Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 27th, 2010, 12:59 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Gameday at a friend's house today. I only made it for the afternoon/evening. I got to play Kingsburg for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I played Mr. Jack for the first time also. Not bad, but I don't know if it my cup of tea. I also played Loopin Louie, which is a blast. Finally I was one of the humans beaten in BSG. We used the expansion and I got to see a Cylon Leader in action for the first time.
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgrant View Post
Gameday at a friend's house today. I only made it for the afternoon/evening. I got to play Kingsburg for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I played Mr. Jack for the first time also. Not bad, but I don't know if it my cup of tea. I also played Loopin Louie, which is a blast. Finally I was one of the humans beaten in BSG. We used the expansion and I got to see a Cylon Leader in action for the first time.
I love Loopin' Louie!

Just finished a game of Ticket to Ride with the Missus. I like to end the game suddenly with one (or two if I can get away with it) 5 or 6 drops in some random place on the board. It really pulls the rug out from under the game suddenly when you think you've got a few more turns to finish something and then Whoops! there go my last 12 cars.

It worked swimmingly this time, as I closed the game out before she could make 2 final small connections and as a result I nerfed two expensive tickets for her.

The final score was 117 - 46. She is currently not very pleased with me...

Old June 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgrant View Post
Yeah Kingsburgh is fun. Right after I played it I went out and got the expansion for my brother (owner of the game), but I've yet to play it again since (that was last October ).

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Went to a friend's house for a few games yesterday:

1) Munchkin - I've never played it before and I loved it. Unfortunately, other than the hosts, most of my friends aren't true game geeks, so I don't think they would get most of the D&D in-jokes and references in the game. But they do have most of the other Munchkin variants - Supers or Munchkin Fu would go over better with my other friends.

2) Guillotine - Short, sweet, and always fun.

3) Settlers of Catan Cities & Knights - An old favorite although this time it really dragged on. It was going well until the host couple started bickering with each other about where to place the robber. The wife felt like her husband was picking on her and she pouted for most of the game. Why can't some people separate the game from real life?
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger View Post
Went to a friend's house for a few games yesterday:

1) Munchkin - I've never played it before and I loved it. Unfortunately, other than the hosts, most of my friends aren't true game geeks, so I don't think they would get most of the D&D in-jokes and references in the game. But they do have most of the other Munchkin variants - Supers or Munchkin Fu would go over better with my other friends.

2) Guillotine - Short, sweet, and always fun.

3) Settlers of Catan Cities & Knights - An old favorite although this time it really dragged on. It was going well until the host couple started bickering with each other about where to place the robber. The wife felt like her husband was picking on her and she pouted for most of the game. Why can't some people separate the game from real life?

I feel that, this morning more than ever.

I just had a lengthy conversation with my wife about the games we play together. She's basically decided that she doesn't enjoy competing against me anymore and doesn't want to play any more games that put us in direct aggressive competition with each other.

And while I have a few co-op games, it's frustrating because this eliminates, like, 85% of my gaming library from the table with her. I'd spent the last 6 months accruing a number of 2-player games specifically for the two of us to play, but now...

She doesn't mind "as much" when it's competition amongst more than 2 people because she feels the competition is spread out. But I know in that scenario that she will - inwardly or outwardly - still feel much like the woman you mentioned. She will feel like I'm picking on her if I target her over another player, regardless of the validity of the move in terms of the game.

So, having said all that, can anyone recommend some less confrontation 2-player games? For example, we enjoy Lost Cities because while there is player interaction, its more like passive denial as opposed to active aggression.

Old June 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Started the day of with a game of Okko...then Infinite City and then Snow Tails....now we are off to the backyard so I can defend my Ladder Golf Championship title
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Started the day of with a game of Okko...then Infinite City and then Snow Tails....now we are off to the backyard so I can defend my Ladder Golf Championship title
Since you haven't yelled at me, does that mean that it was a good recommendation?

As to gaming with the wife... I have told her that I will play to the best of my ability, and try to win the game. If that means she is the target of in-game attacks, so be it. Of course, the reverse is also true, so it's a two way street there. It's worked out well.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
So, having said all that, can anyone recommend some less confrontation 2-player games? For example, we enjoy Lost Cities because while there is player interaction, its more like passive denial as opposed to active aggression.
Common issue, I think.

Dominion - depending on the cards you use, it feels like you have your own thing going on and you don't find out if you've won until the end. Without some of the 'meaner' cards, it can feel a little low on interaction, I guess, but doesn't seem to suffer for it.

Also, you can handicap yourself without throwing the game simply by trying out unconventional strategies. If you go for the throat with chapel-lab or something, she's going to be annoyed, but why not see what you can get to work with cards you don't always see as the best?

Scrabble Slam - simple, cheap. Not a tremendous game, but fine in small doses.

Ticket to Ride - but you have to focus more on getting your routes than closing hers off. My wife and I had fun each being two players. It means there is a bit more of a disconnect between you personally, and your color. "Green is going to **** of blue again..." "Stupid green" but it isn't you so much. And you can do despicable things to your other color to show it's just the game.

Colosseum - need 3 players, but my wife and I have played with each being 2. We don't bid competitively, so while you're racing each other, it's not in your face competition.

Heroscape scenarios - My son and I play against a third 'computer' player (we decide together what the computer should do).

Thunderstone - Has its faults, but you feel like you're working together against the dungeon instead of each other.

Castle Panic - Works with kids, but my wife and I have had fun trying to beat the game, ramping up the difficulty to see if we can survive.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Since you haven't yelled at me, does that mean that it was a good recommendation?

I enjoyed it...the kids were dying to get in the pool after the morning threat of showers was gone so they were not that into it.
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Learned Citadels today and loved - I bought it I liked it so much

Cash & Guns - first time with the advanced cards - I was the the first day of 6

Lots of Pipeline with the nieces ( 6 & 7 )

Blockhead - it was actually a blst with the kids and brother in law, then we got my 72 year old father in law to join and it was even better - he loved it

This week in Ft. Collins I learned
Dominion - loved it
Tammany hall - loved it ( Go Irish )
Tichu - hated it
galaxy trucker - loved it
It's alive - loved it and bought
A friends prototype about pirates that was a great fast game
Small world - enjoyed it, fun game, would like to play some more
Farlander - enjoyed it
Sturgeon - Ok card game

It has been a great week here on vacation

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
My wife seems to lean towards abstract games, mostly stuff where we're all competing for points, but there's little (or no) direct confrontation (or what confrontation there is, its not interpreted as hostile in any way).

Blokus
Ingenious
Carcassonne

Roll Through the Ages

Monopoly Deal (a fast game, but she really likes this one)

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

Anyone out there keen on the Call of Cthulu LCG from FFG? My good gaming buddy got this for me as an early B-day gift but after we played it a bit, we decided that it wasn't for us and that we'd just stick to Warhammer: Invasion.

He okay'd me to sell it or trade it.

I have the Core set in near perfect, though opened, condition AND 4 of the mini expansions.

Looking for $25 total for all of it, and $10 for shipping.

PM if interested.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games