Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old October 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
The Disappearance by Philip Wylie. Facinating concept that needs to be updated and made into a movie. I think Wylie also wrote a book about a champion gladiator who gets frozen, and gets thawed out in the present day.
Speaking of Wylie-Gladiator stuff, he also wrote the book Gladiator in 1930, but that's about a scientist who injects his pregnant wife with a "super" serum that gives his unborn son powers. It's thought that the novel was the inspiration for Siegel and Shuster's Superman. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old October 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabSheila View Post
Quote:
The Disappearance by Philip Wylie. Facinating concept that needs to be updated and made into a movie. I think Wylie also wrote a book about a champion gladiator who gets frozen, and gets thawed out in the present day.
Speaking of Wylie-Gladiator stuff, he also wrote the book Gladiator in 1930, but that's about a scientist who injects his pregnant wife with a "super" serum that gives his unborn son powers. It's thought that the novel was the inspiration for Siegel and Shuster's Superman. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Maybe I'm mixing up my "gladiator" books ?

Next Generation

Old October 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Maybe I'm mixing up my "gladiator" books ?
I don't know. I haven't read that much of his stuff and the guy has a ton of books out there. That could definitely be the plot of one of them. It sounds like a pretty cool (no pun intended because of the being frozen in ice factor) premise.

Old October 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM

Nivik23 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Starting "The Road". Has anyone read it?
Wife has, completely loved it and she has a very good eye for good writing. Going to read it myself once I clear my backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
A Game of Thrones
Fantastic series, but be ready to join the legions of ticked off fans who have been waiting for book five for 5 years.
Make that fans who have been waiting 10 years for a GOOD book. Absoultely loved the first 3 books, in my opinion the best fantasy books out there, but I thought Crows was weak and dissappointing.

NiV23
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM

Jdet is surprisingly tart

After reading reviews of it time and time again, I'm finally starting A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

Jdet is a MacDirk Warrior...
in the Garden of Horror...
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Deeper, sequel to Tunnels.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM

Gladitor Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
A decent book...never finished it though. Right now I'm listening to Airman on tape

I'm the fart in the air conditioning, I'm always there, but usually, you never notice.

~Orson Scott Card~
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladitor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
A decent book...never finished it though. Right now I'm listening to Airman on tape
Ya, I read it one other time. Now I want to read the third book so I'm rereading the first two to refresh my memory.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

This was such an amazingly good book. A decade long history of the resurgence of English Magic during the Napoleonic wars. The author does an outstanding job of creating a seemingly accurate history in this alternate universe. More so than anything in the Harry Potter books, Clarke uses foot notes and references to other imaginary books in the universe to build on the history. There were times when I almost forgot that I was reading a fictional story so deep is her attention to detail and her ability to convey realistic ideas in a fantastical setting.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yup, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is a must read for fans of the genre. A deeper version of the Bartimaeus trilogy, if you want to go look for something with a similar theme.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post

This was such an amazingly good book. A decade long history of the resurgence of English Magic during the Napoleonic wars. The author does an outstanding job of creating a seemingly accurate history in this alternate universe. More so than anything in the Harry Potter books, Clarke uses foot notes and references to other imaginary books in the universe to build on the history. There were times when I almost forgot that I was reading a fictional story so deep is her attention to detail and her ability to convey realistic ideas in a fantastical setting.
I'm not familiar with that book, but from your description, you might also like the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik (they've been mentioned in this thread before). The books imagine how the Napoleonic Wars would have been different if dragons were real and were used as instruments of war. Pure fantasy, but Novik does a great job of building her world and history.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post

I'm not familiar with that book, but from your description, you might also like the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik (they've been mentioned in this thread before). The books imagine how the Napoleonic Wars would have been different if dragons were real and were used as instruments of war. Pure fantasy, but Novik does a great job of building her world and history.
Yup, I thoroughly enjoyed both... though I was rather underwhelmed by Tongues of Serpents. It seemed like she was just trying to set the stage for the next set of story arcs.

~Aldin, desert crossingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books