Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old February 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM

myrealnameisjon is surprisingly tart
Re: Tell Walmart you want 'Scape!

Awesome, Onacara!

The other big thing is that I enjoy the fact that my FLGS allows us to play weekly games there in a safe, friendly, and comfortable environment. It's good for his business, and it's good for the game.

WalMart is never going to provide that opportunity.
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
WalMart is never going to provide that opportunity.
Nor should it, that isn't their purpose.
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathify View Post

Pretend those signs say: Wal-Mart, Is, Worthless, without, scape!
Something like this:

I know they aren't waving the signs -- their little arms got tired.
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am in the category of those not near an FLGS. I've got a hobby shop, and its nice for crafts, models and such, but they aren't a game store. We used to have a small video game store that also carried some big name collectibles, (Heroclix, DnD minis and card games like Magic, yugioh, and pokemon), and had a few small game rooms, but that closed without a trace this summer.

Nukatha is Knight of Weston...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM

GreatWhiteWolf Woo who?

WALMART AND OTHER BIG NAME STORES NEED 'SCAPE !!!!!!!

Really there is no point to go to over half of the stores unless they carry HS.
Every time I go to Target or a Walmart or a Toys R Us that doesn't carry HS, i'm going to complain.Who is with me !!
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just make sure you complain to the Toy Department manager. Complaining to anyone else inside the store is pretty much a waste of time.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker

A couple of months ago at a Wal-Mart in Kansas City I found an employee that was somewhat helpful. They had a couple of Nakita's on the shelf and nothing else. It was pretty late in the evening so I aksed a worker(who I am pretty sure was not the toy manager) in the toy dept if they knew if anymore Heroscape boosters were coming in soon. He took the Nakita pack I showed him back to the stock room. Came back a few minutes later and said they were getting 3 cases of boosters later that week, unfortunately he was unable todetermine exactly which boosters they would be. It was around the time that wave 2 was rereleased. Sure enough I went back a few days later and they had wave 2 on the shelf.

Just depends on which worker you get and what kind of a day they are having.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualScaper View Post
I told them that they could really become THE place for all things 'Scape.
Quote:
The subtitle of the website!
Your source for all things 'Scape!
Was that intentional?
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Dr Feelgood

There are capable employees, just very hit and miss on getting the good ones. Most don't give a crap. As someone who was a dept manager for 4 years at Wal-Mart (never Toys though) I know they can easily figure out what is coming (though in the case of Heroscape, they can never tell you the exact figures since it comes by the case). You could probably take the code for the case and figure out the figures from that.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathify View Post

Pretend those signs say: Wal-Mart, Is, Worthless, without, scape!
Something like this:

I know they aren't waving the signs -- their little arms got tired.

Hah! Nice! +rep!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM

CasualScaper has disabled reputation

Here's my thought on FLGSs, and I'm interested in your feedback.

I don't really shop at them. There's a pretty good one near my house, but it doesn't carry Heroscape. Most often, FLGSs are small and out of the way. They really seem to appeal to the diehard gamer. That's great and fine.

However . . .

At this point, I don't see how 'Scape would continue to have as large a sales volume or as many new 'Scapers coming along if it's only carried at FLGSs. I mean, most of the younger kids (and adults for that matter-myself included) got involved with 'Scape when we saw it on one of the box retailers' shelves and picked it up for our kids or ourselves.

Furthermore, if WotC distributes exclusively to FLGSs, I doubt their sales will be as high as with box stores. This means they're much more likely to see it as a lost cause and sooner or later drop it.

Keep it in the box stores and keep 'Scape by continually gaining new 'Scapers and providing ease of access to the product for most of the rest of us.

Any thoughts?

"I think I'd rather be a cowboy. I think I'd rather ride the range."--John Denver
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I know some FLGS do sell for slightly more than retail, but for God's sake, at least they LISTEN to a customer when they say they will buy a product if you'll just get it on the shelves.
This is a point that needs to be underscored. Why is there a thread about Walmart sightings? Because you can't count on WM stock to be consistent and available. And nothing is going to change that - it's the way that they do business. They will never special order items for you; they will never preorder items for you; they will never offer you play space or exclusives or even updates of any kind about when / if something is coming in.

I'm privileged to have a fantastic FLGS near me that's pleased to be able to offer HS. The owner has only recently been able to stock it because of the shift that WotC made to their distribution policy. I preordered Wave 2 through him and had it in hand before folks who ordered from the online shops, and I got a nice preorder discount. He also gave me the heads-up that FotA was going out of distribution, so I didn't miss out on picking up a second set.

Now, I know I'm a bit spoiled - not everyone has this kind of experience at their local stores, if they even have one. But the point that needs mentioning is that WotC can't snub the FLGS in favor of WalMart. The FLGS needs to be able to continue to price competitively with Walmart in order to stock HS.

I understand that this is immaterial for people who don't have an FLGS. But we can't view the big box store as the lifeline for scape - that's the way it's been in the past, and it's not been healthy for the game. Do you really want the future of HS to be dependent on Walmart's orders? That's been a nightmare for Marvel, and it would be a nightmare for Classic. The strength of the FLGS is the only reason that we're getting Wave 9 - that's why WotC could say that it was coming out, with or without Walmart. Do you think they'd continue to invest in a line that could be killed simply by one retailer cancelling their orders?

Bottom line - we need the FLGS more than we need Walmart. Period.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News