how it happened and what needs to be done about it for next time.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
Im having trouble too. My math teacher hates me! I had a 79 for an average. And guess what? SHE WOULDNT BUMP IT TO AN 80! WTF! I asked her why and she got pissed. We did a binder check and she gave me a 9/10 because I was missing 2 note sheets. Other people that had 10/10s were missing a lot more!

My Signature
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire
Im having trouble too. My math teacher hates me! I had a 79 for an average. And guess what? SHE WOULDNT BUMP IT TO AN 80! WTF! I asked her why and she got pissed. We did a binder check and she gave me a 9/10 because I was missing 2 note sheets. Other people that had 10/10s were missing a lot more!
Welcome to life.

IF you earned an 79, why should you expect it to be bumped upt to an 80?
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My science teacher pisses me off. Every day we do these warm-ups. Usually they are quick little questions about something we've been doing. Sometimes, they are little riddles or puzzles. One day, we had a puzzle in which we had six buttons arranged in the following pattern:

We had to make them into a row of three and a row of four using only two moves, which could be as far as we wanted. I moved Button #2 down to A, and #3 down to B. (The letters were placed there by me for the purpose of explanation.) I beleive there were a total of 7 possible ways to do it. She only accepted one of them.
I showed it to her: "Um, excuse me, but why isn't this right?"
She responded: "Well, you can only move two buttons."
Me: "I only moved two, see? I moved this one here, and this one here!" [Note: in writing this sounds very annoyed and rude, but I was using a very plesant tone of voice. (That of a student trying to understand something they don't)]
Her: "But [insert name here], you can only move two buttons!"
Me: "But Ms. Bader, I only moved two, see?"

At this point, she got mad and said she was tired of people yelling at her because they wanted credit for wrong answers. So she gave us all full credit for trying.

She's actually a PE teacher, but they had enough PE teachers, so they moved her to science, which gets me started on the whole public education system here. I don't really want to do that now, so I'll just stop typing.

Grinnell College '16
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz
My science teacher pisses me off. Every day we do these warm-ups. Usually they are quick little questions about something we've been doing. Sometimes, they are little riddles or puzzles. One day, we had a puzzle in which we had six buttons arranged in the following pattern:

We had to make them into a row of three and a row of four using only two moves, which could be as far as we wanted. I moved Button #2 down to A, and #3 down to B. (The letters were placed there by me for the purpose of explanation.) I beleive there were a total of 7 possible ways to do it. She only accepted one of them.
I showed it to her: "Um, excuse me, but why isn't this right?"
She responded: "Well, you can only move two buttons."
Me: "I only moved two, see? I moved this one here, and this one here!" [Note: in writing this sounds very annoyed and rude, but I was using a very plesant tone of voice. (That of a student trying to understand something they don't)]
Her: "But [insert name here], you can only move two buttons!"
Me: "But Ms. Bader, I only moved two, see?"

At this point, she got mad and said she was tired of people yelling at her because they wanted credit for wrong answers. So she gave us all full credit for trying.

She's actually a PE teacher, but they had enough PE teachers, so they moved her to science, which gets me started on the whole public education system here. I don't really want to do that now, so I'll just stop typing.
I'll bet even money that she's got tenure and so do the rest of the PE teachers. They'd just dump one if they didn't and hire a real science teacher.

The public school system is flawed. In part because the unions go far beyond their needed role of making sure teachers get a fair wage and benefits and in part because you have too many bureaucrats in government creating tests that they just love because then they can show what a good job all those new (unnecessary) policies they've added are doing instead of either giving the tax money back to the populace so that they can go with a quality private school or letting teachers teach students knowledge and how to learn rather than how to pass the local government's new favorite special test!

Sorry...as you were.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Standardized tests are the stupidest thing ever.

Hell, even the AP tests don't really mimic college courses at all.

In general, college is about as similar to high school as basketball is to golf.

Did I mention that I make weird analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Standardized tests are the stupidest thing ever.

Hell, even the AP tests don't really mimic college courses at all.

In general, college is about as similar to high school as basketball is to golf.

Did I mention that I make weird analogies?
I know that standardized testing is lame, but the colleges do need something that shows your aptitude level. It's easier for them if the high schools handle it so that everything comes preformated and usable and they don't have to orchestrate all those tests. The SAT in some form or another is here to stay, but ALL the rest can go back to the backwater moron that thought them up.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker
I kind of stumbled over this thread by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
I take pride in my work, but something is just wrong this year...it started out so right!
Code:
GeneralBeaner
Maybe Heroscape is the problem?

No, Heroscape must be the answer.

Try answering questions using Heroscape History. Hopefully your History teacher will be so confused that your grade will start to go up. She seems like the sort from what I've been able to read.

Last edited by Zorgophlats : Prenember 86th, 2079 at 42:96 ZM. Reason: enasni eht stalhpogroz

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General